Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Are we still getting a release on Christmas or did that get pushed back with the hiatus?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Still coming. We'll try to have the translation out before 2016, but no promises on account of the 'stmas.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
well, berserk did it. i've finally found a manga that I can really, really read, and i've been doing so for the last 3 god drat hours. this is loving awesome

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are the scans the best way to read this if you can't get a hold of the official releases? I'm going to start reading here: http://mangafox.me/manga/berserk/c001/6.html

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If they're Band of the Hawk and/or Evil Genius scans they're probably fine, I think the former was the group I was reading back in 2002 or 2003 for those first few volumes. That said the translation in the Dark Horse volumes are really good and what I prefer.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Far be it from me to poo poo-talk other groups, but Band of the Hawk is not fine. At all.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Scans are decent up until the eclipse, then really lovely for a little bit, then fine and better. (In comparison to, say, jojo)

Its worth noting though a lot of these scans are from like, 15 years ago. If you can buy the releases you really should.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Aren't the Band of the Hawk scanlations the ones that read like auto translated gibberish? I seem to remember it being really bad especially around the Tower of Conviction volumes.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

If you want to see Guts slash the poo poo, then those early scans are okay. If you want to actually understand what the gently caress characters are saying to each other, it's best to stick to Dark Horse.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All I know is that I knew a guy who knew a guy in HS and gave me CDs with scans and I thought it was the raddest poo poo in the universe.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

People can be rad dudes but still suck at their jobs.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

notZaar posted:

Aren't the Band of the Hawk scanlations the ones that read like auto translated gibberish? I seem to remember it being really bad especially around the Tower of Conviction volumes.

They're also irritating as gently caress because of poo poo like "Gurufsu" instead of Griffith constantly.

Thank god for the Dark Horse releases.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ooooh yeah that's right, those were the days when it was "Gatts" instead of Guts. OK yeah I don't really miss that era as much anymore.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I want to see Tower of Conviction animated so much.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

klapman posted:

well, berserk did it. i've finally found a manga that I can really, really read, and i've been doing so for the last 3 god drat hours. this is loving awesome

Protip: Don't rush it.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Lamebot posted:

Protip: Don't rush it.

I'm not sure I have a choice in the matter at this point, man. I've had the Ghosts I-IV album playing constantly while I read it and it's almost perfect for Berserk. I'm in the middle of volume ten and I just can't stop

e: omg griffith :stonk:

klapman fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 24, 2015

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

klapman posted:

I'm not sure I have a choice in the matter at this point, man. I've had the Ghosts I-IV album playing constantly while I read it and it's almost perfect for Berserk. I'm in the middle of volume ten and I just can't stop

Oh you sweet, sweet summer child. :allears:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

klapman posted:

NANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANA BATMAN!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vengarr posted:

I hope the new anime series does good enough to get that far. I really don't want to watch Golden Age for a third time, but I'm just going to chalk it up to an inevitability. I'm kind of hoping they do it the way Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood handled the early stuff and just kind of heavily summarizes the non-importnat content assuming the fans watching it had checked out the previous series but in away that anyone new watching it wouldn't be completely out of the loop so the first half wasn't just a complete retread of everything the original series had done.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Vengarr posted:

Seeing Mozgus animated would be pretty drat awesome, I have to admit.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

I really don't want to watch Golden Age for a third time.

I wouldn't mind.

Griffith! :swoon:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nuebot posted:

I hope the new anime series does good enough to get that far. I really don't want to watch Golden Age for a third time, but I'm just going to chalk it up to an inevitability. I'm kind of hoping they do it the way Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood handled the early stuff and just kind of heavily summarizes the non-importnat content assuming the fans watching it had checked out the previous series but in away that anyone new watching it wouldn't be completely out of the loop so the first half wasn't just a complete retread of everything the original series had done.

Man the movies just did a summary of the golden age.

Pleiades posted:

I wouldn't mind.

If I'm honest if it's another studio that gives it the same time as the first series I wouldn't mind much either. The movies were ugly as poo poo except for the eclipse.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'll never understand the people who like Golden Age. Yeah it's important to the narrative but what I like about this comic is the fantasy and gore. The slug guy and the butterfly demon chapters are way better.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Excellent character development and world building? Rad war stuff?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Finally off that boat and onto some real adventures.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Golden Age is great but oh my god am I DONE with it.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

I'll never understand the people who like Golden Age.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

So the new anime is also cg? At least from what I can tell in these dark teaser visuals.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I like the Golden Age but I'm hoping we'll finally be able to get beyond it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rodyle posted:

Golden Age is great but oh my god am I DONE with it.

Seriously how man goddamn iterations we have to of the Golden Age. Give me the Tower, Give me Gutts slashing those monster elves in half, give me Rickert slapping Griffiths bitch rear end face.

Just not another goddamn Golden Age.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The website's been updated with a COMMENT by Miura.

Kentarou Miura posted:

Long-awaited by fans as well as myself, this is the first anime adaptation of "Guts the Black Swordsman".
Look forward to it, everyone.
I eagerly await seeing how the figure wielding the Dragon Slayer will appear in motion.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

wrong thread yo

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 26, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LordMune posted:

The website's been updated with a COMMENT by Miura.

oh fuuuuck :flashfap:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Another historical Guts wannabe spotted.

Grutte Pier ("Big Pier").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia

His sword.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

notZaar posted:

I'll never understand the people who like Golden Age. Yeah it's important to the narrative but what I like about this comic is the fantasy and gore. The slug guy and the butterfly demon chapters are way better.
Since the Greeks, man has told stories about killiing big monsters. But the golden arc has meta cognition, which transcends folk heros and myth making. The Golden Age is the origin story, the behind the scenes of black swordsman and god king, and its good. Its like godfather but with swords. It doesn't hurt that Guts, Griffin, Casca, and the Hawks aren't princes or demigods. They are just regular people that become legends.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There's no way it's cost effective to do the armor in any other way, and they might have decided to go the whole way and just do everything in CG. It could work, since God Eater and Arpeggio of Blue Steel did CG anime decently enough.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Ccs posted:

There's no way it's cost effective to do the armor in any other way, and they might have decided to go the whole way and just do everything in CG. It could work, since God Eater and Arpeggio of Blue Steel did CG anime decently enough.

God Eater didn't have CG humans and Arpeggio didn't look particularly good.

Trying to ape 2d movement badly and a horribly generic art style didn't exactly help Arpeggio too much. Stiff movement and cutting frames is not an adequate replacement for 2d animation, and Sidonia proved this again.

They need to not gently caress up the animation this time trying to very badly imitate 2d. I hope they learned lessons from those shows. It's not like CG is inherently bad, it's just being used badly.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Bad Seafood posted:

I like the Golden Age but I'm hoping we'll finally be able to get beyond it.

Beyond Golden Age wasn't nearly as good as Fury Boat.

Starring Kevin T. Collins as Femorto Joe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Forgive me if this is really dumb, but why is the cg not just made to look like normal animation? Is there something fundamentally different between all the flash and psuedo flash cartoons done in America and the poorly blended anime CG?