Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I don't even really like Teles but goddamn is that thing sexy. Something about it being just the right shade of red and the binding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

That is one of the nicest Teles I have seen, congrats.

I've thought many times about getting a local builder to make a new body for my CV Tele as the neck is one of my favourites. :allears:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sockington posted:

I've thought many times about getting a local builder to make a new body for my CV Tele as the neck is one of my favourites. :allears:

Have you checked out Warmoth?
That's where I am eventually getting mine from when I pull my thumb out of my rear end

http://www.warmoth.com/

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Sockington posted:

Heh, I find the CV Tele neck to be a bit too thin personally. It is well made though, outside of the super soft metal they use for the frets. I would just email the dude to get a ballpark what he would want for a body anyway.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Holy loving poo poo I just got a good condition used Uberschall pedal for $165 shipped. :shepspends: but in the best possible way

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

Heh, I find the CV Tele neck to be a bit too thin personally. It is well made though, outside of the super soft metal they use for the frets. I would just email the dude to get a ballpark what he would want for a body anyway.

My small little cock beaters enjoy smaller necks it seems (Ibanez Wizards and stuff excluded - believe me I tried). The fretwork is FLAWLESS though. I've never felt another neck with as nicely finished frets, and I've been keeping an eye out for this detail while in stores. I think someone spent a good amount of coin getting them levelled and filed. I can run my hand at ridiculous speeds along the neck and don't even feel the frets at all. Like shockingly nice rounded into the neck.

There's a local builder who does Teles for $1K (complete guitar), so a custom body isn't out of the question. Do a LP custom style Arctic White with triple black binding :fap:

I'd like to get an arm contour with the binding like Ibanez does.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The Talman is back but it probably has issues. Sorry, I just grabbed the first link I could find. I would love to own a --burst if it played and sounded right:

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/summer-namm-2015-ibanez-talman-prestige-electric-guitars/

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
order placed, Hadean EG-491 N2, $109 shipped from rondo :banjo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I didn't like my Rondo order, but I had ordered a lead weight in the shape of a Les Paul with "Agile" on the headstock. :(

I ended up buying a Mastery M2 bridge for my MIJ Jazzmaster yesterday. It was completely random occurrence. I happened to comment on someone selling their CIJ Jazzmaster (like a good luck with sale post, saying I loved my MIJ JM), and he popped a "interested in my old Mastery?"

So ordered that on a whim to fix my bridge issues.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Sockington posted:

I didn't like my Rondo order, but I had ordered a lead weight in the shape of a Les Paul with "Agile" on the headstock. :(

I ended up buying a Mastery M2 bridge for my MIJ Jazzmaster yesterday. It was completely random occurrence. I happened to comment on someone selling their CIJ Jazzmaster (like a good luck with sale post, saying I loved my MIJ JM), and he popped a "interested in my old Mastery?"

So ordered that on a whim to fix my bridge issues.

rondo posted:

Weight: only 10 pounds!

:v:

I think they used to have a chambered one that weighed like 8 pounds but I can't find that because in like ten years they have still not made their site not garbage to navigate.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sooooo worth it :circlefap:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sockington posted:

Good man :)

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Sockington posted:

Hello everyone!

See what Sockington did here? Be like Sockington, use Mastery bridges.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Does that just drop in, or what? I've never hosed with a bridge before.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Weird BIAS posted:

Hello everyone!

See what Sockington did here? Be like Sockington, use Mastery bridges.

My tune-o-matic does just fine :colbert:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Gotoh's done me just fine (Ibanez pls sponsor my bedroom guitar rear end)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

Supposedly it does do a drop-in but of course that's only if it fits and I don't know which one you get for the Squier CV like I have.

...Which doesn't matter yet since I'm getting a pair of Fralin JM pickups for it before anything else. HURRY UP TAX RETURN MAN

e: Of course since it's Fralin I also need to decide the windings I'm leaning towards like an 8kish neck 8.something bridge though ANYONE HAVE THOUGHTS

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Allen Wren posted:

Yup, Jags / Jazzmasters and Mustangs have floating bridges, they are held on by the strings passing over them.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shugojin posted:

Supposedly it does do a drop-in but of course that's only if it fits and I don't know which one you get for the Squier CV like I have.

...Which doesn't matter yet since I'm getting a pair of Fralin JM pickups for it before anything else. HURRY UP TAX RETURN MAN

e: Of course since it's Fralin I also need to decide the windings I'm leaning towards like an 8kish neck 8.something bridge though ANYONE HAVE THOUGHTS

They do USA and import versions, check out this page:

http://www.masterybridge.com/specs/

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh cool there's literally a specific kit for it that I somehow didn't see when I looked at the store.

...TAXMAN :f5:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Shugojin posted:

This is where I'm stuck too. I'm not sure if I want the Antiquity IIs for that "classic Jazzmaster sound" or maybe some Hot for Jazzmasters kind of output. The decisions :negative:

That bridge is seriously awesome. Completely changed the instrument for me. Nice solid thud when hammering out chords and tuning up seems a lot more direct.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Antiquity IIs sound incredible and they're already pretty hot by my standard.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Antiquities are a really safe bet, great pickups

In my Jag I went for Quarter Pounders, their whole deal is they keep the Jag flavour but in a much improved pickup, and I have to say that's pretty much what I got, so I would recommend those to anyone, they don't rip the soul out of the guitar, they just improve it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I was also thinking about the Antiquity IIs. They're actually in the same range as I was thinking wind-wise and and are what, $60 cheaper for the pair.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I was also thinking about the Antiquity IIs. They're actually in the same range as I was thinking wind-wise and and are what, $60 cheaper for the pair.

I had a choice between Antiquites and Seth Lovers last time I swapped some and I went for the Seths, I would seriously also recommend those, they are probably the most crystal clear and musical pickups I've ever heard from Seymour Duncan, I cannot praise them enough.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah we're sticking with jazzmaster sized pickups because I'm not routing the jazzmaster's cavity or doing weird things with the pickguard :v:

there's a used wine red Dot on local craigslist tempting me to buy it and shove SLs in it though

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Yeah we're sticking with jazzmaster sized pickups because I'm not routing the jazzmaster's cavity or doing weird things with the pickguard :v:

there's a used wine red Dot on local craigslist tempting me to buy it and shove SLs in it though

You don't have to. If you look at my bridge pickup, there is a piece of electrical tape covering the holes and a SD Pearly Gates stuck under it right now. The cover holds the pickup in place perfectly. :smugbert:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Shugojin posted:

E;fb

No need to do any of that :getin:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
When I got new pickups for the Jag I was very mindful of not ending up with just a slightly worse Strat, that's why I went for the Quarter Pounders, it worked out well thankfully, it's still very much a Jag, just more so.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yo mr gabriel if you can would you mind posting your pickup heights for your SLs? Highest fret pressed, distance between string and pole pieces. I've been tweaking mine and I wouldn't mind having a second pair of ears in the mix. They're very unique pickups when it comes to height I've found. I've had mine all over, even messed with the pole pieces more than any other set of pickups.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

monolithburger posted:

E;fb

No need to do any of that :getin:

Yeah also I really dig single coils though so that's what's gonna happen.

Doing some research shows that the Duncan Designed pickups in it are basically the Vintage Neck and Hot Bridge so uh... both alnico 5 and 7.8k neck, 15.2k bridge.

No loving wonder the outputs feel so goddamn unmatched holy gently caress

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Yeah also I really dig single coils though so that's what's gonna happen.

To be fair, I'm headed the single coil route as well. I just stuck the humbucker in there since the stock MIJ pickup was very underwhelming.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So how does a bridge make your tone any different?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Vibrationz

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah basically it's how the string end sits. Comes up more on jazzmaster/mustang bridges because there's so much room for string wiggle at the bridge compared to, say, a tune-o-matic.

e: It's not so much a ~*tonez*~ change as a GODDAMMIT loving STAY RIGHT THERE YOU JACKASS

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd never seen a jazzmaster bridge until now. What a terrible design.

So basically, if you've got a standard, proper, Gibson bridge, you don't have to worry about it?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Some saddle materials have a minor effect on timbre but not usually large enough for it to matter.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I mean the saddles on a TOM can still be cut wrong but yeah people tend to not switch those out all the time. It doesn't have to be a TOM style though. For example, the saddles on my made in Korea G&L Legacy are super good and have never given me even the tiniest amount of poo poo but don't have a notch holding the string in place. It's really up to the angle and tension more than anything else... which, with the pretty low tension of the Jazzmaster... :suicide:

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
The mastery bridge is not for replacing tune-o-matics, it's entirely for replacing the jazzmaster bridge, but they also sell a tele style replacement for tele's with bigsby's because those come with the grooved saddles too.

Like the mastery bridge does not fit onto a tune-o-matic style bridge from what I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I wasn't trying to say it was but I should have specified. If something is wrong with a tune-o-matic you pretty much replace it with a better made tune-o-matic.