Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Let carlos take care of the hawk. He's probably running to 1315, which puts him at prime pulse range(4), and those are great vs jumpers.

If you're going to shoot the hawk, shoot the golden boy instead. Its better to hits and might actually get a kill.

My spitballing from 1021 puts the pillager's current position at range 12. Its almost guaranteed to move 4 hexes for a +2 - this could put it at Long range, but not Short, so you're looking around 8's to hit it - if it hasn't broken LOS because Ace - and ten's if you lock it in and it jumps to Long.

If anything, the pillager should be your secondary or backup target. There's no reason not to throw 2 mediums somewhere and just eat the split-fire penalty. Running, its a net 0 heat.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Failing a 4+ to stand up might be improbable, but so was failing a 5+ to fall down in the first place.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

TheParadigm posted:

Let carlos take care of the hawk. He's probably running to 1315, which puts him at prime pulse range(4), and those are great vs jumpers.

That's my current plan. Should be at 7s to hit with my X-Pulse since he has such a ridiculous movement modifier.

Sadly, my M-Pulse would be at 9s and my SRMs at 11.

I think 2 X-Pulse and 1 M-Pulse should put a hurting on him, even if it overheats me a tiny bit.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Shouldn't you be able to fire 2 xpulse(28/34), run(30/34), and drop 2 medium pulses(38/34) and overheat to +4, which is no penalty?

The battlemaster going left can pulse the white hawk as well. We're just hitting the counter attack phase here.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

TheParadigm posted:

Shouldn't you be able to fire 2 xpulse(28/34), run(30/34), and drop 2 medium pulses(38/34) and overheat to +4, which is no penalty?

The battlemaster going left can pulse the white hawk as well. We're just hitting the counter attack phase here.

You're right. I had them at 6 heat in my head instead of 4.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Zaodai posted:

Failing a 4+ to stand up might be improbable, but so was failing a 5+ to fall down in the first place.

Ah, but the probability of failing both a 5+ roll AND a 4+ roll are just under 1%! So having failed one, the player is now 99%+ safe from the other!

What yes of course that's how probability works.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dolash posted:

Ah, but the probability of failing both a 5+ roll AND a 4+ roll are just under 1%! So having failed one, the player is now 99%+ safe from the other!

What yes of course that's how probability works.

Look understanding the Gambler's Fallacy is hard, okay? :colbert:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
My orders as they currently stand:

--

Movement

I activate my King Cobra's MASC, then turn and move into hex 1819. I turn upwards to face hex 1818 and move five hexes up, ending my movement in hex 1814.

Shooting

I initiate an Alpha Strike against Warhammer 'Golden Boy', firing my weapons in the order: Gauss Rifle, ER Medium Laser, Flamer, then both Streak SRM-6 Launchers. If Warhammer 'Golden Boy' has already been destroyed or is otherwise unavailable, my contingency is to target Marauder 'Guan Yu' with the same weaponry.

Melee

If Marauder 'Guan Yu' ends its movement within melee range I strike it with my Assault Mace.

--

I really hope that goddamn Warhammer bites it this turn.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Your secondary/contingent target should be Zhang Fei instead - he is NOT an ace and you have los from your position there. Also a +0 move mod, but smoke.

Guan yu is the green one, but he's an ace so there's no guarantee you'll be able to shoot him.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Three hexes of smoke blocks LOS. I can't target him.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Does it really? THAT would have been nice to know

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'm pretty sure smoke acts mostly the same as light woods without the MP reduction, so yeah. I can just about hit Golden Boy but anything beyond him in the smoky area is out of my targeting ability.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

I'm pretty sure smoke acts mostly the same as light woods without the MP reduction, so yeah.

Smoke acts identically to light woods, I've just been ignoring the movement penalty for smoke/fog/etc. after the Tharkad mission because they don't make much sense if the ground is clear.

TheParadigm posted:

Does it really? THAT would have been nice to know

From one of your recent PM'd questions:

quote:

Smoke, like woods, depends on whether it's 'light' or 'heavy'

I rarely use heavy woods because people seem to have trouble telling the difference. Doubly true for smoke.

I could've been more clear spelling out that "smoke == woods" but that was what I was getting at.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 22, 2015

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Smoke == Trees erryday.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it'd be cool if you could move "cautiously" through smoke as if it were light forest (extra MP), or move "recklessly" through smoke and take a PSR to avoid tripping or skidding on some minor thing. A bit like running and turning on concrete maybe.

...because battletech needs to be more complicated, of course.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I could've been more clear spelling out that "smoke == woods" but that was what I was getting at.

There is only one response to that...

SET THE SMOKE ON FIRE!

;)

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Smoke acts identically to light woods, I've just been ignoring the movement penalty for smoke/fog/etc. after the Tharkad mission because they don't make much sense if the ground is clear.

Hey, as a battletech noob, I appreciate any clarification.

Scintilla posted:

I'm pretty sure smoke acts mostly the same as light woods without the MP reduction, so yeah. I can just about hit Golden Boy but anything beyond him in the smoky area is out of my targeting ability.

From what was just clarified to me, los-blocking from smoke and woods only counts intervening hexes, with the target's hex providing just cover bonuses. Standing in 1814 has only 2 smoke hexes between you and the redstripe marauder, so that's a +3? With masc, you hit on 7's. Go wreck him!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Alright, I've changed my contingency to shoot at Zhang Fei instead.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Unrelated to the current battle, but I'd thought I'd share anyway, because this is glorious.

TWERK IT!

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Rorahusky posted:

Unrelated to the current battle, but I'd thought I'd share anyway, because this is glorious.

TWERK IT!

I had this going on in the background when I checked the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmi60Bd4jSs

and the urbie was twerking in time to the music. It was glorious.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Urbie needs to be firing tracers.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Just when I thought the Urbanmech had brought all the shame possible to BattleTech.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

TildeATH posted:

Just when I thought the Urbanmech had brought all the shame possible to BattleTech.

Wouldn't that make it a ...

Twerkie :grin:

I'll see myself out now.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

shalafi4 posted:

Wouldn't that make it a ...

Twerkie :grin:

The TwerkenMech has officially made PTNverse worse than the original BTverse. Just think about that. Think about how great PTN's alternate timeline was, that's how bad the Twerkie is.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It needs to be spinning the other way with the gun firing every rotation.

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Wolverine II

I submitted this for now, but I'm not sure if it's better to go for the white shadowhawk or pillager.

Movement:
I jump to 1210 facing 1211.

Firing:
Everything at the white shadowhawk!

Melee:
I kick the white shadowhawk!

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Someone can probably make a better version, but this is suitable for an avatar.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kirenski posted:

Wolverine II

I submitted this for now, but I'm not sure if it's better to go for the white shadowhawk or pillager.

Movement:
I jump to 1210 facing 1211.

Firing:
Everything at the white shadowhawk!

Melee:
I kick the white shadowhawk!

I'd shoot the Pillager if you can and keep the Shadowhawk as a contingency, but other than that, go for it!

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Archer Orders:

Movement Phase:
Advance 4 hexes to 0922.

Firing Phase:
Fire both LRM 20's at the Golden Boy Warhammer in 1713 using indirect rules. I believe TheParadigm is spotting for me.
Contingencies:
If Golden Boy is already dead or otherwise untargetable: fire both LRM 20's at the Red Stripe Marauder, Zhang Fei
If Both Golden Boy and the Zhang Fei are dead: Fire both LRM 20's at the Green Marauder, Guan Yu.

Melee Phase:
I will kick any enemy mechs that come in range. I know this is impossible but goons.

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

I'd shoot the Pillager if you can and keep the Shadowhawk as a contingency, but other than that, go for it!

Easy enough, shooting and kicking the pillager with contingencies for both shooting and kicking on the white shadowhawk.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

TildeATH posted:

The TwerkenMech has officially made PTNverse worse than the original BTverse.
PTN hasn't commented on it himself yet, which means it's still just PTNverse fanfic and isn't canon.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Baudin posted:

Contingencies:

Heads up, apparently I'm only allowed to indirectly spot one target at a time.

I'm unsure if I can just spot different targets to begin with depending on what's alive when it happens.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Here's my orders for the turn. I haven't set them in but this is pretty much my plan.

--
Movement:
Walk to 1812 face 1811
implants ON.
Spot Golden Boy for indirect fire

Shooting:
Twist left. If i can let the archer's spotted fire shoot first please do that.

Primary:
Redstripe Marauder(1612) with HLL+ERSmall(maybe, see below)+2LRM
Ersmall: Secondary target(confirming splitfire) at golden boy if its still alive post-LRMing, otherwise at that marauder ^

Backup shooting plans: HLL+ersmall+2lrm in order of preference at these jerks
Green marauder ace(formerly 1712)
Pillager(formerly 1311)
Shadowhawk(1210)

Physicals:
Punch golden boy with the laser arm that didn't fire. If golden boy is destroyed instead kick an enemy ace in melee range, or punch if unable to kick.
--

Scintilla: You may want to ask to fire after the archer, so you'll know how alive golden boy is. This maximizes our chances of killing or hurting 2 mechs in one turn and not overkilling one.

Baudin: About your contingencies. I can only spot one mech for you this turn. I can spot the redstripe instead if you want, but not both him and golden boy. Scintilla could maybe spot the other one instead if you like, but I think the smoother thing is for both of us to let you fire first and see what's alive before our contingent firing happens.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Baudin posted:

Archer Orders:

Movement Phase:
Advance 4 hexes to 0922.

Firing Phase:
Fire both LRM 20's at the Golden Boy Warhammer in 1713 using indirect rules. I believe TheParadigm is spotting for me.
Contingencies:
If Golden Boy is already dead or otherwise untargetable: fire both LRM 20's at the Red Stripe Marauder, Zhang Fei
If Both Golden Boy and the Zhang Fei are dead: Fire both LRM 20's at the Green Marauder, Guan Yu.

Melee Phase:
I will kick any enemy mechs that come in range. I know this is impossible but goons.

These orders won't be changed - I know the contingencies are meaningless but lets not clog up PTN's inbox any more than necessary. Here's looking to a bloody turn with many OPFOR mechs dead and carlos still standing!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Please trust me not to be an rear end in a top hat with indirect fire. We can't account for every contingency but I guarantee you'll fire at whatever your spotter picks out for you.

I'm a hair's breadth from just disallowing indirect fire after this mission. It's always a headache for all parties involved when it really doesn't have to be. If you're firing indirectly you're already sacrificing "optimal" fire for a lucky shot. Let me worry about the minutiae and just tell me what you're lobbing explosives at. :shobon:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Honestly indirect fire seems more trouble than it's worth right now. It seems the only way to do it right is to be directly equipped for it, with TAG and special munitions and all sorts of other stuff we don't have. Better to try for direct shots IMO, even if the numbers are low.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Scintilla posted:

Honestly indirect fire seems more trouble than it's worth right now. It seems the only way to do it right is to be directly equipped for it, with TAG and special munitions and all sorts of other stuff we don't have. Better to try for direct shots IMO, even if the numbers are low.

I honestly can't think of a time in TT or Megamek where indirect fire was a better option than the spotter just shooting the target.

The planets have to align just right for IF to be worth it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think the implants allowing for smoke ignoring is the only thing that makes it worthwhile now- The implant benefit extending to Baudin via indirect fire is like the most edge case of edge cases heh.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
House rule that the penalty for the spotter is less and add maybe a piloting roll for not falling on your rear end when not paying attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Devorum posted:

I honestly can't think of a time in TT or Megamek where indirect fire was a better option than the spotter just shooting the target.

The planets have to align just right for IF to be worth it.

I've used it a great deal in Megamek: Stick some battle armour atop a building in a city, drive your opponents mad with the constant pitter patter of missiles from nowhere.

• Locked thread