Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

When Dragon Warrior 1 came out my cousin got a copy for free from his Nintendo Power subscription. The grind everyone complains about was the core gameplay back then. We leveled up so drat far he could beat the Dragon Lord without using any healing.

How many of you can still get through the tunnel with the princess in it without using any torches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Boinks posted:

How many of you can still get through the tunnel with the princess in it without using any torches?

I can definitely do the princess tunnel without torches, and I used to be able to do the warrior's ring cave as well. That was my prime money grinding spot when I was young and dumb.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Boinks posted:

When Dragon Warrior 1 came out my cousin got a copy for free from his Nintendo Power subscription. The grind everyone complains about was the core gameplay back then. We leveled up so drat far he could beat the Dragon Lord without using any healing.

By the time that Nintendo Power promotion came out, I'd already beaten Dragon Warrior. So I impressed my parents by asking for them to front me the money for the subscription, and that I'd pay them back by selling the extra free game in the classifieds. And yeah, that tunnel is still burned into my memory.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
There was something cool about fighting enemies one on one in DW1.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

LorneReams posted:

There was something cool about fighting enemies one on one in DW1.

It was actually the first game I ever beat. :unsmith:

I remember feeling almost claustrophobic as the music got deeper and deeper in pitch as you descended into the caves, and Charlock Castle was way deeper than any of the other dungeons... and then the final level with the Dragonlord, and the music in that fight, and finally winning it. Good times.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Luceo posted:

It was actually the first game I ever beat. :unsmith:

I remember feeling almost claustrophobic as the music got deeper and deeper in pitch as you descended into the caves, and Charlock Castle was way deeper than any of the other dungeons... and then the final level with the Dragonlord, and the music in that fight, and finally winning it. Good times.

I still remember what a shock it was when the Dragonlord died...and changed forms. I know it's cliche now, but back then it was pretty surprising, especially if Dragon Warrior was your first RPG.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Nemo2342 posted:

I still remember what a shock it was when the Dragonlord died...and changed forms. I know it's cliche now, but back then it was pretty surprising, especially if Dragon Warrior was your first RPG.

Yeah! "Wait, what? That was eas- OH poo poo"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
A friend described the Dragonlord fight as "round one you beat him up and he uses Hurtmore/Healmore to try and keep up. Round two he beats you up while you try to stay alive with Healmore every other round."

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
How are people not recommending 8 to the guy who liked 9? 8 was the game that got me interested in the series again, and 9 was so great I maxed out every class available. It'd work just as well the other way around.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Lizard Wizard posted:

If I wanted to play my way through the Dragon Quest series, would you recommend the Super Famicom or GBC versions of I and II?

Gameplay-wise, they are exactly the same. I much prefer the SFC combo for the superior graphics and music. A heads-up about the english patch, though - don't stay in the Beran Inn with a full party (one or more can be dead). It triggers a side-quest that is apparently bugged and soft-locks the game.

Boinks posted:

We leveled up so drat far he could beat the Dragon Lord without using any healing.

I don't think that's possible, even at the cap (lv 30).

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ofecks posted:

Gameplay-wise, they are exactly the same. I much prefer the SFC combo for the superior graphics and music. A heads-up about the english patch, though - don't stay in the Beran Inn with a full party (one or more can be dead). It triggers a side-quest that is apparently bugged and soft-locks the game.

I don't think that's possible, even at the cap (lv 30).

Maybe my memory is wrong. I remember getting into his battle without any intention of finishing it. We thought that the save would be overwritten if you killed him and my cousin had let me borrow his copy but I wasn't supposed to beat it. I probably healed after the first form but I just remember hitting 'attack' on the 2nd form waiting for him to kill me, only I killed him first.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Boinks posted:

Maybe my memory is wrong. I remember getting into his battle without any intention of finishing it. We thought that the save would be overwritten if you killed him and my cousin had let me borrow his copy but I wasn't supposed to beat it. I probably healed after the first form but I just remember hitting 'attack' on the 2nd form waiting for him to kill me, only I killed him first.

It's a slow day at work, so I decided to work with this formulas FAQ to see if this was even possible.

The 2nd form of the Dragonlord has a 50/50 chance of doing either Strong breath for 42-48 damage (with Erdrick's Armor) or a Melee attack for 22-43 damage. At best, your hero is going to have 210 HP so you've got 5 rounds (if you're unlucky) to 10 rounds (if you're super lucky) for you to chip away at his 130 HP. If you have the maximum possible HP you should have 182 Attack (with Erdrick's sword), letting you do 20-41 damage per round, so you will need between 4 to 7 rounds to kill him.

So it looks like it could be possible, assuming you came into the 2nd form fight on full HP, but you're still going to need to be really lucky.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nemo2342 posted:

It's a slow day at work, so I decided to work with this formulas FAQ to see if this was even possible.

The 2nd form of the Dragonlord has a 50/50 chance of doing either Strong breath for 42-48 damage (with Erdrick's Armor) or a Melee attack for 22-43 damage. At best, your hero is going to have 210 HP so you've got 5 rounds (if you're unlucky) to 10 rounds (if you're super lucky) for you to chip away at his 130 HP. If you have the maximum possible HP you should have 182 Attack (with Erdrick's sword), letting you do 20-41 damage per round, so you will need between 4 to 7 rounds to kill him.

So it looks like it could be possible, assuming you came into the 2nd form fight on full HP, but you're still going to need to be really lucky.

Nice

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Hurtmore should do more damage on average than attacking, provided you have the MP to spare for it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hurtmore should do more damage on average than attacking, provided you have the MP to spare for it.

Hurtmore has a chance of failing though (a 93% chance if the faq is right), whereas the Dragonlord can't actually dodge melee attacks.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Can Hurtmore crit? I don't remember spells critting.

It seems that in my last playthrough of DQ1 in the SFC version I was able to do the final form without healing, but I may not be remembering correctly.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There has been an interesting program going around for a while now that takes a DW1 nes rom and edits it to one of 10,000,000 seeds that changes the location of items, dungeons, towns, monsters, and randomizes spells for your character and monsters. It also increases XP gains to make the game less grindy.

Pretty fun, someone who is a "high skilled" dragon quest player can go through it in about 2 hours on a good seed.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is this tool available somewhere? Maybe a website?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
This should do it
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1147/

vvv yeah, use that one vvv

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 1, 2016

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Trying to get this to work but opening the .exe just causes the command box to crash, and running the .bat spits out a rom without any changes. Running Windows 7 Ult x64.

E: Found another randomizer that works for me, seems to work a lot like the other one. Dunno if it's the same author or a different program inspired by the romhacking one.

https://github.com/mcgrew/dwrandomizer

iastudent fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 30, 2015

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Thought I'd share some thoughts from trying out the DW1 randomizer the other night (the github one).

First seed, chests in the throne room were Erdrick's Token, a herb and the requisite magic key. Also the cheapest weapon I could find was a hand axe (560 gold) and Red Slimes were early game murder machines with Sleep and Hurt.

Second seed, I get to Kol in its usual spot and search the tile where the Fairy Flute usually sits.

"Thou has found Erdrick's Armor." :getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That randomizer could give you a seed that's impossible to complete couldn't it?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

iastudent posted:

Thought I'd share some thoughts from trying out the DW1 randomizer the other night (the github one).

First seed, chests in the throne room were Erdrick's Token, a herb and the requisite magic key. Also the cheapest weapon I could find was a hand axe (560 gold) and Red Slimes were early game murder machines with Sleep and Hurt.

Second seed, I get to Kol in its usual spot and search the tile where the Fairy Flute usually sits.

"Thou has found Erdrick's Armor." :getin:

:laffo: Well, that's a good way to get people to try the randomizer.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

:laffo: Well, that's a good way to get people to try the randomizer.

Keep rerolling until the best sword, armour and shield spawn in the throne room. Best seed ever

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

That randomizer could give you a seed that's impossible to complete couldn't it?

If you know the game well enough and have enough persistence, you should be able to find a way. The randomization aspects are limited to a degree to keep a game from being unwinnable.

In addition, the github randomizer guy is beginning to experiment with map generation, could prove interesting.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
"That randomizer could give you a seed that's impossible to complete couldn't it?"

I would like to think so, but I'd also like to think that anything is possible in RPGs like this.

I really want to try this randomizer thingy out now.

EDIT: Oh wow, the Stones of Sunlight in the very first room of the game, holy poo poo! ...oh wait, now I have no money and nothing to sell. Let me fight a random loving Droll right outside the castle with my fists and yep I'm dead time to reseed. This is like playing Binding of Isaac as the Lost.

EDIT 2: I love this loving thing, second one gave me 120g in the first room, Cantlin right next door, bought two keys and went straight to the vault and then to the castle cellar. It's now a dungeon. :getin:

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 9, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just catching up on the thread and FAU can that guy that doesn't like dqv on the last page catch a ban or something? what a numbskull

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
This randomizer, when you put it into ultra random mode, is insane. Right outside of Tantegel I'm getting nailed by Drollmagis, Bluedragons, and Tearwolves. :cry:

EDIT: As cool as this is I'm running into an issue where I can't get properly equipped right at the start of the quest and I'm being murdered by the tiniest of creatures. Blue Slimes are suddenly a threat because I keep constantly leaving Tantegel Castle and having to fight everything with my fists while naked because the town that replaces Brecconary is only selling poo poo I can't afford, or only offers the Club. It's fun, but I can't even get outside of the immediate area.

This is for pro players only for sure.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 10, 2016

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
The Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow 2DS bundles in Japan are going to be around $130. Probably going to get one for Theaterhythm Dragon Quest and the DQM remake.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

DQ BUILDERS looks pretty amazing from the few Twitch streams of the demo that have gone up. I will be dumbfounded if this doesn't make it west; it's a more focused third person Minecraft with objectives and DQ music/enemies/items/whatever. I want to build a hamlet and get graded on the quality of my wee homes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played the demo and its fun and cute. I will probably play it if it comes to the States.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, I'm watching it right now, and the minecraft formula translates really well into dragon quest... or maybe the other way around. Don't suspect there's going to be a PC release even if it does make its way to the west, sadly. Maybe I'll check it out for PS3 though. That is apparently an option.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I'm really enjoying the demo so far. It feels more focused on your interactions with NPCs and creating a home for them, so in a sense I think this game feels like a kind of Minecrafty Harvest Moon or something. I don't feel as alone in this as I do in Minecraft, so I suspect that this will appeal to quite a few people who maybe couldn't get into Minecraft as much.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's what it was! Very harvest moon like.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sounds great

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Can you only build stuff in towns?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

You can build stuff outside of towns; there are stumps that you can use as the most basic crafting table. I'm not sure how much you can craft outside of towns, though, or whether you can start new towns without the game telling you to.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Does the DQ Builders demo stream well from the console? Or would I have to use an external device to get to it?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

When I pressed the Share button it actually went to the share screen as normal. While I didn't go any further than that, that usually means you can stream, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I streamed it perfectly fine using the share stuff. If you download it on your JPN account you can switch back to the US account and still play it if you want all the system UI to go back to English or your language of choice.