Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My Service Engine light came on. My car is a 1999 Nissan Altima and she has a bit over 240,000 miles on her. I have maybe 4 grand saved for a new car, and I see one I can totally afford. But....it's a Chevy Cobalt, 2008, and has about 100,000 miles on it. But it's so drat pretty and I can put down over half the cost of the car as a down payment. So the car must be poo poo. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yeah, they are

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My friend just watched The Force Awakens today and she said she was going to IM me after the movie so we could talk about it, and she hasn't IMed me yet. :saddowns:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Someone used up the last of the real sugar while I was asleep, so I have to put the fake Splenda crap in my coffee instead. No, I don't care that it's 'made from sugar', it doesn't taste the same! :coffee: :negative:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Choco1980 posted:

I was just thinking how a few months from now it'll be time to update my phone, and I'm honestly a little upset that I'll probably have to catch up to the last decade and pick a phone that uses a touch screen keypad instead of a physical/pull out one which annoys me to no end and I feel like such a dinosaur for it, but my current phone (the photon Q) was kinda crappy from the start and was the best keyboard phone on the market. :corsair:

Welp, this was prophetic. This morning my phone crapped itself and totally broke software wise. Taking it to the Sprint Store, they revealed that the shadier dealers I bought it from ripped me off years ago, and they can't actively replace it. Good news is my phone insurance means they can replace it with a newer model without adding to my costs...but i won't get the phone til monday or tuesday, so now I'm stuck with a lame rear end loaner flip phone over the holidays.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Choco1980 posted:

Welp, this was prophetic. This morning my phone crapped itself and totally broke software wise. Taking it to the Sprint Store, they revealed that the shadier dealers I bought it from ripped me off years ago, and they can't actively replace it. Good news is my phone insurance means they can replace it with a newer model without adding to my costs...but i won't get the phone til monday or tuesday, so now I'm stuck with a lame rear end loaner flip phone over the holidays.

$10 says they have the new phone in stock, they just give people the flip phone for a few days as a joke.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'd that happened to me the joke would be on them, it'd give me an excuse to use a :krad: flip phone for a week. Flip smartphone when, Apple or Samsung? :colbert: I've been waiting since flip phones started getting phased out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Had a sore throat this morning, so I twisted some things around at work so I literally didn't have to talk to anyone all day.

Still have a sore throat, now my voice is shot because it's all gunked up. :(

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I would stab a man to get a smartphone with a physical keyboard again :smith: My typing speed with the touchscreen still isn't nearly as fast as I was with my thumbs, and so much more finicky with the spelling.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

AlphaKretin posted:

Flip smartphone when, Apple or Samsung? :colbert: I've been waiting since flip phones started getting phased out.

Apple? Never because it's a terrible idea

Samsung of course has already done it because they try everything

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm flying home for like 3-4 days for the holidays and I'm worried about my cat. This isn't the longest period of time I've left her to her own devices and I did arrange for a friend to poke in a couple times to make sure she ain't dead... but my cat is the worst and doesn't trust anyone but me and she probably won't eat right while I'm gone. :negative:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yo realtalk gently caress wrapping gifts forever

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I have 10 gifts to wrap

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ive been at it for like 40 minutes and have gotten 5 done

i still have like 10 more to go

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

:smug: I don't have to wrap anything because I don't have any loved ones :smug:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

My gift wrapping skills seem to get worse every year. Everything that isn't a perfect rectangle is kind of wonky-looking :smith:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Inzombiac posted:

:smug: I don't have to wrap anything because I don't have any loved ones :smug:

:smug::respek::smug:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
My sister is doing it for me. Because I'm working Christmas rush in a supermarket. :suicide:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm happy my family accepts my terrible wrapping. I always go over the top with bad wrapping, like huge balls of paper with a tiny present inside, or the wrapping being made of 90% duct tape.

I'm thinking this year I make it even worse by just taping plastic bags together.

My current fwp is the busy holidays are getting in the way of seeing the girl I'm now dating.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

UPS charged me $100 in "import fees" for the privilege of accepting a three pound box of Christmas gifts from my wife. If I don't get a reply to my email in a few days I get to have fun arguing over the phone with them how bullshit this is.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I have a spare copy of Civ V sitting around because I bought the series collection but Civ V Complete is cheaper than the two expansion packs and I'm too honest to not warn that the base game isn't exactly great so I can't give it away.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Our microwave went out last week. We have a home warranty, so for $75 someone is supposed to come out and fix it. Instead he told us that it was not a fixable issue and that we'd need to get a new microwave.
That's okay, the home warranty company will replace it for us. That $75 covers repair or replacement when repair isn't possible.
They sent us an email asking for specs on our microwave, which we dutifully provided. It took them five days to call us with an offer. I went over the specs and saw that the model they were offering was missing features that we had. So they went back and found another model that meets our features (it's even slightly better due to how the features are bundled) and offered that one instead. We accepted. It will be another week before we get it.
We'll be two weeks without a microwave in the kitchen. I had to heat up left over vegetables on the stovetop like a savage. I had to thaw out frozen fish in the sink! Lunch has been sandwiches because we can't just throw some soup or whatever in the microwave; I refuse to cook soup from a can in a pot on principle.
We have a really nice microwave downstairs (stainless steel, 1250W), but I'm not going up and down the stairs just to heat something up.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'd like to do some job hunting as I don't celebrate Christmas but the software world apparently just shuts down for the last two weeks of the year.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had curry for breakfast and I feel it may make me farty at work tonight.

So I'm bringing more for lunch.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

AlphaKretin posted:

I have a spare copy of Civ V sitting around because I bought the series collection but Civ V Complete is cheaper than the two expansion packs and I'm too honest to not warn that the base game isn't exactly great so I can't give it away.

You could probably sell it somewhere.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Me and my girlfriend both come from families that really don't do anything unique on Christmas Eve, so today is a lazy day off for both of us. Lazy enough that she's completely crashed on the couch, its getting close to dinner time, and I'm hungry.

e: and looking at the hours, it looks like my idea of getting some Portillos is out of the question, since the one closest to me is closed now on account of it being C-Eve.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Dec 25, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

From the smell of things, my little sister is making mexican for Christmas dinner. :psyduck: What the gently caress, sis?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
My son's step-father's family is coming to his house tomorrow so my side of the family did our annual skype while he opens our stuff time tonight. I'm kinda bummed that at 8 he doesn't go out of his mind with joy at even the big things but instead just smiles and assures me he's excited and thanks us very much. :sigh:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Malachite_Dragon posted:

From the smell of things, my little sister is making mexican for Christmas dinner. :psyduck: What the gently caress, sis?

That was tradition for us growing up.
Extra spicy chicken enchiladas, sopapilla with honey and Mexican coffee.
We are all extremely white.

gently caress that was good.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

That was tradition for us growing up.
Extra spicy chicken enchiladas, sopapilla with honey and Mexican coffee.
We are all extremely white.

gently caress that was good.

And if she were making any of that, I wouldn't mind it in the least bit. But no, it's lovely terrible store-bought 'mexican spice' thrown into a pan full of beef and half-assed 'fried rice' (really normal rice with a can of Rotel emptied into.)

We are also extremely white. She's otherwise a good cook, but she really phoned it in this time. What the hell.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

My son's step-father's family is coming to his house tomorrow so my side of the family did our annual skype while he opens our stuff time tonight. I'm kinda bummed that at 8 he doesn't go out of his mind with joy at even the big things but instead just smiles and assures me he's excited and thanks us very much. :sigh:

It was probably 4 years ago, but my niece and I were at the store, and I saw some EasyBake mixtures that were on sale. Niece had gotten an EasyBake for her birthday, so I played dumb and asked her what was good, because the kids I babysit were getting an EasyBake for Xmas and I wanted to get them some mixtures. She, being all adult at 7, loudly said she hoped I wasn't buying them for HER (she'd heard this story before, it seems) because she, having dyslexia, remembers everything. So she said. But she picked out her favorites and I bought them and put them away.

Come Xmas time I gave her those same items that she, of course, had forgotten about. But I will never forget the screams when she tore open the box. She was so goddamn excited she -ran away- from her pile of presents, to pull out her EasyBake and started to set it up to make her goodies. Her parents had to call her BACK to open the rest of her presents. And it was clear she was just tearing through them asap to get back to making her EasyBake cookies.

Now I don't see her at the holidays much so I miss all the screams and excitement, but I did get to give an old friend's 5 year old his birthday present late. Kid loves owls. So I picked up some clearanced Claire's beanie baby owls from Halloween, huge ones, and some other owl thing. The kid flipped the gently caress out, even though he already had the very same owls. None of the "I already got this one!" This kid kept screaming he had more 'hoothoots' and spent the next hour or so making them wrestle and fight.

This year was the year of the giant stuffed Olaf. I sent one to my nephew, one to a friend's kid (the snowman is about as tall as this toddler), and a few to people at work's kids. I don't have any of my own but kids being excited about presents is really awesome and puts me in the holiday mood.

I think my best gift so far is my nephew asking me if I would be his godmother too. He was pretty shy about it but it was awesome too.

poo poo, FWP. It's too cold in the house for my ice cream to thaw enough to cut out of the container to eat.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

My Service Engine light came on. My car is a 1999 Nissan Altima and she has a bit over 240,000 miles on her. I have maybe 4 grand saved for a new car, and I see one I can totally afford. But....it's a Chevy Cobalt, 2008, and has about 100,000 miles on it. But it's so drat pretty and I can put down over half the cost of the car as a down payment. So the car must be poo poo. :(

Take your old car to an independent shop and have them read the code, that'll tell why the light came on. Could be something silly/cheap like a loose sensor or bad gas cap. A 7-year old Cobalt with 100k is going to need work as well, if not now then in the near future.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And if she were making any of that, I wouldn't mind it in the least bit. But no, it's lovely terrible store-bought 'mexican spice' thrown into a pan full of beef and half-assed 'fried rice' (really normal rice with a can of Rotel emptied into.)

We are also extremely white. She's otherwise a good cook, but she really phoned it in this time. What the hell.

I don't buy into the meme but you need to sever. That is inexcusable.
Failure Bachelor Chow is fine for the times you just need to put calories into your misery engine but Xmas, Festivus, Candle Nights should be respected with food made with some semblance of care.

Tonight my dinner will be greasy chicken strips from a local bar because I'm off work, want to get hosed up and put hot greasy meat in my body.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

I don't buy into the meme but you need to sever. That is inexcusable.
Failure Bachelor Chow is fine for the times you just need to put calories into your misery engine but Xmas, Festivus, Candle Nights should be respected with food made with some semblance of care.

Tonight my dinner will be greasy chicken strips from a local bar because I'm off work, want to get hosed up and put hot greasy meat in my body.

Sever (from alcohol)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

death .cab for qt posted:

Sever (from alcohol)

My life is an amazing tapestry of wealth and friendship. The alcohol is a universal lubricant that greases the wheels of me; a social juggernaut.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm sleeping on my parents' pull out couch and it's uncomfortable

I still haven't heard back from UPS

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I started making my wifes ikea desk that i got for her for christmas at midnight. Im gonna be a while.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I'm spending Christmas day at home by myself and it's amazing. I walked the dog, made summer rolls for lunch, had a nap. Now I kind of want more summer rolls for dinner but I can't really be bothered making them and I'm not sure if I have enough stuff leftover to make it worthwhile anyway :saddowns:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I have to do laundry to have clean towels to take a shower because the girlfriend is heading over and dammit it seems like that's wrong to be doing chores on christmas day.

Also, I still need to wrap 3 gifts and uuugggghhhhhh why do we make giving poo poo to people such a chore hhhnnnngggggggg......

I mean, yea I'm gonna bathe and wrap up poo poo but dammit if I feel like sitting on my rear end doing nothing but using my silver plated executive ball scratcher, I should be able to do so ON christmas day at least.

Merry Christmas fellow goons. 🎅🎄🎁

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Why does anybody wrap anything when gift bags exist!

Easy, attractive and they come with built-in handles.