Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

I, ugh, didn't notice it wasn't a reusable washer on mine, it's been going strong for the last couple years of oil changes without a drop. Guess I'm just super lucky?

The previous owner of my Civic told me that they reused the same crush washer for fifteen years.

I had to chisel it off of the drain plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I bought a fumoto for my 4th gen LGT and there isn't enough clearance on the crossmember (whatever I had to remove to access the steering rack) to screw the drat thing on.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I always thought the valves went into the drain plug hole? How do they actually work?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I always thought the valves went into the drain plug hole? How do they actually work?

The fumoto screws into the drain plug hole, it's a very low profile design, I'd be interested to see a picture of Scrambles where it won't fit. Did you perhaps get one with the long drain nipple/valve? Maybe that would make install more car specific. Regardless Fumoto was really great when I contacted them about sending me the correct model # as their old website gave incorrect advice on some car makes/models. Sent me a new one for free!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Scrambles posted:

I bought a fumoto for my 4th gen LGT and there isn't enough clearance on the crossmember (whatever I had to remove to access the steering rack) to screw the drat thing on.

Yeah, I'm going to need pictures. The drain plug should be pointing to the passenger side and angled down, trying to imagine how it could interfere with anything other than an undertray and I'm coming up blank.

Maybe they sent you the wrong model like others are saying ?

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I swear I'm not messing with you guys! I got an F105S. The valve actuator bit contacts the crossmember as it's being rotated; it would fit fine once installed. I'm moving into a house with an actual garage in a few months and will probably pop the crossmember off again the first time I change the oil there.

vvv I mean the housing nub surrounding the valve actuator vvv

Scrambles fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 24, 2015

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Scrambles posted:

I swear I'm not messing with you guys! I got an F105S. The valve actuator bit contacts the crossmember as it's being rotated; it would fit fine once installed. I'm moving into a house with an actual garage in a few months and will probably pop the crossmember off again the first time I change the oil there.

What if you move the valve actuator 90 degrees to open the valve? Would that let it clear the crossmember for install? Don't forget to close it back before adding the oil!

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

BloodBag posted:

I reefed on that fucker and it still weeps. It'll be fixed tomorrow.

/\ /\ /\

My TPMS is an rear end in a top hat and it blinks after about 10 minutes of driving. Usually after about 2 minutes on the freeway. It then stays solid, and then turns itself back off after about 15 minutes. I just ignore it. I think the blinking means a bad sensor. I have everything at precisely the right pressure. gently caress TPMS.

I have a 16 WRX, I had an issue recently with the TPMS, It came on but the tires were dead nuts on. On the way to the dealer it cleared. Popped up again a week or so later, again tires to spec pressure. Took it to the dealer. The service guy said the newer ones like 36 PSI all around. It's been less than week but so far so good. Slightly firmer ride but the difference might be my imagination honestly.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
An autocrosser I knew had a PVC pipe in his truck with all 4 TPMS sensors in it. Put as schrader valve on it and keeps it pressurized. I think it worked. I don't remember if Subaru TPMS detects rotation or anything.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

Frankenstein posted:

Late to the game but TPMS chat:

I have a second set of rims (and sensors) for my winter tires and use an ATEQ QuickSet TPMS Tool for swapping the IDs with the car. It's easily configured via software on a Windows PC. You can configure up to four vehicles, each with a set of summer and winter tires; once programmed you just plug it into the OBDII port and press the button that indicates which set you're installing. The caveat is you must know each sensor's ID. You can read the currently loaded IDs from the vehicle but you'll either need to scan the other set or record the IDs prior to mounting the sensors in rims. To scan the sensors, I use an ATEQ VT30 Reader. I've used this tool with both foreign and domestic vehicles with success. These two tools combined will allow you to manage TPMS tire sets.

This is what I do to manage the TPMS on my Subaru.

si
Apr 26, 2004
You can buy programmable sensors now. Program them to the same IDs as your primary set, and they will work when swapped without recoding in the future. Can repeat for as many as you need.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
2001 Subaru OBW with around 140k miles. Still using the original key fob and it became pretty unreliable a week or two ago so I replaced the battery and it started working again. However, in the last few days, the key fob has stopped working altogether so I pulled the spare one and it works great. Has the original key fob just run its course and I should just start using the new one I have?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

BloodBag posted:

Aww sunofabitch! I changed the oil on Sunday and now I have three seperate oil-pee stains where I've parked my car. I got under there and the drain plug is weeping oil. I guess I should have replaced the crush washer. There's a $45 mistake. Filled it with full synthetic :negative: Maybe I should get a fumoto valve, my wife's civic had one and it was pretty neat.

I had a similar problem on a diesel in a boat once. I plugged the PCV type stuff and duct taped a shopvac over the oil fill. It pulled enough vacuum I could remove the drain plug without all the oil pissing out, might be worth a try!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

2001 Subaru OBW with around 140k miles. Still using the original key fob and it became pretty unreliable a week or two ago so I replaced the battery and it started working again. However, in the last few days, the key fob has stopped working altogether so I pulled the spare one and it works great. Has the original key fob just run its course and I should just start using the new one I have?

Sounds like it's done. Open it up and see if there's anything obvious like corrosion or breaks in the antenna.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Midjack posted:

Sounds like it's done. Open it up and see if there's anything obvious like corrosion or breaks in the antenna.

I'll check it out when I get home. Interesting, I didn't realize that key fobs went bad but I guess it has been used for 14+ years and 140k miles.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You're supposed to rotate the battery every 50k miles.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Do any of you have any experience with the OEM Subaru cross bar set and ski carrier for the GR WRX hatch? It just needs to carry two snowboards, and it's so much less expensive than the Thule and Yakima options. I'm wondering if it's not worth saving a few bucks hundreds of dollars for a possibly grossly inferior product.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 28, 2018

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Any update on the weird 2014 Legacy+Outback oil issues? Mine will come on for a couple minutes if I'm at a traffic light for a few rotations, its under 45 deg F AND I'm over 6000mi since the last change. Dealer was wondering if something was wrong with me saying that it looked fine when I got the oil changed 2 weeks ago.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
2009 WRX non-modified; had the hill-assist and traction control lights come up without any prior trauma/accident/etc.
Looked online, did the DTC code hand-shake manuever and got a C-0071 steering angle sensor fault. Brought it to the dealer, who's now looking at it, quoting $350 + $200 labor.

While steep, I'm kinda SOL since I'm driving back to illinois from CA in a few days for work. Any comments? Thanks.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The sensor is almost trivial to change if you've got a torx 40 bit, a 17mm socket, and a Philips screwdriver. You can get a used sensor for much cheaper than that or Subarupartswarehouse has 20% off sales pretty regularly.

All it knocks out is the traction control I think, so it's not critical to get it repaired as quick as possible.

E: look up the procedure for changing the clockspring, the sensor is right there, clips into it iirc, although I don't think it's part of the clockspring when you're buying parts.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 28, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

AAB posted:

Any update on the weird 2014 Legacy+Outback oil issues? Mine will come on for a couple minutes if I'm at a traffic light for a few rotations, its under 45 deg F AND I'm over 6000mi since the last change. Dealer was wondering if something was wrong with me saying that it looked fine when I got the oil changed 2 weeks ago.

Currently at the dealership getting an oil change and starting a consumption test. What's your dip stick look like?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wife's 2007 Subaru Outback w/140k miles is shaking at highway speed and I didn't notice anything in the front suspension that seems off. Didn't seem like any play in the ball joints or tie rods. Is there a common failure that I should look at? Possibly control arm bushings? I'm going to rotate the tires front to back to see if that does anything, but she just got new wheels (corrosion around the bead, OEM ones wouldn't hold air :() balanced last week so I don't think it's a balance issue. It was there before the new wheels as well.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is it a thing that if you have the car pointed forward on a steep driveway, the fuel light will come on and not go away? Not sure if I have a leak or not, but the tank should have been ~half. i drove it for half an hour and it stayed on till I turned the car off and on again.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Could have a latch on the indicator circuit to avoid it turning on and off all the time when you're right at the transition point, usually you don't magically get more fuel in the tank unless you stop and fuel up.

Very steep driveway would slosh everything forward and I guess could be enough to have the float reach near the bottom of it's range.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Bajaha posted:

Could have a latch on the indicator circuit to avoid it turning on and off all the time when you're right at the transition point, usually you don't magically get more fuel in the tank unless you stop and fuel up.

Very steep driveway would slosh everything forward and I guess could be enough to have the float reach near the bottom of it's range.

Thought it would be that, was just annoying me that it didn't turn off until I turned the car off. The needles was stuck at a quarter

Probably should have filled it up and seen if it took half a tank to click.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Can anyone tell me if there's just too much mileage on this car for it to be a good deal?

http://www.stlacecars.com/2005_Subaru_Forester_Saint%20Charles_MO_260231088.veh

I'm under the impression that Foresters hold up pretty well.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
So I hooked my alpine ktp-445U. I ended up installing it under the passenger seat because I also installed a LOC that was way too big to fit anywhere near the HU. Still working out mounting but I'm really impressed with how much better the stereo sounds now. Unfortunately it's really exposed the limitations of the OEM speakers. I guess I have to start looking at replacement speakers now..... Down the rabbit hole we go!

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

Currently at the dealership getting an oil change and starting a consumption test. What's your dip stick look like?

Dipstick looked fine

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Larrymer posted:

Wife's 2007 Subaru Outback w/140k miles is shaking at highway speed and I didn't notice anything in the front suspension that seems off. Didn't seem like any play in the ball joints or tie rods. Is there a common failure that I should look at? Possibly control arm bushings? I'm going to rotate the tires front to back to see if that does anything, but she just got new wheels (corrosion around the bead, OEM ones wouldn't hold air :() balanced last week so I don't think it's a balance issue. It was there before the new wheels as well.

Check CV joints. They can cause weird speed dependent vibrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TheFargate posted:

So I hooked my alpine ktp-445U. I ended up installing it under the passenger seat because I also installed a LOC that was way too big to fit anywhere near the HU. Still working out mounting but I'm really impressed with how much better the stereo sounds now. Unfortunately it's really exposed the limitations of the OEM speakers. I guess I have to start looking at replacement speakers now..... Down the rabbit hole we go!

Are you using the LOC for the amp or for something else? The KTP-445U can take speaker level input.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

jamal posted:

Check CV joints. They can cause weird speed dependent vibrations.

Replaced fairly recently. The new ones shook the car at idle so I had the guy put in different ones that were supposed to be less lovely aftermarket ones. Who knows. I didn't notice anything amiss when I was under it, any real way to check them?

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins
Anyone decent at reading spark plugs? I had a misfire on cylinder 1 under spool-up with big load changes, pulled and replaced the plug. the one I removed looked like:

The white flecks on the threading were there when I took it out.

Just a rich misfire? I'm still getting misfiring, only much less severe and now detected on cyls 2 and 3 - wideband reads ~10.3:1 because of some weird quirks in the factory ECU commanding much richer fueling during fast-changing load conditions. Plugs are NGK iridiums, 15k miles old. Car is a 2009 sti

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Having owned my '07 STI for nearly two years and about 30,000 miles, I've come to the conclusion that it is pretty much the perfect car and all I want out of a vehicle right now.

So I'm going to sell/probably part-out my Miata (if anyone wants a sweet deal on a turbo setup, Konis, a Torsen, sweet stainless exhaust, etc. etc. etc. PM me) and put maybe $500 or so of the proceeds into the STI with a view to making it last forever (or as near as is practicable).

Currently the STI has 83,000 miles or so, and is stock outside of a Cobb intake, 3" catback, and a stage 2 off-the-shelf tune from Cobb. It has been unflinchingly reliable and burns no oil (I check it religiously every fillup and it has never budged, let alone needed to be topped up). Before I bought it I had a leakdown test done which revealed no problems. Paperwork indicates it had a new DCCD under warranty quite early in its life. It has been running Cobb tunes at least through the previous owner and quite possibly before that.

Assuming basic maintenance (Rotella every 3k, timing belts, and so on) where would this be best spent? I have a few ideas:

-- Gauges (oil pressure/temp, AFR (I have one of these in the Miata I would use), boost). Thinking here is that it would let me spot low oil/wacky lean/rich conditions or boost issues before they caused serious damage. I tuned the turbomiata myself without breaking anything, so I know approximately how to read that stuff.
-- An air/oil separator. I did not notice any oil in the intercooler last time I took it off, and I have low/no consumption, but I know these are somewhat prone to it.
-- A custom tune. I live in the wilds of WV and there is nobody local who would do it. so I'd be driving some considerable distance to get it done. Having had good results with the Cobb tune, I would want to make sure anyone laying hands on it had been around for ages and knew exactly what they're doing (and won't be fazed by a customer who walks in and says "I am more interested in safety/reliability than crazy numbers"). I would guess I'd probably need to budget for a Walbro if I went this route.

Thoughts/suggestions/criticism? I've read about oil pickup issues. Is that something I should be worried about?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The entire point of a subaru is to be a car that pulls low and is actually fun to drive, don't think you are going to get a tuner who knows Subaru who would turn you away for wanting a safe tune over an all high no low or mid dyno queen.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

saint gerald posted:

Thoughts/suggestions/criticism? I've read about oil pickup issues. Is that something I should be worried about?

I put a Killer B baffle and oil pickup into my WRX many years ago because I was regularly autocrossing. I don't know how often it would happen on the street.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

The entire point of a subaru is to be a car that pulls low and is actually fun to drive, don't think you are going to get a tuner who knows Subaru who would turn you away for wanting a safe tune over an all high no low or mid dyno queen.

Makes sense. Finding someone who knows Subarus would be the key.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I put a Killer B baffle and oil pickup into my WRX many years ago because I was regularly autocrossing. I don't know how often it would happen on the street.

Without the Miata I would probably autocross the STI every so often. Like, once or twice a year at most. A proper oil pressure gauge would probably give me some warning if the pickup did start to fail.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Actually thats something I forgot to ask about, if I go for a drive through the hills relatively often, do I need to be concerned about oil pickup? I was considering putting a baffle sump on when I pull the engine to do the clutch, but I don't want to just for the sake of doing it. I know the drifters have big issues with their sr20s so they do it, but I'm not sliding.

si
Apr 26, 2004
I've spoken with a lot of people on the oil pickup issue. It's rare that I've actually heard from anyone who had an oil pickup break that hadn't removed the oil pan at one point or another prior to it breaking. So, I'd say consider that before worrying about it. There are an awful lot of people who have complained about them breaking, and almost universally on street queens.

Out of everyone I've met who races a Subaru in Rally America or NASA RallySport, I have yet to meet one who has ever had a problem with the oil pickup breaking. To me that says an awful lot.

The DCCD thing is not too rare, it was pretty common for them to die around 40-50k of use. I have a suspicion that it directly correlates to people who like to leave it fully locked and drive around on the street.

si fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Working in a shop I saw quite a few broken pickups. Mostly seems to be the newer pan style, so 04+ sti, 07+ wrx, LGT.

One of these days I'll probably pick up a moroso pan and pickup. I don't get killer b stuff plus it's cheaper.