Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

I'm still torn on this creator thingy. On one hand, I'd love to make some sort of small, dainty Elf because the idea of something like a Keebler-Elf blasting guys apart with huge space ship guns makes me grin like an idiot. On the other hand, gently caress erasing my save, so I'm kind of hoping they allow multiple (or at least one additional) save slots.
Wait, have they said that the one dumb character you create first is your permanent face in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So I got this last sale, and bounced off it hard because I couldn't really figure out what would be fun to do. I get how to fly the ship, and how to dock and trade and things, but I'm not really sure of the best way to earn enough money to get a ship/equipment capable of doing combat missions, which is what I'm primarily interested in. Is there a good newbies guide somewhere which has suggestions on how best to get started?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

How do you suss out profitsssssss and favorable trade routes using in game resources? I'm looking move on from missions and i found a ca 1 year old tutorial that used the http://elitetradingtool.co.uk/, but it doesn't have any data for my region of space apparently plus it feels kinda cheaty.

As you fly to systems, you'll get some information about their prices and stocks as well as their imports exports. On the commodities page in the top right of the list, you'll notice that average price is a drop down, and you can change it to a nearby system that you have market information on. That'll give you some information, and the normal listings gain 'imported from' and 'exported to' over time. I believe these are actually based off active trading, so they may not be entirely accurate for the area, just the trades that people are doing.

You can also buy the market information off the starmap, and that'll also allow you to do a color-coded bunch of lines to indicate export and import by the motion of the lines.

This all blows goats, however, so we use the tools that people have built that crowdsource the data. There's a decent github project for producing a rares burndown, but it takes a while to run because it bruteforces optimal routes.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

FronzelNeekburm posted:

For what it's worth, I'm not completely sold on their annual $60 update fee, depending on how much they actually add each season. I'm hoping next season is finally the big revamp of missions and events that undeniably pushes the game from "make your own fun" to "just plain fun for everyone." The same goes for pricey skins and bobbleheads, although at least with the new ones, they finally seem to have challenged their artists to do more than paint bucket fill red/blue/purple/yellow/gray/other gray.

That doesn't mean the Star Citizen fanatics aren't :rolleye:, but there's a little more to it than, "All complaints are a conspiracy."

See, right now, after having dicked around on a couple of planets, I'm fairly underwhelmed with what Horizons added, though that may be because I have always been comically poo poo at driving games. If I didn't have it for free via premium beta and had paid full whack it would not have been worth it for what there is so far.

The quality of life additions in 1.5, plus the new ships, are pretty good, and I'd suggest any current players who don't feel a burning need to visit lifeless planets stick with it for a while and see what the next 2.x releases offer.

Assuming Horizons goes on sale some time next year, and gets the same £10 treatment toward the end of the season, then you're paying a lot less per year if you don't mind being a bit out of date - just pay full price when they add something you must have *now*.

And unlike something with a subscription, you can still play, and more importantly, still earn as good money (actually much better) with what is in the base game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Wait, have they said that the one dumb character you create first is your permanent face in the game?

In my imagination, my main character is one lanky motherfucker, looking slightly gormless. Not a space elf. Theoretically, I could probably change him into something hilarious, but I don't want to, that would be like erasing his history and at that point I could just erase my entire save, anyway.

So, as long as we don't get a second save slot, I'll just overwork my main character to be less boring and that's it. No experiments, no fun allowed.

Edit:

I forgot I didn't answer your question. No, Frontier hasn't said anything besides "it's coming".

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

How do you suss out profitsssssss and favorable trade routes using in game resources? I'm looking move on from missions and i found a ca 1 year old tutorial that used the http://elitetradingtool.co.uk/, but it doesn't have any data for my region of space apparently plus it feels kinda cheaty.

The galaxy map has a lot of filters showing trade flows and stuff. And if you're docked at a station, you can look up where stuff is going to and coming from. Hell, the system map gives you similar info, just less detailed. Travel a lot, have a pen and paper ready and you can slowly build your own trade empire.

If you're lazy and don't want to write down stuff, you can go to Inara, their data is a lot more up to date, thanks to the many players using the drat thing. Inara is basically easy-mode.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Shipon posted:

Hit the Far Rim at 65k from Sol. Pretty much can't route past the spiderweb at this point.

Welcome to the 65k club my friend.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A Tartan Tory posted:

Welcome to the 65k club my friend.

It would be even better if the game could display this achievement correctly, but alas according to :frontear: even I am part of the 65k club. Or more precisely, the 68k club. :shepface:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Libluini posted:

It would be even better if the game could display this achievement correctly, but alas according to :frontear: even I am part of the 65k club. Or more precisely, the 68k club. :shepface:

Eh there are cheevos in this game?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

Eh there are cheevos in this game?

what the hell is a "cheevo"

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Achievements. Chievements. Cheevos. Cheetos.

I never noticed any place where they are displayed? Steam certainly doesn't have them and I don't think I noticed anything showing up in-game?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Xtanstic posted:

I never noticed any place where they are displayed? Steam certainly doesn't have them and I don't think I noticed anything showing up in-game?

There none, except what you can imagine.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

I wasn't talking about loving Steam-achievements or whatever, I was talking about personal achievements. Or to put it even more bluntly, do you get a nice little icon blinking in your eye sight after you climbed a mountain in real life? I don't think so. Likewise there are no achievements in Elite, but you can still achieve things. The game even records data for you in your right menu. Your number of jumps for example or how far you got from your starting point. That display is bugged though and (at least in my case) displays hilariously wrong numbers.

According to what the game shows me, my average jump range is higher than any ship in the game and apparently I once travelled to the other side of the galaxy without noticing. :shepface:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Libluini posted:

I wasn't talking about loving Steam-achievements or whatever, I was talking about personal achievements. Or to put it even more bluntly, do you get a nice little icon blinking in your eye sight after you climbed a mountain in real life? I don't think so. Likewise there are no achievements in Elite, but you can still achieve things. The game even records data for you in your right menu. Your number of jumps for example or how far you got from your starting point. That display is bugged though and (at least in my case) displays hilariously wrong numbers.

According to what the game shows me, my average jump range is higher than any ship in the game and apparently I once travelled to the other side of the galaxy without noticing. :shepface:

Wow what crawled up your rear end? You bitched about Frontier not displaying it correctly, so I asked where I could see it be displayed. I am capable of make believe fun yes thank you I don't need a toast notification popping up when I get 50 headshots.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

So I got this last sale, and bounced off it hard because I couldn't really figure out what would be fun to do. I get how to fly the ship, and how to dock and trade and things, but I'm not really sure of the best way to earn enough money to get a ship/equipment capable of doing combat missions, which is what I'm primarily interested in. Is there a good newbies guide somewhere which has suggestions on how best to get started?

There's a loose progression post in the PGS thread on the first page. The first million or so credits is a complete slog but after that you should be able to get the hang of things. I might be on later tonight and you can claim whatever bounty I have, and if I don't have one, I'll drop a palladium cloud on you, and that'll get you into an eagle, which is the first combat ship you'll be able to afford. CMDR name is the same as forum name.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

gently caress the rank grind, god drat. After a year of not being able to get any rank up missions whatsoever, I finally find a way to cheese it with the 17 Draconis stuff, and even then it's just mind-numbing relogging to collect missions. Over and over. That raise the bar by maybe 1% if you're lucky. It's loving terrible.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Gonkish posted:

gently caress the rank grind, god drat. After a year of not being able to get any rank up missions whatsoever, I finally find a way to cheese it with the 17 Draconis stuff, and even then it's just mind-numbing relogging to collect missions. Over and over. That raise the bar by maybe 1% if you're lucky. It's loving terrible.

It's terrible but it's fast. Imagine the poor people who don't know about mission scumming trying to grind rank by the board ticks. :suicide:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xtanstic posted:

Wow what crawled up your rear end? You bitched about Frontier not displaying it correctly, so I asked where I could see it be displayed. I am capable of make believe fun yes thank you I don't need a toast notification popping up when I get 50 headshots.

Sorry, I was just so completely surprised. It never crossed my mind to think about achievements in Elite in terms of Steam-achievements. And you using a weird fake word made it worse, since I understood you even less.

But welp, at least you now know where to look. Enjoy Elites broken achievement display!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Libluini posted:

Sorry, I was just so completely surprised. It never crossed my mind to think about achievements in Elite in terms of Steam-achievements. And you using a weird fake word made it worse, since I understood you even less.

But welp, at least you now know where to look. Enjoy Elites broken achievement display!

Ah no harm done. It's weird that when people hear 'achievement', people associate it to a dumb checkbox thing rather than 'a cool accomplishment'. I learned about an interesting, if defective, info panel at least.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It throttles you to 0 if you come out of jump and the window isn't in focus.

Well hey that's something at least.

:v:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Libluini posted:

I wasn't talking about loving Steam-achievements or whatever, I was talking about personal achievements. Or to put it even more bluntly, do you get a nice little icon blinking in your eye sight after you climbed a mountain in real life? I don't think so. Likewise there are no achievements in Elite, but you can still achieve things.

So what you're saying is that Elite is the same as real life to you? No one here is overinvested in this "game", at all.

RE: Horizons, though, the only thing that stands out to me is that they did add a (pretty much worthless) fix to how utterly poo poo ammo-consuming weapons are to it through reload crafting, so if you're only interested in combat and ant to run something other than laser boats, you pretty much have to pay the $60 and spend a bunch of time planet-crawling to get to carry more than 30/90/100 rounds for your big guns.

So since I've still got the itch for space shenanigans, I decided to do the one thing that doesn't rely on 99% of the pointlessly stupid/broken systems that frontier's tried to implement, and went off exploring-and damned if space engine 1.5 isn't pretty as all hell :allears:

I honestly think if there was populated space with some RESes that had backdrops like that, people would complain a whole lot less. Imagine firefights with that as a backdrop? That would be a fuckin' space game. As it is, it's just nice wallpaper fodder.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

Ah no harm done. It's weird that when people hear 'achievement', people associate it to a dumb checkbox thing rather than 'a cool accomplishment'. I learned about an interesting, if defective, info panel at least.

I wonder what causes it to bug out. Mine works properly from my home system, but other people have clearly inaccurate values.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Naturally Selected posted:

I honestly think if there was populated space with some RESes that had backdrops like that, people would complain a whole lot less. Imagine firefights with that as a backdrop? That would be a fuckin' space game. As it is, it's just nice wallpaper fodder.

We had a firefight with a gas giant as backdrop on Tuesday. At one point I was cruising over a gigantic, white set of rings while my ringmates were lighting up a Federal Drop Ship below me. The contrast between blazing laser shots and explosions and the blindingly white rings made for an impressive sight. Makes me wish I thought about taking screenshots.

What I'm saying is, sometimes you get lucky and a RES or conflict zone spawns near some neat sights.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.
Wait, there's a character creator?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
EVE IS REAL oh wait wrong game.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So the asp is really the only long-range explorer out there outside of an unshielded 'conda, right? Switching back to the junk-looking cockpit is such a letdown after flying the FDL for a while.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'm really starting to wish that the planetary missions on the bulletin board of a surface station were generated exclusively for the planet the station is on. I want to futz around in my SRV doing missions, but I don't want to jump back and forth between different systems and planets to do it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Every station i visit has a "Promotion Opportunities" for federal/federation something, i forget what and i'm heading off to bed now, what the gently caress are these things clogging up my mission list? And it's those powerlame "lol find this thing for us, where is it? lol i dunno" missions also.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Ok Horizons just went from great to loving amazing in my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVMO8T1c2hU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dongattack posted:

Every station i visit has a "Promotion Opportunities" for federal/federation something, i forget what and i'm heading off to bed now, what the gently caress are these things clogging up my mission list? And it's those powerlame "lol find this thing for us, where is it? lol i dunno" missions also.

It increases your rank with the Federal Navy.

Do one and they'll disappear (until you rank up again).

http://i.imgur.com/F1tji8p.gifv

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

Greetings from Straneou RI-T E3-1149, in orbit around a neutron star, 19 thousand lightyears from civilization and situated in a black hole field.

I can't claim to be the most sane or sober explorer, as the dot says to me, but the difficulty of interstellar travel has been overstated. The Dodge Swinger 1973 Viper MkIII has been a dream to fly to the galaxy core. Has far better handles than the Asp and runs cold. Fuel scoop large enough to refill vodka stocks from molecular clouds in mere minutes. Engine has turned over reliably for all 38 thousand lightyears of this ongoing journey.

(No room for a DSS so like hell if I can tell when something's terraformable or not. I haven't landed at a station since mid-November but yeah no fitting a buggy here. I wish to be home with my fellow humans so I can set off again in something even stupider. Send help.)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

So the asp is really the only long-range explorer out there outside of an unshielded 'conda, right? Switching back to the junk-looking cockpit is such a letdown after flying the FDL for a while.

Yes.

In the infinite wisdom of their ship designer there are about a dozen 20-25ish LY exploration ships and 2 that can break 30LY.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Xae posted:

In the infinite wisdom of their ship designer there are about a dozen 20-25ish LY exploration ships and 2 that can break 30LY.
Hey now, be fair. There's three ships that can break 30ly in an exploration fitting (and 10 that can break 30ly period).

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Xae posted:

Yes.

What kills me is the FDL (a no-bullshit heavy fighter unfit for anything else) has a comparatively huge, luxurious cabin with nice lines, etc. While the "exploration" ship is literally a cramped little glass ball stuck onto a type 6. I'm not one of those people that need to roleplay taking a poo poo or whatever, but the Asp's cabin being so lovely actively annoys me. It's not even janky in a "held together with duct tape and pure grit" way. It's like it was designed to be as offensively mediocre as possible.

It's the PT Cruiser of cockpits.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Bushiz posted:

There's a loose progression post in the PGS thread on the first page. The first million or so credits is a complete slog but after that you should be able to get the hang of things. I might be on later tonight and you can claim whatever bounty I have, and if I don't have one, I'll drop a palladium cloud on you, and that'll get you into an eagle, which is the first combat ship you'll be able to afford. CMDR name is the same as forum name.

Yeah, the slog was kind of what I was dreading a bit. Anyways, it's a very kind offer, I'll probably be playing after Christmas so if I see you online I might hit you up about it!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

lol if you think the Asp has a bad cockpit. Love that trademark Lakon visibility. You can keep your zorgon peterson crapsack view.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I bought a Type-6 when I found a good trade route (15% profit on 1 million Cr of cargo for a 4LY trip!) and the cockpit is definitely less space truck-like than I expected. It's got the German bomber 180-degree glass cockpit visibility thing going.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

What kills me is the FDL (a no-bullshit heavy fighter unfit for anything else) has a comparatively huge, luxurious cabin with nice lines, etc. While the "exploration" ship is literally a cramped little glass ball stuck onto a type 6. I'm not one of those people that need to roleplay taking a poo poo or whatever, but the Asp's cabin being so lovely actively annoys me. It's not even janky in a "held together with duct tape and pure grit" way. It's like it was designed to be as offensively mediocre as possible.

so its minmatar - "Trust in the Rust" - Charles "Charlie" Fodder

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

Wait, there's a character creator?

It's coming later this season as part of Horizons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

Getting into a basic Eagle is pretty fast - despite bring cheap as chips (44,8K for the basic hull) it's the most maneuverable ship in the game and one of the most fun ones to fly, too. It's a solid early-game combat ship, though being limited to C1 guns it can have trouble damaging larger ships. Still, it ought to be enough to get you started until you can afford a Viper, Cobra or the like. You can probably handle low-intensity RESes in a Sidewinder, so that's a good way of making money as long as you keep your eyes open. More so if you can team up with a wingmate or three.

Toss me a friend invite (CMDR Zhor) - if I'm around I'll be happy to help you get started! :)

• Locked thread