Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess so. I sure don't remember advertisements for Darth Maul action figures before seeing Episode I or anything like that, but I was also a teenager and maybe I just missed the ads, I dunno.

Were there spoiler toys for Jar-Jar and podracing and poo poo before the movie even came out?

I remember a ton of poo poo for Darth Maul in particular. He even had like Darth Maul Mountain Dew and Darth Maul Taco Bell Cups.

And then the movie came out and he had like 2 lines and 4 total minutes of screen time so lol I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I remember going to Walmart the morning of the premiere of the 1998 Godzilla film & seeing the monster toy was accidentally out. I was so :flaccid: at its appearance I knew the movie was going to be rubbish. And I was right!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think the merchandising not spoiling anything was just luck.

There's a toy of one character in an outfit from later in the movie that leaked before its street date and Disney was actually having Twitter, Instagram etc. take pictures of it down.

What was it? Kylo Ren without his helmet on?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Probably Poe, I guess? You're supposed to think he dies in the Jakku crash, but if there's a toy of him in a flight suit then you'd know he's coming back. Much like the special black/orange X-wing which isn't the one from the intro scene and is called Poe's X-wing or something. There was a Lego set for that.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Amoeba102 posted:

Probably Poe, I guess? You're supposed to think he dies in the Jakku crash, but if there's a toy of him in a flight suit then you'd know he's coming back. Much like the special black/orange X-wing which isn't the one from the intro scene and is called Poe's X-wing or something. There was a Lego set for that.

Actually It was a Rey action figure in a specific outfit towards the end, however the box art had Rey holding the lightsaber.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I suppose there's that too.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Depressio111117 posted:

I don't think that was the case - the plot hinges on the grandma trying to track her down.

Oh yeah, I must've missed that-- I thought the whole thing was that people kept trying to track the grandma down and tell her they were Anastasia, and she just kept turning them away.

This is what happens when you watch movies while seven, I guess.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess so. I sure don't remember advertisements for Darth Maul action figures before seeing Episode I or anything like that, but I was also a teenager and maybe I just missed the ads, I dunno.

Were there spoiler toys for Jar-Jar and podracing and poo poo before the movie even came out?

I remember being excited on principal that a new star wars was coming out. I saw all the trailers. Lightsabers. That guy looks mean. Ships flying around. They cut those trailers so tight to make us think we were getting what we wanted. Jar jar was not in a trailer. Not at all.

And I walked into wal*mart several months before opening weekend and blocking the entrance is a star wars display and right down low in front it's.. a jar jar coloring book. I couldn't help but open it. Jar jar falls in some poodoo. color it whatever color you think alien poop is. What the gently caress am I looking at? What the gently caress is a jar jar? Did they make a cartoon for babies when I wasn't paying attention? This isn't in the movie, is it?

It seemed so loving dumb, it was like it had nothing to do with me. I instantly put it and the other warning signs out of my mind and went back to being overly optimistic. Then I put it down and picked up the sound track and skimmed the titles "duel of the fates" cool sounds ominous "qui gon's noble end" oh okay thanks I'll be sure not to give a gently caress about that character once I figure out who he is.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Heh

Check out how adult I am: Back when the ep1 hype was ramping up, I watched the original trilogy and was like welp, these are children's movies and so I stopped caring and I think my life is better for it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really liked Ep7 and think JJ got it right.

My one IIMM: Han and Chewie have been best buds like forever and in all sorts of scrapes and crazy adventures and Han has never fired Chewie's bowcaster?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My IIMM about Ep7 was that there were WAY too many long scenes of people staring at each other.

It was like watching a spanish soap opera and playing the "who farted?" game.

I mean, I loved the movie, I saw it twice, but god drat you could have brought in some of the characters they cut with the 5-10 mins of :stare: they have going on.

Also, the think that was the biggest spoiler merchandise wise for Episode 1 wasn't even a toy, it was the soundtrack. It had a track called something like "The death of Qui Gonn" or "Funeral for Qui Gonn" as a title. Man that pissed off a lot of people.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Trent posted:

My one IIMM: Han and Chewie have been best buds like forever and in all sorts of scrapes and crazy adventures and Han has never fired Chewie's bowcaster?

Not only that, he fired it when chewie got shot. Then he asks twenty minutes later like "oh this thing I just shot, I wonder what it's like to shoot it. Wow. I got to cross that off my bucket list before dementia takes me completely. What were we doing? Say chewie how about you let me shoot that bowcaster I've always wanted to try that"

skeeballcore
Mar 17, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My IIMM about Ep7 was that there were WAY too many long scenes of people staring at each other.

It was like watching a spanish soap opera and playing the "who farted?" game.

I mean, I loved the movie, I saw it twice, but god drat you could have brought in some of the characters they cut with the 5-10 mins of :stare: they have going on.

Also, the think that was the biggest spoiler merchandise wise for Episode 1 wasn't even a toy, it was the soundtrack. It had a track called something like "The death of Qui Gonn" or "Funeral for Qui Gonn" as a title. Man that pissed off a lot of people.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYakwEUNZTk

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Trent posted:

That was odd.

Mine is that I never go watch movies in the theater and the huge bass fx on every single impact freaks me out.

Chewie's hairy foot hits the walkway *BOOM*

Someone gets knocked down in the snow covered forest *BOOM*

X-Wing missile hits the thingie, same *BOOM*

I guess tbf I saw the original trilogy on VHS on an old crt tv but drat audio mixer guy needs to dial it back a bit.

:corsair:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Trent posted:

Maybe not quite the same, but my oldest friend and I have known each other 15 years at this point, and I have never driven his car and he has never driven mine. It's just never really come up.

Han has always had his blaster and Chewie has always had his bowcaster and it's just never come up, you know? :shrug:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
At least all the dialogue was audible, gently caress you very much Christopher Nolan for Interstellar's audio mixing.

gently caress you

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

That was odd.

Mine is that I never go watch movies in the theater and the huge bass fx on every single impact freaks me out.

Chewie's hairy foot hits the walkway *BOOM*

Someone gets knocked down in the snow covered forest *BOOM*

X-Wing missile hits the thingie, same *BOOM*

I guess tbf I saw the original trilogy on VHS on an old crt tv but drat audio mixer guy needs to dial it back a bit.

:corsair:

The sound mixing in your cinema was poo poo, sorry. I never noticed any intrusiveness to the sound when I saw it, it was all at appropriate levels and only enhanced the experience.

Lots of people are going to have differing experiences with sound, I don't think there's the proper THX accreditation process anymore for cinema sound engineers.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Trent posted:

I think it's just joking about how Chewie carried it around for 3 movies and only actually fires it like 1 time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I hate that Chewie's bow caster shoots a red bolt but in all the video games it is larger and green.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My IMM of The Force Awakens is how jagged the blaster bolts are. When Ken force stops a blaster shot it's really apparent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Android Bicyclist posted:

My IMM of The Force Awakens is how jagged the blaster bolts are. When Ken force stops a blaster shot it's really apparent.

They normally look smooth because of motion blur. And before you start: there's no movies where it's more appropriate to try and convince someone of something by handwaving than Star Wars.

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
I enjoyed The Force Awakens but when I watched it at my local cinema one of the speakers to my left drat near exploded at the first beat of the opening theme. The rest of the film continued with sometimes normal sound and sometimes a series of hisses and pops from my immediate left everything time an action scene occurred. I could have ignored it that much easier if I didn't feel like I needed to make sure a fire hadn't broken out every 5 minutes it was so bad.

Still better than an errant child running endlessly between the rows the last time I went though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My IIMM with The Force Awakens is I'm from Ireland and we have a lot of scenery and ruins like Skellig Michael so I couldn't buy it as a different world. I mean you can say that about any planet in the series but this one I am very familiar with and also it has no futuristic stuff on it like all the others e.g. Jakku has all the ruins of Empire machinery and Starkiller base is Starkiller base. I think the helicopter shot is mostly to blame as it makes it look like a tourism video and also I have been in those particular ruins.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

EmmyOk posted:

My IIMM with The Force Awakens is I'm from Ireland and we have a lot of scenery and ruins like Skellig Michael so I couldn't buy it as a different world. I mean you can say that about any planet in the series but this one I am very familiar with and also it has no futuristic stuff on it like all the others e.g. Jakku has all the ruins of Empire machinery and Starkiller base is Starkiller base. I think the helicopter shot is mostly to blame as it makes it look like a tourism video and also I have been in those particular ruins.

That is really II, because the alternative is either:

a. a real environment cluttered up with a bunch of CGI poo poo to make it look spacey, like Lucas did with the Special Editions.
b. a totally fake environment that's purely CGI which looks like an awful video game cut scene and doesn't allow you to forget for even an instant that you're looking at something which doesn't exist.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Phanatic posted:

That is really II, because the alternative is either:

a. a real environment cluttered up with a bunch of CGI poo poo to make it look spacey, like Lucas did with the Special Editions.
b. a totally fake environment that's purely CGI which looks like an awful video game cut scene and doesn't allow you to forget for even an instant that you're looking at something which doesn't exist.

Yeah, s/he said that. These aren't 'here is my logical reason for disliking a thing' its the irrationally irritating movie moments thread. S/He's pretty familiar with the area so it took him out of the movie, s/he realizes its irrational but it still bothered them.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My irrationally irritating Star Wars moment is I just found out a part of me cares deeply that they axed nearly all the expanded universe poo poo. My canon :smith:

I loved every aspect of the movie though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, s/he said that. These aren't 'here is my logical reason for disliking a thing' its the irrationally irritating movie moments thread. S/He's pretty familiar with the area so it took him out of the movie, s/he realizes its irrational but it still bothered them.

Perfectly said! Though I will maintain the helicopter shot was a weird choice regardless of locale.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Star Wars IIMMs Chewie walking right past Leia after Han's death. What the gently caress, dude? Don't leave some random girl you barely know to comfort your friend.

Should have ended 5 minutes sooner. Perfect last shot would have been Leia watching the Millennium Falcon take off and fly away. I know they wanted to have Luke in there, but it was just an awkward ending point.

No Wedge. I'm especially irritated having found out that the actor was offered to return but turned it down. Dickhead, you were my hipster favorite character.
:argh:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Random girl is Leia's niece. Makes sense.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Is it me or is it implied Nein Numb died at the battle at the Starkiller base?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

rydiafan posted:

Should have ended 5 minutes sooner. Perfect last shot would have been Leia watching the Millennium Falcon take off and fly away. I know they wanted to have Luke in there, but it was just an awkward ending point.

Nah, it should have ended after the first shot of Luke with his hood off. It was a fantastic cliffhanger, just dragged on too long.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Vulpes posted:

Nah, it should have ended after the first shot of Luke with his hood off. It was a fantastic cliffhanger, just dragged on too long.

:agreed:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My IMM moment for Star Wars is Ren's face. It looks so off to me. It also seems really "soft" feature-wise, which makes it hard for me to accept him as a villainous killer.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I realize that Adam Driver reminds me too much of Marilyn Manson, which totally makes it worse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

My IMM moment for Star Wars is Ren's face. It looks so off to me. It also seems really "soft" feature-wise, which makes it hard for me to accept him as a villainous killer.

That's the point.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Leavemywife posted:

Mine is how does he keep that 70s hair all volumized under a hood and mask all day?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

the way they like pre-marketed the toys was odd. It would have worked much better IMO to wait until just after the film's release to start with the toys, once we know who the toys loving are.

What are you, some kind of communist?

TFA IIMM: There's a Resistance, a Republic, and a First Order, and their respective roles are never explained. Basically, why is there a Resistance before the Republic is blowed up all at once? Wouldn't the Rebels have joined the Republic after winning at the end of Jedi? It's like if George Washington and Ben Franklin kept leading the Continental Army and Congress after they won the Revolutionary War, and those things continued to exist as entities separate from the newly formed United States. It makes no goddamn sense, and will never be explained because now the Republic is gone and things are back to the way they were in the Original Trilogy. I wouldn't have thought that this was irrational, but no one else I've talked to about it seems to care or find it the least bit irritating.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's actually all explained in the title crawl. Did you come in late?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

That's actually all explained in the title crawl. Did you come in late?
Its really shittily explained, though.