Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

willie_dee posted:

I just got banned from a Z4 Facebook page for daring to challenge the idea that the sport button stiffens the suspension because 2 admins feel it does. loving hell people are dumb.

I'm surprised manufacturers don't put a fake "sport" button in cars just for the placebo effect.

Just say it makes the vehicle feel sportier and let internet nerds argue it out for a decade or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, I found an interesting thing in my neighborhood and I want to know more about this 2001 BMW 325i Wagon

here is link if that helps

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Herr Tog posted:

Hey goons, I found an interesting thing in my neighborhood and I want to know more about this 2001 BMW 325i Wagon

here is link if that helps

Literally the least desirable year/powertrain/color/option combo on the touring. The price is intriguing, though. Just treat it like every other e46...when you buy it, know that you'll need to throw a god drat cooling system on it and every single wear bushing. For ~9 grand out the door, it'd be fuckin' perfect. But it'd still be an auto

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well, at least it's not a 323i

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
It's exactly the same as mine, only in a different colour. :v:

For what it's worth, I like the car. Yeah it's gonna have issues, same as any E46 - cooling system, check the power windows and the mirrors, power steering might be on the way out and pretty much every bushing - but they're fun cars to drive, they're surprisingly light when empty and the acceleration is good. The auto box isn't so bad, it's smooth and quiet, good for running around in but it'll give you some power when you put your foot down. Once you've taken care of the problem areas as long as you keep up on maintenance it'll last you another 50K with minimum effort. There's also a surprising amount of space in the back, although the rear hatch has smaller dimensions than the boot so don't take internal dimensions to judge what you can fit in because it might not get through.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SuperDucky posted:

Literally the least desirable year/powertrain/color/option combo on the touring. The price is intriguing, though. Just treat it like every other e46...when you buy it, know that you'll need to throw a god drat cooling system on it and every single wear bushing. For ~9 grand out the door, it'd be fuckin' perfect. But it'd still be an auto

Thank you, I now have a wealth of information on this car and E46s.

BraveUlysses posted:

Well, at least it's not a 323i

I would like to know more.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A 323 is a 2.5l M52TUB25 instead of the 2.5l M54B25 in the 325. There is nothing wrong with them, aluminum block, not drive by wire, and pick up power easier than the M54B25 does.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

willie_dee posted:

I just got banned from a Z4 Facebook page for daring to challenge the idea that the sport button stiffens the suspension because 2 admins feel it does. loving hell people are dumb.

i was going to say they don't have magnetic/air suspensions, the only ones I can think of are the E60 M5/M6 (I cant think of the others, but its not many)

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

i was going to say they don't have magnetic/air suspensions, the only ones I can think of are the E60 M5/M6 (I cant think of the others, but its not many)

You can get magnetic suspension in almost every modern BMW, including the Z4, so I'm not sure what he's talking about (they call it adaptive suspension).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Wagon shopping for wife continues; we can't find an Outback H6 we like so we're considering an E91 328xi wagon for her and using a beater truck when we need to haul something bigger. Anything to know about these? I'm having a hard time finding a list of known issues.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Stealth Like posted:

You can get magnetic suspension in almost every modern BMW, including the Z4, so I'm not sure what he's talking about (they call it adaptive suspension).

I am way behind, I stopped following BMW stuff after E60/E90. The rest of its to new for me.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

blk posted:

Wagon shopping for wife continues; we can't find an Outback H6 we like so we're considering an E91 328xi wagon for her and using a beater truck when we need to haul something bigger. Anything to know about these? I'm having a hard time finding a list of known issues.

The N52 is pretty solid, the auto isn't awful, but it's definitely not as spiffy as the new 8 speeds. Water pump and thermostat is still a ~100k thing. Otherwise, mostly check the maintenance history?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cthulhuite posted:

It's exactly the same as mine, only in a different colour. :v:

For what it's worth, I like the car. Yeah it's gonna have issues, same as any E46 - cooling system, check the power windows and the mirrors, power steering might be on the way out and pretty much every bushing - but they're fun cars to drive, they're surprisingly light when empty and the acceleration is good. The auto box isn't so bad, it's smooth and quiet, good for running around in but it'll give you some power when you put your foot down. Once you've taken care of the problem areas as long as you keep up on maintenance it'll last you another 50K with minimum effort. There's also a surprising amount of space in the back, although the rear hatch has smaller dimensions than the boot so don't take internal dimensions to judge what you can fit in because it might not get through.

Thank you. How much would that those things be in parts so I can have an idea of how much money to have upfront after I walk away with the car. Also how did you use the care? Because I was gonna use it as a daily driving and I have a thankfully short commute but also as a car camping vehicle.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Herr Tog posted:

Thank you. How much would that those things be in parts so I can have an idea of how much money to have upfront after I walk away with the car. Also how did you use the care? Because I was gonna use it as a daily driving and I have a thankfully short commute but also as a car camping vehicle.

If you do the work yourself, it'd be around $1000-1500 and a weekend of work depending on what you need, call it about 3-4000 if you're having a shop do it. Obviously that could go up or down based on rates local to you, etc.

It's not bad for daily driving, I was getting around 7.5/100km on the highway, usually around 9-10 around town. Cargo-wise it holds a LOT. We moved across Canada and it carried all out pets, clothes, electronics and various bits and bobs. We've also used it to pick up furniture and it'll fit a decent sized Loveseat without much trouble.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SuperDucky posted:

Literally the least desirable year/powertrain/color/option combo on the touring.

Ha you Americans know nothing about undesirable combinations when it comes to BMWs - nothing wrong with a 325i

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Stealth Like posted:

Magnetic suspension is a different thing from simply adjustable dampers. I don't think any BMWs use actual magnetic shocks, it's only on GM, Ferrari, some Audis and the GT350.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

dissss posted:

Ha you Americans know nothing about undesirable combinations when it comes to BMWs - nothing wrong with a 325i

Fine, "of the models we got in the US,..."

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Stealth Like posted:

They were talking about the E85.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cthulhuite posted:

If you do the work yourself, it'd be around $1000-1500 and a weekend of work depending on what you need, call it about 3-4000 if you're having a shop do it. Obviously that could go up or down based on rates local to you, etc.

It's not bad for daily driving, I was getting around 7.5/100km on the highway, usually around 9-10 around town. Cargo-wise it holds a LOT. We moved across Canada and it carried all out pets, clothes, electronics and various bits and bobs. We've also used it to pick up furniture and it'll fit a decent sized Loveseat without much trouble.

Yea, I know labor can vary greatly.

Thank fully my commute would be about 10 miles so that is okay.

Hearing that you moved across a country with it fills me with confidence. Thank you. Could you break down in more simpleterms what you had to replace?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
The iDrive screen on my 2012 X5 (E70) won't turn off when I power down the vehicle. It displays the menu and everything. This is the one with the N63 engine that just had the don't-call-it-a-recall "customer care package" service done on it, and I'm sure they disconnected all the electrical to do it. That was about 10 days ago, and the problem just popped up this morning when my wife was driving the car, so the two may be completely unrelated. Anybody heard of this?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Herr Tog posted:

Hearing that you moved across a country with it fills me with confidence. Thank you. Could you break down in more simpleterms what you had to replace?

Unless you have actual proof that within the last 50,000km it's had the following done, then make sure they're replaced;

Required:
Radiator, cap & hoses
Expansion tank * hoses
Thermostat & housing
Water pump (composite impellor)
2-3 quarts of coolant

Optional, but recommended:
Coolant temp sensor
Coolant level sensor
Fan clutch

Check the brakes, filters and fluids, might be a good idea to plan on a full service. Then you should think about suspension bushings front and rear, transmission mounts and if you're getting heavy vibrations at idle maybe engine mounts as well. If there's grinding when you're turning then your Power Steering pump could be on its way out, plan on replacing that too.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I had a 2001 330Ci and daily drove it for several years.
Picked it up with 70k miles and dumped it with about 150k, which honestly was the end of it's life (mostly in terms of little poo poo, the engine and tranny were always buttery smooth and perfect.)

I replaced the entire cooling system twice, except for the radiator, and went through 3 coolant expansion tanks.
Power steering system actually exploded and had to be replaced (pump, lines) blower fan chip died, the power locks failed, which was expensive.

From memory I also had to replace:
license plate lightbulb wiring
tail light assemblies
control arms/bushings
headlight level sensor
HID bulbs kept blowing out, which is not normal
oil pan and valve cover gaskets
alternator cooling duct (yes, a real thing somehow)
struts/shocks
drive belts and tensioners

Overall it was a great car, incredibly fun to drive and perfect handling. Really feels like a solid machine.

However do not get a used E46 unless:
A. you can afford to lease a new 320i (just do this)
B. have an untouchable stash of $5-8K set aside specifically for maintenance and repairs
C. found an absolutey mint stock car with a stack of maintenance receipts, and everything is current and perfect

I still miss that drat thing somehow...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I don't think I would expect anyone to keep 5-8k on hand for a car that is generally 4-7k to buy in the first place but my e46 has been awesome for the 7 months (5k miles) I've had it.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Not saying they aren't awesome cars or all of them will break, but mine wasn't very old when I bought it, a 2001 in 2008 with only 70k, and I easily spent more than I would have spent on a new e90 lease at the time if You factor in repairs and maintenance.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Don't forget the newest E46 is now 10 years old. (Also makes the newest e36 15 years old :psyduck: )

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't think I would expect anyone to keep 5-8k on hand for a car that is generally 4-7k to buy in the first place but my e46 has been awesome for the 7 months (5k miles) I've had it.

These cars aren't terribly expensive to maintain if you do the work yourself and shop online for parts. If you run back to the dealer for everything it's probably very easy to rack up a 4-figure bill for simple things.

If you have to plan on having a repair fund that exceeds the value of the car, potentially by thousands of dollars, it's just not worth it even though these cars are still really nice to drive.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 23, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah just stockpile parts you know will have to be replaced (cooling/ccv/sensors/etc) from online sources as you can afford them and have an indy install them a few times per year if you don't have time/tools/ability to DIY. There is a point where it's totally worth your time to just pay an indy $110/hr to install poo poo for you.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm still convinced that BMW gets its bad reputation for cost of ownership because most owners can't be arsed to lift even a single finger to do any bit of research or DIY and take it to the dealership for every trivial little thing. If you're like that, then yeah you'll get reamed. But you'll also get reamed by most dealerships regardless of brand.

If you take your car to good independent shops for serious work, and can do the little minor stuff yourself they're not that bad IMO. At this point I call the dealer for parts and labor quotes just for the lulz.

For example, some minor stuff that's gone wrong on my E46 over the years that I saved a lot of money doing myself:

- Replace dead headlight ballast/igniter that blew a bulb with it: online $110 for the igniter, $90 for two new matching bulbs, ~2 hours of troubleshooting, research/ordering parts, and install. Dealer wanted almost $200 for the igniter, $100 EACH per bulb, and would be an hour labor at $150/hr.

- Broken window switch. The little rubber bits inside the switch wore out and made the switch effectively stuck in the "down" position. Unfortunately had to order a whole new unit. Called dealer, they wanted almost $100 just for the switch. Got one online for $40. 5 minutes DIY to replace.

- DISA valve wore out, started rattling and sounding awful. Common failure due to bad part design. New OEM part from dealer: $350 and would eventually just fail again since it's the same bad design. Would be 1-2 hours labor to have them install as well. Online price for an OEM replacement still about $250. A rebuild kit that fixes the design flaw permanently: $80 and a couple hours of easy work.

And when I've had more involved work (valve cover+gasket, some cooling system stuff, tracking down an ABS/TC fault) done at an independent shop, their prices are consistently 50-60% the quote from the dealership. They're also much less likely to just throw a pile of new expensive parts at a problem, and actually try to track it down and solve it from the get go.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, but with something like a civic you don't really have any of those problems, and most tend to take "maintenance schedule: never" pretty well.

On the other hand, something like a civic doesn't have the same features/power/brandcache/adhesives.

But yeah, I get where the stereotype comes from.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I just bought air filters, but will be taking it to the mechanic for oil, brakes, fluid, rotors. It will cost handily 2x what my civic would cost for the same work including the filters.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
As with any kind of used car purchase, I think it really depends what your intentions are for the car and how long you plan to keep it. I've owned two E46s. My first one I had for several years and I did all of the "normal" stuff - cooling system, CCV, full suspension refresh, a few other things. I did all of the work myself and put ~$2000 into the car if you want to include tires. Nothing out of the ordinary ever broke on it, it never left me stranded, etc. I probably wouldn't have needed to do any other real work on the car for at least a year or two, and I intended to keep the car for a while, so the year-on-year maintenance costs were actually pretty reasonable.

Nowadays, E46s are old enough that you should probably expect to spend $1-1.5k on them right out of the gate, and really good 330s with low-ish mileage are going to run you $6-8k before that. If you're going to keep the car for a while then that's still a pretty good deal for a great car. It's not an awesome idea if you're just looking for cheap transportation that you plan to ditch for something better in a year, since you'll either always be behind on maintenance (and then what's the point?) or you'll be putting way more into the car then you're ever going to get back out of it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Nowadays, E46s are old enough that you should probably expect to spend $1-1.5k on them right out of the gate, and really good 330s with low-ish mileage are going to run you $6-8k before that. If you're going to keep the car for a while then that's still a pretty good deal for a great car. It's not an awesome idea if you're just looking for cheap transportation that you plan to ditch for something better in a year, since you'll either always be behind on maintenance (and then what's the point?) or you'll be putting way more into the car then you're ever going to get back out of it.

I got really, really lucky with my 04 E46 since a relative sold it to me for cheap after they had most of the wear and tear parts replaced, drove it for about 1000 miles and then put it in a garage for a year. I only had to spend about $250 putting in a radiator (they replaced everything in the cooling system except the part that was leaking) and a few other miscellaneous little things. It needed tires too, but even with that expense the total that I paid for an E46 with just over 100k miles that's practically new underneath was just a bit more than what people want for 15 year old beater Hondas with 200k+ miles around here. If I have to put a few parts and some time into it over the 5 years or so that I plan to keep it, it's absolutely worth it since, short of the engine or transmission blowing up, I'll still come out ahead.

Considering that the other 90% of E46 BMWs that you see on Craigslist around here are second or third owner neglected beaters that people still want $4k+ for, yeah, probably not worth it.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 24, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I had my E36 for 56 months and 93,444 miles.

In that time, I paid a total of $8663.71 in maintenance and repairs. $6173.38 was parts alone.

In terms of cost per mile, it remains the cheapest car I've owned since I started keeping track (this factors in the initial cost of the car and any monthly payments on the car) with a total cost per mile of $.1289.

While I'm certain an E46 would be slightly more expensive, I refuse to believe they're significantly worse.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The issue with the E46 for me is that in the absolute best case, you're buying a 10 year old car. That means that in many cases you're not just replacing the GDCS, but you're getting the the point where a lot of other things could use a refresh, the suspension/various bushings could be replaced, the cluster pixels are broken, the seats/interior may be falling apart, etc.

When you start adding up all of those things you start asking yourself what the point is of putting a few thousand in to a car that in the end will still be a 10+ year old car, with the maintenance issues that are inherent to it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I would say the wild card with that is when shopping a car that old it's worth it to get the M as they have a good enthusiast following and will have a higher chance at holding value if that's your concern. My wife has her car and I have an E36 M3 that's driven every day. I'm comfortable knowing it's not anything that special but it is easily twice as valuable as any other E36 offered today. At this point I'd take an early model E46 M3 over a later model 330i, zhp or not.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Oh hey I meant to post a while ago, but since E46's are the topic, it seems like a good time. This thread recommended a ZHP as my follow-up to my older 6'er. Got one with around 65k miles, very clean, and great service records. About $1k of immediate needs (hydraulic belt tensioner had failed, etc.), and all seems golden right now.

Thanks for the help with this decision, thread (and specifically BlackMK4 who made a detailed recommendation earlier in the thread)!

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 24, 2015

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Residency Evil posted:

The issue with the E46 for me is that in the absolute best case, you're buying a 10 year old car. That means that in many cases you're not just replacing the GDCS, but you're getting the the point where a lot of other things could use a refresh, the suspension/various bushings could be replaced, the cluster pixels are broken, the seats/interior may be falling apart, etc.

Aside from pillar trim falling down (which was happening on these cars long before they were 10 years old), there actually aren't any interior quality issues with E46s. Seats generally don't break, none of the cluster pixel problems that E38/39s had, etc. I've been in 200k+ mile E46s where the interior looked and felt brand new. Like, I wouldn't expect a low-ish mileage E46 to have more problems or be more expensive to maintain than an E9x with equivalent mileage, 10 years old or not.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
What's the word on the 1 series around here? I am looking for a new DD and am not very handy myself, but I test drove a clean 2013 128i automatic and really liked it. I found the same model elsewhere for $18k at 26.4k miles. It's got the Sports package, and is pre-wrecked: Carfax says somebody rear ended it and it was "drivable" at the scene. No warranty.

What would be the deal breakers on a PPI? What issues should I be aware of?

I know the sensible option is the Civic option, but I find this little car irresistibly adorable, dammit :argh: I just want to know if it would be a "be ready to spend more on routine maintenance" situation or a "be prepared to hitch a lot of rides until bankrupt" situation. I can handle the first one.

Blue Scream fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 26, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://vid.me/fGHa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Get a PPI