Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is what I'm talking about : "He's a bipedal Jabba. He has as much personality as required."

Zero enthusiasm. This will be nobody's favorite character.

I fuckin love the Nemoidians. They're fantastic.

If you want characters with extraneous personality development you can look at Maz, Chewie, Finn, Poe, Rey, Nunnb, Snoke, BB-8, Hitler (his name doesnt come up much and I've seen the film once so far), Phasma, "Traitor!" Trooper, and more that I'm likely missing. And thats in a film that mainly focuses on introducing the main 'tagonists and pre-established ones.

Like I said, nobody loves the nemoidians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

This is the dishonesty I was referring to.

Defend your loving claim them. Without using your assbackwards personal definitions for poo poo that we've debunked 10 or 12 times over at this point.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

There should have been an extended 20 minute scene where Kylo Ren executes civilians one by one with Mel Gibson-style dedication to violence and gore. Otherwise the viewer has no way of knowing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Chieves posted:

There should have been an extended 20 minute scene where Kylo Ren executes civilians one by one with Mel Gibson-style dedication to violence and gore. Otherwise the viewer has no way of knowing.

It worked in Bone Tomahawk!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Neurolimal posted:

If you want characters with extraneous personality development you can look at Maz, Chewie, Finn, Poe, Rey, Nunnb, Snoke, BB-8, Hitler (his name doesnt come up much and I've seen the film once so far), Phasma, "Traitor!" Trooper, and more that I'm likely missing. And thats in a film that mainly focuses on introducing the main 'tagonists and pre-established ones.

Like I said, nobody loves the nemoidians.

If we can kind of lump them in with their battle droids then I think they're one of the best parts of the prequels. I love the way they're constantly squirming around under Sheev's thumb. They start off as the antagonists, but one of them actually says "This is getting out of hand!" within like the first half hour. Poor schmucks!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Defend your loving claim them. Without using your assbackwards personal definitions for poo poo that we've debunked 10 or 12 times over at this point.

Nobody has debunked anything, though. You (or others) listed Kylos pathetic moments and tried to express them as :airquote: Kylos Threatening Scenes :airquote:, and we repeat this process every once in a while on the hopes that a hissy fit will eventually be considered threatening.

It won't, because it can't. The movie doesn't treat him as a threat. He's treated like a joke. Any alternative viewing is an actively dishonest one.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 24, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MisterBibs posted:

Nobody has debunked anything, though. You (or others) listed Kylos pathetic moments and tried to express them as :airquote: Kylos Threatening Scenes :airquote:, and we repeat this process every once in a while on the hopes that a hissy fit will eventually be considered threatening.

Lmao, ok. I think we're done here. I have my limits on how much idiocy I can tolerate.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

Are you seriously so loving ignorant that you don't understand that someone waving around a deadly weapon is a threat? That a man who orders soldiers to massacre a village is a threat?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Are you seriously so loving ignorant that you don't understand that someone waving around a deadly weapon is a threat?

The movie made it clear that, given that I'm not a computer bank, an empty torture rack, or the back of a pilot's jacket, I have nothing to fear from Kylo Ren and his weapon.

E: or an old unarmed man, forgot that one. Yes, I'd prolly be worried if I was an old man talking to someone with a laser sword. That, or he'd slip and fall down.

jivjov posted:

That a man who orders soldiers to massacre a village is a threat?

Maybe he shouldve done it. Show me him cutting down scared, fleeing people. Show me him motionlessly choking ~30 people at once. Show me danger and threat. You know, simple things.

"But he's not that guy!" You might say. Make him that. Less ineffectual hissy fits, more "When Kylo gets mad, people die."

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 24, 2015

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It was pretty hosed up how little characterization the long necked clone making dudes had, IMO.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Misterbibs is winning just shows just how paper thin this film really is. Just wadding in the star wars kiddie pool.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

The movie doesn't treat him as a threat. He's treated like a joke.

This is absolutely true.

It also doesn't undermine his effectiveness as an antagonist or the tension of the film because the audience knows he can still hurt the heroes despite what a poser he is. The audience's fears are proven correct.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Maybe he shouldve done it.

Hitler should have personally gassed everyone in the concentration camps himself. Only THEN would he be considered a threat, right? loving :lol:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

teagone posted:

Hitler should have personally gassed everyone in the concentration camps himself. Only THEN would he be considered a threat, right? loving :lol:

This.

Just because Kylo doesn't personally carry out every single execution with his bare hands does not mean that he isn't the one holding the cards.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Kylo Ren will not be a threat until he personally massacres a planet, sews all the bodies together into a corpse-meteor, blows up a planet with it (while riding the flesh meteor, twirling his saber as fighters whiz by and get chopped up), then uses Luke's soul to craft the Death Saber, a world-dicing doomsday weapon

Also he says nothing during this or takes off his mask, but when Rey fights him in the final scene he will shout about how important death is to the universe, how much he loves murder, and that Rey will make an exquisite kill-tribute to the Slaughter Lords

until that happens hes a pussy bitch cocksucking fuckboy

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
He tries to punch Rey, but misses and hits the ground, creating a city-wide crater (shaped like the batman logo)

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Shanty posted:

If we can kind of lump them in with their battle droids then I think they're one of the best parts of the prequels. I love the way they're constantly squirming around under Sheev's thumb. They start off as the antagonists, but one of them actually says "This is getting out of hand!" within like the first half hour. Poor schmucks!

"The war is over, Lord Sidious promised us... Peace!! *AGHH*"
They were not the baddest bad. More mid level corrupt really.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is what I'm talking about : "He's a bipedal Jabba. He has as much personality as required."

Zero enthusiasm. This will be nobody's favorite character.

I fuckin love the Nemoidians. They're fantastic.

Nah check this out. I'll tell you what's interesting about Unkar Plutt (who's much more Watto than Jabba anyway). He collects garbage. Cheats people out of it, when he doesn't outright steal it. That's his main thing. Every movie with the Millennium Falcon in it, somebody calls it garbage, of course, and he ends up with it. Rey was another piece of garbage that wound up in his possession. Her family abandoned her not just to Jakku, the worst planet in space, but in the care of Unkar Plutt.

She now lives far away from the settlement surrounding his armored booth, eking out her meager existence. He doesn't give her anything now, and you can tell he never gave her anything before, though she's still subject to his power. I can't imagine that they had an amicable parting. It's very contemporary, an embodiment of the experience of the latest generation under capitalism - thrown out the door and made to crawl back, stuck in an impossible situation. As her erstwhile guardian he's contrasted with "the father [she] never had" Han Solo, but it's also significant (though I joked about it) that Han gives her a job offer. It's a resonant experience for a certain demographic.

Pairs of surrogate father figures. Qui-Gon against Watto, Obi-Wan against Owen, Unkar against Han. Understood as part of that tradition, the important thing is that he doesn't actually do anything to restrain her. She leaves his home, and she could steal his spaceship at any time and all he can do is pound sand, and in the end that's what he does. Unlike Uncle Owen who forbids it with filial authority, or Uncle Watto who forbids it with a bomb, all Uncle Plutt does is calm a screaming child and she convinces herself to stay. She was left in his care, but among the things he doesn't give her is anything to help with her grief. That's why she goes into denial about the importance of staying on Jakku.

A character who reflects important aspects of another. Not bad for such a small role.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Darth Vader is to Megatron as Kylo Ren is to Starscream, discuss.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

https://www.funker530.com/marine-infantryman-plays-villain-in-new-star-wars/

chrisice
Feb 26, 2004

I'd like to love you baby and keep my other baby too.

punchymcpunch posted:

Darth Vader is to Megatron as Kylo Ren is to Starscream, discuss.

A fair appraisal. I'll go with Vader is to Galvatron as Kylo Ren was to Sparkplug in the episode where he had been mind controlled to betray the autobots.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Presented without comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=259jj-5YgdI

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
SMG is just being contrary to antagonize the "nerds" and it's really disappointing because it's too transparent and boring for him.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

sean10mm posted:

SMG is just being contrary to antagonize the "nerds" and it's really disappointing because it's too transparent and boring for him.

He said it was decent.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Cnut the Great posted:

Sure. What race was Dexter Jettster supposed to be stereotyping again?

Fat people.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Hey, there are Asians. They are in Kanja Club and referred to by hero Han Solo as "those little freaks". :eyepop:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Nah check this out. I'll tell you what's interesting about Unkar Plutt (who's much more Watto than Jabba anyway). He collects garbage. Cheats people out of it, when he doesn't outright steal it. That's his main thing. Every movie with the Millennium Falcon in it, somebody calls it garbage, of course, and he ends up with it. Rey was another piece of garbage that wound up in his possession. Her family abandoned her not just to Jakku, the worst planet in space, but in the care of Unkar Plutt.

She now lives far away from the settlement surrounding his armored booth, eking out her meager existence. He doesn't give her anything now, and you can tell he never gave her anything before, though she's still subject to his power. I can't imagine that they had an amicable parting. It's very contemporary, an embodiment of the experience of the latest generation under capitalism - thrown out the door and made to crawl back, stuck in an impossible situation. As her erstwhile guardian he's contrasted with "the father [she] never had" Han Solo, but it's also significant (though I joked about it) that Han gives her a job offer. It's a resonant experience for a certain demographic.

Pairs of surrogate father figures. Qui-Gon against Watto, Obi-Wan against Owen, Unkar against Han. Understood as part of that tradition, the important thing is that he doesn't actually do anything to restrain her. She leaves his home, and she could steal his spaceship at any time and all he can do is pound sand, and in the end that's what he does. Unlike Uncle Owen who forbids it with filial authority, or Uncle Watto who forbids it with a bomb, all Uncle Plutt does is calm a screaming child and she convinces herself to stay. She was left in his care, but among the things he doesn't give her is anything to help with her grief. That's why she goes into denial about the importance of staying on Jakku.

A character who reflects important aspects of another. Not bad for such a small role.

I dont normally care for subtext readings of others, but I will say that this is an interesting and persuasive take that is far more engaging than most Hot Takes in CineD. So kudos on that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

turtlecrunch posted:

Hey, there are Asians. They are in Kanja Club and referred to by hero Han Solo as "those little freaks". :eyepop:
I'm really looking forward to these animators taking on Rogue One.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

turtlecrunch posted:

There's also an Asian X-Wing pilot and that guy who played Miles on Lost.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

Is it not considered super racist to reference fried chicken and black people together in China?

It seemed kind of weird to me that they would do that then be like "hey where the Asians at?"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Beefstew posted:

There's also an Asian X-Wing pilot and that guy who played Miles on Lost.

Haha the thing that got the most negative commentary from my friends after we saw it was when both Miles and the pilot (aka Matt from Heroes) both showed up in the same scene. It was like "well i guess JJ needs to take care of his people!"

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Guy A. Person posted:

Is it not considered super racist to reference fried chicken and black people together in China?

It seemed kind of weird to me that they would do that then be like "hey where the Asians at?"

Is it not super racist to conflate Taiwan with China (unless you're Chinese)?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Don't worry, if you thought VII was a failure, this guy is here to save Star Wars:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11686106/1/

Highlights include:

- 700 years later, Luke is still around because he found the power to live forever as a living being, not a Force ghost
- super special rogue Force-sensitive with a white lightsaber aka "The White Blade" whose birth was forseen was taken in by alien monks and had a whole training facility built just for him
- The White Blade is so strong in the Force he offers to train Luke in what is known as the "pure lightside"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
But what of Darth Vegeta?!?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
One of the "reviews":

quote:

Btw, from what I gossip on the grapevine says, this is all JJ's fault, Disney and Lucas wanted something else completely. JJ managed to get contracted into being director in such a way they couldn't remove him when he revealed the steaming pile of excrement that was his starwars movie.

I figure at this point studios should realize that JJ turns anything he touches to ash.

Suddenly all goon posts seem reasonable.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Guy A. Person posted:

Considering even Disney thought they needed to shrink the black guy on the Chinese version of the poster...

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/12/chinese-star-wars-poster-ignites-controversy.html

In fairness my boyfriend is a Chinese citizen and he has never seen Star Wars so we binge watched 4, 5, 2, 3, 6, 7 in that order.

He said he thought 7 was the best movie out of all of them by far, he especially liked the new cast (Finn, Rey, Kylo, BB8) and felt the acting was better. Interestingly, he felt like there was less action and more story than any of the other movies (I perceived it as more). He liked the more diverse cast but was also wondering where all the Asians were at during the movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Haha the thing that got the most negative commentary from my friends after we saw it was when both Miles and the pilot (aka Matt from Heroes) both showed up in the same scene. It was like "well i guess JJ needs to take care of his people!"

Greg Grunberg is JJ's lucky charm. :3:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If we need to list cool interesting things in the new movie I don't have to go any further than Poe Dameron. What a guy.

(I said this in GenChat, but there needs to be a 12-part Adventures of Poe Dameron serial.)

Also I really liked the space monsters Han was transporting. Big rolly balls of teeth and tentacles.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Is it not super racist to conflate Taiwan with China (unless you're Chinese)?

From what I've seen, [asian country] is too busy being racist towards [every single other asian country] to consider such pedestrian racism as black people and tasty food.

turtlecrunch posted:

One of the "reviews":

Suddenly all goon posts seem reasonable.

It's surprising to see a review this negative. Even opinions that dislike the movie try to knock it down to "forgettable affair". It's like seeing Sasquatch on display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Maxwell Lord posted:

If we need to list cool interesting things in the new movie I don't have to go any further than Poe Dameron. What a guy.

(I said this in GenChat, but there needs to be a 12-part Adventures of Poe Dameron serial.)

Also I really liked the space monsters Han was transporting. Big rolly balls of teeth and tentacles.

Reminded me of the banelings or whatever from SC2.

• Locked thread