Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Personally like the comic book style thumbnail tile art over the peoples faces one they had before.

Like this better than Daredevil, but it also could have been like 2 or 3 episodes shorter and that would have been fine. Very satisfying start to finish, and Tennant was an amazing villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys have way too much thought time... get into sudoku, or colouring.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Defenders better just be a 2 hour movie cause I don't know if I'd be able to take 13 drawn out episodes of this level.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Defenders is supposed to be like 8 episodes I think.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Do we know the villain(s) of The Defenders series yet?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

Random question, somebody asked me if this show would be Rated R, and I was curious, I actually don't recall if this show has lots of the word "gently caress" or not. I recall Purple Man said "screw himself", were they dropping f-bombs like in the comic? I hope so. But I find it funny that I don't actually know. Also, did Daredevil? My guess is there wasn't much f-word usage? Unless there was.
According to the Closed Captions, Malcolm does say gently caress when he's in the bathroom coming down. It's very hard to hear though.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
March 2016 the possible release date for Daredevil season 2: http://moviepilot.com/posts/3689611

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Do we know the villain(s) of The Defenders series yet?

No. I think most of the villains that were set up in DD/JJ are likely to be parts of second seasons rather than be in Defenders. I think the Daredevil producers even went so far as to say they have plans for Madame Gao and The Hand and that they aren't being saved for Defenders.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
FWIW, the captions/subtitles basically give you a peek inside the script itself, because you see all the little noises people make. It also helps you distinguish what's "important" to listen to--like, if the radio chatter is important they display that. But sometimes chatter is background noise and they clarify that it's "indistinguishable" (even though, if u were a big enough nerd, u may be able to pick out what a crowd member says?). The script also writes out some of the body language and little tics the characters engage in. Everytime Jessica [scoffs], it's basically telling you how she feels in that moment, if for some reason (like me) you are bad at reading body language without hints.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not sure that good hearing is considered a nerdy trait?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Aphrodite posted:

I'm not sure that good hearing is considered a nerdy trait?

That's not what I meant to imply. I meant that "wanting to know what people are saying in the [Indistinguishable Chatter]" is kinda nerdy. In the good way.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Snak posted:

I'm pretty sure netflix employs a team of interns with photoshop to supply a constant rotation of cover art for basically all their content. It's part of how they create the illusion of more content than they have. some of the movie cover arts that they switch to are just loving awful. That's how I came up with intern theory, because I don't know why else they would be so bad.

fake edit: to clarify, I am talking about the thumbnail art, not the big backdrop splash. Yes that is a different deal.

I mean, sure, it could be some nefarious and dastardly scheme to bamboozle their hapless subscribers

Or it could just be a thing they do to make the same old shows you've been looking at for the past six months catch your eye again and remind you that, oh yeah, Netflix has every episode of Xena Warrior Princess, there goes my weekend

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

I mean, sure, it could be some nefarious and dastardly scheme to bamboozle their hapless subscribers

Or it could just be a thing they do to make the same old shows you've been looking at for the past six months catch your eye again and remind you that, oh yeah, Netflix has every episode of Xena Warrior Princess, there goes my weekend

I don't understand how the second thing you said is different from what I said. They create a continuous rotation of "cover art" in order to make even things that you have scrolled past for months catch your eye again.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snak posted:

I don't understand how the second thing you said is different from what I said. They create a continuous rotation of "cover art" in order to make even things that you have scrolled past for months catch your eye again.

There's a difference between "highlight existing catalog" and "try to deceive people into believing the catalog is larger than it is", I think.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, kinda. If I've scrolled past the same cover art for weeks because i don't want to watch, changing the art to confuse me and make me look at it longer is still just a strategy to make me more interested in poo poo I'm not interested in. It's just marketing, which is just trying to trick people into wanting stuff. I'm not asserting anything more nefarious than that, but I also think it's lovely any annoying. I wouldn't really mind at all if they had good art, but again, most of it looks like a bored intern with photoshop did it and not any kind of professional artist or designer.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Snak posted:

I don't understand how the second thing you said is different from what I said.
In that case I'm very concerned for you, because they are two entirely different statements

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think so?

If I have forgotten, i.e. I don't know, that something is on netflix, how is them reminding me different than making me think it's been added? I mean I get the semantic difference you guys are addressing, but the mechanism and the reason for them doing it is functionally the same. Maybe it's not for people who waste less of their lives on netflix, but I probably scroll through the entire catalogue (that is displayed on the ps4 app) multiple times per week. It's not hard. Most things are in like 8 of the 10 categories they give me to look at. 2 weeks later I scroll through again and it's the same exact poo poo but it all has different art so it takes me twice as long to go through and recognize if there's anything I want to watch.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Snak posted:

I don't think so?

What is the point of putting a question mark at the end of that statement?

Do you not know what you think?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It indicates incredulity.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

What is the point of putting a question mark at the end of that statement?

Do you not know what you think?

I'm Ron Burgundy?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

So, uh... how do you make a serious show about a guy with magic kung fu powers wearing an outfit that looks like a bathrobe had sex with a leisure suit?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Shut the gently caress up and go read Immortal Iron Fist. That is all.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Xand_Man posted:

So, uh... how do you make a serious show about a guy with magic kung fu powers wearing an outfit that looks like a bathrobe had sex with a leisure suit?

I mean they managed to make a serious show about a dude who wears black pantyhose on his head so it's not inconceivable.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HIJK posted:

I mean they managed to make a serious show about a dude who wears black pantyhose on his head so it's not inconceivable.

On the other hand his canon costume looks horrible.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
So I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm still watching the show. But is Reuben supposed to be retarded or autistic or something? He's definitely not right in the head. I'm on the episodes just after Kilgrave forced him to kill himself. Between the way Reuben acts and the way his sister talks about him, it makes me wonder if this character is supposed to be mentally challenged.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

n4 posted:

So I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm still watching the show. But is Reuben supposed to be retarded or autistic or something? He's definitely not right in the head. I'm on the episodes just after Kilgrave forced him to kill himself. Between the way Reuben acts and the way his sister talks about him, it makes me wonder if this character is supposed to be mentally challenged.
The show never really makes it clear. Sometimes he comes off like there's something genetically wrong; other times it's like that's just the way his personality developed alongside his ridiculously domineering sister. I just think of them as a vague kind of co-dependency in that they complement each other in a very unhealthy way.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

computer parts posted:

I humbly disagree, Daredevil often looks badass, especially if you enjoy comic book costumes in general. I didn't mind his Dexter with a mask look in the show either, but I definitely prefer the costume.

Speaking of, hot drat I'm pumped for season 2 there.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

AtraMorS posted:

The show never really makes it clear. Sometimes he comes off like there's something genetically wrong; other times it's like that's just the way his personality developed alongside his ridiculously domineering sister. I just think of them as a vague kind of co-dependency in that they complement each other in a very unhealthy way.

My impression is that maybe he would be a normal dude but his sister / parents DECIDED he was special needs and treated him thus and now he is the way he is.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Snak posted:

Shut the gently caress up and go read Immortal Iron Fist. That is all.

His manner may be brash, but the words this man speaks are true.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

computer parts posted:

He's a blind superhero. Of course he has a lovely fashion sense.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

10 Beers posted:

I actually really dug the Tournament of the Seven Cities, I'm just not sure how you make it into a gritty serialized TV show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's also not what they're using anyway.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Light Gun Man posted:

My impression is that maybe he would be a normal dude but his sister / parents DECIDED he was special needs and treated him thus and now he is the way he is.
That's about my impression most of the time too, like his mild disposition towards passiveness and her aggressiveness got stuck in a feedback loop or some other pop psych crap way back when. She's almost like an extreme gender-swap caricature of Simpson: She gets validation and self-importance from "protecting" other people, and needs it to the point where her protectiveness turns aggressive and controlling. And Reuben's been taking it so long that he's lost most volition of his own.

The only thing that really runs against that is when he apparently forgets that he's not wearing pants, which is pretty friggin' dumb.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

I mean, comic-book costumes all look dumb as poo poo, and that hasn't stopped any of the adaptions so far.

I honestly hope they go with the shirtless look for Iron Fist though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Giant popped collars and tiny slippers or bust.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gyges posted:

Giant popped collars and tiny slippers or bust.

Bring back Typhoid Mary, I need my ridiculous metal shoulderpads and 80s hair.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

AtraMorS posted:

That's about my impression most of the time too, like his mild disposition towards passiveness and her aggressiveness got stuck in a feedback loop or some other pop psych crap way back when. She's almost like an extreme gender-swap caricature of Simpson: She gets validation and self-importance from "protecting" other people, and needs it to the point where her protectiveness turns aggressive and controlling. And Reuben's been taking it so long that he's lost most volition of his own.

Wasn't there also some not-so-subtle indication that they did weird sex stuff together too?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Wasn't there also some not-so-subtle indication that they did weird sex stuff together too?

Not really. The first scene they show up in, it's not known yet that they are siblings and Jessica makes a comment about not caring what their weird fetish is as long as they keep it down, but in hindsight this is obviously a joke. I don't think there's any actually indication they have any weird incest poo poo going on.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I definitely got the incest vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

I definitely got the incest vibe.

I'm not really arguing with that, I just think a "not-so-subtle indication" is not present.