Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Darth Vader isn't cool. His voice modulator is cool. The man himself is a dork, and so is his grandson. Fortunately "cool" and "threatening" are not synonyms.

Darth Vader, as he appears in A New Hope, is cool as poo poo. And not just the voice but the costume and all the rad stuff he says. I'm a little surprised this is controversial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Darth Vader, as he appears in A New Hope, is cool as poo poo. And not just the voice but the costume and all the rad stuff he says. I'm a little surprised this is controversial.

Of course, but Star Wars isn't just one movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

That is it. When ANH came out this was the last you saw of Darth Vader.

Minor quibble, but we do see him pull out of the spin and fly off into space.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Of course, but Star Wars isn't just one movie.

He's cool in all the movies he appears in, with the possible exception of the thirty second of RotS he's there for. Anakin's a dork and a half, naturally. But there's a world of difference in seeing the man beneath the mask after several movies and after thirty minutes. By the time we meet Anakin Skywalker we've had years to appreciate Vader.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 24, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Minor quibble, but we do see him pull out of the spin and fly off into space.

Fair point, I did forget that! It doesn't change the point much though. (If anything it's even sillier if you think about it, he's spinning in space long enough for Luke to blow the Death Star and the rebel survivors to fly away.)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

I don't think anyone is saying Ren didn't get embarrassed, because yeah, he totally got dunked on; he got posterized hard at the end of the film. But that's not a detriment to his role as a terrifying/threatening villain.

The way I see it, being clowned on by two newbies absolutely undercuts his role, especially since the movie has been already doing it over and over and over again throughout the course of the movie. If there's no lightsaber hissy fits, whining to Vader's helmet, or being Force-punked by a neophyte, you can have your Threatening Bad Guy lose out in the end. Both? Sorry, that makes you a Not Threatening Bad Guy.

ImpAtom posted:

That is it. When ANH came out this was the last you saw of Darth Vader.

So you haven't watched the end of the movie, then? Vader leaves under his own power from the movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Darth Vader is obviously supremely cool. So is Kylo Ren but for different reasons. Ren is a spaz but this doesn't mean he is not a legitimate threat to the good guys.

MisterBibs posted:

Vader leaves under his own power from the movie.

Goddrat. What a total badass.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

The way I see it, being clowned on by two newbies absolutely undercuts his role, especially since the movie has been already doing it over and over and over again throughout the course of the movie. If there's no lightsaber hissy fits, whining to Vader's helmet, or being Force-punked by a neophyte, you can have your Threatening Bad Guy lose out in the end. Both? Sorry, that makes you a Not Threatening Bad Guy.

So to you a villain is bad if they lose at any point unless the person they lose to is more experienced than they are. So again, Darth Vader is a bad villain because he gets effortlessly punked by a completely regular dude in a garbage freighter who gets in a lucky shot.

MisterBibs posted:

So you haven't watched the end of the movie, then? Vader leaves under his own power from the movie.

ImpAtom posted:

Fair point, I did forget that! It doesn't change the point much though. (If anything it's even sillier if you think about it, he's spinning in space long enough for Luke to blow the Death Star and the rebel survivors to fly away.)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ren of course needed to do the equivalent of calling his evil foster dad to pick him up from the mall, since he didn't bring his own ride to the deserted forest he was fighting in.

What a total fuckin wuss.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ding ding ding.

The First Order are not good villains.
The entire political arrangement makes very little sense despite being an important part of the film. Delusional left-fascists fighting the aristocratic old guard of a complacent liberal democracy -- which, in the brief seconds that it appears in the film, are shown through imagery to be an actual restoration of the Old Republic, with the structural flaws that implies. Who are the good guys here, really? What are they fighting for?

At least we understand why Luke ran away from this mess.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

So again, Darth Vader is a bad villain because he gets effortlessly punked by a completely regular dude in a garbage freighter who gets in a lucky shot.

No, Darth Vader is a good villain because a story-mandated deus ex machina had to come down to stop him, after he spent the last ~10 minutes cutting down everyone in the trench, getting closer and closer to Our Hero as he goes.

Yeah, it has to happen because otherwise the Bad Guys win, but at no point does Kylo ever seem like he might actually kill either of these newbies. That's what makes Vader a better bad guy than Kylo, in my mind. There's no "Without the story pressure, I can see this Bad Guy winning" from Kylo.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 24, 2015

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MisterBibs posted:

That's what makes Vader a better bad guy than Kylo

This is literally the entire point of the character.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

You are misunderstanding his role in the movie. He is not a seductive figure of power, like Vader. He's discomforting. I can appreciate you might have preferred the former, but that's his role and it's simply a different way to be threatening.

MisterBibs posted:

No, Darth Vader is a good villain because a story-mandated deus ex machina had to come down to stop him, after he spent the last ~10 minutes cutting down everyone in the trench, getting closer and closer to Our Hero as he goes.

Yeah, it has to happen because otherwise the Bad Guys win, but at no point does Kylo ever seem like he might actually kill either of these newbies. That's what makes Vader a better bad guy than Kylo.

The thing I like best about this is that Kylo Ren kills the character who, in a previous movie, is apparently so powerful that you're describing his actions as an act of god. Of course, he does so in a way that's disturbing, not triumphant. Again, threatening in a different way.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is literally the entire point of the character.

I don't know why people don't just ignore him or give him ridiculous av+red text as is tradition in these, the serious forums

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, it has to happen because otherwise the Bad Guys win, but at no point does Kylo ever seem like he might actually kill either of these newbies. That's what makes Vader a better bad guy than Kylo, in my mind. There's no "Without the story pressure, I can see this Bad Guy winning" from Kylo.

.How is Kylo Ren having a plasma bolt in his gut not a plot-mandated weakness that allows the heroes to win? He is literally shown onscreen as being able to defeat both of them when he isn't injured.

Mary674
Jan 30, 2011
Ren's shortcomings are only caused by his wavering faith in the dark side (not to count being severely wounded and distracted). When he fully embraces it, he is seen doing incredible feats. I don't think he was ever meant as a joke. He's meant to be a developing threat. It's called character development done right, something we don't see often in villains. Plus, no character ever mocks him (and no one at my teather ever laughed at him), all we see from them is fear. To say he isn't threatening is very wrong. When he actually fully sets his mind to something, he accomplishes it. He would have perfectly been able to kill Finn if he wasn't after the lightsaber (he discards Finn like he is of no interest, instead turning to get the weapon) and he would have bested Rey too if he wasn't intent on capturing her.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ImpAtom posted:

Well, Spinning is a good trick.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ren.
Rey.
Hey, huh.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TG-Chrono posted:

I don't know why people don't just ignore him or give him ridiculous av+red text as is tradition in these, the serious forums

It's two days before Christmas. Money's tight. Give it till Saturday, once everyone cashes those checks from their grandparents/aunts and uncles there'll be red text flying all around this thread.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

.How is Kylo Ren having a plasma bolt in his gut not a plot-mandated weakness that allows the heroes to win? He is literally shown onscreen as being able to defeat both of them when he isn't injured.

Did I miss a fight scene where what you spoiled is hinted at, much less explained? Dude was pounding on that wound for Dark Side mojo it could possibly give him, and he was still clowned in combat.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This conversation is going no where.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Did I miss a fight scene where what you spoiled is hinted at, much less explained? Dude was pounding on that wound for Dark Side mojo it could possibly give him, and he was still clowned in combat.

:psyduck:

Yeah, I'm dropping it here. I can't even respond to something that dumb.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I'm dropping it here. I can't even respond to something that dumb.

That happens when you say something like "The film shows this guy can defeat two newbies at something", when it doesn't.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He freezes Rey when he's had enough of her shooting at him then just says gently caress it and knocks her unconscious, bringing her limp body aboard his shuttle.

Of course this is before she unlocks her true potential and combines her previously shown fighting prowess with unhinged force benefits. But even then Kylo Ren was psychologically and physically injured.

But nah, he's a loving pussy compared to Marvel movie villains (lol).

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I've never really seen passionate arguments about a Star Wars movie's plot unfold in real time. I feel like I'm on Usenet in 1983~~

Mary674
Jan 30, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

That happens when you say something like "The film shows this guy can defeat two newbies at something", when it doesn't.

Except it totally does... He does defeat Finn and he is shown overpowering Rey in the forest of Takodana and again when he throws her using the force. I don't see how it's a stretch he could have won that fight if he were at full strength and fully commited to the task (he is poised to kill her but then offers to train her).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That Bowcaster was shown to be a goddamn murder machine. It was talked up the entire movie.

Kylo was shown to be hurting. He was embracing the pain because he's a dark side crazy. But was clearly injured and not 100%.

Finn he didn't care about. Rey he didn't want to kill at least immediately as shown by the fact that he invited her to join him, as he knows something about her from the Jedi temple. Also if he would have just overpowered her at the cliff rather than reminding her to focus on the force when he made said offer she was a goner.

Rey is also a really really good fighter and was essentially using the Lightsaber as she would be using her staff as a fighting style.

Luke had no formal fight training. While Rey has been defending herself and fighting for years, now she just has a Lightsaber.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MisterBibs posted:

Except it does. You're just bad at watching movies.

Mary674
Jan 30, 2011

Dexo posted:

That Bowcaster was shown to be a goddamn murder machine. It was talked up the entire movie.

Kylo was shown to be hurting. He was embracing the pain because he's a dark side crazy. But was clearly injured and not 100%.

I agree. He was clearly injured. The only blood shown in the movie was at that moment, clearly illustrating he was hurting.

Dexo posted:

Finn he didn't care about. Rey he didn't want to kill at least immediately as shown by the fact that he invited her to join him, as he knows something about her from the Jedi temple. Also if he would have just overpowered her at the cliff rather than reminding her to focus on the force when he made said offer she was a goner.

Also agreed. He chose not to kill her. When she realised that, she even took a moment and closed her eyes right in the middle of it with him looking on.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The trouble is that people are talking 'threatening' as if actual lives are what are at stake. In a movie where billions canonically die, in a throwaway scene.

The actual question is whether the villains are cool.

These stories are about philosophies in conflict, and Vader is - crucially - never proven wrong. When he gets shot in A New Hope, it's because he trusted his moronic subordinates. So he retains his dignity - that blaxploitation chic and no-fucks attitude.

Kylo is also 'cool', but of a different kind. With Driver's weird chin, impossibly fluffy hair, photogenic scar, and slick outfit, he is the perfect pop image of a 1970s anime character.

That's what he becomes when he throws away the mask and robe that he used to hide himself. This whole stupid debate misses the character's arc, where he goes from (fake) badass to obvious loser to misunderstood monster, doomed to loneliness because he's too pure for this world. Edward Scissorhands.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 24, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
holy poo poo just stop taking the bait

Mary674
Jan 30, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This whole stupid debate misses the character's arc, where he goes from (fake) badass to obvious loser to misunderstood monster, doomed to loneliness because he's too pure for this world. Edward Scissorhands.

That's unfortunately not how Isaw his story arc. I didn't percieve a loser, I thought his story arc was supposed to show his struggle with acceptng the dark side and to presage his eventual growth in the coming movies as his training is completed. As I stated, I think his "weak" moments are excusable by his struggle and other factors and I still saw a strong villain and I don't understand some of the complaints. :)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
MisterBibs is just changing words around to mean whatever he wants them to mean at this point because he can't let go of a dumb wrong opinion he's been droning about for six days straight. "Coma" becomes "flesh wound." "Literally wins against" becomes "clowned." In fact he's going to quote this very post when he sees it to say that I'm only proving him right when I bring up the things that he's objectively wrong about.

It's going nowhere. I'd suggest letting it die but somehow I don't think that's going to happen either.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Except it does. You're just bad at watching movies.

I'm not the one being dishonest about the movie we're discussing. I get it, TFA having a pathetic non-threatening bad guy is one of the ways TFA is different than ANH, requiring the invention of "Kylo is ~so threatening, fer shure you guys~" reading so it fully mimics ANH to suit you, but it's not supported in the movie we got. Great movie, bad guy about as good at creating tension as that "I'll get you next time, Gadget!" dude whose name I'm blanking on.

Say Kylo is threatening? go to Space Wizard Jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200 portions from the CGI dude nobody has complained about because it's not the prequels anymore.

E: vvv I already made the comparison between "Kylo is threatening" and "Actually It's About Ethics" stuff. You laugh at those who say it's about ethics, you laugh at those who say Kylo is threatening.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 24, 2015

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
let's all argue with the ugly disgusting goonlord who has 12k+ tweets about gamergate and refuses to acknowledge anything anyone says, i'm sure he will understand soon

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs didn't grow up with The Force Awakens, so he obviously doesn't understand it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not the one being dishonest about the movie we're discussing. I get it, TFA having a pathetic non-threatening bad guy is one of the ways TFA is different than ANH, requiring the invention of "Kylo is ~so threatening, fer shure you guys~" reading so it fully mimics ANH to suit you, but it's not supported in the movie we got. Great movie, bad guy about as good at creating tension as that "I'll get you next time, Gadget!" dude whose name I'm blanking on.

Say Kylo is threatening? go to Space Wizard Jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200 portions from the CGI dude nobody has complained about because it's not the prequels anymore.

Good lord, lmao. I'm done. Everyone else done? This guy can go gently caress off.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I could totally take that Kylo pussy in a fight :smugbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They could have completely removed the character of Dameron from the film and it wouldn't have affected the story one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Davros1 posted:

They could have completely removed the character of Dameron from the film and it wouldn't have affected the story one bit.

Glad they didn't though, Poe owned

• Locked thread