Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yes, that is a thing that happened. It's part of that new Touhou magazine that came out in October I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Is there a translation, the wiki only has the Japanese text.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I too would like a Translation, I hear it has Cool and Good Things to say about Reimu, who is Cool and Good.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
That's at the top of my list to translate when I have free time. Hopefully it'll happen before the next ice age.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I did a translation of the new CoLA. I put it on tumblr for some reason.

I guess I could put it on the wiki, but I don't feel like it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

leather fedora posted:

That's at the top of my list to translate when I have free time. Hopefully it'll happen before the next ice age.

Clarste posted:

I did a translation of the new CoLA. I put it on tumblr for some reason.

RIP leather fedora

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I appreciate the efforts of all translators, though. You guys are great

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Eh, I still want to do my own. No joke, Touhou and Kourindo especially is why I got into translating at all, so it's kinda important to me.

Edit: Although if Clarste's work ends up on the wiki, I'll probably just edit that so I can move on to some untranslated interviews.

Edit 2: or not!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, I'm not putting it on the wiki because I don't want it to be the definitive version, so that's fine with me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sumireko is the brattiest teen.

I like her a lot.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Jeez Sumireko, your in high school and your already making the same rants as my parents. Besides, she should be the last person complaining about people using their phones being in their own little world considering that she ignores everything around her, goes to sleep, and literally goes to her own little world.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Again with the dreams. It's Lotus Land Story all over again. Violet Land Story.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

El Burbo posted:

Jeez Sumireko, your in high school and your already making the same rants as my parents. Besides, she should be the last person complaining about people using their phones being in their own little world considering that she ignores everything around her, goes to sleep, and literally goes to her own little world.

Sumireko is filled with terrible ideas and opinions. Not just with the whole spending all her time in Gensokyo because she thinks she's far superior to regular human beings but also she tried to kill herself and blow up Gensokyo after getting hella pranked by Mamizou. She's the best. :allears:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

"I'm not like those other shut-ins with no friends"

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

El Burbo posted:

"I'm not like those other shut-ins with no friends"
A goon through and through.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Modding Conquest of Elysium is fun

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Question for the backstory aficionados out there: what does it mean that Ran has Yukari's surname? I don't think they're supposed to be married, so does it imply that Yukari adopted Ran as her daughter? Or is it something else? Or nothing at all?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

FractalSandwich posted:

Question for the backstory aficionados out there: what does it mean that Ran has Yukari's surname? I don't think they're supposed to be married, so does it imply that Yukari adopted Ran as her daughter? Or is it something else? Or nothing at all?

Ran's PMiSS profile says "Ran Yakumo" is Yukari's name for her and her real name is unknown.

And Yukari basically treats her as a (voluntary?) slave (and weirdly, like a robot/computer, which I've never really seen leak through into any fanworks). In any case, I always get the impression that in canon they don't see each other as equals or as "family" like fanworks tend to portray them (or if this portrayal has a more canon basis, I can't think of where).

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Yeah, the "familiar = computer" setting really gets glossed over in fan works, not to mention Ran suitably being a mathematical whiz.

I guess Yukari naming her is just like when people name their terminals/hard drives.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Of course, Yukari is even better at math.

But yes, ZUN's repeatedly made the joke that computers are technological shikigami, and Yukari doesn't seem all that friendly to Ran. Actually, if you perceive them as a family then it's almost worse, because Yukari apparently likes to beat her up with an umbrella.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
In that case, think about the computers you use yourself - how much you rely on them for productivity, communication and entertainment, and how much personal or confidential or just plain embarrassing information you have them handle every day. If Yukari is a real power user, then Ran is even closer than family - she's an extension of herself.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

If Yukari is a real power user, then Ran is even closer than family - she's an extension of herself.

That's basically what shikigamis are, at least in Touhou. That's why they're stronger when they're obedient to their master and conversely lose power if they don't follow their orders to the letter.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Yukari sometimes tries to discuss philosophy and worldviews with Ran, but she gets disappointed when Ran tries to reduce her answer to a logical and/or mathematical reply.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It means that she's part of the household.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The Yakumos are a family.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Ran gets thrown around by Yukari in Imperishable Night.
At least, that's what it looks like to me when I play.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

She's also a projectile in IaMP.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 22, 2015

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So is Chen in SWR.

But yeah, Ran got the poo poo kicked out of her for fighting in PCB's extra stages when Yukari told her not to. Aya wasn't particularly happy to hear about that.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
bringing tidings of clownpiece... c89 is coming!

I'm excited.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx0nKa5xkZM

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

It looks like there's going to be a new three fairies manga starting serialization next month.

https://twitter.com/comptiq/status/680048581131112448

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Simulacra posted:

It looks like there's going to be a new three fairies manga starting serialization next month.

https://twitter.com/comptiq/status/680048581131112448

Yessss

I love the semi-serious tone of FS and WaHH but I also really like relaxed shenanigans of idiot fairies.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I am ready for the endless clownpiece of c89

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

What If clown piece meets the three fairies #whoa #wow

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
All my favorite musicians are skipping C89 except for CarrotWine. Dang. :(

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

El Burbo posted:

What If clown piece meets the three fairies #whoa #wow

The Four Fairies of Light.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hey there was a new PV for the sealing club fanime

http://youtu.be/lgTdxCwhjOw

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

El Burbo posted:

Look at all those OCs.

I hope this fanime has more Renko and Merry then this trailer suggested though, because although they're probably just going to be used as a framing device for other stories I think the sealing club is very cool and I was excited that people were making a fanime about them.

Also, the guys making it did a short video about ULiL, which is pretty neat because it has a doofy ghost in it.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

El Burbo posted:

Pretty neat. I've also seen the latest generation of Touhou M1 Grand Prix is apparantly out, but haven't found an English sub yet for us filthy gaijins (featuring Sakuya and Koakuma, with Sakuya looking appropriately pissed at having to partner with a mere midstage boss).

In the meantime, some random Touhou Xmas poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCfDgF5UD0s

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Too bad no one's going to translate the fairy manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Clarste posted:

Too bad no one's going to translate the fairy manga.

:smith: