Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
We were on Horn of Magnus last night and I was on bleedout health holding a tome and a grimoire. Made it all the way to the escape elevator and then the pubbie decided he needed to use his blunderbuss to shoot the rats harmlessly collected above us.

We lost the tome too because it clipped through the elevator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

So I've been snatch dusting with pubs lately it's not as hard as its cracked out to be. It does absolutely require more defensive posturing because as far as melee goes it's actually pretty tough to one shot things... The 2h hammer requires two normal blows

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So accumulating weapons is just pure chance and therefore a bit of a grind, right? I've gotten a few weapons from the three matches I've played but two were things I already had (generic blunderbuss) and one was for a different class

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Well its not pure chance. Things are weighted - so you'll see more stuff for your current character on the loot table than not, you can play on higher difficulties to roll on a better table, etc. But at the end of the day yeah you can do everything right and still get a poo poo green for the Elf or something.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mendrian posted:

Things are weighted - so you'll see more stuff for your current character on the loot table than not

Not true since the DLC. You need to be using one of the purple trinkets to slant drops toward one character now.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Not true since the DLC. You need to be using one of the purple trinkets to slant drops toward one character now.

Pretty sure (but not 100%) this is false. Those trinkets specifically call out use with the altar.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Mendrian posted:

Pretty sure (but not 100%) this is false. Those trinkets specifically call out use with the altar.

Go back and check the patch notes, they specifically mentioned transitioning the increased odds to the trinket.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mendrian posted:

If you read it they say that's what they do; they are used at the altar to craft poo poo and to skew your drop chances.

It used to be you'd get more drops for the character you're playing, but they moved that to the trinkets, so you can play the witch hunter and try to get wizard drops.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

John Dyne posted:

If you read it they say that's what they do; they are used at the altar to craft poo poo and to skew your drop chances.

It used to be you'd get more drops for the character you're playing, but they moved that to the trinkets, so you can play the witch hunter and try to get wizard drops.

Okay fair enough. I can fess up to being wrong. Thanks for the info.

But do we know that if you don't wear one, it means it's totally random or is it just a mechanic to allow you to get drops off-class on purpose?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Seems to be totally random without the trinkets.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

John Dyne posted:

Though I call bullshit on the old system based on the amount of wizard gear I have.

Moot point now.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It seems like the weighting occurs only some of the time. Sometimes I'll see a disordered mess and other times there will be hammers up to my eyeballs.

This, of course, does nothing to stop you from rolling another hagbane.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Played Black Powder on nightmare yesterday, with an elf that spent the whole game ineffectually sniping from one of the roofs and occasionally being snatched by packrats. Eventually I ask him to contribute instead, and he immediately ragequits. He was the host, so the rest of us were disconnected. gently caress elves.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Mine is when Kruber is hurt and he says "I order you not to die, Sergeant". He sounds so genuinely concerned.

I particularly like the the one where he and Kruber have a conversation about Kruber's family all being dead, and he tells Kruber to forget about them and focus on revenge. Kruber tells him that he is, and Saltzpyre praises him for his devotion to duty in how quickly he put aside his family. He genuinely does not seem to notice or understand why Kruber sounds furious in his next line.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there some kind of visual setting that will make everything "pop" more? I've only played a few rounds so far but my chief complaint is it feels like they put "looking like Warhammer" ahead of quickly and effectively communicating the game state. Worst offender for me is the goddamn elf is a hunchbacked shrouded figure that I instinctively shoot every goddamn time because she looks like a rat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

...the goddamn elf is a hunchbacked shrouded figure that I instinctively shoot every goddamn time because she looks like a rat.

You should be doing this regardless :cheeky:

Well, there's a setting that'll outline your teammates all the time; it's pretty handy since this is a melee game and everyone will be in the thick of it nearly all the time.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there some kind of visual setting that will make everything "pop" more? I've only played a few rounds so far but my chief complaint is it feels like they put "looking like Warhammer" ahead of quickly and effectively communicating the game state. Worst offender for me is the goddamn elf is a hunchbacked shrouded figure that I instinctively shoot every goddamn time because she looks like a rat.

I'm usually playing the elf so it's the dwarf who throws me off. When things are hectic or I'm looking out the corner of my eye I end up just looking for anything that's shorter than a person, and Bardin fits the bill.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I just got this last night. The whole 'L4D' thing is immediately obvious, but I like it a lot. I tried the gunkata witch guy first, and I think I like him the most. Just something about shooting rats in the face is very satisfying to me. One question though: If I want to play with goons, are you guys mostly in the CTS voice chat? I ask because I have no mic.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Put the outlines on Always On. Crucial for keeping the elf and dwarf alive on nightmare.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sokani posted:

Put the outlines on Always On. Crucial for keeping the elf and dwarf alive on nightmare.

This is such an important thing that I don't know why it isn't defaulted.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dorf seems fun. I felt like the most effective thing I could do other than general purpose killin' dudes was stepping in front of the group on a wave, holding out the shield and then shoving back a ton of guys in one go. Is that pretty much his job?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Dorf seems fun. I felt like the most effective thing I could do other than general purpose killin' dudes was stepping in front of the group on a wave, holding out the shield and then shoving back a ton of guys in one go. Is that pretty much his job?

If you charge attack with the shield you punch 'em with it, and you can pop those off REAL quick.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Grondoth posted:

If you charge attack with the shield you punch 'em with it, and you can pop those off REAL quick.

Shoving rats down on their asses with charged shield attacks is the true path to being a master midget.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shields make you think you're supposed to shove a lot but it's actually all about the charge attack.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Precisely that. Don't go for blocks or shoves, use your charge attack. The charge attack deals damage and it has the added benefit of making rats fall or stumble so even better.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I wouldn't say not to block. It's pretty common to end up in a situation where a rat is swinging and you're not quite sure if you can charge attack in time (especially with lag), where it's safer to be defensive and then destroy the rat after blocking. Right after a block is one time when I will do a shove with a shield too, since it's a much faster way of disabling rats from neutral than charge attacking. Of course after that shove it's back to charge attacking forever.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
This game is awesome as a first impression, just got it from a friend as a result of the xmas sale. Anyone have super secret tricks for Witch Hunter or general gameplay? I've gone through two matches and did great on the first but the second was rough.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

HogX posted:

I just got this last night. The whole 'L4D' thing is immediately obvious, but I like it a lot. I tried the gunkata witch guy first, and I think I like him the most. Just something about shooting rats in the face is very satisfying to me. One question though: If I want to play with goons, are you guys mostly in the CTS voice chat? I ask because I have no mic.

There's also the Steam group Goonintide that I am hoping gets re-populated after folks pick this up in the sale.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

But Not Tonight posted:

There's also the Steam group Goonintide that I am hoping gets re-populated after folks pick this up in the sale.

Yeah, I've been trying to remember to get in there when I'm on, and it's pretty lonely in there.

Incidentally, anyone up for hopping on mumble? Got three and looking for a fourth.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Small page for schluesselschloss. Looks like it will be updated in 3 days.

http://updates.vermintide.com/release/schluesselschloss/

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

This game is awesome as a first impression, just got it from a friend as a result of the xmas sale. Anyone have super secret tricks for Witch Hunter or general gameplay? I've gone through two matches and did great on the first but the second was rough.

You want to play as defensively as you can while not getting bogged down. The number of rats you have to kill in a game is much greater than the number of times they have to hit you to down you. You've got three main defensive tools, the block, the shove and the dodge. I don't believe there is any invincibility associated with the dodge so it's mostly to help strafe around groups without getting hit, or help move with the timing of slow weapons like the two handed hammer. Shoving is your standard L4D :frogout: move, but it's limited by stamina so don't get carried away with it. Shoving is best for when you can't tell exactly how many rats a swing will hit (since it's very important that your swings stagger every rat who could potentially hit you).

Regularly glance at your back and sides to make sure no rats trickle in from offscreen and hit you.

Blocking works 360 degrees around you.

Charging an attack for the minimum length of time does exactly the same damage as charging until the game makes you release the attack. Holding any longer than what it takes to do a charge attack is purely a timing thing.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 27, 2015

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

HogX posted:

You can afford a PC powerful enough to run this game, which costs $30, but can't buy a $10 mic?!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In payday 2 I never saw anyone in CTS mind if a player couldn't talk but was in the channel to hear others' communications

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah listening is a lot more important than talking most of the time

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

In payday 2 I never saw anyone in CTS mind if a player couldn't talk but was in the channel to hear others' communications

No. 6 posted:

You can afford a PC powerful enough to run this game, which costs $30, but can't buy a $10 mic?!

both of these things are true

I mean yes, being able to hear voice comms is incredibly valuable and you should get into CTS with goons regardless. Just mute yourself so people using the overlay can know what's up.

Also, I have been on skype with 60 year old grandmothers from Kenya and Guinea who got a mic and figured out how all that poo poo worked. Goons who live in unlit basements have no excuse.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i am a powerful elf maideness.

whats the difference between difficulties? more rats or tougher rats or both?

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Up Circle posted:

i am a powerful elf maideness.

whats the difference between difficulties? more rats or tougher rats or both?

Rats both have greater health pools and will deal more damage on attacks. Normal starts you with a healing draught, which is not present in Hard and up. You may have less life on being picked up at higher difficulties.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
how much more damage are we talking? is it like l4d where skavenslaves do 1/5th of your hp per hit on the highest difficulty?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Coolguye posted:

both of these things are true

I mean yes, being able to hear voice comms is incredibly valuable and you should get into CTS with goons regardless. Just mute yourself so people using the overlay can know what's up.

Also, I have been on skype with 60 year old grandmothers from Kenya and Guinea who got a mic and figured out how all that poo poo worked. Goons who live in unlit basements have no excuse.

Eh, I'm one of those weirdos that had a mic but I don't like using it because my GF is usually doing stuff in the same room and I'd feel akward.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Up Circle posted:

how much more damage are we talking? is it like l4d where skavenslaves do 1/5th of your hp per hit on the highest difficulty?
On the absolute highest, yeah.

Although technically they don't actually do any more damage, instead your life pool is decreased accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
That does sound difficult. Good thing ive got a powerful bow and magic arrows to defeat them with.

• Locked thread