Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
No it's just marketing trolling for the stupidest millenials out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Whatup, Swolethread? Been a while.

Today I bought a rack, adjustable bench, cable pull, barbell, dumbbells, ez curl and 500 pounds of weight off craigslist.

I can finally squat in the nude like a free man.

congrats i hope to do the same someday where are you keeping your newly acquired home gym?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I benched 305 for 6 reps yesterday, btw, not to brag

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Great job :coolfish:

I did 375x8 deadlifts

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

SpeedyCow posted:

I did 375x8 deadlifts

I'm gonna go 376x8 tomorrow then fucker

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Pfft, I benched 115 for 20 reps and that's over 2000 lbs moved compared to your piddly 1830.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Garrand posted:

Pfft, I benched 115 for 20 reps and that's over 2000 lbs moved compared to your piddly 1830.

This always strikes me as an interesting stat to track, yet I never do it.

Like - today I'm benching 2100 lbs, any way I want to get it. It'd be interesting to time it, too. 2100 lbs in 10 minutes, for instance.

"Bitch you don't even know - I bench two ten a minute!"

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Zahgaegun posted:

This always strikes me as an interesting stat to track, yet I never do it.

Like - today I'm benching 2100 lbs, any way I want to get it. It'd be interesting to time it, too. 2100 lbs in 10 minutes, for instance.

"Bitch you don't even know - I bench two ten a minute!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSid_ettevQ

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Still not sure if that's real or not, but goddamn I love it :allears:

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gym's finally completed their 'functional strength' area with monkey bars, bumper plates, boxes, kettlebells, foam rollers, etc. Very nice actually! Only thing they left out is a deadlift platform.

And don't go hating, most of this stuff comes in handy when training for MMA/BJJ. :)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I'm going away for two weeks to visit my wife's family for Christmas, and it's pretty unlikely I'll be able to get to a gym while I'm there. G...goodbye gainz :negative:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

SpeedyCow posted:

I did 375x8 deadlifts

I did 385x6, 4 sets this morning. I'm gonna yield to you on this one.

Pesmerga posted:

I'm going away for two weeks to visit my wife's family for Christmas, and it's pretty unlikely I'll be able to get to a gym while I'm there. G...goodbye gainz :negative:

Happy atrophy, nerd

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm still sore from deadlifting 415x2 followed by 215x50 squats on Tuesday. Twink forever.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I did 385x6, 4 sets this morning. I'm gonna yield to you on this one.

Get owned, pissant!

I hope I can do 495x1 in a couple weeks. I'm eating so much food

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

SpeedyCow posted:

I hope I can do 495x1 in a couple weeks. I'm eating so much food

Do you wear a loving deadlift suit or are you just strong as a motherfucker?

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Ive surprised myself at how fast I've increased my deadlift in the last year. My max was an ugly 315 and now I'm doing 440x2 with good form.

Also 385x6 x4 is hella strong

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

A deadlift suit aka erector spinae.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

http://youtu.be/5bnnIoB9PGI The last twink "squatting" was at my gym in my favorite spot. I will find him and destroy him

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

SpeedyCow posted:

http://youtu.be/5bnnIoB9PGI The last twink "squatting" was at my gym in my favorite spot. I will find him and destroy him

Did your gym waste money on bumper plates for their squat racks or is he extra stupid?

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Dum Cumpster posted:

Did your gym waste money on bumper plates for their squat racks or is he extra stupid?

That rack doubles as the deadlift area. I've seen a guy squatting 4 bumper plates before. One plate fell off and it was hilarious.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

You are extremely fortunate and I am very jealous. Assuming you got a hell of a deal?

900 for the whole lot. I paid half, and my roommate and girlfriend split the other half.

In other news, I have a girlfriend who lets me have a big weight set in our place, which is awesome.

We also have gymnastic rings, which holy poo poo. Those things are a workout.

final2percent posted:

congrats i hope to do the same someday where are you keeping your newly acquired home gym?

I have a room off to the side we are putting it in. I need to build mats to protect the floor, so for now it's just sitting on plywood until I can get to a farm store. It's a pretty awesome location though, totally isolated so we can blast music.

I'm getting my roommate who is active, but not a lifter on SS. We've worked out twice, and man he has a great DOMS hobble right now.

FreakerByTheSpeaker fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 17, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
After 8 months of stronglifts I'm thinking of switching to 5/3/1 and starting to bulk. Is this a terrible idea?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Do people really build any muscle on 5/3/1 rotations

All I ever get out of low rep stuff is strength. I never got any decent muscles until i started doing reps in the range of 10-12ish

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Speaking of bumper plates, new home gym is on a wood floor. The building used to be a factory, so the structure is stable as hell, but to protect the floor I'm doing tarp/half inch plywood/Horsemat. Will this be enough to protect it, or should I get some bumper plates as well?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Zzulu posted:

All I ever get out of low rep stuff is strength. I never got any decent muscles until i started doing reps in the range of 10-12ish

The BBB 5/3/1 program has you do 5x10 of accessory work at half weight after the main lift. So your workout might look something like this:

5/3/1 bench
5x10 OHP
5x10 pull ups
3x10 curls

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I thought the bumpers were to protect the plates from the floor, not the other way around.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Zzulu posted:

The most popular accessory work for 5/3/1 is 5 x 10 of your main lift after your AMRAP

Speaking of bumper plates, new home gym is on a wood floor. The building used to be a factory, so the structure is stable as hell, but to protect the floor I'm doing tarp/half inch plywood/Horsemat. Will this be enough to protect it, or should I get some bumper plates as well?

That should work but you can get one pair of cheap ones just to be safe

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Dum Cumpster posted:

That should work but you can get one pair of cheap ones just to be safe

I was thinking later down the line purchase. They can be gotten pretty cheap at an outlet out in the west burbs (I think 1.44/lb.)

Would one set of 45s help, or should I get as many as I'll be lifting with?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

I was thinking later down the line purchase. They can be gotten pretty cheap at an outlet out in the west burbs (I think 1.44/lb.)

Would one set of 45s help, or should I get as many as I'll be lifting with?

One set can do it. You'll just beat them to poo poo.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I have a pair each of 45's, 35's, and 25's and then just load up on regular 35's when I need more weight since they're smaller than the bumper plates. You might run out of bar space if you lift more than 450 though.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Friends, powerful Manflurry has upped his squat to 375 lbs for 6 reps. This was important to say.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Friends, powerful Manflurry has upped his squat to 375 lbs for 6 reps. This was important to say.

Nice. I'm still atrophying. I went for a walk that ended up being 13km today, so at least I'm not sitting around doing nothing.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Pesmerga posted:

Nice. I'm still atrophying. I went for a walk that ended up being 13km today, so at least I'm not sitting around doing nothing.

the only thing worse than not lifting is doing any amount of cardio at all, ever. It sends your mass into a freefall. You're going to be a tiny little baby child in no time.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

395x6 deadlift and thought about going for 7 but my hearing started to fade and it was white around the edge of my vision and I have work tomorrow. Figured I should save a possible concussion from collapsing but it killed my gains :negative:

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

SpeedyCow posted:

395x6 deadlift and thought about going for 7 but my hearing started to fade and it was white around the edge of my vision and I have work tomorrow. Figured I should save a possible concussion from collapsing but it killed my gains :negative:

A good lift, Cow

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Gym story:

There's this fat (~300 lbs) dude who I always see in the squat rack at the Y. His usual thing is half squats anywhere from 2-3 plates, and half deadlifts at a similar weight. He has this peculiar stance that puts his legs about 3.5' apart. So far I've resisted being a typical goon splerglord and informing him of any of this.

So get this, today I'm deadlifting 275 for reps standard grip and at the end my grip gives out. This guy comes over and tells me how I'm doing it all wrong. I should be looking at the ground. I should be folding like a hinge at the waist. I should always use mixed grip. I was all like uh-huh uh-huh then I banged out a set of 315 sumo.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
trying to squat on 3 hours sleep is just hosed I tell you

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Despite consistently being the fattest most out of shape guy in the gym, I take comfort in the fact that my squats aren't as pathetic as the bro who does those awful half squats.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Worked out yesterday despite being a little sick, and also my garage flooded so I had to bring up all the rubber floor tiles and try to get as much water out as possible.

Not sure if it caused it but fever spiked to 104f last night and I felt like I might die.

Working out while sick seems like it might be a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
whole lot of people paying more attention to those around them than is probably normal ITT

• Locked thread