Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it actually worked great, the music kinda stuttered every 15-30 seconds for a half second or so but I think that might just be because I use an ipad 3 which is getting kinda long in the tooth, I played for a little bit the other day on my iphone 6 and it didn't have any problems.

This was on local network though, I don't know how well it would work over the internet, depends on your connection I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah it actually worked great, the music kinda stuttered every 15-30 seconds for a half second or so but I think that might just be because I use an ipad 3 which is getting kinda long in the tooth, I played for a little bit the other day on my iphone 6 and it didn't have any problems.

This was on local network though, I don't know how well it would work over the internet, depends on your connection I guess

I used an iPad 1 and it was fine for it, totally smooth. Its entirely the network, even LAN.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Hm weird, my router is supposed to be really good and I was never far away from it, wonder why it chopped occasionally

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Hm weird, my router is supposed to be really good and I was never far away from it, wonder why it chopped occasionally

What else was going on on the network? Netflix or something else like that? :nsa: on your REDACTED maybe?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nothing really, we were about to go to bed so I think my wife was just reading stuff usually

My computer is connected to the router through Ethernet and my iPad was maybe 30 feet away on the same level of the house with full signal, I really don't think anything was going on with the network, especially since it did run better on my phone. I think it was either splash top being buggy or my iPad not keeping up or something.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I just started rewrite last week and it's a very good vn so far. It has good production values and it's funny and has awesome music.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

oblomov posted:

I really got into VNs (well, really is a relative term) after Steins;Gate since that was pretty much amazing. Before I played 999/VLR (very much recommend them), Ace Attorney (great) and Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2 (1 was better) plus P3/P4 have some VN parts I guess.

So far most VNs I got post Steins;Gate and the above list are kind of crappy. Cho Dengeki Stryker was meh (although it was at least amusing). Analogue/Hate Plus were meh. If My Heart Had Wings was fairly bad. So I have Clannad and WAS on my Steam list right now plus Muv-Luv through kickstarter (have high hopes for this one). Oh, Kira Kira was pretty good because of the music (played iOS version) and I picked up Deardrops & db vs Deardrops bundle sequels to it from mangagamer (that site... my eyes). Cherry Tree Comedy Club was short, kind of meh, but also amusing.

I am not sure if that counts but 80 Days and 39 Steps are highly enjoyable if not quite the same VN format. So are Sorcery Games (iOS/Android) and King of Dragon Pass (iOS/Android/PC). These are all more akin to "Choose your own adventure" but still are close enough.

Oh, and on Higurashi. That art makes my eyes bleed, I am going to skip that one.

Edit: I have been eyeing G Senjou Mao and Grisaia on Steam but the first one's art is off-putting and the latter I saw a few anime episodes and immediately stopped watching.

If you skip Higurashi I will slay you.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Do any of you cool cats who know way more about Higurashi than me know if Miotsukushi-hen is a thing that we'll ever see in English?

I wanna see the supposed far better ending arc than the actual ending arc :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Doubtful, but I really don't think it's necessary either. Matsuribayashi has its issues for a few parts but the actual capital E Ending of it is plenty satisfying.

The changes that Miotsukushi made always sounded like they just retreaded a bunch of plot threads that were already plenty resolved in the previous three arcs. Plus doesn't it not have the "puzzle pieces" segment? That had so much important back story!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Anyone familiar with whatever this is? It showed up in my feed when I was filling up the Backerkit stuff for MuvLuv. "Category: Chunibyo, comedy, highschool romance, moe, vampires." Those sure are some words.

It also seems like VN translation is now a crowdfunded thing, which is probably not bad per se considering the niche audience.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Anyone familiar with whatever this is? It showed up in my feed when I was filling up the Backerkit stuff for MuvLuv. "Category: Chunibyo, comedy, highschool romance, moe, vampires." Those sure are some words.

It also seems like VN translation is now a crowdfunded thing, which is probably not bad per se considering the niche audience.

Never heard of it but it has good ratings on vndb and no warning sign tags.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Niche might be overgeneralizing it a bit but fitting reward tier title. I'd say closer to people who have too much :10bux: everyday.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alder posted:

Niche might be overgeneralizing it a bit but fitting reward tier title. I'd say closer to people who have too much :10bux: everyday.

Yeah, there's always an insane reward tier and at least as many crazy people who buy all the slots.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Steins Gate is 19.99 for a physical Vita copy on Amazon. I think it's been $40 till now.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Steins Gate is a good game as long as you are willing to throw away like 15 hours on the bad parts to get to the really good parts

IMO it's worth it

I REALLY like the last half of stein's gate

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 28, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I even like the first half, the one people constantly say "oh, yeah, it drags on, and it's bad, and I hate it". All the science explanations, all the ridiculous dumb things Okabe would do, all the little details that are just right on how an online community centered around a message board works, I loved every bit of that.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean I dunno it was sort of intriguing but I really wanted them to get on with it and wished Okabe was not such a creep (it's a LOT more tolerable if you play it again because you know more of what kind of person he really is when poo poo gets real but you have no idea about any of that at first)

I honestly don't know if I would have played it all the way through if people in the Vita thread hadn't said it's very slow, stay with it, it gets a lot better but I'm glad I did at least, it was my second favorite game this year after Undertale

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i'm gonna back the kickstarter for the english version of Root Double (it's not up until Jan 5 or something)

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
Thanks, everyone who recommended Code:Realize. I bought it a while ago but only got the chance to play it over my holiday vacation and it has the distinction of being the only otome game I've played so far that didn't have a single route that completely creeped me out (though St.-Germain's went to some bad places before resolving pretty well). Unfortunately, I then proceeded to start Amnesia: Memories, and I'm dragging up this perfect reflection of my own feelings about the routes:

dmboogie posted:

Urgh. I've been playing through Amnesia: Memories after getting it for a buck back in the Steam Thanksgiving sale. It certainly wasn't my favorite VN ever or anything, but I was enjoying it. Ikki's route had a pretty decently sized helping of standard otome creepy poo poo in it, but it was never too terrible and was neat overall. Kent's route was legitimately pretty great. Then there's loving Toma.
Kent's route was definitely the best. I especially loved that, in the normal/good ending, Kent doesn't have to give up on his dream of going abroad just to stick with you, the Bland Otome Hero. Also, it felt like a relatively mature story about two people learning to communicate instead of the craziness of some of the game's other content. I'm kind of not sure why I continued on through the other dudes' routes. I started Toma's story not knowing anything about his loving dog cage ughhhhh. Had I known that it was an actual, unavoidable part of his route and not something from joke reviews, I would've avoided it altogether. I also definitely got the bad ending first time through because every response I made to him was "what the gently caress are you doing? what the gently caress am I doing? STOP."

Playing Amnesia helped to solidify some of the praise I had for the way C:R handles its routes/endings. Amnesia's bizarre "blindly pick a route right at the start before you meet anyone or know which path you might want to go down" route-selection gimmick was, I guess, fitting for a character who wakes up unable to remember anything, but it also landed me on Toma's route first of all. I really prefer it when there's a common route followed by a branching point, and I also didn't love the way some of the responses that gave you more "points" toward a dude's good ending in Amnesia seemed so arbitrary--I much preferred the way that C:R's branches either led to interesting glossary tidbits or just quickly ended in a bad end. Amnesia also badly needed some chapter-select or scene-skip options, but of course those wouldn't play well with the way endings are determined.

Are there any other English otome games out there that place as much focus on the world/story as C:R? (And maybe also have gameplay closer to choose-your-own-adventure than dating-sim?)

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 7, 2016

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well I don't think it has much gameplay beyond choices but Hakuouki is generally hailed as being a Really Good otome game with a story that pulls in players of every gender and interest.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

I played the first release on PSP and liked it pretty well: that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Is it worth getting the PS3 version for the extra content?

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

Amaryllis posted:

Are there any other English otome games out there that place as much focus on the world/story as C:R? (And maybe also have gameplay closer to choose-your-own-adventure than dating-sim?)

I always recommend Sweet Fuse: By Your Side because the protagonist is amazing and actually yells at the boys when they are idiots. There's *some* game play where you solve logic puzzles and the choices you make are more "choose your own adventure" which eventually lead down someone's route.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

theonlypie314SA posted:

I always recommend Sweet Fuse: By Your Side because the protagonist is amazing and actually yells at the boys when they are idiots. There's *some* game play where you solve logic puzzles and the choices you make are more "choose your own adventure" which eventually lead down someone's route.

To be clear that is a game mechanic. Whenever the villain is an rear end and/or the love interests say/do something particularly dumb, Saki has the option to yell "What's wrong with you?!" at the offender and berate them until they stop their foolishness. More often than not, this is the best course of action.

There is one love interest who turns creepy in his route. Not coincidently, Saki yells at him more than anyone.

Definitely worth checking out. My only issue with it is that on repeat playthroughs, the routes are mostly the same for the first 3 chapters. Still, that's what text skip is for I suppose.

Edit: Missed this:

Amaryllis posted:

I played the first release on PSP and liked it pretty well: that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Is it worth getting the PS3 version for the extra content?

The PS3 adds a bunch of unlockable side stories in which the Shinsengumi are transported to, get this, A MODERN JAPANESE HIGH SCHOOL! Can you believe it!?

In all seriousness, I'd stick with the PSP version you have. That said, if you like high school AU's and can find it cheap, by all means get the PS3 version.

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 8, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nyeehg posted:

Whenever the villain is an rear end and/or the love interests say/do something particularly dumb, Saki has the option to yell "What's wrong with you?!" at the offender and berate them until they stop their foolishness. More often than not, this is the best course of action.

there's exactly 1 point in the entire game where it's not the correct decision and that one time just skips a cg

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Yeah, I'm not sure I care enough about the wacky high school shenanigans AU to re-buy Hakuoki. (Though I would probably double-dip if the main storyline was expanded at all, or if they released the Vita version in English. It's been a long time since I last played it: I got it shortly after it was released here.)

theonlypie314SA posted:

Cool! I've had that on my "get this on sale" list for a while, but I always seem to miss the sale window and/or think twice about it. I can't wait to yell some sense into a bunch of anime hunks. :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sekaiproject/root-double-before-crime-after-days-xtend-edition

The kickstarter for Root Double exists now

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What's that and why are you excited about it? Legitimately curious.

vvvv :confused:

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 8, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

What's that and why are you excited about it?

Infinity staff members

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Infinity Series guy+Zero Escape guy (and Secret Game guy which I didn't know but which is totally awesome and makes sense when I think about it)+Bravely Default guy.

That's a really good combination right there.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

General consensus in Japan on Root Double from what I've read is that it's one of the best VNs to come out since Steins; Gate so I have high hopes for it. I'll probably try it out after I've finished Higurashi.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Now that sounds good. I think I'll back it.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I've been reading through Clannad (steam release). It's really good, which isn't surprising considering its popularity. To be clear: I've never seen the anime, and went into the VN blind.

So far, I actually sobbed during Fuko's route, and literally fell on the floor laughing in Kotomi's route (during the scene where she recommends the Bible as a book for Tomoya to read). Though the other routes that I've played were simply OK I guess. Ryou's was the worst, because it was literally Kyou's route but you stop halfway through. My ranking so far is:

1) Fuko
2) Kotomi
3) Kyou
4) Nagisa
5) Tomoyo
6) Ryou

Will definitely be trying to finish before I go back to college in a couple of weeks.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 11, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That sounds about right, most people would probably have a similar order though I remember liking Tomoyo a lot more. As a FYI due to CLANNAD's extremely obtuse route structure you are going to have to go through Tomoyo's again once you finish Misae's because they put her light orb at the very end of Tomoyo's for some reason. I think the other major one is that you want to do Fuko's before Nagisa's (if you've lost a light orb at any point during Nagisa's route then you are all set, otherwise you'll probably take care of it when you do the old man teacher's route since it is 99% the same as Nagisa's).

Its got its technical annoyances like above and the artwork is from old Key which is an acquired taste at best, but I'd still say that top to bottom CLANNAD is the best work they've done.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hi thread I just grabbed Steins;Gate in a certainly futile effort to keep myself from throwing too much money at the RD kickstarter. Is there anything I should know going in? And uh....what's the rewind/read previous text button (on the Vita)?

Also is there any news at all about the Infinity series getting re-released in English? Every once in a while it seems there's some rumor about a Steam release that really gets my hopes up before not actually amounting to anything.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

And uh....what's the rewind/read previous text button (on the Vita)?

There are two button layouts. It was Triangle in the one I used, no idea about the other one.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Apparently on mine Square opens a menu that allows you to view the backlog. I swear I tried that last night but maybe the prologue has some restrictions on it.

Anyway now I'm a few minutes into chapter 1 and I really like pretty much everything about it so far, even the art seems interesting.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you like it even in chapter 1 it's pretty safe to say you will love the game

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

It kind of got buried under a setting update, but the Root Double Kickstarter just updated their tiers. New items include a mug, a t-shirt, and a messenger bag. They'll release further updates with pictures.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

R-D probably won't get funded :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Hey they've still got 22 days to go, don't be such a negative nancy.