Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, I've seen it 3 times and no one laughed at him at any of my showings either. I mean of course people laughed at the Stormtroopers running away from him because that's funny, but no one laughed at Ren himself, and I saw 3 different sold out showings.

Quit trying to prove your points, MisterBibs. They're so obviously wrong. Everyone is telling you they're wrong.

I'm not, and I've noticed the people telling him that he's wrong are some of the most infamously dumb people on these forums.. just food for thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Surlaw posted:

I definitely laughed at Ren's control room tantrum and I wasn't the only one. It's a funny scene and he's a fun character.

It's more so funny because of the other dude's reaction; he looks like he's going to poo poo his pants.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

net cafe scandal posted:

I'm not, and I've noticed the people telling him that he's wrong are some of the most infamously dumb people on these forums.. just food for thought.

They laughed several times at my showings. Finn talking about Rey having a boyfriend and the time he wrecked the consoles and they ran away were the big ones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Surlaw posted:

I definitely laughed at Ren's control room tantrum and I wasn't the only one. It's a funny scene and he's a fun character.

The two troopers just nope-ing on out of there is humorous. But an unstable man hacking things to bits with an energy blade is not

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

Nice comeback, bruh.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

teagone posted:

Nice comeback, bruh.

I guess we're just dumb, friend teagone

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

jivjov posted:

But at least infamous.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Phylodox posted:

But at least infamous.

I'm an old hat at that from the Nintendo threads. Hopefully I will become as well known from my Kurosawa/Ghibli review thread though...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm okay with being infamously dumb if it means I understood and appreciated the point of the new Star Wars movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

jivjov posted:

Shame. And here I thought I could put coherent thoughts together to help quell another goon's stupidity. I guess I do have the rap sheet to prove I am dumb. Net Cafe's rap sheet looks worse than mine though, so...

Phylodox posted:

But at least infamous.

:unsmith: I would like to be remembered as that one goon who endlessly defended Avatar and is a James Cameron fanboy. I wouldn't mind that, because James Cameron :allears:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CalmDownMate posted:

They laughed several times at my showings. Finn talking about Rey having a boyfriend and the time he wrecked the consoles and they ran away were the big ones.

There were a good number of chuckles from my showing, their biggest laughs were BB-8's thumbs up and the Nopetroopers

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah, I did not mean to imply that nobody laughed at all during my screenings. Just not at Ren.

The thumbs up has been a huge hit, as has the resistance medic giving Chewie some much needed validation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

There were a good number of chuckles from my showing, their biggest laughs were BB-8's thumbs up and the Nopetroopers

Yeah, those two bits also got the biggest laughs at both my showings, especially the BB-8 thumbs up. And also the line "THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS!" lmao.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

teagone posted:

Yeah, those two bits also got the biggest laughs at both my showings, especially the BB-8 thumbs up. And also the line "THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS!" lmao.

"Oh YOU'RE Cold?!" killed in my theater. The movie is pretty goddamn funny.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Neurolimal posted:

For me, the thumbs up was secondary to the nice little bit of business of BB-8 sitting there glancing nervously back and forth between Finn and Rey while trying to decide if he should tell them the location of the Resistance base. It's weird how expressive they made a salad bowl sitting on top of a soccer ball.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

"Oh YOU'RE Cold?!" killed in my theater. The movie is pretty goddamn funny.

Agreed. That whole exchange was really good.

Phylodox posted:

For me, the thumbs up was secondary to the nice little bit of business of BB-8 sitting there glancing nervously back and forth between Finn and Rey while trying to decide if he should tell them the location of the Resistance base. It's weird how expressive they made a salad bowl sitting on top of a soccer ball.

Yeah, that part was great haha. Can't wait to see it again tomorrow morning. Taking my dad to see it; going to be his first screening. :3:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jivjov posted:

Oh yeah, I did not mean to imply that nobody laughed at all during my screenings. Just not at Ren.

The thumbs up has been a huge hit, as has the resistance medic giving Chewie some much needed validation.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that either. I thought that was obvious. The movie was hilarious, much moreso than even the OT in my opinion. But it's just that Ren's outbursts were not.

The "Yes, I'm with the Resistance. I am with the Resistance!" "I've never seen anyone from the Resistance before!" "Well this is what we look like." exchange got a big laugh at every screening I went to, as did other gags that have already been mentioned.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Those lines have the potential to be really bad, but Boyega just kills it. He's insanely likeable.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Poe's first lines got some laughs at my showing. It was a nice way to show right away the dialogue in this Star Wars was going to be a little different from in the past. I guess they had some comedy lines between Anakin and Obi-Wan in the very beginning of Episode III but even those weren't delivered quite as snappily.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 24, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I normally don't see movies in the theatre unless I think they'll benefit from being seen on a large screen. I save small, character-driven pieces for Netflix. And I haven't seen a movie in theatre twice since Return of the King, when my friends dragged me a second time. But I think The Force Awakens was the first time I've felt that a regular movie screen wasn't big enough, and I might have to see it again in IMAX. The sheer scope of some of those long shots must be just staggering on a screen that size.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

jivjov posted:

The two troopers just nope-ing on out of there is humorous. But an unstable man hacking things to bits with an energy blade is not
Sure it is. I expected Ren to carry himself more like Vader, and having him throw a tantrum was a funny reversal of expectations. Keeping it up until he exhausted himself and then said "anything else?" was funny too. And:

teagone posted:

It's more so funny because of the other dude's reaction; he looks like he's going to poo poo his pants.
It's just a great scene overall.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Quit trying to prove your points, MisterBibs. They're so obviously wrong. Everyone is telling you they're wrong.

These people are actually trying to argue that it's really about Ethics in Sithism Kylo Ren is threatening.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

punchymcpunch posted:

Darth Vader is to Megatron as Kylo Ren is to Starscream, discuss.

Kylo Ren isn't Darth Vader's estranged wife.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MisterBibs posted:

These people are actually trying to argue that it's really about Ethics in Sithism Kylo Ren is threatening.
Which he totally is, which you don't seem to be able to grasp.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Which he totally is, which you don't seem to be able to grasp.

Yes, because that's a non-starter of a premise, unsupported by the movie, akin to fanfiction or "Those two characters are secretly loving". Since this is just a constant cycle of people repeating his comedic moments and attempting to claim they are threatening moments, I won't cause the cycle to repeat again.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

gently caress youuuuuuu. Shutuuuuuup.

[edit]

MisterBibs posted:

Since this is just a constant cycle of people repeating his comedic moments and attempting to claim they are threatening moments, I won't cause the cycle to repeat again.

So don't bring up your bad opinions anymore and no one will make fun of you.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 24, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

He stopped a blaster shot in mid-air, and at that point i was scared he was going to force choke me through the movie screen because he is the greatest force user there has ever been

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

If you're going to link to the dude's twitter profile picture, at least link to his twitter profile

e: vvv yup, we've been over this. Dangerous and threatening aren't words to describe the character in an honest viewing of the movie.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 24, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MisterBibs posted:

Yes, because that's a non-starter of a premise, unsupported by the movie, akin to fanfiction or "Those two characters are secretly loving". Since this is just a constant cycle of people repeating his comedic moments and attempting to claim they are threatening moments, I won't cause the cycle to repeat again.
So.....you're saying that the villain of the movie, AKA a dangerous, conflicted lunatic with a lethal weapon, being threatening is fanfiction and not what actually happens in the movie?

Like what the gently caress are you even going on about anymore? I can't even make sense of your weird rear end logic.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

He stopped a blaster shot in mid-air, and at that point i was scared he was going to force choke me through the movie screen because he is the greatest force user there has ever been

He hasn't reached level 10 yet though. Once he gets there, he can slot the Force Lightning™ spell into his skill bar.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I saw Star Wars, I agree with my friend's facebook post, "Star wars was good!! It taught me that fascists are really just dweebs!!! I only wish they replaced most of the characters with a *🌸beautiful woman🌸* "

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Like what the gently caress are you even going on about anymore? I can't even make sense of your weird rear end logic.

He is either hardcore trolling or really wishes The Force Awakens was some sort of anime.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Dangerous and threatening aren't words to describe the character in an honest viewing of the movie.

Do you hate your parents?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teagone posted:

Do you hate your parents?
Maybe he's actually Kylo Ren and has to laugh at himself to be able to go on living despite his psychopathic tenancies.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
what the gently caress happened to this thread.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Phylodox posted:

He is either hardcore trolling or really wishes The Force Awakens was some sort of anime.

It's already anime

Star War is an anime

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Pictured: a person not feeling threatened, apparently.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I saw this last night, and the biggest laugh in the theatre was when Kylo Ren took off his mask and looked like a total dweeb. And I think it's plausible to buy that Ren is trying to be like Vader, but bigger and better (and feeling totally inadequate about it) — that fits next to the starkiller base being like the death star but bigger and with more teeth. It's also believable that Abrams would move this way given that when he made Star Trek 09 the villain was also someone obsessed with the canon of the original series.

Speaking of characters and canon, has anyone else in this 4000 post thread remarked yet that Rey is a character who was abandoned ~15-20 years ago and has sustained herself by salvaging Star Wars brand memorabilia and fantasizing about the events of the original trilogy? The Force Awakens seems to have a story running through it about canon and fandom, but I'm not sure how complete it is.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MisterBibs' posts make perfect sense if you assume he has decided "threatening" does not mean what it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I think noted shitposter MisterBibs runs this account.
https://twitter.com/KyloR3n?s=09

• Locked thread