Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I have decided to say gently caress it to civilized space and leave on another exploration trip.

General Goals are the following.

- Breach 30,000 stars claimed under my name
- Get my travelometer up from 600,000ly to 1,000,000ly
- Use SRV jump boosts to beat the furthest traveled system from sol, which is currently around 65,380ly.

Wish me luck.

If you want to follow my progress, feel free to add CMDR ATT.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

A Tartan Tory posted:

I have decided to say gently caress it to civilized space and leave on another exploration trip.

- Use SRV jump boosts to beat the furthest traveled system from sol, which is currently around 65,380ly.

Wish me luck.

Bring a cargo rack or two. I'm exploring in my python and I've collected all kinds of junk from planets

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
So I know everyone is having fun running around on desolate moons in dune buggies, but can we talk about robigo runs for a second.

I only picked the game up a few weeks before horizons so I have not made my space billions yet. I was doing robigo runs prior to horizons in a kitted out asp and making a decent 20 mill-ish a run, but now its alot more hit or miss.

They obviously went and tried to balance long range smuggling, by making it so if you get scanned the mission fails. This is clever and I think its a step in the right direction. Conversely there are still lucrative cargo smuggling missions but they require a much slower ship with alot more cargo, to take on.

The reason the shadow missions are balanced seems to be that the frequency and amount of system authority vessels that spawn at stations and try and interdict you on the way increases depending on the amount of missions you take. Take fifteen missions on for 25 million and expect to get a complication every jump on the way back.

Compounding this is the (bugged?) navigation system that drops your route every jump. Anyone know why that is? It seems tied to cargo, as I can plot a route to robigo no problem but headed back with a full cargo hold makes it break.

Anyone else still doing these runs have any tips or insights.

Also with about 85 Million in space monies is there a more lucrative way to make money I should be graduating to or was/is long range smuggling still the best way?

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Roberts must know I'm in the Elite camp. I keep getting PTU invites for Star Citizen after I gave him :20bux: back during the Kickstarter in 1982.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Godspeed. I had half a mind to try and reach some likely untagged Planetary Nebulae with FSD Injections, but after getting 300 rocks, and enough for a one whole grade 3 injection my mood rapidly went to "gently caress this".

Arach fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 24, 2015

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Galaga Galaxian posted:

lol if you think the Asp has a bad cockpit. Love that trademark Lakon visibility. You can keep your zorgon peterson crapsack view.
In fairness, the FdL's got prety decent visibility for a ship that size. That said, lol at the FdL being "no-bullshit". If that was really the case the leather trim would get stripped out to make room for a bigger gas tank and FSD.

Also the Asp's cockpit is actually way bigger than it looks on a monitor in first person. There's a whole other copilot position below you, and the top of the canopy is like 10 feet over your head.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

The one thing I hate about some ships is that the loving cockpit isn't symmetrical, it really bugs me, especially in the FDL.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

A Tartan Tory posted:

The one thing I hate about some ships is that the loving cockpit isn't symmetrical, it really bugs me, especially in the FDL.
I'm pretty sure they're all symmetrical (the canopies, at least), just some pilot seats are offset from center. It's never really bugged me. :shrug:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Helter Skelter posted:

In fairness, the FdL's got prety decent visibility for a ship that size. That said, lol at the FdL being "no-bullshit". If that was really the case the leather trim would get stripped out to make room for a bigger gas tank and FSD.

Also the Asp's cockpit is actually way bigger than it looks on a monitor in first person. There's a whole other copilot position below you, and the top of the canopy is like 10 feet over your head.

Cockpit sizes in the game are completely bananas sometimes. Take a look at the imperial clipper from outside from a distance, how big the cockpit makes it look, and then look for the tiny tiny pilots seat in the middle of the office block that is the cockpit

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

Besides the concept of the FdL is that it is designed to be a luxurious combat craft for people with a lot of money to throw away. :v:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

GarudaPrime posted:

So I know everyone is having fun running around on desolate moons in dune buggies, but can we talk about robigo runs for a second.

The navigation bug seems to need a reload to clear it.

I'm still doing these, in a 30ly asp. Haven't found anything else that offers the same creds/hour plus it's actually quite addictive now that there's a real risk of being interdicted and losing everything and escalating risk the more missions you stack.

I've found the sweet spot is around 3-4 shadow delivery missions plus one 20-30ton mission that won't fail on scan so it's not a total bust if you get scanned.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
FDL is an executive luxury performance battle wagon. It's for space pimps and space CEOs who might need to splash some idiots or schlong someone Trump style, but ain't gonna gently caress around with a non luxury ship.

The low jump range is because classy dudes who fly FDLs can afford the luxury and simple joy of flying, and the raw power of their luxury roadster.

FDL commercials are all about "the joy of dunking on idiots."

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 24, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

ShineDog posted:

Cockpit sizes in the game are completely bananas sometimes. Take a look at the imperial clipper from outside from a distance, how big the cockpit makes it look, and then look for the tiny tiny pilots seat in the middle of the office block that is the cockpit

When you think about it, it's more crazy that we're flying ships so big on our own. I mean, the Anaconda's the same size as the Blockade Runner from Star Wars, and the Clipper isn't much smaller than that.

Hell, the Cobra's the same size as the Falcon.

I guess it'd make more sense to think of it as the Bridge rather than the Cockpit.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 24, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ShineDog posted:

Yeah, I think when we get the "walk around in your ship" patch down the line, people are gonna get real weirded out when the realize how big some of their poo poo is. The Millennium Falcon is a "small" ship :v:

In the Cobra's case, the cockpit itself doesn't seem all that physically big. You can kinda see based on the walls and stuff within your headlook range, it's maybe the size of a decent-sized office room. There's probably not more than like 6 feet between those two seats. In fact, that's about the size of the Falcon's cockpit, too- kinda intimate quarters for the pilot(s) and a little standing room behind. Just instead of living quarters we have vehicle bays and cargo racks.

But yeah, stuff like the Clipper, Orca, Anaconda, and Corvette all have like full-on bridges in there. Those ships are probably gonna be nuts with multicrew, like if you thought the Clipper was was a murderous ramming machine before, imagine it when there's a dude dedicated to like self-repairing it in the field.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

I'm pretty sure they're all symmetrical (the canopies, at least), just some pilot seats are offset from center. It's never really bugged me. :shrug:

The canopies may be symmetrical, but the bridge on the FdL is actually sort of L-shaped - the main pilot sits in a little nook ahead and to the right of the copilot.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm moving to a new place now.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It increases your rank with the Federal Navy.

Do one and they'll disappear (until you rank up again).

http://i.imgur.com/F1tji8p.gifv

lol, i love that gif.

There are no downsides to doing it then? I won't lock myself out of a different faction or anything? CAN you actually lock yourself out of stuff in the game?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dongattack posted:

lol, i love that gif.

There are no downsides to doing it then? I won't lock myself out of a different faction or anything? CAN you actually lock yourself out of stuff in the game?

You'd have to like do it on purpose by attacking so many non-criminal Federal/Empire ships to drop them down into "enemy" status, and I'm pretty sure that even that can be recovered from.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Nice nice.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I think I'm going to check this out for getting some Imp ranks:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3y2trw/empire_ranking_in_20_donations_shmonations/

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

But yeah, stuff like the Clipper, Orca, Anaconda, and Corvette all have like full-on bridges in there. Those ships are probably gonna be nuts with multicrew, like if you thought the Clipper was was a murderous ramming machine before, imagine it when there's a dude dedicated to like self-repairing it in the field.
Not only they have full-on bridges, but the Anaconda and iCutter even have observation decks. The Orca might also have one of those, though I am not sure.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The Corvette has some pretty impressive viewports along the keel.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Helter Skelter posted:

Guess I don't read lore that much. Still, give me a loving FDL explorer over a space-PT Cruiser any day. Also the fact that the ~luxury cruisin'~ ships don't include a long-range "take a leisurely, luxurious ride to Barnard's Loop" version is loving hilarious.

Also drat there's gotta be some funky as hell positioning/scaling, cause the view from the inside of the cockpit , especially if you look down at the controls, makes it feel like there's maybe a foot of space each side of the chair, if that. I'm pretty sure that the external view isn't actually rendering the cockpit as you see it in first-person view.

E: Well, without the need for an SRV, you can push the FDL to just over 17ly jump range. If I ever make it back to civilized space, I... might just fit one out to be the slowest explorer ever.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 24, 2015

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

A Tartan Tory posted:

Wish me luck.

If you want to follow my progress, feel free to add CMDR ATT.

And don't come back this time without our space Armada of thargoids to liberate Jotunheim.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Naturally Selected posted:

I'm pretty sure that the external view isn't actually rendering the cockpit as you see it in first-person view.
While I'm sure that's true, I'm pretty sure the scale is more or less correct. I'm told that you get a much better sense of the actual scale from the interior if you're playing in VR. My own fiddling with the 3D anaglyph mode (those cheesy old red/blue glasses) seems to support this. A 2D picture on a monitor simply doesn't convey the necessary depth information to really get a true sense of the scale.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

While I'm sure that's true, I'm pretty sure the scale is more or less correct. I'm told that you get a much better sense of the actual scale from the interior if you're playing in VR. My own fiddling with the 3D anaglyph mode (those cheesy old red/blue glasses) seems to support this. A 2D picture on a monitor simply doesn't convey the necessary depth information to really get a true sense of the scale.

Just to confirm this, there are certain cockpits where the positioning of bars you see in your vision doesn't match up with what you see inside. There's at least one ship that had major issues with a large external piece entirely missing from the inside when it was first released, I think it was the Python?

Then you've got to consider how every side-by--side two-seater cockpit is demonstrably 'fake' in that your roll axis remains in the exact center of your viewpoint, not off-center as it should be if you were sitting to the side of the ship's spine. This is especially pronounced when you land on a pad- your view is lined up perfectly with the center of the pad, so the rest of your ship ought to be sticking out to one side, not centered on the pad- yet the ship is centered in third-person view.

So yeah, the cockpit you see is just visual fakery and not part of your actual ship model. Personally though, I don't think the scale is accurate at all- you can gauge the thickness of cockpit bars seen from the outside and compare them to how thick they seem from the inside, and there's a few cockpits that have your feet very close to the main console so you can get a better sense of relative distance that way. There's just no way the inside-view cockpits could be as huge as they appear on the outside, perspective shift notwithstanding. The pilot seen from external view seems to be about 3/4 or less of the 'real' pilot size.

Also, VR isn't a very good measurement of scale here- I couldn't give you a scientific reason as to why, but reports of things appearing smaller or larger than they actually are are quite common among VR users, even in instances where distances can be measured for verification (such as the the distance between your hands using motion tracking, for example).

I don't buy that Elite ships are as large as they're supposed to be, and it would explain some things about why the flying feels as slow as it does despite speedometer speeds that feel quite fast in other games/sims (even ones where you fly aircraft as large as E:D's ships supposedly are) if E:D's 'meter' is actually around 3/4 of a meter, relative to human scale.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 24, 2015

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

Yeah, in VR everything feels so much bigger.

The only thing I don't really like about Lakon cockpits is how sterile they are — just metal and glass, very spartan compared to a lot of other ships. I was going to take my Python out on this exploration trip but the view from the Asp is just too good to resist.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Not far at all. IN SPACE!!!

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Naturally Selected posted:

Guess I don't read lore that much. Still, give me a loving FDL explorer over a space-PT Cruiser any day. Also the fact that the ~luxury cruisin'~ ships don't include a long-range "take a leisurely, luxurious ride to Barnard's Loop" version is loving hilarious.

Also drat there's gotta be some funky as hell positioning/scaling, cause the view from the inside of the cockpit , especially if you look down at the controls, makes it feel like there's maybe a foot of space each side of the chair, if that. I'm pretty sure that the external view isn't actually rendering the cockpit as you see it in first-person view.

E: Well, without the need for an SRV, you can push the FDL to just over 17ly jump range. If I ever make it back to civilized space, I... might just fit one out to be the slowest explorer ever.

luxury exploration is best done with an iclipper. You can eke out just under 25ly with 4 SRVs and a shield

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Flew an Asp for the first time last night, drat that thing is heavy. It has so much momentum it slides around everywhere.

The engine sounds awesome though :swoon:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yup. It gets better with better thrusters, but it'll never be a prima ballerina, its arse is just too fat.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The yaw sucks on the Asp, but the lateral and vertical thrusters are quite good. You can get surprisingly fancy with it once you spend some time learning its foibles. Whipping around an outpost sideways and backflipping neatly on to the pad is a lot of fun.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

And don't come back this time without our space Armada of thargoids to liberate Jotunheim.

You just need to learn that the raving armada of thargoids has been inside you...all along.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Dropped into a Distress Signal expecting salvage like every other time, was not expecting an actually alive guy and waves of pirates coming to end this poor schmuck. Upon kicking rear end (and getting my rear end kicked), an SAR Anaconda dropped by to thank me and also show off his lovely paintjob which I dearly hope will be available eventually:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

A Tartan Tory posted:

You just need to learn that the raving armada of thargoids has been inside you...all along.

Soon they will burst out of your chest and conquer the galaxy. :mrgw:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

A Tartan Tory posted:

Bill Cosby is a Thargoid. CONFIRMED.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Gonkish posted:

Bill Cosby is a Thargoid. CONFIRMED.

It's no surprise that he did some probing.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hey guys. If I fail or abandon missions, I can't take those of that type again?

I failed/abandoned a few due to stupid newbie, but now I can't get mission offers that I could possibly do (like retrieving cargo and such).

Also, why I can't go to some neighboring systems when I get offered missions? I took one that involved flying to a nearby star but the hyperspace jump said I couldn't do it. I tried planning routes from other systems and never changed from "route unavailable". This is because I don't have enough jump range capacity or something?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Transmetropolitan posted:

Hey guys. If I fail or abandon missions, I can't take those of that type again?

I failed/abandoned a few due to stupid newbie, but now I can't get mission offers that I could possibly do (like retrieving cargo and such).

Also, why I can't go to some neighboring systems when I get offered missions? I took one that involved flying to a nearby star but the hyperspace jump said I couldn't do it. I tried planning routes from other systems and never changed from "route unavailable". This is because I don't have enough jump range capacity or something?

The board will reset in time. Alternatively you can change modes and get a new set of missions as solo, open and private are all different boards.

Probably upgrade your frameshift drive for the missions issue.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Does the game only update when you first discover an object when you hand in the data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Dodge Swinger 1973

:gary: Jesus on the dashboard? :yarg:

• Locked thread