Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boon posted:

In 1,850 points, how hard to kill are two Wraithknights? How would you approach an army like that?

two IA1 vanquishers with beast hunter shells (72" s8 ap2 instant death blast)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Pretty much anybody other than Mechanicus or Space Marines (or other Eldar) are going to really struggle with two Knights. With access to Grav-weaponry you have the potential to dumpster them turn 1. Knights might be able to do okay in melee but odds are good that one of the D-weapon damage rolls is a 6 and then the knight is done.

What, say, Chaos does to stop this I have no idea. Be'lakor casting Psychic Shriek and Invisibility maybe? Necrons also struggle against Wraithknights, but maybe they'd get lucky on rending rolls from Canoptek Wraiths and kill the Wraithknight before it beats them to death.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

two IA1 vanquishers with beast hunter shells (72" s8 ap2 instant death blast)

Instant Death doesn't kill Wraithknights, which are Gargantuan Creatures now.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I know it's a dick move but I'm considering it for Adepticon (if I go).

I haven't played since NOVA, but I'm so scarred from fighting flying Hive Tyrants and Thunderwolves that I figured gently caress them.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Boon posted:

In 1,850 points, how hard to kill are two Wraithknights? How would you approach an army like that?

I find Riptides alone are hard enough to kill if hiding properly. I suppose suicide Grav Pods would be the most reliable way that doesn't involve psychic power shenanigans to get close enough to assault.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

panascope posted:

d3 wounds still isn't bad

I mean, gently caress it, throw a Ta'unar at it, it's only 10 points more than two Wraightknights

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I'd use my Toxin sacs hormagaunts to tie them up and the- ... they're Gargantuan now? welp

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
They can still die under a flurry of toxin hormagaunts, I almost killed An'ggrath that way before his friends came and helped (down to 2 wounds)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
two units of 7 th/ss terminators

I mean it only has two strength D shots

uh... 1.3 hits... .888 saves... .296 dead + .222 dead so about half a terminator dead from shooting per turn, should leave enough alive to make it to assault, at least, and then you're at least wounding on 4.

e: of course they loving nerfed dark angels' rad shells

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 24, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Boon posted:

Misfortune

150 conscripts.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Boon posted:

Depends on what you're using. Grav heavy armies will deal with it no problem. Things like Cult Mech and space marines on bikes or in drop pods will deal with it easily. Stuff like Tau and Imperial Guard have the tools if built properly, but will still have a little trouble. Tyranids have pretty much zero answer for them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Hmm. I picked up a Black Templars upgrade kit at a hobby shop today. I should have figured that the special weapons would have been like the old tactical kit and not have a hand sculpted on them. Which Horus Heresy kit should I get so that I could make use of these weapons since getting bold tac squad arms that I find on eBay all come with boltguns, and I'd rather not just have more pieces that I can't use with new kits.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

two units of 7 th/ss terminators

I mean it only has two strength D shots

uh... 1.3 hits... .888 saves... .296 dead + .222 dead so about half a terminator dead from shooting per turn, should leave enough alive to make it to assault, at least, and then you're at least wounding on 4.

e: of course they loving nerfed dark angels' rad shells

Stomp and FnP makes this harder than you'd think.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

Depends on what you're using. Grav heavy armies will deal with it no problem. Things like Cult Mech and space marines on bikes or in drop pods will deal with it easily. Stuff like Tau and Imperial Guard have the tools if built properly, but will still have a little trouble. Tyranids have pretty much zero answer for them.

The last time someone asked this I think the most mathhammer-efficient option to kill a WK was lash whip & bonesword Shrikes / Flyrants. Lash whips let you strike first while boneswords can ignore their armour save, FNP save and inflict D3 wounds. Obviously this relies on getting fragile, expensive units into combat alive and rolling well to get some Instant Death attacks. It's a pretty good example of how much Tyranid melee sucks when a tailored list is still basically a suicide option.

It is worth keeping in mind that Paroxsym is a decent counter to large units like Wraithknights; either weakening them ready for a melee attack or simply making their shooting attacks ineffective enough to ignore them entirely.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 24, 2015

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Stomp and FnP makes this harder than you'd think.

Yeah, I wish closing into assault was a garaunteed counter, but you have to get through any intervening enemies, and if you deep strike in get pummeled for a turn. I'd say depending on game type focusing on more fragile targets is an option. I've won plenty of games ignoring Riptides.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Anyone in Aus interested in some old wood elf stuff in exchange for chaos marine/imperial marine stuff? Some old metal scouts and wardancers, a few characters and a bunch of plastic archers, I'll dig em out if there's any interest. I'm trying to bulk up my chaos stuff and maybe build an imperial hor kill team or something to pit them against - the older the figs the better, I can't get into the super high detail modern stuff.

I'd love to see pictures of people's cool kill teams too!

field balm fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 24, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The thing that protects Tyranids from Wraithknights is that most other armies now have solid counters to them and thus they don't show up as often as they used to. Grimdark herd immunity

Alternatively I just ignore the WK and focus-fire the rest of the army, which is generally pretty susceptible to Nid Fire/Psychic powers. I use enough Flyers that I typically only care about a Wraithknights if it manages to hit and ID my Tyrants.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The thing that protects Tyranids from Wraithknights is that most Tyranid players don't play any more.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

DJ Dizzy posted:

Misfortune

150 conscripts.

Awarded a medal for efficiency.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

panascope posted:

Pretty much anybody other than Mechanicus or Space Marines (or other Eldar) are going to really struggle with two Knights. With access to Grav-weaponry you have the potential to dumpster them turn 1. Knights might be able to do okay in melee but odds are good that one of the D-weapon damage rolls is a 6 and then the knight is done.

What, say, Chaos does to stop this I have no idea. Be'lakor casting Psychic Shriek and Invisibility maybe? Necrons also struggle against Wraithknights, but maybe they'd get lucky on rending rolls from Canoptek Wraiths and kill the Wraithknight before it beats them to death.

Yeah, I have no idea how I'd deal with this with a Chaos Space Marine army. Even with Daemonkin, a Bloodthirster is only an MC so he can be stomped to death by the Wraithknight pretty easily and the standard BT is only S6. You could try the one with the Strength D axe, but that's unwieldy, so he can get stomped before he attacks. Maybe a bunch of MoT Obliterators firing Assault Cannons? A crapload of autocannon havocs?

Also I thought the Wraithknight was LoW choice now. How do you take 2 in a standard tournament?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Thanks for reminding me that the material incarnation of the Blood God is worse in close combat than a space elf robot.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

spacegoat posted:

Thanks for reminding me that the material incarnation of the Blood God is worse in close combat than a space elf robot.

No problem! This was something I had to worry about last time I played against BuffaloChicken's Barbed Heirodule. I waited to charge it until it only had 2 Wounds left because I needed to be sure I could kill it before it could stomp. Note that the new Bloodthirster is easily as large and is much taller than the Heirodule.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I played a no-holds-barred nastiest-2000 point tournament once, and ran up against a guy running 4 CC wraithknights.

I was, for unrelated reasons, running 40 3-man acolyte squads (vortex of doom spam). But each of those squads had telepathy, and therefore psychic scream.

So that works well.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

The thing that protects Tyranids from Wraithknights is that most other armies now have solid counters to them and thus they don't show up as often as they used to. Grimdark herd immunity

Alternatively I just ignore the WK and focus-fire the rest of the army, which is generally pretty susceptible to Nid Fire/Psychic powers. I use enough Flyers that I typically only care about a Wraithknights if it manages to hit and ID my Tyrants.

Ready to focus fire some painting on to my Ultras? =D

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Uroboros posted:

Ready to focus fire some painting on to my Ultras? =D

Haha...ha... :/ That's going to be a while. Just got a new kid and a whole bunch of fun life stuff that has killed my time.

I still have to finish another commission that I'm way late on and feel terrible about. Life has conspired to destroy any chance to paint I had.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Boon posted:

Pretty rough. Bring grav or telepathy. Although I think bike spam is waaaay better than two wraithknights.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also I thought the Wraithknight was LoW choice now. How do you take 2 in a standard tournament?

There's a Cool And Good formation that turns the Wraithknight from a 0-1 choice into a "take as many as you can" choice.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Haha...ha... :/ That's going to be a while. Just got a new kid and a whole bunch of fun life stuff that has killed my time.

I still have to finish another commission that I'm way late on and feel terrible about. Life has conspired to destroy any chance to paint I had.

Yeah, once I get a new job my ability to gently caress off and paint on the job will likely disappear. Thems the breaks.

Naramyth posted:

Pretty rough. Bring grav or telepathy. Although I think bike spam is waaaay better than two wraithknights.

I got to play against Eldar for the first time recently in 1250, and even a single unit of Jetbikes can be a pain if there is a nice LoS piece of terrain for them to jump out and shoot from then assault move back into to. Both armies had a farseer of course as standard to cast guide and the retool saves power. I fought both to a standstill but I can see how a shitload of them would get silly. Just to rub salt in the wound the fuckers counting as troops is just dumb and forced a draw in the final round instead of a win on my part.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Hey nerds, if you're getting something from Sexy Claus (me) this Christmas, just know that the post office was closed by the time I kicked your mom out of my apartment. I'll be shipping things and contacting people with payment info on Saturday.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does one spam grav? Command squads?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Skyhammer Annihilation Force. Solves just about any problem a Space Marine might have.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Centurion and normal Devs with Grav-Cannon if you want to pay the points.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
The hell is this? GW trying to turn you into a pusher?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

They were running a thing a while back where if you brought a new player along and they bought enough £££ of stuff then you both got a gift voucher.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Sex Cannon posted:

Friend-os,
I have news. I went to my Dad's house and grabbed a bunch of 40k poo poo that was destined for the garbage can. I am willing to part with any of this stuff for the cost of shipping alone through the SA forums. If you're intersted PM me or post here and we'll set poo poo up. I will gladly post pictures or clarify poo poo as needed. Everything is used unless I have specified that it is New In Box (NIB).

You still got the IG stuff? I'll buy plat and hook you up with some shipping money if so.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I do it with Katephron destroyers in cult mechanicus. 6 grav shots apiece. So 18 for 165 points. They're bs 3, but you have ways to improve that.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm running an Inquisitior-led force of Minotaurs/AM so Mechanicus henchmen isn't totally crazy

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Master Twig posted:

I do it with Katephron destroyers in cult mechanicus. 6 grav shots apiece. So 18 for 165 points. They're bs 3, but you have ways to improve that.

Do they come with Amps?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Merry Coraxmas

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want airburst/flamer crisis suits to be a thing so badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Uroboros posted:

Do they come with Amps?

They come with heavy grav cannons. Which are salvo 4/6. Which is funny because they are relentless and are the only unit in the game that can take that gun. 30 inch range too. Pretty good.

• Locked thread