Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Locator posted:

My family all give each other lists, because we are all a pain in the rear end to buy for since if it's something we really want, we've probably already bought it. I don't really get how this should irk you.

I suppose I could buy stuff for my Dad that he'll thank me for, and then put into a closet and never look at again, or I could you know.. ask him what he wants and get a list, so that there is a least a little bit of a chance that he'll actually use and enjoy what I get him.

We pretty much do a single gift for immediate family, and multiples for kids. I'm pretty much giving all gift cards this year, because of that first sentence up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SuperDucky posted:

The very notion that you ask for something for christmas, outside of being a child, has always irked me. Isn't the entire social construct, there, that you know the person well enough to get them something that they'll enjoy/find useful/make them smile?
Stop being a twat. I asked my brother what he wanted this year, and that's what I went out and bought. Sometimes you draw a blank, and would rather make sure.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

We pretty much do a single gift for immediate family, and multiples for kids. I'm pretty much giving all gift cards this year, because of that first sentence up there.

One year I bought everyone a '$150 contribution in their name' to a charity. My mother loved it, but I don't think it really went over well with anyone else. I mean they all 'said' that it was great, but it was fairly obvious that they just didn't really get it. Christmas is weird in that it's supposed to be about giving, and the family is cool when I've not been in a position to give them anything at all, but somehow giving their 'gift' to people who really needed it a lot more than us just didn't fly.

I just do all my charity stuff on my own now and don't try to include them.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I love picking out and giving presents. Got my pops a box of Citizen eCigars instead of a box of real cigars because I want him to try and switch. Got my mom a nice safety green Nike water bottle and a Sterling silver running shoe charm that says I <3 Running since she got into running this year. Got my bro a 1g bar of gold since he can buy whatever he wants and I have been making it a tradition in giving him PMs. Got my girl an EZ Pee funnel as an inside joke and a Sterling silver necklace with a guinea pig pendant since she has 3 and is obsessed with them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I had it easy on christmas shopping, my GF and I went through a tourist trap sort of mall when she hadn't been hired at her new job yet and I just threw all the stuff I could tell she really really wanted but couldn't afford on my amazon prime from 2 feet behind her and pretended I was texting my gearhead friends. Plus a few things I was pretty sure she'd like.

We used to do a family gift giving thing where we'd post lists of stuff we thought might be cool, or think of something yourself, and then draw each other's names out of a hat. It was alright, I usually ended up making stuff. We aren't really doing it this year though because my brother is with his wife's family this year and my sister and parents had a falling out (cliffs: parents are crazy rightwing religious people, sister is gay and her wife and my mom had a knock down/drag out argument blah blah blah goddammit just get along and stop being dicks) so it's just me and the parents this time around. I hope they get over themselves by next year :sigh:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

IOwnCalculus posted:

I do enjoy plugging VINs for my old cars into AZ's emissions-results database; gives me at least some idea of whether they're still on the road today. So far, it looks like my old Ranger has racked up another 8k since I sold it and passed on the first try. My old Volvo 240 is on at least the second owner after me (I found it on CL once!) and as of last year has made it at least 226k indicated... there's probably 5-10k that didn't go on the odometer thanks to a broken gear, too. It's still pissing off whoever owns it by failing emissions on a regular basis, too.

The Mazdaspeed3 hasn't been tested in well over two years so either it's left the state or been written off.

I did this a few months ago with my most recently sold car (a 1991 Toyota Soarer) and found its registration was allowed to expire this past June. I found the guy's mobile number in my phone and texted him; a couple days later I got a reply from his brother...

The guy who bought my soarer off me span it off the edge of a twisty mountain road and died in May :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

It wasn't the car's fault though, he was just going way too fast and hit a slippery bit in a corner (oil slick or something; i didn't get many details since you know I was talking to his grieving brother :v:)

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You're just trying to make me sound like an rear end in a top hat. My mom asked me if I wanted anything in particular and I said that. Otherwise I would just get the response, "If you don't tell me you're going to end up with a bunch of socks!" Chill out.

what if i want socks for christmas :v

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
At least he used a car with the appropriate name for such a death.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just watched a security guard in a golf cart chase a car across a parking lot, frantically trying to take pictures of it with his phone.

Five minutes later the car goes by the other way, followed by the cart ten seconds later except now the guy is missing his hat and is screaming loudly.

I feel like I'm in a Benny hill sketch.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/22/jet-powered-go-kart-craigslist/

Somebody buy this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I love picking out and giving presents. Got my pops a box of Citizen eCigars instead of a box of real cigars because I want him to try and switch. Got my mom a nice safety green Nike water bottle and a Sterling silver running shoe charm that says I <3 Running since she got into running this year. Got my bro a 1g bar of gold since he can buy whatever he wants and I have been making it a tradition in giving him PMs. Got my girl an EZ Pee funnel as an inside joke and a Sterling silver necklace with a guinea pig pendant since she has 3 and is obsessed with them.

I enjoy giving presents, though it's had to be small stuff this year.

Stepdad got this, since he drinks coffee nonstop and works for Walgreens.

Dad got this, since he drinks coffee nonstop, is a CPA/CVA, and getting ready to retire. Figured it'd go well on his desk at work.

Mom got a calendar from a badass local photographer that we both like. He single handedly made sure Dallas never uses this particular holiday decor setup again after printing up a batch of Christmas cards with that photo. :laffo:

The Locator posted:

One year I bought everyone a '$150 contribution in their name' to a charity. My mother loved it, but I don't think it really went over well with anyone else. I mean they all 'said' that it was great, but it was fairly obvious that they just didn't really get it. Christmas is weird in that it's supposed to be about giving, and the family is cool when I've not been in a position to give them anything at all, but somehow giving their 'gift' to people who really needed it a lot more than us just didn't fly.

One of my aunts sent me a card saying she'd made a donation to a charity I happened to support, in my name.

Personally, I appreciated it far more than a physical gift.

When my parents ask what I want, I tell them "nothing, and especially not any clothes". So I always wind up with clothes that I don't like :argh: and a gift card or two. :unsmith: I really don't want them spending their money on me damnit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yeah when i think go karts what im looking for is poor acceleration off the line and high top speed

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
do they make z-rated 5" tires?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SuperDucky posted:

The very notion that you ask for something for christmas, outside of being a child, has always irked me. Isn't the entire social construct, there, that you know the person well enough to get them something that they'll enjoy/find useful/make them smile?

Full disclosure: I bought my mother a weathertech boot cover for her x5 last year because...she had just gotten a x5 and it had a beige interior.

e: but then, again, I've always been in the beep beep boop boop crowd in AI

Depends on the family.
My entire family has christmas gift lists because we're all so hard to loving ahop for.
My mom "asked" for an air compressor (among other things) because my mom is awesome. I bought her one (mom, don't be on SA).
I asked for some roof rack stuff an some clothes. I don't feel entitled to it, it is just how things work.

Edit: guess this dog pile has occured already. Main point, I bought my mom an air compressor for christmas because she asked for it, which is awesome.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 24, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Got my pops a box of Citizen eCigars instead of a box of real cigars
You're a monster.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

He's been smoking a cigar a day for 42 years. I am worried. I know they aren't cigarettes, but still...:clint:

Unless we buy them for him as gifts he doesn't even smoke good cigars. He smokes like Dutch Masters and poo poo. I'm like dad you know those are so lovely people buy them just to put weed in right?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
This

quote:

But I'd like this.

Late last night after I'd gotten everything done and my meds had seriously kicked in I chanced across them in a white folded up paper bag of the type that commonly hods pies or sausage rolls, at the bottom of an Aldi shopping bag in the sunroom. Weirdest thing was I'm sure I checked that bag a few times previously. I guess it's one of those things where a person has to be in the same mindset as originally to retrace their steps. Still have no recollection but I found them so it's all good. Massive relief.

I still don't retract my "gently caress Christmas" sentiment though. It's always commercial bullshit or religious bullshit at every turn, and a day organizing a get together that nobody wants or enjoys that usually results in some variety of disaster.
I just want an enjoyable redneck family day of playing dangerously with motorized things.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My roommate came home with a Jim Beam Sour Apple nip for each of us. So loving disgusting holy poo poo.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My roommate came home with a Jim Beam Sour Apple nip for each of us. So loving disgusting holy poo poo.

Are we talking cherry schnapps bad?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i avoid flavored liquors like that unless I'm looking to get frat boy drunk

which is to say less than one night a year on average

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Even then, just drink actual whisky/whiskey until you reach the intended state.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

no, yeah, i meant just for that last little bit where you're so drunk your tongue no longer really gives a gently caress

why waste good liquor at that point, right?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Exceptions to that rule: sweet tea vodka and pumpkin cream liqueur.

Muthafuckin' John Dalys and Pumpkin Russians.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Sitting in the living room with my gas mask on. Problem solved.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

I do enjoy plugging VINs for my old cars into AZ's emissions-results database; gives me at least some idea of whether they're still on the road today. So far, it looks like my old Ranger has racked up another 8k since I sold it and passed on the first try. My old Volvo 240 is on at least the second owner after me (I found it on CL once!) and as of last year has made it at least 226k indicated... there's probably 5-10k that didn't go on the odometer thanks to a broken gear, too. It's still pissing off whoever owns it by failing emissions on a regular basis, too.

The Mazdaspeed3 hasn't been tested in well over two years so either it's left the state or been written off.

My 1990 Camry has passed all its smog checks in California since it was traded in in 2003 and that makes me really happy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The replacement motherboard showed up today, so I went through a very careful inspection of the socket after opening it, no damage to any pins visible. Swapped out motherboards, again, and doing everything exactly the same as the previous two times. Stuck the memory in slots A2+B2 per the manual recommendation, and it works perfectly.

I have no idea what's up with those first two boards and how they got pin damage, but drat I'm glad to finally be done with this stupid thing.

All that's left now is the inevitable hour to be wasted on the phone with Microsoft support trying to get them to generate an activation key that will work, since for some reason my retail box key from Windows never worked properly. Guess this will be the third case# written on the inside of that box next to the license key.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Best liquor to mix with eggnogg? I found some awesome nogg that I really like.

I made it through the hardest day of the year at work today. 12 hours and it was a total pain in the rear end, but made it out alive.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Even then, just drink actual whisky/whiskey until you reach the intended state.

Mostly whiskey with a touch of lemonade is my all the time drink and is perfect for everything. Even your average bartender can get it right. Whiskey is truly the best liquor for all the time drinking.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

angryhampster posted:

Spiced rum of your choice. Captain Morgan is always solid, but I'm enjoying this "The Kraken" stuff I bought based off a commercial (I'm a whore to cool commercials.) Sprinkle a little cinnamon and nutmeg on top (or pumpkin pie seasoning, which is basically both of those in a good mix) before you stir it up.
Proceed to drink 4 liters of Eggnog and most of a 26 of rum and pass out.
Repeat until New Years when eggnog disappears.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

angryhampster posted:

Brandy or bourbon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So I built a computer for Christmas from spare parts:

AMD 9590 4.7 Ghz Watercooled
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z Mainboard
10GB DDR3 (Mixed bag)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB
300 GB SAS
4TB SATA
1200 Watt PSU

Not bad considering the CPU and Motherboard were free.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

jamal posted:

Good socks, like the nice smartwool "lifestyle" socks, are a good gift.

PS I am a weathertech dealer and can usually beat amazon's prices

Smartwool long Johns are so great. Best.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Made it to Sheridan OR without any issues. Drinking good beer and smoking weed with the family. Happy holidays everyone!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's not nothing on T's Dr McGillicutty's MentholMint.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Ozmiander posted:

It's not nothing on T's Dr McGillicutty's MentholMint.

Ugh. I went through a 100 proof peppermint schnapps phase years ago when I dropped outta college.

Anyways, dodging weed smoke like...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

So I built a computer for Christmas from spare parts:

AMD 9590 4.7 Ghz Watercooled

Not bad considering the CPU and Motherboard were free.

Free is about the right price for AMD CPU's. :v:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Starting my new job Monday providing I pass the piss test (lol).

LOL. Right on man! Congrats and good luck!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's with all these piss tests SAC has to do? I've never had a job request a piss test from me.

I don't even know if it's legal to ask for one.

The healthcare industry, at least in my state (Washington), tests and weed is legal here. I had to test and every person I hire has to test too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Free is about the right price for AMD CPU's. :v:

I like it. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mat_Drinks posted:

The healthcare industry, at least in my state (Washington), tests and weed is legal here. I had to test and every person I hire has to test too.

There's plenty of companies that even go so far as to test for tobacco use, despite tobacco being legal.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

BloodBag posted:

I've found the perfect forum for you. :wtc:

Anyway.... I know I have a garmin edge 520 coming from ***~~~~my parents~~~~*** on this social construct of an appropriated pagan holiday that the sheeple foolishly celebrate, praise Dawkins. Because they asked what I would like. I've been waiting 7 years. Looking forward to way less bullshit involved in getting my rides on strava now!
I like my 520. No touchscreen, but its really not needed. Good battery life and does the job well, not much to complain about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

some texas redneck posted:

There's plenty of companies that even go so far as to test for tobacco use, despite tobacco being legal.

It's so they can deny you health coverage.

• Locked thread