Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

i liked the characters and their stories, also the things they said those were also good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

What's funny is that I feel the same way about the pacing of Star Wars '77. It seems like it takes place over only two days as opposed to weeks in Empire and Jedi.

I don't think anyone can really reasonably say how much time passes from leaving Tatooine to the destruction of the Death Star. I'm not even sure Wookiepeia knows.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think anyone can really reasonably say how much time passes from leaving Tatooine to the destruction of the Death Star. I'm not even sure Wookiepeia knows.

Same is true for Empire Strikes Back. How long did it take the Falcon to get from Hoth to Bespin? How long did Luke train with Yoda? Could be days. Could be weeks. Nobody knows.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
Rey is not loving Luke. Luke was a loving incompetent impatient nincompoop who does zero fighting outside of a x wing in the first film.

Rey would eat Luke up and poo poo him out for breakfast. Not that she doesn't have character flaws. But from the outset she is force aware and capable of battle. Luke gets loving knocked out by some loving sand men.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Luke was a hero who blew up the death star, buddy.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Egbert Souse posted:

What's funny is that I feel the same way about the pacing of Star Wars '77. It seems like it takes place over only two days as opposed to weeks in Empire and Jedi.

The travel from Tatoonie to the Death Star alone feels like it takes forever. Lot of loving establishing shots and events going on in that ship during that travel period in hyperspace.

Literally zero for this film.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The dude who heroically saved the princess and swung accross a space cavern with a grappling hook like Errol Flynn was def an incompetent idiot.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

CalmDownMate posted:

Rey is not loving Luke. Luke was a loving incompetent impatient nincompoop who does zero fighting outside of a x wing in the first film.

Rey would eat Luke up and poo poo him out for breakfast. Not that she doesn't have character flaws. But from the outset she is force aware and capable of battle. Luke gets loving knocked out by some loving sand men.

Calm Down Mate.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Amethyst posted:

Luke was a hero who blew up the death star, buddy.

Literally the only thing he did in the movie.

Oh great a grappling hook.

Luke didn't save the Princess. Han Solo, the wookie, and R2 saved the Princess.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CalmDownMate posted:

Rey is not loving Luke.
...yet. We'll see their love child in Episode 9.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

how did you guys feel about the movie?

seems pretty divided itt between terrible and horrible

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

CalmDownMate posted:

Literally the only thing he did in the movie.

Oh great a grappling hook.

Luke didn't save the Princess. Han Solo, the wookie, and R2 saved the Princess.

You're incredibly stupid

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I don't know how any one could watch a movie about a young farm kid overcoming adversity to save the galaxy and somehow come out of it thinking "what a loser that guy is"

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Amethyst posted:

I don't know how any one could watch a movie about a young farm kid overcoming adversity to save the galaxy and somehow come out of it thinking "what a loser that guy is"

on a rewatch there are a lot of things that make Luke unlikable. his acting skills were unpolished especially in the first movie and a lot of his dialog comes across as pretty whiny and awkward to a modern audience.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Chewie is Luke. Anyone that disagrees with me is an idiot, forever.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Amethyst posted:

To kid, Luke is a hero. To an adult, Luke is a lucky brat.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

Amethyst posted:

Luke is maligned by Yoda in the second film as being impatient always looking to the future and not being aware of what is currently going on around him. That's what drives me to say those things. Taking Star Wars by itself you know Luke may look cool, he's a hero. If you look at Star Wars in the context of The Empire Strikes Back Luke is quite obviously not that great of a fighter, has a lot of weaknesses, and had a lot of help and luck to get where he was and everything Yoda says about him rings absolutely 100% true. That's what Star Wars the original trilogy is about. Luke isn't some amazing prodigy with all these skills from the get so; he has to work to obtain the skills he does obtain.

Ray i'm not going to call her a Mary Sue. I like the character but I feel it's too vague - there's not a explanation of who she is or where she came from so instantly being able to beat a person who from the get go is demonstrated to be a very powerful force user seems pretty odd. And it makes him look a whole lot weaker and kind of defeats him as a character. When he does kill Han it isn't badassery it isn't cool it just looks like the last pathetic cry for help of a confused teenager. Which doesn't really fit in with the first scene and him killing a whole loving village in my mind.

I mean it wasn't until like the third movies that Jedi's could even block laser shots and rebound them back at their attackers and the kid was stopping laser shots in mid air. He was obviously very strong.

CalmDownMate fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 24, 2015

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game
Snoke was pretty "meh" when Starkiller Base is destroyed...was it purpose built to dispatch the majority of the Republic fleet and its capital planet before its inevitable destruction by The Resistance? A 2-shot planet/base so to speak (2 suns in its "origin" system).

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Luke "greatest jedi" Skywalker

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Smoking Crow posted:

Luke "greatest jedi" Skywalker

I mean that may even be true, none of the Jedi we saw set a high bar to clear exactly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Has anyone brought up Dark Helmet wrt Ren. Interesting parallels imho.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

euphronius posted:

This was the first time I've ever seen Adam driver on screen. I thought he was tremendously .... I don't know. I can't describe what his face does on screen. I was super impressed tho.

I thought Adam Drivers casting was weird... Probably because I see him as that guy from Girls every time he is on screen.

Everyone else that was new was an unknown to me, which was great.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

BunLengthHotDog posted:

Snoke was pretty "meh" when Starkiller Base is destroyed...was it purpose built to dispatch the majority of the Republic fleet and its capital planet before its inevitable destruction by The Resistance? A 2-shot planet/base so to speak (2 suns in its "origin" system).

The impression I got was that Snoke cared less about the First Order/Resistance conflict than he did about the Jedi/Ren/Rey and basically gave the go-ahead for whatever toy or plan his fanatics wanted to push through. Anything related to the Force seemed to take a higher priority to him.

I could be misremembering though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Boogaleeboo posted:

I mean that may even be true, none of the Jedi we saw set a high bar to clear exactly.

Luke "my favorite character" Skywalker

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My interpretation is that the first order is about getting Luke Skywalker. That's its goal. Star killer base was a interesting side activity of evil tho.

But as the movie shows all doomsday weapons are .... Doomed as long as Jedi exist. Got to get them all before you really try and take over the Galaxy.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I think either A. He doesn't really give a poo poo about The First Order and B. The Starkiller base was probably just step one of his master plan or whatever that will be revealed in IX.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

temple posted:

To kid, Luke is a hero. To an adult, Luke is a lucky brat.

Only if you're a particularly narcissistic adult.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
To a kid, Luke is a hero. To an adult, Luke is a kid.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I thought he was whiny when I was a kid, and I grew to like him more and more.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So apparently Disney goofed and (potentially) spoiled Rey's lineage in their Infinity 3.0 video game.

Take with many grains of salt -also I'm not going to spoiler tag it since it's still technically speculation

http://comicbook.com/2015/12/24/reys-identity-possibly-revealed-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens-d/

quote:

...Kylo Ren seems to shout at Rey to "Face me, cousin!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Luke is whiny, but that's kind of the point. He's literally a teenager in A New Hope and watching him grow up and mature over the course of the series is great.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
She if she's Lukes son who the gently caress did he gently caress?

The wookie?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CalmDownMate posted:

The wookie?

There was no mother. She takes after her grandfather. It was a difficult birth.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

CalmDownMate posted:

The wookie?

He created her with the force. She's lady-Jesus, immacutely conceived by Luke.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Seems like most people that say they don't like Rey are in two camps, one is the sexist idiots and the others are the ones that want to hate a popular thing .

Yeah. Everyone who has different opinions on things than me is a really bad person too. :colbert:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah. Everyone who has different opinions on things than me is a really bad person too. :colbert:

There are good reasons to dislike Rey, just not really by comparison to any of her counterparts.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think Rey will be a good character, once she's given a chance to develop, but for the purposes of The Force Awakens her actual character development kind of took a back seat to her role as a primary audience surrogate. It was a bit problematic for her, but I can see the reasoning behind it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
She was cool as gently caress actually.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Apparently (according to the rest of the Internet) Kylo is saying "Curses!" and not "Cousin!" in that clip, so Rey's lineage is not confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

hmm yeah the division between bad and very bad continues

• Locked thread