Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Is everything alright Baal? You seem pretty wound up over this ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been in a car for about five hours and made one insulting statement because you said a dumb thing, that's all there really is to it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Wild Horses posted:

I now remembered Emporio. He's a hardcore dude who I hope we get to see again.
Emporio is very cool because he has a ghost computer and the exchange between him and Jolyne when she calls him during the Surface fight is one of my favorite things in JoJo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Is everything alright Baal? You seem pretty wound up over this ...

That's just baal, he gets pissy sometimes

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He knows who I am

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

He knows who I am

Then he knows how pissy you get :v:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think the best kid character was Hayato. The kid had pretty big stones to confront Kira multiple times even after finding out he was a serial killer.
He also kisses his mom like an.. action... hero would...?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FirstAidKite posted:

Then he knows how pissy you get :v:

What is that face supposed to be, do you have like double the face are you crying and your nose is the only see able part of it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

I've been in a car for about five hours and made one insulting statement because you said a dumb thing, that's all there really is to it.

I think it would be a good musical choice (as I said, with a new verse and perhaps a more sombre tone), though I respect your difference in opinion. There's no need to get lovely discussing musical themes in an anime

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I was rooting for Sono Chi no Sadame to play, but after seeing those edits on Youtube I think the one with Stand Proud actually fits the best.

It would've been a huge departure from the manga but it'd be neat if for a just a second DIO sees Jonathan instead of Joseph as he's about to explode. But I guess part of DIO's character is that he's moved beyond his feud with Jonathan on to larger things. Maybe. I dunno.

His feud with Jonathan is the sole reason he wants to kill all Joestars in the first place.

You're right that he'd tell himself "Oh, I've moved on!" because he tries to do that all the time for other things (his family, growing up in poverty, being human in the first place) and he even tries to downplay that he's afraid of the Joestars, but he's completely obsessed with them and how they're going to gently caress him over [i[this[/i] time. Dio's just the type of guy who goes "I'm not THAT obsessive!" while he obsesses over his enemies.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think it would be a good musical choice (as I said, with a new verse and perhaps a more sombre tone), though I respect your difference in opinion. There's no need to get lovely discussing musical themes in an anime

That's fair

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://youtu.be/iuOSP0oAi5s

let's talk about sick combo attacks

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like Jolyne and Weather's

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Jo2uke and Joshuu's is loving incredible.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

After thinking about it some, the fact that the Stone Ocean crew is mostly killed off doesn't bug me as much as the way they're killed off. I don't feel any... closure? I mean, fast deaths are the Jojo way, but the way Jolyne and friends die doesn't have the same impact on me that Avdol, Kakyoin, or even fatty have. I think Araki might have forgotten how to do character deaths or something, because I remember Steel Ball Run having this problem with Hot Pants. I didn't even know Hot Pants had died when I first read through SBR, so I thought she had just disappeared from the story. Then again, I remember Mountain Tim and Gyro having better deaths, so :shrug:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's just a thing that happens sometimes. Ryu Jose in Mobile Suit Gundam meets a sudden end and you never get any real closure despite the fact he's been through the whole show with the characters, meanwhile the focus is on another character who you got properly introduced to only a while ago. It can be a good way to make deaths tragic and sad but on the other side of that coin it doesn't give any real closure and characters are just left with nothing.

I think Kakyoin was handled well with how hard he bit it because in his last thoughts he gets to be at peace and Avdol's is sudden but it's something he warned would happen. In comparison there's Narancia who just gets hosed and never gets to have real closure, but Abbachio got a flashback to his past which closed up his character for us. The less said about this with the entire Part 6 cast aside from Jolyne the better.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I guess what it is for me is that there isn't really a moment dedicated to the characters. With Avdol, you have Polnareff's reaction, and with Narancia, the cast has a moment of "poo poo, he's dead." I remember part 6 just sort of being "everyone's dead now I guess." I mean, they not only killed off Jolyne, the protagonist, but also Jotaro, the cute mascot character of the entire series. It just sort of happens, and that's that. But, eh, I might also be misremembering it.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 23, 2015

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Really the only only one I'm bothered by is Hot Pants because I didn't notice it until after the book. Araki good at killing charecters is what I'm saying

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Weather's stand is the one that kills Pucci in the end so he gets that at least

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The quick and unceremonious death works at times though. It definitely doesn't work with Hot Pants in part 7, but in Stone Ocean everything is going to poo poo so horribly and so quickly that there's no real time to acknowledge it for the characters. It's a nice turn away from the romanticised view of death in fiction too. Loads of people die and no one realises, cares or even reacts to it because they're so busy.

Stone Ocean's ending is a great "You're hosed" thing. It's also nice to see a villain where they get their powerup and the actually gently caress the good guys up instead of being stupid, showboating and blowing it entirely. *cough*DIO*cough*

e: Also, JoJolion's scanlators don't even have a raw yet so chapter 49 is a ways off yet. The translator predicts a week at least.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 23, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like how DIO had, like, fifty chances to kill Jotaro and just decided "Nah, I'm going to draw this out longer. There's no way anything bad could come of THAT. :v:"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The quick and unceremonious death works at times though. It definitely doesn't work with Hot Pants in part 7, but in Stone Ocean everything is going to poo poo so horribly and so quickly that there's no real time to acknowledge it for the characters. It's a nice turn away from the romanticised view of death in fiction too. Loads of people die and no one realises, cares or even reacts to it because they're so busy.

Stone Ocean's ending is a great "You're hosed" thing. It's also nice to see a villain where they get their powerup and the actually gently caress the good guys up instead of being stupid, showboating and blowing it entirely. *cough*DIO*cough*

That's exactly what happens to Pucci

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like how DIO had, like, fifty chances to kill Jotaro and just decided "Nah, I'm going to draw this out longer. There's no way anything bad could come of THAT. :v:"

I really don't think that was what happened. Dio held off from going for the kill because he didn't believe he could safely press the attack. He was terrified that Jotaro had some trick he wasn't aware of that would reverse the situation.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Tattoo You! was brought up in the anime thread and, wow, that is probably my favorite Stand fight in Part 7. From the idea, the way it's used, how intense that fight is and it's all capped by a fantastic ending.

Part 7 is insanely good.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 23, 2015

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
From the other thread:

Bad Seafood posted:

Araki's always changing how stands work.

There's a stand in Part 7 that breaks one of the otherwise most consistent rules across the series.

Is it Mandom breaking the "Only the Big Bad gets a timefuckery stand" rule?

e: Tattoo You :downs:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 23, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That's less a rule, more a tradition.

Tattoo You! was the stand I was talking about and it's absolutely one of my favorite fights in SBR.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i always interpreted that stand as being a result of the devil's palm areas being kinda weird and possibly gifting similar powers to multiple people if they all were there at the time it happened. mostly due to the stand-gifting 'thing' being actual areas centered around the corpse parts and not something concrete like the arrow metal that came from a meteor.

see: the boomboom family who share a collective stand but use it in different ways. i just see it as relatively making sense if a little thought is put into it, which probably describes most of what happens in the series.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also, wait, multiple rats had the stand ratt in arc 4

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ah man, that's true.

Nobody correct me in the other thread though till Xibanya gets there.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Archenteron posted:

From the other thread:

Is it Mandom breaking the "Only the Big Bad gets a timefuckery stand" rule?

e: Tattoo You :downs:

Every part with Stands breaks this "rule." Parts 3, 4, and 6 have Star Platinum, and Part 5 has Moody Blues and Gold Experience Requiem.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

truly, it only follows the rule of cool

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
JoJo does not follow your petty rules, Araki does what Araki wills

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That's part of what makes Jojo so much fun. It might not make any sense, and it might actively contradict everything up to this point, but drat if it's not awesome.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Schwarzwald posted:

I really don't think that was what happened. Dio held off from going for the kill because he didn't believe he could safely press the attack. He was terrified that Jotaro had some trick he wasn't aware of that would reverse the situation.

Off the top of my head, there was a point where Dio had an officer with a gun pointed at Jotaro. He shoots him once in the leg to make sure he's dead, then decides to cut off his head to be sure. He could have just picked up the gun and emptied it into Jotaro's face from a distance.

Not to mention that time that, after confirming that Jotaro could only move for a few seconds, he spent his new power-up from Joseph's blood talking about how he could sing a song and shoving a finger through his head instead of running his fist through Jotaro's chest like he did with Kakyoin.

I mean, I'm glad he didn't because that fight was great, but Dio definitely had chances to end it immediately.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not to mention that time that, after confirming that Jotaro could only move for a few seconds, he spent his new power-up from Joseph's blood talking about how he could sing a song and shoving a finger through his head instead of running his fist through Jotaro's chest like he did with Kakyoin.

Well at that point he was just kind of crazy

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I paid close attention when rewatching Part 3, and decided that almost every Part 3 villain could have killed at least one member of the Stardust Crusaders if they'd played their cards right, although in most cases they made reasonable choices based on what they knew at the time, and in some cases their only real ways of winning would have involved sacrificing their own lives. The biggest exception that comes to mind was Mariah; she had a crappy power, and it felt like she only got as far as she did because Abdul was holding back a little.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

also, wait, multiple rats had the stand ratt in arc 4

multiple people had hermit purple too

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Multiple people having the same stand is different from multiple people sharing the same stand.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Multiple people having the same stand is different from multiple people sharing the same stand.

I thought they all had individual stands but they all had the same ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
The child character in part 6 should have been Auntie Shizuka, using Achtung Baby to sneak people around the prison and observe and find allies. She could have been smuggled in by Jotaro as his plan to break him and Jolyne out. More Joestars are a good thing and it would be nice to see her grown up a little