Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

After watching this a second time with the family, I really have to say that so many things from cinematography to editing to shot composition and what I guess could be called mis-en-scene, pacing, aesthetic and lighting and even just the general 'tone' of the whole thing, really, seems exactly like a Marvel movie. On a raw stylistic level there really doesn't seem to be anything separating this from the 3-4 other soulless capeshit flicks Disney pumps out each year.

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

jivjov posted:

The rank and file grunts are never a "dire threat" to protagonists.

Just like Kylo!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I'm trying to think of a memorable shot from this movie and the only thing that really comes to mind is that final shaky low quality helicopter panning shot that looked like something from the training sequence in a lovely early 90s action movie because I'm still somewhat in awe that that happened. I guess that is a little different stylistically, but in a bad way.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The star destroyer blocking out the planet was cool.
And the shots of Rey next to the crashed Star Destroyer.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I'm trying to think of a memorable shot from this movie and the only thing that really comes to mind is that final shaky low quality helicopter panning shot that looked like something from the training sequence in a lovely early 90s action movie because I'm still somewhat in awe that that happened. I guess that is a little different stylistically, but in a bad way.

As much as I thought the actual scene was a rushed mess from a story perspective, the whole First Order Rally / Starkiller base blowing poo poo up sequence was at least pretty to look at. I thought the final forest fight was remarkably well shot as well.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Let's be honest: JJ Abrams has only ever been capable of directing shapeless, heartless two hour long products devoid of any sincerity or message instead of actual films. He's easily one of the most deeply insincere people in Hollywood(e: yes, yes, even more than Tim Burton), which if you think about it puts him really high up in the list of most insincere people in all of recorded history.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Smoking Crow posted:

the cgi dude was bad but isn't as bad as the prequels because it isn't shot entirely in george lucas's bluescreen hellscape

Neither were the prequels.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Is Han Solo not a protagonist or something?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Did you miss the part where he captures and torture/interrogates two of them, kills one, and critically wounds another?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

zen death robot posted:

Right he used green screens too

As well as plenty of sets, miniatures, etc.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I thought a lot of the stuff on Jakku was memorable. I guess maybe not the shots themselves, they were just pulled out shots of SW wreckage, but still pretty visually arresting. The fight with the Millennium Falcon on Jakku also seemed well shot and edited, at least I thought; it was a high speed dogfight through star destroyer ruins but I was never confused by the geography of the fight.

I'm not good at noticing this type of thing the first time around though, so I'll have to rewatch and pay attention. Of all the stuff JJ gets crap for, being visually boring/cookie cutter is usually not one of them, so I'm confident it's as good as I remember.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Let's be honest: JJ Abrams has only ever been capable of directing shapeless, heartless two hour long products devoid of any sincerity or message instead of actual films. He's easily one of the most deeply insincere people in Hollywood(e: yes, yes, even more than Tim Burton), which if you think about it puts him really high up in the list of most insincere people in all of recorded history.

jivjov posted:

As well as plenty of sets, miniatures, etc.

There weren't any moments in TFA that stood out to me as "These actors aren't really here, they aren't actually looking at anything, there isn't anything to physically touch on this set, they're just standing and talking in front of a pretty background"

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Augus posted:

There weren't any moments in TFA that stood out to me as "These actors aren't really here, they aren't actually looking at anything, there isn't anything to physically touch on this set, they're just standing and talking in front of a pretty background"

Nice counter argument my man. I feel totally different about Brian Singer now.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I mean JJ Abrams. Sorry I'm always getting tepid gutless superhero movie directors mixed up.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

jivjov posted:

1) Kylo was already wounded, and 2) he didn't hold his own for much longer than those 2 seconds.

Well fair enough I guess. So long as nobody in the audience has the faintest clue about fencing.

wait, wait, I know... Kylo was toying with him. That makes more sense. It's the inner struggle between light and dark side.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I mean JJ Abrams. Sorry I'm always getting tepid gutless superhero movie directors mixed up.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Abrams is generally pretty strong with visuals and that continues here- the colors are nice and intense with a heavy focus on the red/blue contrast from pretty much the start of the movie, the whole bit with the suspended bolt is inspired too. The action sequences are a bit messier than the norm for the series but not to the point that they're hard to follow. (Basically the spaceship action needed better choreography and I think some more variation in ship design might have helped.)

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Pretty much sums up JJ.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Super 8 had sincerity up the wazoo, Trek '09 had an infectious enthusiasm that papered over the dodgier story bits, even Into Darkness had that whole "Starfleet as the military industrial complex" angle.

Like sure he's no Ridley Scott or anything, but I think he done well here.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I do miss truly memorable shots in movies, they're getting harder and harder to come by. I don't have any issues at all with the tone though. It's more modern, and it should be.

There are certainly some ways this movie doesn't "feel like Star Wars"; in fact I may even go so far as to say it "feels like Star Wars" even less than The Phantom Menace. But in another way, by aspiring to simply be a good action movie, I think it's the most Star Wars-y movie that can possibly be made these days. Because the original Star Wars was just a good action movie.

Or maybe I'm just rationalizing, I dunno. Only seen it once.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I really liked Super 8 but Ive only seen it once and besides the ludicrous train crash sequence everything I remember most clearly is pretty obviously Spielberg's influence over JJ's.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

net cafe scandal posted:

I really liked Super 8 but Ive only seen it once and besides the ludicrous train crash sequence everything I remember most clearly is pretty obviously Spielberg's influence over JJ's.

I'm sure Abrams was consciously attempting something in the Spielbergian spirit, but doing that right is not easy and I think he managed it well.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The crashed Star Destroyer scene was pretty memorable, very evocative of the airbrushed environments in a lot of early fantasy, and it gave a great sense of scale in IMAX.

The shot of the Millenium Falcon being consumed by the terrifying behemoth ship's maw was pretty great.

Ignoring the CGI quality, the scenes where Kylo and Hitler are speaking to Snoke do a great job of immediately conveying their subservience to him without using any words.

The entire forest fight was gorgeous, tense, and memorable. I'd go as far as calling it TFA's Trench Run scene in terms of what moment from the film will be remembered first when thinking about it.

The effects work on the water could have been better, but the overall shot of the rebel ships flying in over the ocean was fantastic.

I'd have more, but again, only seen once so far, and typing on a phone sucks.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Super 8 felt like a sad and hollow attempt to bring the corpse of pre-daddy issues Spielberg back to life.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Abrams is generally pretty strong with visuals and that continues here- the colors are nice and intense with a heavy focus on the red/blue contrast from pretty much the start of the movie, the whole bit with the suspended bolt is inspired too. The action sequences are a bit messier than the norm for the series but not to the point that they're hard to follow. (Basically the spaceship action needed better choreography and I think some more variation in ship design might have helped.)

I feel that the entire ship sequence could have been vastly improved with some more characterization of the other pilots; as is Poe's the only reason I cared.

The "BUT NO DAMAGE!" line was hilariously bad. I cant decide if I love it or hate it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I will say that I've watched the film three times and every single time I kinda just blanked through the part where Poe blows up the Starkiller core or whatever. By which I mean, I don't even register that he's successfully crippled the superweapon until after the scene is actually done. ANH was really good about showing the audience the exact parts of the final mission where Luke was failing vs the parts where he was succeeding. TFA needed to be clearer about which times Poe (and his team's) multiple ongoing pew pew explosions were supposed to be ineffective and which times they were supposed to be the money shots.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

The "BUT NO DAMAGE!" line was hilariously bad. I cant decide if I love it or hate it.

:love:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I will say that I've watched the film three times and every single time I kinda just blanked through the part where Poe blows up the Starkiller core or whatever. By which I mean, I don't even register that he's successfully crippled the superweapon until after the scene is actually done. ANH was really good about showing the audience the exact parts of the final mission where Luke was failing vs the parts where he was succeeding. TFA needed to be clearer about which times Poe (and his team's) multiple ongoing pew pew explosions were supposed to be ineffective and which times they were supposed to be the money shots.

I agree. I can't remember anything about the narrative of the air forces other than the part where one ship goes inside (somehow) and wrecks stuff.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The only ship combat scene I can remember in distinct detail was the Milenny Falcon vs the TIE fighters.. probably because they made the Falcon so fun to watch.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
That scene where Poe shows up and chains together a monster kill out of nowhere was pretty great.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I want a name for this Stormtrooper who just throws aside his weapons like he's in Power Rangers and goes up against a lightsaber 100% no fear where's his Wookiepedia article already.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sir Lemming posted:

My only real complaint was the final space battle, if you can call it that. (Clearly Abrams has a bit of a fetish for space ships doing stuff on planets instead of in space.) The final saber fight was great. But the destruction of Starkiller didn't really give us anything comparable to, or better than, either Death Star sequence. I think it was written well enough, with the more character-based "ground" mission complementing the larger-scale ship attack. But it lacked something in execution. I didn't really feel anything when it blew up.

I had meant to reply to this before, but missed it. But I think the duel between Kylo Ren and Finn, and then Rey was definitely meant to be the "trench run" setpiece of the film. The literal trench run on Starkiller Base was more so a narrative backdrop component for the duel, if that makes sense. Like there the primary emphasis was on the duel since it's Rey's story, so maybe that's why the destruction of the base felt so secondary. I know exactly what you mean, I'm just having trouble articulating what I want to say properly, hah.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Jewel Repetition posted:

I agree. I can't remember anything about the narrative of the air forces other than the part where one ship goes inside (somehow) and wrecks stuff.

None of their attack runs disabled the weapon. Only after Chewie detonated the explosive charges, creating an opening, was Poe able to fly inside and blow it up.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Through all the x-wing battle scenes my most positive reaction was "welp, that'll make a really cool rogue squadron game".

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
This probably has been said already, but I felt really iffy about the protagonists slaughtering all those stormtroopers like it was nothing.
Finn especially, they are the only friends and family he has known and he's just murdering them left and right with no remorse.
It's dumb.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Now you're just being childish, get over being proven wrong. It's ok.

Monglo posted:

This probably has been said already, but I felt really iffy about the protagonists slaughtering all those stormtroopers like it was nothing.
Finn especially, they are the only friends and family he has known and he's just murdering them left and right with no remorse.
It's dumb.

Did you like A New Hope? Finn essentially had his own awakening too; he grew a conscience.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

[edit] whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Monglo posted:

It's dumb.

It was pretty funny when Finn freaked out over his first combat deployment, only to later turn around and pewpewpew blast the hell out of his former friends and colleagues on board the Star Destroyer.

• Locked thread