Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

moller posted:

Sounds like a cross between the 80's satanic panic and The Cask of Amontillado.

It's a great read, I'll give you that. I might sell movie rights somewhere down the line.

But having to restrict my temple, library and tavern to citizens only, due to a dumb mechanic that allows vampires to visit and jack-poo poo to be done in the way of preventative measures, gotta say it's not as fun as it sounds on paper.

Literally no way to screen visitors, no way to attack them and stop them. It's annoying as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Send them to play under a drawbridge, or drop them down a hole full of magma. There are plenty of ways to kill people without attacking them with soldiers, and the wonderful benefit of these is that they don't cause loyalty cascades.

Loopoo posted:

Can someone explain what a loyalty cascade is, exactly? I read up on it in the Wiki, but I'm still confused by it.
A loyalty cascade starts when one or more of your dwarves is flagged as an enemy of the civilisation. They remain a member of your civilisation though, so any action against them flags the attacker as an enemy of the civilisation. People automatically attack enemies of your civilisation. Treat it like an infectious disease that spreads through violence.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a loyalty cascade is what results from the idea that "attacking a member of the fortress makes you an enemy of the fortress" when you don't also have the rule that "becoming an enemy of the fortress means you aren't a member of the fortress"

basically:

1. urist1 punches urist2 in the nose. urist2 is a member of the fortress, so now urist1 is an enemy of the fort
2. urist3 walks by and sees urist1. urist3 immediately proclaims: "an enemy of the fort! kill it!" and punches urist1. urist1 is a member of the fortress, so now urist3 is an enemy of the fort
3. urist2 sees urist3. urist2 immediately proclaims: "an enemy of the fort! kill it!" and punches urist3. urist3 is a member of the fortress, so now urist2 is an enemy of the fort
4. urist4 walks by and sees urist2. urist4 immediately proclaims: "an enemy of the fort! kill it!" and punches urist2. urist2 is a member of the fortress, so now urist4 is an enemy of the fort

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Now fill the prison cell with molten silver.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Loopoo posted:

Can someone explain what a loyalty cascade is, exactly? I read up on it in the Wiki, but I'm still confused by it.

The reason I'm even asking is because I've currently got this situation in my Fort: a visiting Human Bard came to my Fort and ended up killing one of my citizens. However, as far as I can tell, the mechanic for visiting Vampires is bugged and doesn't show "<citizen> has been found dead and drained of blood!". I confirmed my suspicion (after reloading my save, since I lost a Legendary Dwarf to that bastard) by trapping the Vampire in my Temple and he survived for ages without needing food or water.

Now, here's where it gets weird. Whenever I order my militia to attack him, all my other dwarves go crazy and start killing each other. The second I issue the kill command and my militia gets within 10 tiles of the Vamp, all the squadmembers in the squad will try and attack each other, and all my Dwarves start killing each other too. I dropped from 65 pop to 52 in under 10 seconds.

Right now, I can't tell if this is a bug, some weird vampire / necromancer spell, or just a game mechanic I'm not well versed in. I got tired of reloading saves and trying to kill the Vampire (I tried everything, killing him in isolated locations, only sending one Dwarf up against him, no matter what I did, the outcome was the same) so I ended up convicting him of an old murder case and got him 200 days in prison, then I walled him in.

Know how World War One started? One rear end in a top hat blew up an Archduke, and all hell broke loose because everyone in Europe had treaties to join in any wars. Loyalty cascades work the same way--in Dwarf Fortress, if your friend is involved in a fight, you join in that fight immediately. So if you send seven dwarves to fight a vampire, and one of them likes the vampire, the instant anyone in the squad is within eyesight of the vampire (which initiates combat) everyone who likes the vampire or thinks it might not be an enemy attacks the dwarf who saw it first, then everyone who likes THAT dwarf immediately attacks the dwarves attacking your unlucky spotters, then everyone who likes any of the dwarves who liked the dwarves who attacked the vampire lover join in, yadda yadda yadda sudden total war.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Surely Tavern brawls don't always have to end in bloodshed? I mean, I get the concept of loyalty cascades now (thanks, guys), but if my dwarves can't sit around in the tavern, singing and having the occasional friendly brawl without it turning into genocide, I think I'm better off without a tavern.

Do taverns automatically designate fights within their zones as "harmless", or will dwarves genuinely kill each other over a thrown punch? I've got woodcutters and soldiers regularly visiting taverns. If they joined in with their weapons, it'd be a bloodbath.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
There are various levels of conflict with their own rules for what is allowed. If it's working properly, fistfights should probably stay at the "brawl" combat level, where only punches are thrown and people on the ground won't be attacked.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

"In a time before time I attacked me..."

Is this a bug or have a run into some kind of legendary Fight Club situation here?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Maybe he's drunk and making stuff up.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
In a time before time I attacked. Me!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I checked and it's on the bug tracker, but nobody has figured out the reason for sure. Some people guess that the creatures are jumping/crashing into obstacles after getting scared and this is somehow counting as attacking themselves. I don't know where "in a time before time" factors into that hypothesis.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
loyalty cascades are a bit more complex, as detailed in the wiki.

you cannot be a member of a group and an enemy at the same time. However! your dwarves are members of both a civilization, and your fortress. if they attack something that is only a member of one, they can be a member of your forts faction, and an enemy to your dwarves civilization, or vice versa, or both. if they're an enemy of both, killing them is okay. otherwise, you wind up with scrambled loyalties.

the bard likely counts as a member of only your fort or civilization, so trying to kill him results in one dwarf becoming an enemy of A, and those that attack him become an enemy of B, and so on. according to the wiki, any dwarf that kills a citizen ends up an enemy of A and B.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
anyways, to kill him, you can just tinker with your current saves raw files to add the [CRAZED] token to elves. this is the tag that causes werebeasts to fight everyone and not cause loyalty issues. it will make all elves hostile to everything except other elves and totally kosher to murder. never tried doing this myself, but it should work.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

He's a Human Bard.

So basically, when my Dwarves attack him, loyalty cascade happens because the Dwarven Civilization (which my Fort is directly part of) and the Human Civilization are allies? So the minute my Dwarves see my Commander attacking the Human Bard, all hell breaks loose cause of the loyalty to the Dwarven Civ + Human Civ alliance?

I've walled him in but I'm glad I didn't kill him. I captured one of my people as a Vampire a few months back and have him walled in a room. He's on the brink of insanity, so I might transport him to the room that has the Bard in it so they can talk and socialize and not go crazy. It's a win win, cause that way I get to keep my Legendary Weaponsmith Vampire!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If he's petitioned to join your fort and you said yes, that means he's a member of your fort and your civilization now.If you look at his details it should say what he is a current member of and a former member of.

Of course, vampires also tend to lie about these sorts of things...

Qubee
May 31, 2013

No, he didn't petition. He's just a visitor, here to listen to the beautiful poet recitals and also partake in a little blood draining on the side.

Sidenote: I really think vampire visitors being a thing is broken as gently caress and shouldn't be a game mechanic. Dwarf migrant vampires is fair enough, but visitors give you such limited options to prevent them draining the blood from one of your important people. At least you can loving screen migrants.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
That sounds like a "magma reservoir and floodgates" problem.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

dragon_pamcake posted:

That sounds like a "magma reservoir and floodgates" problem.

I've taken care of it, and it's handy he arrived. I've roomed him up with my resident legendary weaponsmith vampire. They should keep each other company and stop the onset of insanity.

Still though, having to resort to such dwarfy measures as magma for an issue that should be somewhat simple to resolve (militia, attack that scum!) is a bit annoying. It isn't "fun" or fun, it's just straight-up irritating. Especially since I've now stopped all visitors from coming to my temples, libraries and taverns, cause I just know this poo poo will happen again.

It's like that one time a necromancer visited and then I got attacked by a Megabeast. necromancer wanted to be a pal and help my fort out by chipping in some of his voodoo mama joojoo magic on the beast. Ended up resurrecting a dog that had it's head torn off by the megabeast. That head then proceeded to chomp on my soldiers and civilians. I lost 2 dogs to the megabeasts, and 7 dwarves to the necromancer. My guys wouldn't even attack the necromancer until I put a kill order on him, as he was still regarded as friendly. Oh, and I forgot to mention, upon attacking the necromancer, loyalty cascade kicked in as well!

Qubee fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 23, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

The cat messages are :kimchi:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Loopoo posted:

Still though, having to resort to such dwarfy measures as magma for an issue that should be somewhat simple to resolve (militia, attack that scum!) is a bit annoying. It isn't "fun" or fun, it's just straight-up irritating. Especially since I've now stopped all visitors from coming to my temples, libraries and taverns, cause I just know this poo poo will happen again.

This is Dwarf Fortress. The answer to every question is "magma." The solution to every problem is "magma." If whatever you're doing doesn't involve magma somehow you're wrong.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is Dwarf Fortress. The answer to every question is "magma." The solution to every problem is "magma." If whatever you're doing doesn't involve magma somehow you're wrong.

If the questions you're asking aren't "How can I solve it with magma???" you're asking the wrong questions. I should know better.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
As I said before, your problem could have also been solved simply by crushing him under a drawbridge. Or retracting out a bridge from under him and dropping him down a pit. Or hitting him with a high speed minecart full of serrated steel discs. Or releasing a pile of armed trapped goblins in his room.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pickled Tink posted:

As I said before, your problem could have also been solved simply by crushing him under a drawbridge. Or retracting out a bridge from under him and dropping him down a pit. Or hitting him with a high speed minecart full of serrated steel discs. Or releasing a pile of armed trapped goblins in his room.

The likelihood of him walking under a drawbridge and staying there long enough for a dwarf to pull the connected lever is ridiculously unlikely. Plus I'd have to stay following him for ages until he eventually walked under one!

Edit: oh you're talking about my dwarf citizen. He was never an issue, I just drafted him and stationed him in a room I locked.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i discovered the most bizarre loving conflict in creature tokens

a creature with CAN_LEARN or a token that implies it (INTELLIGENT) will never, ever use an interaction with USAGE_HINT:FLEEING

why is this a conflict :psydwarf:

i also learned [SLOW_LEARNER] is absolutely not a substitute for CAN_LEARN or some variation, since A. it doesnt cause this conflict, and B. a civ with SLOW_LEARNER dwarves will have your fortress crumble instantly on embark since they don't count at citizens, but that is besides the point

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Loopoo posted:

Surely Tavern brawls don't always have to end in bloodshed? I mean, I get the concept of loyalty cascades now (thanks, guys), but if my dwarves can't sit around in the tavern, singing and having the occasional friendly brawl without it turning into genocide, I think I'm better off without a tavern.

Do taverns automatically designate fights within their zones as "harmless", or will dwarves genuinely kill each other over a thrown punch? I've got woodcutters and soldiers regularly visiting taverns. If they joined in with their weapons, it'd be a bloodbath.

A human and a goblin got in a brawl last night in my fort. They wailed on each other for a while but in the end the human just crawled back to his room at the tavern and puked a bunch and the goblin went to my hospital with some broken minor bones.

RE: the vampire visitor, yeah that sucks but fwiw it seems like a one off situation with the loyalty cascade... My militia just slaughtered some visitors in my tavern and nothing went crazy.

I think we're missing something here because you said the militia went nuts before they actually even attacked the vampire and I'm pretty sure a loyalty cascade isn't going to get set off until something actually initiates combat. It sounds more like the bug/glitch I experienced a few days ago where a kobold was spotted and then halfway across the map in my tavern 5-6 people decided to just rage out and start killing anything near them for reasons that are still unknown to me.

And I know there can't be a loyalty cascade involving your civilization's allies because you can murder caravans/diplomats not belonging to your civ with your militia and it won't cause a loyalty cascade (unless maybe there's some foreigners in your militia with the new version).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 23, 2015

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

A human and a goblin got in a brawl last night in my fort. They wailed on each other for a while but in the end the human just crawled back to his room at the tavern and puked a bunch and the goblin went to my hospital with some broken minor bones.

RE: the vampire visitor, yeah that sucks but fwiw it seems like a one off situation with the loyalty cascade... My militia just slaughtered some visitors in my tavern and nothing went crazy.

I think we're missing something here because you said the militia went nuts before they actually even attacked the vampire and I'm pretty sure a loyalty cascade isn't going to get set off until something actually initiates combat. It sounds more like the bug/glitch I experienced a few days ago where a kobold was spotted and then halfway across the map in my tavern 5-6 people decided to just rage out and start killing anything near them for reasons that are still unknown to me.

And I know there can't be a loyalty cascade involving your civilization's allies because you can murder caravans/diplomats not belonging to your civ with your militia and it won't cause a loyalty cascade (unless maybe there's some foreigners in your militia with the new version).

The whole thing is fucky, I think it may just be a bug. I'm not sure if my militia commander "charged ferociously" at the vampire a few tiles away and then my citizens went batshit when they saw it (that's most likely what sets off the fighting, now that I think of it). Regarding the loyalty cascade, I think it is a one-off, cause I had two visitors who refused to leave, and when I ordered them killed, everyone kept their cool.

Here is the little shithead visitor vampire, chained up like the scum he is. Working in his forge is my citizen legendary weaponsmith vampire. I'm getting him to melt the crappy weapons I bought from caravans and make them legendary hopefully.

Once the visitor gets released from jail, I'm hoping these two fucks will chat and keep each other company. I even set up a little temple in the top left corner for him to pray in.

I saved my game before I built that room, and the vampire citizen escaped when I mistakenly forgot to forbid the doors. First thing he did was run down to a sleeping dwarf and suck them off.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think there should be a way to designate 'fort member only' areas to prevent that. Or a 'if guests are outside these designated areas then they are trespassing' rule with burrows or something. A tavern guest has no business in the residential areas. I guess a vampire wouldn't listen to your rules anyway but maybe then you could have a valid reason to arrest or kill him without having anyone be mad about it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I just wish the justice system had special options for vampires where you could banish or execute them.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Or you know whatd be better and more Toady? The civilizations have morals on what to do with vampires. Like they have preferences between execution, banishment, or life imprisonment.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Hihohe posted:

I just wish the justice system had special options for vampires where you could banish or execute them.

There's already a special justice for vampires, and it comes with a complimentary cask of Amontillado :colbert:

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
My last vampire mayor bled to death in a traction bench after serving his sentence of 400 days in prison and 80 hammer strikes for draining three of my dwarves, so the system clearly works.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
A giant mushroom destroyed my constructed floor, stranding my legendary miner in the first cavern. He was content to sit in the new well channel as it was flooding. :doh:

Later, I built a gem window out of two pieces of cut granite and one of cut chalk. If I'm reading the wiki correctly, the dwarves should be able to see through it, right?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

So Math posted:

A giant mushroom destroyed my constructed floor

Dwarven Nuclear Weapons Confirmed

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So Math posted:

A giant mushroom destroyed my constructed floor, stranding my legendary miner in the first cavern. He was content to sit in the new well channel as it was flooding. :doh:

Later, I built a gem window out of two pieces of cut granite and one of cut chalk. If I'm reading the wiki correctly, the dwarves should be able to see through it, right?

Yeah line of sight goes through a window.

If they see a goblin invader through that window they'll freak out as surely as if they were outside next to the thing, though.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
That's what I thought. I built it for laughs when I saw opaque materials on the build list. I'll just pretend it's ulexite for the sake of ~immersion~.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter; they'll still have line of sight through it. I could be wrong though.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When the carp grow legs, you'll be ready.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

So Math posted:

That's what I thought. I built it for laughs when I saw opaque materials on the build list. I'll just pretend it's ulexite for the sake of ~immersion~.

Those dummies at Yale built a structure with stone windows: http://beinecke.library.yale.edu/about/about-building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
How should I deal with were beast attacks? Bridge everyone who has been bitten immediately?