Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing a lot of strange love for origins in this thread. Did anyone here play the game? If this game wasn't such a clusterfuck origins would easily be the worst in the series. Origins was terrible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ton of people are projecting flaws onto Knight at this point. I mean I get the distaste for the Batmobile, but Knight being responsible for the bad boss fights? Challenge maps being dull? C'mon guys, these are in no way unique problems.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Once all the patches came through and Cold Cold Heart was enjoyable, I think a lot of people forgave Origins. It was a very flawed game, but it tried a lot of things. It tried boss fights, it tried revamping the detective scanning boring poo poo, it had a long arching story. It had its missteps (like the fact that it all comes back to the fuckin Joker and half the bosses are retreads or flat not fun) but it tried. That's the big difference between Origins and this game to me. I think Knight is still 1000x better, but I totally see where this didn't try. Like how Catwoman, Nightwing, and Robin are all clearly brought wholesale over from City. No kind of addition to their gameplay at all.

The Ra's part was the only particularly interesting Season of Infamy. Groaned like gently caress when the tanks showed up for Freeze. That ending to Ra's though. I don't think either option is particularly good which made it great.

EDIT: Did we ever find out what happens to the Hush sidequest if you do it after you've beaten the game?

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 23, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

MinibarMatchman posted:

That being said the final riddler race for catwoman's segment made me rage harder than any game in years and I thought the lack of actual bosses was a tremendous disappointment. poo poo, I can't even remember any boss battles at all, now that I think about it. You'd think they'd learn from Origins. especially when it came to drawing in new and unique villain battles (deathstroke, copperhead, deadshot, firefly) but instead you get virtually nothing. You don't even fight Man-Bat. Even Arkham City had better bosses.

The basic combat system straight up has a ton of trouble accommodating boss design. Prior entries, including origins, used up pretty much all of the good concepts and several of the bad ones. Creating a fight akin to the deathstroke fight is a)very, very resource intensive b) only really feasible toward the beginning of the game before the set of available player actions become nigh-impossible to budget for addressing, and c) even deathstroke isn't as good as folks remember-its core mechanic is good, but it's got a ton of places with weird exceptions to planned behavior that the devs couldn't/didn't address.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Even though this was one of my lower faves of the year I have to admit Rocksteady hosed up their reputation royal and the DLC they put out is laughable. I can't imagine being optimistic about what they're doing for the future. We're talking about a company who eschewed QA testing just so they could keep the identity of Arkham Knight a secret (lol)

I don't think that latter thing happened, and Rocksteady weren't the ones that did the PC port, nor did they have control over testing. The design decisions in the overall game (such as tankspam) and the lackluster DLC are totally on Rocksteady, but the PC port issues are on WB and the third party contractor, Iron Galaxy.

SonicRulez posted:

The Ra's part was the only particularly interesting Season of Infamy. Groaned like gently caress when the tanks showed up for Freeze. That ending to Ra's though. I don't think either option is particularly good which made it great.

The Ra's sidequest is referential as hell, and it's glorious. Did you notice the manufacturer above that door you open in the morgue? If you choose to end him, see how you get him out of there?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 23, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Up Circle posted:

Seeing a lot of strange love for origins in this thread. Did anyone here play the game? If this game wasn't such a clusterfuck origins would easily be the worst in the series. Origins was terrible!

I get why people liked origins, but just giving Batman a bit of an arc didn't do it for me. I thought it was just City but bigger and a bit sloppier. Still fun though, and worth playing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Ton of people are projecting flaws onto Knight at this point. I mean I get the distaste for the Batmobile, but Knight being responsible for the bad boss fights? Challenge maps being dull? C'mon guys, these are in no way unique problems.

dull boss fights are the norm for batman games. origins was def the outlier for that so yeah these things were not new for Knight. I actually like all the maps though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

poptart_fairy posted:

MinibarMatchman posted:

dull boss fights are the norm for batman games. origins was def the outlier for that so yeah these things were not new for Knight. I actually like all the maps though.

Ok, but "It's been bad before" is not at all a proper rebuttal to "It's not good". Like you're saying it's not fair to criticize Knight for having poor boss fights, because the other 3 games did. That's not the way criticism works. I didn't like that Asylum had weak bosses, so I criticized it for that. Same for City. Same for Origins. Same for Knight. Stop writing excuses for video games you like, it doesn't push for them to get better.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Ok, but "It's been bad before" is not at all a proper rebuttal to "It's not good". Like you're saying it's not fair to criticize Knight for having poor boss fights, because the other 3 games did. That's not the way criticism works. I didn't like that Asylum had weak bosses, so I criticized it for that. Same for City. Same for Origins. Same for Knight. Stop writing excuses for video games you like, it doesn't push for them to get better.

it's more like "why is this installment worse when better received installments have more or less the same kind of inherent weakness" really. in any case that's not really an excuse, it's just a thing that exists.

funny thing is I knew this and didn't buy those crap DLCs but you did and I have no clue why anyone would buy the latest one knowing how little is in store for them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Up Circle posted:

Origins only significant flaw was being more of an expansion pack than a full game. And I guess a PC port that had issues but after AK there's not a candle to hold to that.

poptart_fairy posted:

The latter is incorrect. Knight changed the Challenge Map design significantly from the previous games. They're gotten around somewhat to fixing it but the wave-based design from the previous games was a lot different from the more open and bland design in Knight.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 23, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SonicRulez posted:

It's not an excuse, it's a literal thing that's happened. People are blaming Knight for flaws the series has had since its inception.

Knight has legitimate problems. Trying to blame it for the genesis of franchise-old ones is weird as hell.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SonicRulez posted:

I feel like destroying the machine was the good option, even though Batman himself would no doubt think otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

It's not an excuse, it's a literal thing that's happened. People are blaming Knight for flaws the series has had since its inception.

Knight has legitimate problems. Trying to blame it for the genesis of franchise-old ones is weird as hell.

No, I'm blaming it for problems that Knight has. The boss battles always sucked but I put hours into the challenge rooms in the other games and did not in Knight because the changes they made to the challenge rooms in Knight sucks. At launch the only remotely non-lovely one was the Azrael one. They altered the scoring and design of the stages in a way that made them a lot less interesting to play.

The Predator rooms are untouched and so other than being a bit easy I don't really have a problem with them. It's the combat rooms which annoy me. the DLC and the patch to make all characters playable did a lot to help that at least.

I still enjoyed Knight but it's sort of bewildering they hosed up stuff that they had working well in the previous games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 23, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What did they change, exactly?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

shipping with like no challenge map stuff after getting tons of those in the previous games was a huge backlash, wouldn't be surprised if that influenced future DLC they did after initial launch. it was indeed really baffling and stupid in terms of decisions.

ironically if rocksteady made a game about tanks using the template for the tank poo poo in this game I'd play that. just make a tank game about a transforming death machine in a giant dystopian city.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Origins only significant flaw was being more of an expansion pack than a full game. And I guess a PC port that had issues but after AK there's not a candle to hold to that.

No, it's biggest flaw was the bad, disjointed, almost nonsensical plot. Not just the joker retread, but almost every element of the storyline is terrible or badly misused. Add in the gameplay being sloppier, the characters somehow more paper-thin and the minor annoyances that fill the game and it really is turrible.

2 bad games in a row is a bad sign. I think wb is doing a good job of ending this franchise at least.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

poptart_fairy posted:

What did they change, exactly?

I'd love to hear the answer to this because the challenge maps are exactly the same.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

jneer posted:

I'd love to hear the answer to this because the challenge maps are exactly the same.

Yeah, I'd just like to point out I wasn't being snippy with that, I'm genuinely curious. While there were definitely fewer maps at launch I can't recall any significant differences in their design.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Combat: The previous games were largely wave based combat, and to score three stars required you to utilize a variety of moves to build up enough points rather than just going for the largest combo. The majority of combat maps in Knight are non-wave based and require a singular objective to achieve three stars. For example, the Batman challenge to get a combo of 50X, which is accomplished through normal moves and counters. Sure you can do more complex moves, but there's largely no incentive to use the variety of moves at your disposal.

Saying there was no change when the game shipped with - what I think one wave based combat map? - is not true at all. The DLC challenge packs rectify that to an extent, but there's still an over abundance of endless challenges. I found most endless challenges spawn enemies so fast that the arena just becomes a jumbled mess within a minute, and you're spending more time dodging to set up an attack than really engaging in multi-hit combos.

l33t b4c0n fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 23, 2015

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

l33t b4c0n posted:

The Batman challenge to get a combo of 50X, which is accomplished through normal moves and counters. Sure you can do more complex moves, but there's largely no incentive to use the variety of moves at your disposal.

One of the 22 combat challenges does not involve points, though, while the remaining 21 do. Varying your moves is important on every map but one. Infinite waves were brought in because of the popularity of AO's 100 to 1 map.

It's fair to complain about how many challenge maps the game shipped with, but it's not relevant if you're comparing the games now.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

jneer posted:

Varying your moves is important on every map but one.

My 3 stars in all the combat challenges whist barely using more than simple attacks, counters and dodges to keep my combo up disagree.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I actually played through Origins again to prep myself for Arkham Knight (I already played through AA like 4 times and AC twice). I blew through Origins on release with a litany of bugs.

Now that it is patched up nicely and runs ok I will have to say it's my favourite Batman game. The art style is a tad more cartoonish which I appreciate, sort of like the Burton movie, and Batman's costume also looks the best I've seen it (prior to Origins I liked Burton's Batman the best). Granted these are aesthetic preferences but that's not why.

You actually have a Batman with a bit of depth it being a prequel I actually liked how the story presented you as an almost mythical figure that eventually becomes widely known as you battle through your first major ordeal. I forgot how he's actually pretty unhinged in the beginning. Killer Croc won't tell Batman what's up? Just precedes to beat the defenceless guy until he does.

It wasn't flawless, the whole Alfred is dead but not really I can't do this a bloo bloo what ok Alfred thanks for the 20 second pep talk I believe in myself now was stupid poo poo and terrible written in addition to being wholly unnecessary. The whole "it was Joker" was a tired plot point, I agree, but holy poo poo playing as the Red Hood in Joker's surreal mindscape was so good that I could literally forgive them for it. It was only 5 minutes of gameplay but man it was so well done. There were some other things too that I forget but that point in the story was a definite low point.

That said no point in any Batman game has ever been better than the Executioner boss "battle."

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

I've been replaying Origins because its the Christmas Arkham game and I mostly agree: its not as good as City, but its a ton of fun. The combat does feel a little worse so maybe if I was playing it on Nightmare or whatever, that would matter, but it's a fine game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Terrible Horse posted:

I've been replaying Origins because its the Christmas Arkham game and I mostly agree: its not as good as City, but its a ton of fun. The combat does feel a little worse so maybe if I was playing it on Nightmare or whatever, that would matter, but it's a fine game.

I played it on hard or whatever the difficulty was to remove the Bat-counter-sense thing. Definitely improved the gameplay as you really have to pay attention.

Combat is still buggy sometimes though as there were indeed times where Batman would not do what I threw into the controller and that did not happen in previous games.

Upgrade trees being locked behind certain moved sucked though. I ran with a guide though and unlocked them all in one play through so the New Game+ was far more enjoyable having to not worry about any of that poo poo.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

I actually played through Origins again to prep myself for Arkham Knight (I already played through AA like 4 times and AC twice). I blew through Origins on release with a litany of bugs.

Now that it is patched up nicely and runs ok I will have to say it's my favourite Batman game. The art style is a tad more cartoonish which I appreciate, sort of like the Burton movie, and Batman's costume also looks the best I've seen it (prior to Origins I liked Burton's Batman the best). Granted these are aesthetic preferences but that's not why.

You actually have a Batman with a bit of depth it being a prequel I actually liked how the story presented you as an almost mythical figure that eventually becomes widely known as you battle through your first major ordeal. I forgot how he's actually pretty unhinged in the beginning. Killer Croc won't tell Batman what's up? Just precedes to beat the defenceless guy until he does.

It wasn't flawless, the whole Alfred is dead but not really I can't do this a bloo bloo what ok Alfred thanks for the 20 second pep talk I believe in myself now was stupid poo poo and terrible written in addition to being wholly unnecessary. The whole "it was Joker" was a tired plot point, I agree, but holy poo poo playing as the Red Hood in Joker's surreal mindscape was so good that I could literally forgive them for it. It was only 5 minutes of gameplay but man it was so well done. There were some other things too that I forget but that point in the story was a definite low point.

That said no point in any Batman game has ever been better than the Executioner boss "battle."

I CAN'T AGREE WITH THIS POST!!

Actually I agree that Batman is unhinged. Not just at the start, but the entire game he seems to be on the verge of a psychotic breakdown. The ending where you violently beat joker down and toss him around well past the point of actually needing to subdue him is in very bad taste.

But uh, the red hood scene was also bad. It was a bad, unoriginal idea that was better done in previous games, (just like when the snake lady poisons you) and it was terribly written and executed. Of course Harley would be Joker's doctor, of course he would narrate out loud while you navigate a simplistic, zero-threat rehash of a mad hatter scene and just run forward and maybe climb something, and of course she would believe everything he said was about her and swoon. It was actually probably the worst part of the game. :sun:

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

Kin posted:

My 3 stars in all the combat challenges whist barely using more than simple attacks, counters and dodges to keep my combo up disagree.

3 stars has never been the end-game of challenge maps - I can do the same thing in AA, AC and AO. Achieving the best possible score and/or time is the end-game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

honestly I still can't enjoy Origins because of the terrible tweaks to the combat flow that make everything apart from constant counters unacceptably risky and pointless

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

doctor 7 posted:

It wasn't flawless, the whole Alfred is dead but not really I can't do this a bloo bloo what ok Alfred thanks for the 20 second pep talk I believe in myself now was stupid poo poo and terrible written in addition to being wholly unnecessary.

They did that so the entire let's "kill" and revive Bane angle doesn't come out of nowhere. I can understand that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Up Circle posted:

Now tell us how you feel about Arkham City

surc
Aug 17, 2004

End of year report:
Game is still a fantastic Batman game that combines Origins and City to be better than either, riddler races and tank combat are still super fun, and lol at people who even briefly think it is a good idea to get a season pass for anything ever.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

ayn rand hand job posted:

Now tell us how you feel about Arkham City

its good. I wish there was less water and more Gotham city like in origins. XD

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Up Circle posted:

Actually I agree that Batman is unhinged. Not just at the start, but the entire game he seems to be on the verge of a psychotic breakdown. The ending where you violently beat joker down and toss him around well past the point of actually needing to subdue him is in very bad taste.

But uh, the red hood scene was also bad. It was a bad, unoriginal idea that was better done in previous games, (just like when the snake lady poisons you) and it was terribly written and executed. Of course Harley would be Joker's doctor, of course he would narrate out loud while you navigate a simplistic, zero-threat rehash of a mad hatter scene and just run forward and maybe climb something, and of course she would believe everything he said was about her and swoon. It was actually probably the worst part of the game. :sun:

While yeah other games had dream sequences I think you're just making GBS threads on Origins because it was one of the few games to do them right (not even limited to Batman here). Previous games' surreal moments didn't actually mean much as you had random set pieces in Crane's fear induced moments which made no real sense. Granted City had Bruce's parents raising from the dead like a horror movie but the playable level itself had nothing to it. Red Hood had no challenge but it actually had a sense of warped reality. I'm talking about how, finally, the surreal background actually meshed with what was going on with the point of view of the person in the actual game.

That was another bad part I forgot about. Batman went all anime beat down on Joker. If he was letting lose I think he would've been just dishing out vicious hooks instead of endless rapid fire DBZ anime punches. To be clear I can't see Batman not kicking the poo poo out of Joker at the end of that. But then again I think the whole "mustn't kill, not even Joker" has just gotten so ridiculous.

ayn rand hand job posted:

They did that so the entire let's "kill" and revive Bane angle doesn't come out of nowhere. I can understand that.

Oh the reviving him I had no problems with. It was Bruce's unnecessary crisis of "I can't do anything" to "I am the man Gotham needs" in 20 seconds. It was just clunky dialog which made it seem way too forced.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 24, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Up Circle posted:

No, it's biggest flaw was the bad, disjointed, almost nonsensical plot. Not just the joker retread, but almost every element of the storyline is terrible or badly misused. Add in the gameplay being sloppier, the characters somehow more paper-thin and the minor annoyances that fill the game and it really is turrible.

I can't imagine how you played Knight or City. Even Asylum was pretty bad and mostly got a pass because it was the first game and a thin excuse to have Batman fight a bunch of villains at once. The games are all paper-thin excuses to fight a lot of Batman villains but at best they try to focus on the relationship between the Joker and Batman to the exclusion of all else.

Kin posted:

The difference between getting 3 stars and getting high on the leaderboards is significantly different.

jneer posted:

They removed the wave-based combat and changed how scoring was implimented. It wasn't merely point-based but also the way scoring mechanics were handled that made it far less interesting and meaningful to vary your moves.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 24, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

The difference between getting 3 stars and getting high on the leaderboards is significantly different.

They removed the wave-based combat and changed how scoring was implimented. It wasn't merely point-based but also the way scoring mechanics were handled that made it far less interesting and meaningful to vary your moves.

Well, my point was that in AA at least you simply couldn't get 3 stars with that method (especially not on the extreme maps). You actively had to mix up your moveset to get a high points bonus. A simple combo wasn't enough.

AC and AO simplified this a little with things like bat swarm which cheesed it a little but Robin and Nightwing didn't have this.

In AK, you didn't even need the removed bat swarm as you could get the 3 stars on almost all the challenges just by getting a high enough combo counter (due in part to them chaning many of the maps to an infinite spawn rather than round based system).

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wondering if you guys knew if you hold LR + RR and spin the right stick 3 times you toggle Big Head Mode

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

Well, my point was that in AA at least you simply couldn't get 3 stars with that method (especially not on the extreme maps). You actively had to mix up your moveset to get a high points bonus. A simple combo wasn't enough.

You absolutely could. As long as you do an unbroken combo string the multiplier on its own is high enough for three stars. You need to vary moves if you're not comfortable with that or if you're going for the highest score possible but getting a three-star rating just involved basically hitting enemies without breaking your combo. That was, admittedly, not quite the same in Asylum where you didn't have power gadgets and enemies were simpler and takedowns were basically made to be used on demand.

I still like Asylum though, don't get me wrong, and I had a ton of fun with its combat challenges despite that. They kinda have to make 3 stars reasonably easy to get because people are not great at games but don't want to be locked out of trophies and poo poo.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

While yeah other games had dream sequences I think you're just making GBS threads on Origins because it was one of the few games to do them right (not even limited to Batman here). Previous games' surreal moments didn't actually mean much as you had random set pieces in Crane's fear induced moments which made no real sense. Granted City had Bruce's parents raising from the dead like a horror movie but the playable level itself had nothing to it. Red Hood had no challenge but it actually had a sense of warped reality. I'm talking about how, finally, the surreal background actually meshed with what was going on with the point of view of the person in the actual game.

That was another bad part I forgot about. Batman went all anime beat down on Joker. If he was letting lose I think he would've been just dishing out vicious hooks instead of endless rapid fire DBZ anime punches. To be clear I can't see Batman not kicking the poo poo out of Joker at the end of that. But then again I think the whole "mustn't kill, not even Joker" has just gotten so ridiculous.

Oh the reviving him I had no problems with. It was Bruce's unnecessary crisis of "I can't do anything" to "I am the man Gotham needs" in 20 seconds. It was just clunky dialog which made it seem way too forced.

Asylum's segments just served as variety and broke up the monotony of staring at Batman's butt in close up for 10 hours by replacing it with scrolling platformer style stuff. Did you not find the skeletons extremely spooky?!

Other than the cool appearance of spooky ghost batman, theres nothing in the origins segment that we really gain unless you mute the sound and play with subtitles off.

The other thing that always bothered me intensely about the final scene is the fact that mercilessly beating the joker to death doesn't really have any effect. He just laughs and laughs until he finally gets knocked out. The whole thing just seems pointless. Oh and Gordon gravely offering "any one of my boys would have killed him" as if the roid-raged batman we get in the game was pulling his punches the whole time made me laugh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Up Circle posted:

The other thing that always bothered me intensely about the final scene is the fact that mercilessly beating the joker to death doesn't really have any effect. He just laughs and laughs until he finally gets knocked out. The whole thing just seems pointless.

You probably should rewatch that scene. The Joker is choking and coughing in between laughs and pressing Batman to kill him while he is clearly aware he won't. The entire point of it is that the Joker realizes that Batman will not kill him, he isn't effortlessly noselling the punches or anything.

(Also like, going "Batman beats him down so brutally and awfully" is a bit overselling it. The biggest thing is the choking scene and that's an intentional mirror of the other Arkham games, climaxing with him actually breaking the Joker's fantasy-neck in Knight.)

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Season of Infamy spoiler relating to Mr Freeze's mission

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Ba.../966764#U966764

So like it sounds like this might be a problem, Freeze was the second mission I did and from there on the game stayed snowing. I had already beaten the game and gotten Knightfall so it didn't bother me at the time but I can see where people are saying it, as much as I am tired about it, it doesn't look as good as the rain. How was your experience with this?

Also when exactly can you do the Season of Infamy dlc? It looks kind of challenging for a first time playthrough but I think it could incorporate it's self midway through a normal play session. Or do you have to wait for the postgame section?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Origins is good. I'm not really sure I agree with anything you've said so far Up.

It's got it's faults, but all of the games do. I like it more then City, and honestly like it the most of all the Batman games, though I've always argued that.

The plot is -generally- the best. Seeing Batman grow from an angsty teen, to learning how to rely on everyone else and becoming the actual Batman is cool. Seeing everyone go from seeing him as a myth to going either oh hell/hell yes is cool Seeing how the Joker actually started his gang, the initial power struggles of the city, and how the pieces got to the point they were in later games was generally pretty cool. It had it's bad moments ( the Alfred bit at the end. The resurrection thing. ), but they paled in comparison to the really good parts of the game ( The Fall/birth of the Jokers obsession, the Executioner, Gordon calling for Batman's help for the first time. )

The combat in Asylum was fairly showy, and it wasn't until City they refined it. But I never liked how they refined it, because they focused waaay to much on perfection, and I wasn't great at that. I liked Origins because it focused on huge rooms of expendable dudes, with a few of the harder puzzle enemies, so I was able to play it "properly" by chaining big combo moves to take out the puzzle enemies after I beat up the largely expendable dudes. I actually went back and did the challenge rooms in Origins, which I didn't do with City.

I liked the city better. The Southern half felt like it fit, and made a good amount of sense. One of my main problems with City was that getting around kind of sucked, and by the endgame, every corner of that map was filled with Snipers and groups of specials. In Origins, they fixed up a lot of the tougher things to get around ( Bowery to Wonder Tower to Bridge/Industrial ), added Fast Travel, and even by the end of the game, the amount of Snipers/specials was manageable. This also made collecting all the puzzle bits at the end actually fun, unlike in City where I basically stopped 2 hours in, after I realized it'd take me another 5 hours or so just to do all the puzzle stuff/get around the hellish endgame City.

I could go on. The Boss Battles were some of the best in the series. The indoor environments are some of the best they've done in the series. Etc etc.

It was a buggy mess of an expansion pack when it first came out, not offering anything different then City, just tightening up some of the things City did poorly. But they fixed it up, and now it's just as good as the other games in the series at worst. At best it's one of the better ones.

I'll buy their Suicide Squad game if it follows the same format. And if they end up making the next Batman game as well, sure, I'll buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so we know montrial is making a sucide squad game, probaly set in the arkham universe. plus another dc game, maybe another arkham.

and now apperently rocksteady is making another one too. any ideas what any of the next arkham games will be?

if i were to guess the arkham game that montrial is doing. its going batmans first encounter with ra's al ghul and talia.

no idead about the rocksteady one.

• Locked thread