Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Time to do some hand exercises and bulk up your grip friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

butt dickus posted:

I've had my 6P for about a month and a half now and I'm still not used to it. Since I'm a Google Voice user I can switch to my 5 as soon as I get home. Removing it from my pocket and putting it back in is an ordeal now and I don't trust myself to do it with one hand. As a result, many times I've wanted to do something with it and had to wait or not bother at all because I didn't have a second hand available. I really hate the size because it's changed how I use my phone and not in a good way.
While I agree its big, going back to an N5 made me go "gah. It's sooo tiny..." also not in a good way. There is no winner in this race.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I'm enjoying the benefits of the 6P screen when reading and watching videos, but navigating poorly optimised websites is a massive pain, especially anything with back or menu buttons on the top left. I can still hit them holding the phone in one hand but it requires a little more dexterity. I have moved all of my homescreen apps into the bottom right hand corner. Typing one-handed is possible but slow. I don't feel like I'll drop the phone anymore and there's no issue with my pockets except when I'm bending over, when it can be little restrictive.

Going back to my N5 is amusing, it feels legitimately tiny. I've gone from a Samsung GS2 to the N5 to the 6P and this is the only jump up in size I feel has any real drawbacks that weren't immediately reconciled.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

butt dickus posted:

I've had my 6P for about a month and a half now and I'm still not used to it. Since I'm a Google Voice user I can switch to my 5 as soon as I get home. Removing it from my pocket and putting it back in is an ordeal now and I don't trust myself to do it with one hand. As a result, many times I've wanted to do something with it and had to wait or not bother at all because I didn't have a second hand available. I really hate the size because it's changed how I use my phone and not in a good way.
Obviously the solution to this is to get an Android Wear device.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mrit posted:

I just got my 250 dollar N6, upgrading from a N4.
First reaction: "Holy poo poo this phone is gigantic!"
To others who had big phone size shock: How did you deal with it? Did it take awhile to get used to?

I got a 32GB N6 on amazon for $199 on Black Friday and it's seriously the best 200 bucks I've ever spent on a phone. I love the hugescreen.

Hugescreen for life. I can't have a phone with a smaller screen now.

For the record, I am 6'3" and have big weird hands so going from my 5.2in Moto X to this was not a huge stretch.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Mrit posted:

I just got my 250 dollar N6, upgrading from a N4.
First reaction: "Holy poo poo this phone is gigantic!"
To others who had big phone size shock: How did you deal with it? Did it take awhile to get used to?

That was my first reaction too, coming from an HTC One (M7). It only took a few days to get used to the new size though, and now I don't think I could go back to a smaller phone.

I've found that one-handed use is kind of possible, with some deft hand/wrist movements and shifting the phone around in my hand. I don't really know what the complaints are about; I'm 5'6 and a girl (from wrist to fingertip my hand is about half an inch longer than the phone itself) and I've not had any problems using my N6 at all.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I went to a Nexus 6 from using a 2013 N7 tablet as my primary Android device (and a really tiny dumbphone as my phone) so it wasn't really a jarring transition for me.

I also recommend having giant monster hands like I've got. Honestly I don't think I could go back to a much smaller phone at this point.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've twice returned large phones after keeping them a couple weeks because I found zero benefit to them and significant downsides on ease of use.

Of course, I'm dumb and about to try it again by buying a 6P.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thermopyle posted:

I've twice returned large phones after keeping them a couple weeks because I found zero benefit to them and significant downsides on ease of use.

Maybe you could try stretching your tiny hands in a medieval rack? :blush:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/burger-king-c302861.html

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Captain Yossarian posted:

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

quote:

i have small hands, not due to a birth defect, they are just small. i often getr compared to the guy in this commercial. i think we should have a wolfpack together. our tribe name would be "small paws". me (as the chief) would be chief tinyhanns and yours would be young birthdefect.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Do I have small hands? I dunno, I think they're about average.

edit:

According to various Googled sources I have basically exactly the average hand length (7.44 inches) and average hand span (8 inches).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Thermopyle posted:

edit:

According to various Googled sources I have basically exactly the average hand length (7.44 inches) and average hand span (8 inches).

Same, I have no problems using my LG G3 or Edge+, it just took a little time to figure out how to balance the phone in one hand to use it one handed.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
What's the obsession with using the phone one handed all the time? I mean most of the time you should be able to regardless, but why is it a big deal to be able to type one handed, or hitting a less frequently used button in the far corner? I know there are some apps that are just poorly designed and have frequently used buttons in the far corner, but I don't run into too many of those.

I get personal preference and all that, but it just seems a huge concern for some people to be able to one hand everything and I don't get the use case really beyond that.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thermopyle posted:

edit:

Just busting your... Balls?

Seriously though, I'm just giving you a hard time. Some people's hands just aren't big enough.

I have never wanted to use a phone one handed in my life, so I guess I don't understand that need either

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

DemonMage posted:

What's the obsession with using the phone one handed all the time? I mean most of the time you should be able to regardless, but why is it a big deal to be able to type one handed, or hitting a less frequently used button in the far corner? I know there are some apps that are just poorly designed and have frequently used buttons in the far corner, but I don't run into too many of those.

I get personal preference and all that, but it just seems a huge concern for some people to be able to one hand everything and I don't get the use case really beyond that.

When I had an iPhone 5S, I texted one-handed constantly. It was useful when riding in a car or something, and theoretically saved me some time.

With my Note 5 I occasionally will use the one-handed operation if I want to shoot a text and am too lazy to use my left hand, but overall it's not a huge loss.

I can definitely see why it's useful but it's not crucial at all, at least for me.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

DemonMage posted:

Have you ever tried using your phone while doing anything else? Holding a drink or shopping bag, holding onto a handrail on public transport, etc. I don't think it's an obsession to care about usability in a reasonably common situation.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

DemonMage posted:

Casual use. One-handing a phone makes it easier to just quickly pull out and check on something.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah, I think I'd use my phone one handed about 95% of the time. It would poo poo me to have to use two hands for normal operation, and would be a massive deal breaker for me.

Also my z5 is awesome and I love it :). The store only had it in green so for my first phone in six years I don't have a boring black square (I hate using a case).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Same, I have no problems using my LG G3 or Edge+, it just took a little time to figure out how to balance the phone in one hand to use it one handed.

I can use them, it's just not as comfortable as with a 4 or 4.5 inch phone.

DemonMage posted:

I always use my phone one handed. I get no benefit I care about out of a larger phone. Phones becoming larger makes phones less comfortable to use for me or require me to change a habit ingrained after 25 years of cell phone use. I'm a fairly active person, I'm constantly getting in and out of vehicles and chairs...moving between locations. I'm often carrying stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of the time I use the phone for whatever, I would be inconvenienced in some manner if I have to have two hands to use it. I won't be walking and carrying and using my phone like a douchebag, but I will step to the side and use the phone one handed.

Like, I understand people like large screens, so I'm not saying manufacturers are loving up, but I am saying that for me, they're loving up.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Thermopyle have you considered the 5x instead of the 6p? Seems like you could save yourself the hassle if you already know you won't like it :)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Like, I understand people like large screens, so I'm not saying manufacturers are loving up, but I am saying that for me, they're loving up.

I do think it's one place where Apple is doing better. I might be mistaken, but the 6 and 6+ are fairly similarly specced I think, so you can get a good device for whichever fits your needs. Android on the other hand, as has been discussed many times, puts poo poo specs into small phones and then claims no one wants them. Which is real dumb.

I guess I use my phone one handed most of the time, but I'm always typing/gaming two handed. Casual stuff like looking at twitter, or web pages, or SA or whatever works fine one handed. My girlfriend on the other hand, can look at her phone one handed, but pretty much always needs two to really do anything with it.

I was just curious because I see people who look at a new device, declare there's no way it can be used one handed and then call it useless in this thread. Not because I never use the phone one handed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thermopyle have you considered the 5x instead of the 6p? Seems like you could save yourself the hassle if you already know you won't like it :)

Yeah, but I think it's ugly and it's still too big.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DemonMage posted:

I do think it's one place where Apple is doing better. I might be mistaken, but the 6 and 6+ are fairly similarly specced I think, so you can get a good device for whichever fits your needs. Android on the other hand, as has been discussed many times, puts poo poo specs into small phones and then claims no one wants them. Which is real dumb.

The 5X and 6P are specced relatively similarly, as are the S6 and whatever word soup the big Samsung one is called.

You could argue the 5X is itself too big, but the normal S6 isn't really any different to an iPhone 6/S

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Cool, have you tried an iPhone?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Iphone 6: 138.1 x 67 x 6.9 mm (5.44 x 2.64 x 0.27 in), 4.7" display
S6: 143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8 mm (5.65 x 2.78 x 0.27 in), 5.1" display
5X: 147 x 72.6 x 7.9 mm (5.79 x 2.86 x 0.31 in), 5.2" display

Yeah that's closer than I thought they were. Though I know people were bitching about the 6 being too big compared to the 5 (4.87 x 2.31 x 0.30 in), so I could see them feeling the same way about the good smaller Android phones. And the S6 is pretty much right in line with the original Turbo, the Turbo 2 is a bit bigger than the 5X. There's been more "smaller" good phones than I remembered.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

dissss posted:

whatever word soup the big Samsung one is called.

The... Note 5?

The S6 Edge Plus is a stupid name but it's not the main big one.

this_is_hard posted:

Boo.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

iajanus posted:

Yeah, I think I'd use my phone one handed about 95% of the time. It would poo poo me to have to use two hands for normal operation, and would be a massive deal breaker for me.

Also my z5 is awesome and I love it :). The store only had it in green so for my first phone in six years I don't have a boring black square (I hate using a case).
I ended up getting a Z5 compact for the same reason.
Coming from an ancient iPhone 4 it's barely any larger but has far more screen real-estate and is still easily one-handable in my tiny baby hands.

Got the boring black square but put it in a brown case because I'm the kind of monster that thought the brown Zune was a stylish consumer electronics device.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BottleKnight posted:

The S6 Edge Plus is a stupid name but it's not the main big one.

Yeah that's the one - at least where I am that is the model that gets all the marketing.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Thermopyle posted:

As someone who had a Moto X 2013 (RIP :( ), the 5X is totally doable one handed, but it is still ugly and has bad build quality.

Also the speaker is a level beyond bad.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

this_is_hard posted:

No, I've never heard of this "iPhone" you speak of.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Honestly I have average/tiny hands and it took me about an hour to get used to the Nexus 6Ps size and start feeling like every other phone i'd ever used was a child's toy. It took me a few weeks to feel comfortable using it one handed, but I don't really have any problems now. I think it helps a lot to have a good case, I got the Speck case and it's pretty boss. It's not for everyone for sure, but the size really isn't unmanageable even if you don't have giant hands.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I have been alternating between an Otterbox Symmetry and a Spigen Slim Armor for my Note, depending on what I am feeling like at the moment and whether I want a kickstand. Any other good case recommendations? I'm big on cases that make grip better.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Has google finished rolling out the OTA Marshmallow update for Nexus devices? Got my Nexus 6 , finished booting/updating and not getting prompt to download Android 6.0.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

starry skies above posted:

Has google finished rolling out the OTA Marshmallow update for Nexus devices? Got my Nexus 6 , finished booting/updating and not getting prompt to download Android 6.0.

It could take a couple days probably. FWIW, mine had the update available the same day I got it. Also make sure you're not on some carrier software version.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

What carrier are you on? FWIW, I'm on 6.0.1 already, but I'm on Cricket.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

System OTAs are persistent once they're offered unless revoked. If your phone checks and there's a software update for your build, it will download it. The Nexus 6 has some carrier fuckery to it so if you booted and updated it with the SIM card in you might not get an OTA to Marshmallow. I know AT&T blocked it and is still getting monthly security updates on Lollipop. The problem with that is that OTAs always go from specific build to specific build, not version to version, so if you installed a carrier update to, say, the AT&T December Lollipop security update then there's no OTA out there that will update that to anything. The paths have branched and you can't update to the latest software without AT&T's blessing or unlocking your bootloader and applying it yourself.

I can't imagine not unlocking a Nexus bootloader first thing out of the box for specifically this reason.

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005
Looks like my 6p is starting "twist" from being in my pocket. Just noticed it wobbles like a table with uneven legs when i place it on a flat surface.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Nexusgate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Don't sit on your phone, goon.