Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
The hero of new year's eve is back, Hideo Tokoro is coming to prevent Rizin from being a total disaster. He's fighting Kizaemon Saiga, who you may remember if you watched latter day K-1 as the boy band looking guy who made fun of his pale, big-nosed Korean opponent for being "ugly" and then lost a 30-24 decision after getting liver punched to death by said Korean.

Saiga's now 2-0 in MMA but that's nowhere near enough experience when you're fighting a guy like Tokoro. However, there's still intrigue because Tokoro is both wild and chinny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1R0dqJTG5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
It's always cool to see Tokoro fight.

Also, here's Gabi Garcia talking as little about her opponent as possible and sparring with Cyborg -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIDvX5Wxajg&hd=1

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fatherdog posted:

It's always cool to see Tokoro fight.

Also, here's Gabi Garcia talking as little about her opponent as possible and sparring with Cyborg -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIDvX5Wxajg&hd=1

The effects testosterone have had on her face are just staggering. Someone pls photoshop Vitor's terrible crucifix haircut onto her.

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

Triticum Guzzler posted:

from the archives:

Play it backwards and you almost have a spicy combo of Rothwell/Browne making mad moves.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
He confused the other guy so much that he didn't follow up, smart move from Jaideep

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

ONE FC'S new weight system seems interesting.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/12/23/10658048/following-death-of-fighter-one-fc-unveils-new-weigh-in-program-to posted:

1. Athletes must submit their current walking weight and daily training weight regularly. Athletes will input and track their daily weight online via a dedicated web portal. Athletes may input data weekly but must include daily weights.

2. Athletes will be assigned to their weight class based on collated data and random weight checks. Athletes are not allowed to drop a weight class when less than 8 weeks out from an event.

3. During fight week, weights are checked daily. Urine specific gravity will also be checked the day after arrival and 3 hours prior to the event. Athletes must be within their weight class and pass specific gravity hydration tests all week and up to 3 hours before the event. If an athlete falls outside the weight, or fails a test, they are disqualified from the event. Doctors may request additional testing at their discretion.

4. Catch weight bouts are allowed. However, the athlete with the higher weight will not be heavier than 105% of the lighter opponent’s weight.

5. ONE will conduct random weight checks on athletes at our discretion.

6. Athletes may petition to change weight classes outside of the 8-week competition zone and must be within their new desired weight at that time. In addition, athletes must pass a specific gravity urine test when their weight is within the limits of the newly petitioned weight class. ONE doctors can request additional testing to determine the amount of weight drop allowed over a specific time.

7. The usage of IVs for the purpose of rehydration will not be allowed.

Overage and limits of weight reduction:

· 3 weeks to event day: Athlete must be within contracted weight class

· 4 weeks: 1.5% bodyweight over max

· 5 weeks: 3%

· 6 weeks: 4.5%

· 7 weeks: 6%

· 8 weeks: +6% max over.

(ONE Chief Doctor may approve up to +/- 0.5% maximum error in any weekly weight check)

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

ONE FC'S new weight system seems interesting.

that seems like so much work and contains so many spots for fights to fall apart

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
How the gently caress is ONEFC going to afford this

Like, if you were actually serious about eliminating weight cutting this is probably the ideal way to do it, but where are they getting their money from that they can throw it at something with this much administrative oversight/work

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Why not just do regular weigh ins the day before, then do a weigh in right before the fight and if you are more than 3% over the weight class limit or whatever you get fined 50k. That seems cheaper

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

david carmichael posted:

Why not just do regular weigh ins the day before, then do a weigh in right before the fight and if you are more than 3% over the weight class limit or whatever you get fined 50k. That seems cheaper

That'd be easier and would give the illusion of cracking down on weight cutting, but would likely only encourage fighters to fight more dehydrated than it would curtail extreme weight cutting, which is of course also very bad. This at least keeps them involved in monitoring fighters' weights from several weeks out, before and during the time they'd presumably be cutting weight, in an attempt to keep them at their actual walking weight through the process and up to fight time.

I agree that probably doesn't happen though because that's a very expensive and still largely honor-based babysitting service.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Hopefully it doesn't completely blow up in their faces and somehow goes completely smoothly so this can eventually be a realistic option for the UFC.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lauzon already tweeted a 6 minute video in which he details all of the problems with the proposed system.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If you came in super dehydrated because of same day weigh-ins or w/e would that not cancel out your size advantage if the other guy came in closer to his natural weight?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

If you came in super dehydrated because of same day weigh-ins or w/e would that not cancel out your size advantage if the other guy came in closer to his natural weight?

I don't know what degree of impact it would have on your direct fighting ability but it'd make you a lot more prone to being knocked out and having a serious brain injury, which is presumably something promotions and commissions would prefer not to happen on their watch.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

That'd be easier and would give the illusion of cracking down on weight cutting, but would likely only encourage fighters to fight more dehydrated than it would curtail extreme weight cutting, which is of course also very bad. This at least keeps them involved in monitoring fighters' weights from several weeks out, before and during the time they'd presumably be cutting weight, in an attempt to keep them at their actual walking weight through the process and up to fight time.

I agree that probably doesn't happen though because that's a very expensive and still largely honor-based babysitting service.

You wouldn't be able to maintain that level of dehydration over 20 hours, and also you wouldn't be able to rehydrate and cut again in that time frame

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

david carmichael posted:

What about instead the day before the weigh-in and the day of the weigh in?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

you wouldn't have a size advantage, because you'd weigh the same +-3% on the day of the fight

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Some of the Sheep posted:

What about instead the day before the weigh-in and the day of the weigh in?

stupid/brave people would try to stay dehydrated for the 24 hour period then replenish, or dehydrate then replenish slightly then dehydrate again then fully replenish. and then people would still die, perhaps more frequently

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

even though onefc's system won't be the silver bullet that ends dangerous weight cutting practices, i'm glad someone somewhere is trying something

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Apologies if this was covered anywhere, but how do we watch Rizin? I've heard it's being broadcasted on Spike on tape delay, but when? Also, is there any way to watch live? Also how the hell are both they and Enoki both running shows at Saitama on NYE?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

david carmichael posted:

stupid/brave people would try to stay dehydrated for the 24 hour period then replenish, or dehydrate then replenish slightly then dehydrate again then fully replenish. and then people would still die, perhaps more frequently

Really, the problem is that someone is always going to try to game any system that's put in place, even if that system is trying to prolong their health by minimizing the brain damage risk from dehydrating. The rational response is to just have a lower walking-around weight and cut less for the fight, but someone will always be looking for that weight advantage.

Like even if the had a weekly weigh-in throughout a fighter's camp, they'd probably still do mini-cuts before the weekly weigh in so they could then cut more weight before the fight. Shouldn't the IV ban be enough, since it seems like they're erring on the side of caution with rehydration.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Thauros posted:

Apologies if this was covered anywhere, but how do we watch Rizin? I've heard it's being broadcasted on Spike on tape delay, but when? Also, is there any way to watch live? Also how the hell are both they and Enoki both running shows at Saitama on NYE?

IIt's probably best not to watch the first night, just give it a miss, it doesn't count anyway and is barely cannon.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thauros posted:

Select matches will be aired on Spike on Tuesday and Thursday. Fuji TV will air it live in Japan, maybe it'll be on streaming sites, but I wouldn't expect anything worthwhile to hunt on Night 1

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I want to see the Sakuraba fight even though I realize that it'll probably be depressing.

Oh, and Inoki's running at Sumo Hall NYE and not Saitama which explans how there can be two NYE shows.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if all it took was one guy dying on the mat to make fight camps revise how they do weight cuts, I'd be all about the fight day weigh ins. OneFC's historical weight tracking thing seems a lot better.

I'd also like to see more fight orgs make camps agree to some type of fighter safety during training accords. Having to do late replacements because some gym hero decided to wreck an advertised fighter is silly.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rizin is a total poo poo show. It'll be great, I'm very excited.

If you're in the mood for low level B-League MMA, there is a card just starting in Russia, headlined by Jeff Monson vs some Cameroonian without a Fight Finder profile. Looks like there's 6 fights on the card. Not sure if sharing a link would count as :filez: but if you hit me up on my Twitter (@forkboy84) I'm sure I can help you.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Read an article earlier today stating that JT only trained for 2 days for his Rizin fight with TK :ohdear: Willie make me feel okay about this bro

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

forkboy84 posted:

Rizin is a total poo poo show. It'll be great, I'm very excited.

If you're in the mood for low level B-League MMA, there is a card just starting in Russia, headlined by Jeff Monson vs some Cameroonian without a Fight Finder profile. Looks like there's 6 fights on the card. Not sure if sharing a link would count as :filez: but if you hit me up on my Twitter (@forkboy84) I'm sure I can help you.

Fights happened. You can see Monson's fight on Youtube. It doesn't last even a minute before The Snowman gets flattened with a big one punch KO.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Is Monson sponsored by JNCO or what

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
He's really self-conscious about his thighs. Also: capitalism.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Road FC is going to be implementing an unlimited points scoring system:

quote:

A) 1 point awarded for each:
Clear connecting strike (legal punch, kick, knee)
Successful takedown
Achieving full mount or back mount position
Clear control in ground position
Near submission
Clear aggression

B) 5 points awarded for each:
Clear connecting strike (legal punch, kick, knee) that knocks down opponent
Slam that causes damage

C) 5 points deducted for each yellow card penalty (per referee)
Use or attempted use of an illegal technique
Second strike to the groin, intentional or non-intentional
Deliberate attempt to halt bout

D) 2 points deducted for blue card penalty (per referee)
Deliberate failure to engage in striking
Deliberate stalling in a grounded position by holding

Wanna see how some old fights look with that point system.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Does the ref signal when a clean strike happens like how wrestling refs signal back points? Or do the judges just guess based on what they saw?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Ok so I actually rewatched DC vs Gus and scored it with this system using a pen and paper. This amounted to me desperately looking up and down and just winging it for some of the big flurries, and probably not realizing a bunch of strikes were blocked, slipped or outright missed.

Not accounting for Gus' running away as a foul, since Herb didn't warn him about it or anything, I got: (DC-Gus)

Round 1: 37-7
Round 2: 26-28
Round 3: 36-38
Round 4: 26-30
Round 5: 46-26
Total: 171-129

Using fight metric stats with significant strikes/takedowns/passes at 1 point, DC's huge slam in round 1 and Gustafsson's knockdown in round 3 both accounted as 5 points:

Round 1: 21-5
Round 2: 28-28
Round 3: 36-37
Round 4: 31-37
Round 5: 31-18
Total: 147-125

So uh good luck to the judges because keeping up with that poo poo is hard. Although, isn't what I did how some judges already keep track of their scores? But that was a fun little exercise, and that fight was still real dope on a rewatch. Also DC's clinch uppercuts own.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Getting the back with both hooks in is worth the same as a jab.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I look forward to the good and not at all incompetent or corrupt judges issuing single points for each "clear aggression" integer they register, so Diaz-Condit type fights score like six trillion for Diaz entirely based on wading forward and like 400 for Condit based on actually landing strikes effectively.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It turns out all of those judges who thought Leonard Garcia won fights by aggressively swinging at air were right.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbX9G2oVKfU

herb dean putting in work. also the following is the stupidest heavyweight fight i've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeekxPIabek

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Both cool

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
also even though i know he's sub-usa kickboxing heavyweight level, hyun man myung has been beating up fat guys in mma and looks like he might fit in at bellator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqmQPlDqQYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om8Bz1r3TIo

the remaining participants in this tournament of dreams are: hong man choi, mighty mo, really fat chinese guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Catching up on RoadFC and