Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
What does the CPU meter say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Recently grabbed an old Juno 106 for myself and after a bit of work I've got it communicating keys and pitch-bend with Ableton. I was wondering if I could go a step further and automate other parameters from Ableton.

It's my understanding that Ableton doesn't handle SysEx messages at all, so I used a GoBetween, both CTRLR and a Max4Live Device called Juno106Control. Now these were pretty great in that they let me edit, load, and save presets and have a gui to play with in-box, but they don't allow for real-time automation. I found Rekon Audio Juno-106 Editor which promises a bunch of features like 'real time automation'. Seems like it might be a sure thing!... Except, from what I've gleaned from other forums, it seems SysEx (and in particular, the Juno's onboard chipset) seem ill equipped to actually handle real-time automation.

I'd rather not drop $60 on a glorified editor like the one I already have, if indeed the Juno would have trouble accepting real time parameter automation. Anyone have experience with this or a similar synth?

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
I have two issues using Granulator in Max for Live. Every 30-60 seconds of playing, the audio from Granulator cuts out and resumes after like 5 seconds of silence. The other thing is that when I save a project and exit Live, the settings & sample for Granulator instruments are not saved. I can somewhat work around both of these issue by resampling, but obviously that is a very incomplete solution. Does anyone know how to fix this stuff? If not for these issues, I'd be using Granulator a lot more.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
The new IRCAMAX 2 bundle for Max for Live has some really impressive-looking effects: https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/ircamax-2/

I really wish I had more time to invest in Live and M4L. I know there's some mind-blowing stuff in there (and in this new bundle). But I'm less experimental and more utilitarian with my day-to-day DAW use.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
As a Live 9 user, is there any reason to keep the Live 8 library around if I no longer have any old projects that rely on it? Anyone ever find a good reason to use sounds from the 8 library instead of the 9 library on a new project?

Verror
May 10, 2012

https://soundcloud.com/verrore/car-accident

Here's something I cooked up over the past couple days.

Verror fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 8, 2016

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4QY5Z8LBEo

Merry christmas you finks!

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

so I just upgraded to 9.5 and suddenly a couple of vst's that are very important to me no longer show up - synth1 and sampletron. in both cases the proper files are in the proper locations, they are supposed to be for 64bit.. anyone else have this problem?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Earwicker posted:

so I just upgraded to 9.5 and suddenly a couple of vst's that are very important to me no longer show up - synth1 and sampletron. in both cases the proper files are in the proper locations, they are supposed to be for 64bit.. anyone else have this problem?

Korg Legacy Wavestation dissappeared when I switched to 9, re-installed it a few times, trashed prefs, no luck.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
I'm thinking about diving in balls first and buying a Push 2 with the full Live Suite. Is this a retarded idea if I've never messed with this stuff before? I looked at a Launchpad and a Midi Fighter, but I sorta feel like if I'm going to go for it I should just go for it and play with the big boy toys, I dunno what kind of hell faces me plugging the rest of my stuff up into it though.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I'm planning to buy my first Mac, mainly for Ableton/music stuff, and I'm looking at my options.

I'm going to get a 13-inch MacBook Pro. Is it worth upgrading from the 2.9GHZ processor to the 3.1GHZ (+$200)? How about upgrading from 8GB RAM to 16GB (+$200)?

I use a lot of sample-based plug-ins, particularly EzDrummer and an orchestral VST. I use Guitar Rig for all my guitar stuff, so minimal lag is critical for that. I'm prepared to spend the extra if it will make a major difference.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Popcorn posted:

I'm planning to buy my first Mac, mainly for Ableton/music stuff, and I'm looking at my options.

I'm going to get a 13-inch MacBook Pro. Is it worth upgrading from the 2.9GHZ processor to the 3.1GHZ (+$200)? How about upgrading from 8GB RAM to 16GB (+$200)?

I use a lot of sample-based plug-ins, particularly EzDrummer and an orchestral VST. I use Guitar Rig for all my guitar stuff, so minimal lag is critical for that. I'm prepared to spend the extra if it will make a major difference.

Nah I don't think the extra CPU would make a huge difference. On a project of any size you're going to be freezing stuff anyways, you're unlikely to need more than a couple of live tracks of Guitar Rig at a time. Also I don't remember GR being a super big CPU hog, GR 4 isn't at least.

You can get 16GB of good quality 3rd party Macbook RAM for about $80, and it's a 15 minute upgrade with a single screwdriver (you literally just unscrew the bottom lid of the Macbook and the RAM slots are right there).

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Popcorn posted:

If you're concerned about latency, decent audio interface would be top priority.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Big SSD.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

I had this with one of the SoundToys plugins and holding Alt while clicking rescan did the trick.

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article/vst-compatible/

Worth a try :shobon:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Earwicker posted:

Had the same thing happen w/ Synth1. Are you on OSX or Windows?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm on OSX. I got Synth1 working again (though for some reason it now needs to be in a sub folder in my plugins folder in order to work) but have not gotten Sampletron back running. It always had problems as a VST so I prefer running it as an AU, but currently cannot get it recognized as either

thethuthinnang
Feb 3, 2004

cool as heck

h_double posted:

You can get 16GB of good quality 3rd party Macbook RAM for about $80, and it's a 15 minute upgrade with a single screwdriver (you literally just unscrew the bottom lid of the Macbook and the RAM slots are right there).

Macbook Pros(all of them are Retina now) have not had user serviceable RAM for years now. You've gotta buy all of your RAM up front, it is soldered to the board.

-this post from user renderful, my wife was logged in.

thethuthinnang fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 18, 2016

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
FYI Apple does still sell a plain old MBP that has user upgradable RAM.

Earwicker posted:

I'm on OSX. I got Synth1 working again (though for some reason it now needs to be in a sub folder in my plugins folder in order to work) but have not gotten Sampletron back running. It always had problems as a VST so I prefer running it as an AU, but currently cannot get it recognized as either

Awesome, this worked!

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

thethuthinnang posted:

Macbook Pros(all of them are Retina now) have not had user serviceable RAM for years now. You've gotta buy all of your RAM up front, it is soldered to the board.

-this post from user renderful, my wife was logged in.

Ah yikes didn't know they'd done that to the Retina MBPs, thanks for the correction.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I just updated to whatever the most recent 9.5 version is, and holy crap did they really improve some stuff! Tracks now have different colors by default and some of the visual changes are pretty great!
I was working on a metal mix and discovered the built in compressor has a sidechain feature; is this new? Maybe I just stumbled across it, but it was the one feature I rely on yet had to go to external plugins to do. It's way easier to use than the waves comp-sc, and seems to have less of a system impact too. Just pick the track you want as the sidechain, adjust the gain, and it immediately adds the pumping I need to bring out the kick when up against a high gain guitar and rumbling bass. It also visually shows when it's active, so you can see exactly how much the sidechain is compressing the main track.

Any other super useful features anyone has discovered with the recent updates?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

The Gasmask posted:

I just updated to whatever the most recent 9.5 version is, and holy crap did they really improve some stuff! Tracks now have different colors by default and some of the visual changes are pretty great!
I was working on a metal mix and discovered the built in compressor has a sidechain feature; is this new? Maybe I just stumbled across it, but it was the one feature I rely on yet had to go to external plugins to do. It's way easier to use than the waves comp-sc, and seems to have less of a system impact too. Just pick the track you want as the sidechain, adjust the gain, and it immediately adds the pumping I need to bring out the kick when up against a high gain guitar and rumbling bass. It also visually shows when it's active, so you can see exactly how much the sidechain is compressing the main track.

Any other super useful features anyone has discovered with the recent updates?

It has always had sidechaining, it's just behind a little carrot menu (same with AutoFilter). AutoFilter also got a massive update, and it's much better - filter drive and slopes that I think would be fun on guitars/bass.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh poo poo I didn't notice any changes with Autofilter I'll have to check that out. the only positive change I've noticed was the color thing, I still can't get Sampletron working again

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Earwicker posted:

oh poo poo I didn't notice any changes with Autofilter I'll have to check that out. the only positive change I've noticed was the color thing, I still can't get Sampletron working again

Autofilter blows my mind now. I've been using the new slope/poles and overdrive a LOT.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

THERES A TUNER

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

drat, I had no idea sidechaining had been there before. Yet another feature that had been hidden behind menus or tabs that they finally brought to the forefront. I'll check out the auto filter stuff, I primarily use PSP84 so I'll have to see if the built-in one can do some of the wild effects I'm used to.

It's sort of embarrassing, been using Live since v6 and who knows how many tools I've bought plugins for thanks to Live's stuff being hidden or just unintuitive. At least a bunch of my most-used effects are now included, even if they're harder to find.

EQ8's mid-side switch is clutch, toss that on the master before whatever mastering tools you use and boost side frequencies while cutting center ones (or vice versa) to make the stereo field seem wider and give instruments their own little space.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 25, 2016

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Ableton's setup has always been very documentation based. I think they've put a lot of time into it, and they expect that you would read it to figure out how everything works.

Not saying that I agree or disagree, but it seems to be their approach to the interface.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

dj bobby bieber posted:

Ableton's setup has always been very documentation based. I think they've put a lot of time into it, and they expect that you would read it to figure out how everything works.

Not saying that I agree or disagree, but it seems to be their approach to the interface.

Honestly Live has been the easiest of the DAWs to learn for me, because it's extremely intuitive for certain kinds of arranging, which also means that (in my case) some features are missed because they aren't where I'd expect. Especially coming from using it for so long, when things are introduced I might miss them because I generally don't pore over a change log.

It's not really a knock to the program - if I didn't have plug ins that would do what I need I'd scour the manual and figure out if Live could do it. But coming from the way I learned it (used Cubase for years, then my studio partner introduced me to Live and I've spent the time since then figuring the ins and outs of the program myself), there are definitely some UI arrangements that don't feel entirely logical. That's just a reality of limited UI space, and they're definitely getting better at making things intuitive. And now that Live has native dual monitor support I'll probably be adding a second screen.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
RTFM, people :) It makes such a difference

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
As a new Live user (Windows based), does anyone have any recommended tutorial videos? I have been powering through Tom Cosm's Ableton tutorials which are extremely helpful in teaching me a lot of different tools within Ableton and how to build a number of different sounds without the need for VSTs. The only issue is that his style is really centered around glitch/dubstep where I would say I lean more towards melody-driven House. Thanks a lot for the help!

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Take a look at this: http://www.pyramind.com/training/blog/2013/03/23/elite-session-with-jaytech-anjunabeats-video-recap

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Oh wow thanks for this. I'm gearing up for another burst of absorbing information now that I've had some success on the practical side of things, a bunch of stuff finally gelled, and this looks like a great start to that.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

This was really useful. Thanks.

On that note, does anybody have any recommendations for music theory guides? Preferentially looking for video whereby they teach it in an actual DAW (preferably Ableton obviously.) I found "BusyWorksBeats Music Theory In A Day" to be mostly this, but he teaches in FruityLoops and also seems to venture a little too often into the "just feel it out" territory so I haven't dropped any $$ on his full lessons yet.

vvv Will check that out, thanks!

Siets fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 28, 2016

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Music Theory for Computer Musicians is pretty great.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

This is awesome thanks.

So I managed to get my Yamaha keyboard hooked into Ableton as a midi-controller, but the latency I am getting between hitting a key and hearing the operator is really noticeable. I looked online and it seems like the only way to get rid of this issue is to get an Audio Interface with a Midi I/O. This really blows because if I would have known about this latency issue, I would have spent a little extra money on the Scarlett 2i4 instead of getting the 2i2. Are there any other ways to get rid of this latency short of buying a new interface?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

MrSargent posted:

This is awesome thanks.

So I managed to get my Yamaha keyboard hooked into Ableton as a midi-controller, but the latency I am getting between hitting a key and hearing the operator is really noticeable. I looked online and it seems like the only way to get rid of this issue is to get an Audio Interface with a Midi I/O. This really blows because if I would have known about this latency issue, I would have spent a little extra money on the Scarlett 2i4 instead of getting the 2i2. Are there any other ways to get rid of this latency short of buying a new interface?

Try tweaking the settings under Preferences>Audio>Latency

I'm not sure what Yamaha keyboard you have or what kind of computer you have, but I use a 2i2 combined with Ableton constantly, it's the backbone of my tour setup, and I do not have latency issues. However whenever I use a midi keyboard (which is always either an xkey 37 or novation impulse 49) I have it connected via USB, it doesn't connect to the interface at all. I use the 2i2 primarily to run a mandolin into Ableton, and for my main outs.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 29, 2016

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Try tweaking the settings under Preferences>Audio>Latency

I'm not sure what Yamaha keyboard you have or what kind of computer you have, but I use a 2i2 combined with Ableton constantly, it's the backbone of my tour setup, and I do not have latency issues. However whenever I use a midi keyboard (which is always either an xkey 37 or novation impulse 49) I have it connected via USB, it doesn't connect to the interface at all. I use the 2i2 primarily to run a mandolin into Ableton, and for my main outs.

I have a Lenovo Y50 laptop and was plugging my Yamaha YPG-235 in via USB. I'll try tweaking the latency when I get back home, can't believe I missed that. Thanks a lot!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MrSargent posted:

Drivers are the main culprit for poor interface performance and Focusrite uses the same driver across the Scarlett product line, so getting the 2i4 wouldn't help you. (RME, MOTU, Zoom, Steinberg, Roland all deliver better performance than Focusrite.)

Setting your sample buffer as low as it can go without resulting in audio glitches is the most effective thing you can do. You can also walk through the "Driver Error Compensation" wizard in the Ableton Lessons section of Live, but this usually only nets you a small amount of ms.

If you're working with external audio (guitar, vocals, hardware synth), you can also use the interface's direct monitoring feature, but that won't help latency problems with virtual instruments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Radiapathy posted:

Drivers are the main culprit for poor interface performance and Focusrite uses the same driver across the Scarlett product line, so getting the 2i4 wouldn't help you. (RME, MOTU, Zoom, Steinberg, Roland all deliver better performance than Focusrite.)

Setting your sample buffer as low as it can go without resulting in audio glitches is the most effective thing you can do. You can also walk through the "Driver Error Compensation" wizard in the Ableton Lessons section of Live, but this usually only nets you a small amount of ms.

If you're working with external audio (guitar, vocals, hardware synth), you can also use the interface's direct monitoring feature, but that won't help latency problems with virtual instruments.

Thanks guys, I was able to tweak the buffer around a bit to get the latency down without getting any weird clicks or pops. I really like writing out ideas on the keys, and so far have been transcribing manually into ableton. Without a strong musical theory background this has been painful as hell, but already loving having a midi controller handy.