Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phylodox posted:

There was no mother. She takes after her grandfather. It was a difficult birth.

Don't post your mpreg fan fics, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't post your mpreg fan fics, thanks.

would explain luke's expression in the final scene, though

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
If rey was a guy and fin was a female would the character be any better?

If the answer is no...

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
You know she can still be Luke's biological daughter without him being knowledgeable or involved in her conception. We're all eyeing the Snoke = Plagueis line as it is.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I just watched the movie and I have to say I really liked how Kylo ren was presented as more or less darth vader at first, but the first big hint you get that something's not right is when he smashes up the computer monitor after getting bad news. I was expecting a quick vader like kill, but his reaction really subverted my expectation. It was then that I was like "oh so he's not just a vader clone."

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Aaronicon posted:

You know she can still be Luke's biological daughter without him being knowledgeable or involved in her conception. We're all eyeing the Snoke = Plagueis line as it is.

Who wants to toxx themselves for the Snoke Spermjack theory?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Astro7x posted:

I thought Adam Drivers casting was weird... Probably because I see him as that guy from Girls every time he is on screen.

Everyone else that was new was an unknown to me, which was great.

Adam driver looks a ton like harrison ford, especially the nose. Turns out he is a pretty good actor too!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I liked Rey but all I could wonder is why not just cast Keira Knightly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gatts posted:

She's already been in Star Wars.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Thing to note about Snoke. In ANH Palpatine was a gigantic head, so the size of Snoke isn't actually a clue.

The space travel in ANH is also really quick. It feels slower because of the pace of the movie.

People defending Rey seem to disregard that people critiquing her still say they generally like her. They have no issue but a couple seemingly forced uses of the force.
If you compare it to Luke then compare his abilities in ANH and not the other 2 movies. Also, don't discount Luke's knowledge. He knew his father was a Jedi master. Also, people are discounting the Jedi training and help Luke received from Ben. We didn't see the moment he started practicing with the saber on the ship. Later, Luke wasn't imagining Ben talking to him. Ben literally died so that he could directly talk to him as a force ghost.

I'm also surprised there wasn't much speculation her when the costume design was posted in the tweet Carrie Fisher posted of her mocked up in black robes. Why would a costume designer be putting her in a black robe and if it's nothing important why would it be deleted. The tamest thing I can think of is mourning Han.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

cosmicjim posted:

Thing to note about Snoke. In ANH Palpatine was a gigantic head, so the size of Snoke isn't actually a clue.

The space travel in ANH is also really quick. It feels slower because of the pace of the movie.

People defending Rey seem to disregard that people critiquing her still say they generally like her. They have no issue but a couple seemingly forced uses of the force.
If you compare it to Luke then compare his abilities in ANH and not the other 2 movies. Also, don't discount Luke's knowledge. He knew his father was a Jedi master. Also, people are discounting the Jedi training and help Luke received from Ben. We didn't see the moment he started practicing with the saber on the ship. Later, Luke wasn't imagining Ben talking to him. Ben literally died so that he could directly talk to him as a force ghost.

Yeah, I mean we know less about her than we did Luke in ANH and she also progresses much faster than he did, so it doesn't seem as satisfying by the end of the film. Also I have a hard time seeing how they can reestablish Kylo Ren as a threat now that he's already been defeated, though his character is an interesting take as a villain in it's own right.

Personally, I thought Finn was a more interesting character who also had more room to grow, but he ended up getting the short end of the light-saber (right in the shoulder). Who knows, maybe he'll turn out to be a jedi too and they'll focus on him more in the sequels. In a way Finn and Rey are a bit like Luke split into two characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Also I have a hard time seeing how they can reestablish Kylo Ren as a threat now that he's already been defeated,

Well, for one, he can fight Rey without a bleeding hole in his gut.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Regarding the space travel, it was weird because there seemed to be little indication that Hyperspace wasn't basically a wormhole, while ANH and ESB and so on suggested that while very fast it took a little while. This is pretty much entirely a factor of how the movie is paced but I do think it's a bit of a mark against TFA, because you are taking distance off the table entirely. The fleet will always be able to be there instantly, for good or for ill. An escaped person will always be potentially anywhere, defusing the possibility of pursuit, and so on.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Yeah, I mean we know less about her than we did Luke in ANH and she also progresses much faster than he did, so it doesn't seem as satisfying by the end of the film. Also I have a hard time seeing how they can reestablish Kylo Ren as a threat now that he's already been defeated, though his character is an interesting take as a villain in it's own right.
Ehhh, at the end of ANH Vader had failed to get info out of Leia, arguably only "won" his duel against his old master because his old master committed suicide by saber, and got blasted out of a trench by a drug runner's space shotgun. Yet people found him plenty menacing in ESB. I do think Kylo has a different sort of menace though, he's more "crazy motherfucker willing to mangle himself to beat you".

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Gatts posted:

because daisy ridley can express things with her face

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Well, for one, he can fight Rey without a bleeding hole in his gut.

He needs to stop picking at it first. Dude was PUNCHING his own wound out of spite during the fight.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Smoking Crow posted:

An important Twitter for y'all to follow

https://twitter.com/KyloR3n

Love all of this.

One of the things I loved, probably one of my favorite shots in the movie, was Rey sitting in the shadow of the AT-AT wearing an old Rebel helmet. She's a Star Wars nerd who has heard all of the myths and legends and she's living out the fantasy. She's heard that Jedi can control people by telling them what to do and she just found out she's a goddamn Jedi! Of course she'd try the legend and see if it works.

I've seen it three times, 2D/3D/2D, and it was really valuable to see it in 3D the second time. The Death Star is such an irrelevant B story to what's going on but it turns out that the depth and arrangement of them in 3D space made it at least engaging in a way I didn't find in 2D. It was worse the third time in 2D just because it was both flat and uninvolving.

Unfortunately I noticed that the embrace at the end between Leia and Rey makes no sense and robs Chewie of a well earned emotional release with Leia. Leia had never even laid eyes on Rey at that point and only her out of place-ness identifies her. But Chewie has a lifetime with Han and Leia shared a kid with him. Those two lost so much and Chewie walks right past. That was potentially a powerful image and they used it on Rey to give her... I have no idea.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Leia already dicked Chewie out of a medal in the first movie, man.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Saladin Ahmed said it several times in his Twitter feed and I agree: Kylo Ren is kind of like what Anakin was supposed to be in the prequels: he's angry, violent, but out of control and just lost. That monotone he goes for is his attempt at being chill and it totally fails. Even his lightsaber looks unstable.

What I'm saying is, I like it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

Unfortunately I noticed that the embrace at the end between Leia and Rey makes no sense and robs Chewie of a well earned emotional release with Leia. Leia had never even laid eyes on Rey at that point and only her out of place-ness identifies her. But Chewie has a lifetime with Han and Leia shared a kid with him. Those two lost so much and Chewie walks right past. That was potentially a powerful image and they used it on Rey to give her... I have no idea.

Yeah, that was really odd. I get the thematic reason for it (adoptive mother replacing adoptive father) but it is really not earned.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Has SMG weighed in on the movie yet?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

One of the things I loved, probably one of my favorite shots in the movie, was Rey sitting in the shadow of the AT-AT wearing an old Rebel helmet.

Yeah, the movie had a lot of great Rey moments that I think got lost in the ultra-fast pace.

I really like the scene where she's cleaning up the junk she salvaged and there's a brief moment where she sort of stares at the old woman across the table, and the movie leaves it up the viewer's imagination to figure out what she might be thinking.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Agreed, but she's thinking "Wow, I hope I don't become that old woman, still stuck here at the end of my life." Also, that she wants to go to Toshi Station to buy some power converters.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Agreed, but she's thinking "Wow, I hope I don't become that old woman, still stuck here at the end of my life." Also, that she wants to go to Toshi Station to buy some power converters.

I thought she was thinking, "Did that woman just look at me funny? I'm so gonna force choke the poo poo out of-- wait what?"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Noam Chomsky posted:

If you grow up on Jakku, Toshi Station is basically Coruscant.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Spacebump posted:

If you grow up on Jakku, Toshi Station is basically Coruscant.
It is kind of impressive how Jakku manages to be even bleaker and shittier than Tatooine. Did people even live there before all the wreckage?

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!

CalmDownMate posted:

If rey was a guy and fin was a female would the character be any better?

If the answer is no...

What would change if Rey was a male character?

Not much tbh

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."
Ughh...Snoke. I can't even take anybody seriously when they say Snoke.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Oddity posted:

Ughh...Snoke. I can't even take anybody seriously when they say Snoke.

We got used to Count Dooku.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has SMG weighed in on the movie yet?

Yeah he had very little to say or contribute (because it's a good movie) so instead he started talking nonsense about how much he loved the Neimoidians as characters.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So what's the awakening that happens anyway? It's the title of the drat movie but what did the force do? Is it just that Rey is able to use it? Was it gone? Movie doesn't explain poo poo.

Also I think that a large part of why Ren gets his rear end kicked in the last fight is that he doesn't really understand how the dark side works. He's trying to overcompensate for his lack of success by channeling emotion (his tantrums) and in the last fight he's seen pounding his blaster wound with his fist because the dark side is all about pain you guys, it'll make me stronger. Ren has Jedi training and he's relying on that training for much of his ability, but he's trying to suppress it and so he's actually neutering his own powers. Him completing his dark side training should make him legitimately scary and there's going to be a scene echoing Vader's "now I am the master" speech to Obi Wan.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It awoke in Rey, the new Jedi, because all the Jedi aside from Luke are dead.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah basically Rey is gonna be the best Jedi ever ever (ever, guys). I took R2D2's sudden waking up to be the moment that 'the force has awoken'. Luke presumably told him to stay asleep until Rey had a big force experience, which R2 knows about because he's always been basically the god of the Star Wars universe.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The most jarring part of the movie for me was when the heroes all returned after Han died and Leia and Chewbacca who have been friends for 30+ years and were the two closest people to Han in the galaxy completely ignore each other in favour of Leia hugging a girl she's know for a couple of hours for some reason.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Chewie and Leia didn't really have much to do with each other. He was her not-husband's business partner - no matter how long they'd been in business, they wouldn't really have a huge amount to do with each other if they didn't have to. Especially with Han smugglin' every chance he gets, and probably trying the family life thing when he's not, Chewie probably spent a lot of time in cantinas waiting for them to have another fight and trial separation.

Or maybe he's like super racist against humans after the Clone Wars / Empire and Han is literally the only human being he can stand to be around for more than 10 minutes.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Orr...maybe Chewie having a life debt to Han and failing to protect him means the big fuzzball needed time to gently caress off and be by himself rather than hang out with somebody who would make him feel guilty for failing his life debt?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It was probably, like most major flaws with this movie, due to its pacing. It doesn't have time for extraneous character interactions. It just wants to get straight to business. The business of ladies hugging.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
THE PACING.

MY IMMERSION.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
How this movie really delivers:

1) Makes old nerds angry about a bunch of stupid poo poo no one gives a gently caress about unless you are a stupid nerd and are pissed the movie wasn't a video encyclopedia justifying every stupid little detail that has absolutely no baring on character development.

2) Angry old nerds are realizing they are no longer the target demographic and this just makes them older and angrier. There are no late 30s-40s characters in the film so no LARPING to be had.

2) Kids like it and so do people that are capable of suspending disbelief for a space opera that is barely sci-fi. So the franchise will continue and probably in a very good direction.

Is the episode 8 script even written yet? Here's a thought: maybe all the ambiguity with the characters is due to no one thinking about where to take the characters and plot quite yet.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Avalanche posted:

Is the episode 8 script even written yet? Here's a thought: maybe all the ambiguity with the characters is due to no one thinking about where to take the characters and plot quite yet.

There's a thing going around the news sites saying that the script is written and JJ is sad that he's not directing it because he thinks it's great.

Calling it now. It'll have a Hoth battle but instead of snow, it'll be on sand. It's like poetry!

e: and apparently there was at least a draft finished during the filming of EpVII, as Rian Johnson (or whoever) was able to get a couple things into the shooting script to help him set up things for it. I doubt Disney wouldn't already have this thing plotted out in vague terms and ultimate destination. They're not going to go into this thing half-assed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

If the "Face me cousin!" thing is true, then I'm calling it now that Snoke is actually a holomask for Luke's babymamma. Who decided that pretending to be a guy would ensure she wouldn't get written off as an unrealistic super villain.
Wonder where that idea would have come from....

• Locked thread