Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
People who can't just get a gift without making it awkward.

I don't mean people who you surprise with a present. In this case, my stepmom, who picked up some virus that has left her nearly housebound, too weak to even drive, and she sleeps almost 12 hours a day and is exhausted when she wakes. So because she never leaves the house, and she has a ton of movies and other electronic poo poo to keep busy, I decided to add something else to her birthday gift (her birthday is a week before Xmas), so instead of just Bath and Body works lotion, which she loves, but feels like a copout, I ordered a special Lost Ocean adult coloring book (she used to dive and can't anymore) and some nice colored pencils because you can't color in these things with loving crayons.

She opened the gift and laughed. Like that half chuckle of "oh man this is poo poo" and had no idea about the thing. She flipped through the book, which has some goddamn nice designs, and said her grandson would love to color in this too.

Really? Your eight year old grandson who plays Grand loving Theft Auto will color a turtle mosiac with you? gently caress you, lady. All you had to do was say thanks.

Example: I got a nasty smelling candle this year from a coworker, but I didn't tell her that. I had my drat manners and thanked her, and that was polite! I didn't laugh and say oh man, you know candles are the most regifted poo poo ever?

You thank them, you move on! Not everything needs a cute hahahah moment where you dismiss the gift because someone tried to get you something that wasn't a static Bath and Body works poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I was doing some part-time internet support for extra money, and I'm amazed by some things I thought were so common, but so many people don't know how to do. I understand that some of us grew up while computers and internet were growing up too, while other people just kind of had the internet thrust upon them in old age, or when they were too young to know how you used to have to do things.

The one that kills me recently: If I said to 10 callers "Please type [a web address] into the address bar and hit Enter", 10 of them have no idea what I'm talking about. The individual concepts of a "URL" or "website address", the "address bar", and the "Enter Key" are lost on entire generations of people, it seems like. Going to a website without it being a favorite, or without doing a search is a lost art.

A lot of these callers have a legitimate internet outage, so it's not just people who don't know what they're doing calling. But this is so common, it's nuts.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I used to work in a call center, here are some answers I've received to the question "What browser are you using?"

-I don't know
-What's a browser
-I'm not using a browser
-Google
-Windows
-Start

I have stopped assuming anyone knows anything.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I like Christmas because it means I get a few days off work and normally have the house to myself as all my housemates are off doing stuff with their families. I normally tell my family I have to work so I can't come to whatever family celebration they're doing and I catch up with them earlier in December for a relaxed dinner with none of the stress that is associated with Christmas.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I ordered a special Lost Ocean adult coloring book (she used to dive and can't anymore) and some nice colored pencils because you can't color in these things with loving crayons.

She opened the gift and laughed. Like that half chuckle of "oh man this is poo poo" and had no idea about the thing. She flipped through the book, which has some goddamn nice designs, and said her grandson would love to color in this too.

Really? Your eight year old grandson who plays Grand loving Theft Auto will color a turtle mosiac with you? gently caress you, lady. All you had to do was say thanks.

You bought a colouring book for an adult. She probably thought it was a joke gift. Who the gently caress buys a colouring book for an adult?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tiggum posted:

You bought a colouring book for an adult. She probably thought it was a joke gift. Who the gently caress buys a colouring book for an adult?

They're "Adult Coloring Books" It's a new thing I guess, I've been seeing them all over the place lately and a lot of old ladies have been buying them. They usually have insanely intricate designs, maybe coloring is good for hand-eye coordination of old people or something? :shrug:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Nuebot posted:

They're "Adult Coloring Books" It's a new thing I guess, I've been seeing them all over the place lately and a lot of old ladies have been buying them. They usually have insanely intricate designs, maybe coloring is good for hand-eye coordination of old people or something? :shrug:

And meditation--the whole Zen Pencils/Zen Crayons thing.

My pet peeve is wrapping paper. Unless you're under 10, there's no reason to wrap a gift ever. It's right up there with over-the-top Xmas yard displays on my list of holiday annoyances.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

queserasera posted:

And meditation--the whole Zen Pencils/Zen Crayons thing.

My pet peeve is wrapping paper. Unless you're under 10, there's no reason to wrap a gift ever. It's right up there with over-the-top Xmas yard displays on my list of holiday annoyances.

Re: colouring books for adults. They're really popular with people who have anxiety or depression because they let you concentrate on something for a long time without having to attend to any particular skill. I, for instance, can always sew if I need to take my mind off something, but that's because I can sew, and this isn't necessarily something that is going to soothe beginners.

Also, re: Christmas + wrapping. My brother just came upstairs with some hastily wrapped gifts (he is the king of Man Wrapping) and loudly complained that wrapping paper in the last few years has declined in quality but increased in price. "CAPITALISM" was his angry conclusion. I laughed.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I used to work in a call center, here are some answers I've received to the question "What browser are you using?"

-I don't know
-What's a browser
-I'm not using a browser
-Google
-Windows
-Start

This also gave me a good giggle, I am sorry.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Sup scrooge buddy.

Every year I try to invite my family to come see us for the holidays because I'm tired of traveling to them every goddamn year. Every year they start whining about how traveling during the holidays is such a pain in the rear end and they don't want to do it and then in the exact same conversation ask us to fly out to see them. Apparently traveling during the holidays is only a pain in the rear end on their end and it's 100% smooth sailing for us I guess. They have been at their jobs forever and have oodles of paid time off. I'm a contractor with zero paid time off. Yet somehow it's less of an inconvenience in their eyes for me to take unpaid days off AND pay hundreds of dollars for plane tickets AND board the dogs than for them to use their paid time off and see us.

Next time I'm just going to flat-out refuse. If they want to see us they can suck it up and get on a plane during the month of November and/or December.

We've tried proposing a compromise where we come see them at some other point in the year (we do this with my husband's family and it works out really well) to avoid the holiday travel rush and price spikes but my family has some stick up their rear end about how it's ~the holidays~ and ~family time~ and it's ~not the same~. It's just an arbitrary date on the calendar! Who cares!

Bust out a map. As you've seen, it's exactly the same from your house to theirs as it is from theirs to yours. Why should you go? For Mom & Dad, who are in better shape financially and physically than everyone else? Oh, your job just lets you leave 'anytime'? Well, guess what. There may not be a job when you get back. But 'we never see you'? Well, take a train and come out. You do not owe them a holiday visit. Send them a box of chocolates, drink up, and enjoy your life here.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

YeahTubaMike posted:

-I don't know
-What's a browser
-I'm not using a browser
-Google
-Windows
-Start

The poor elderly. I've run into a lot where their son or grandchild set up their computer so that there's one desktop icon for EMAIL and one for FOX NEWS, and if anything isn't working properly, the user has no idea what to do, to the point you can't even describe the solution in normal terms. You have to direct them where to go as if they were looking at a painting.

e.g. "Please click the wavey, four-colored flag in a blue bubble on the lower left corner... with your mouse. Your mouse has two buttons, press down on the left one... your left."

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Dec 25, 2015

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

If nothing else it would be a break from more loving scented candles and lotions, and when she IS awake she mostly watches TV. I thought a little break might be nice, especially cause she can't dive anymore.

Next year, loving lotion.

Peeve: when there are 15 employees standing around and there is no drat work to do and the boss still won't let anyone go home early. And 5 more people start in 4 hours. It's loving Xmas eve, most businesses are closed! He finally relented after an hour and let two of us go early.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I actually got some for christmas, and they're amazing. I have PTSD and having something to do/focus on when I'm having a bad day really helps. The repetitive act of coloring in mandalas in the book makes me feel a lot calmer after a while.

Plus they're fun.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tiggum posted:

My folks are HUGE fans of all the Despicable Me movies and love the little minions. I bought 3 of them for Christmas, 2 plush ones for my mom and a plastic one with changeable outfits for dad. They were ECSTATIC and my dad couldn't stop playing with the Kevin one and his banana costume :3: I guess what I'm saying is either Cowslips maybe didn't explain why she got them and that's why her mom didn't "get it", or her mom just assumed it was a joke gift. Then again I like to give benefit of doubt, never know :shrug:

To contribute - I work in IT and my biggest peeve is people not completing information on tickets or for company info. I work for an MSP and from start to finish, everything from hardware to ISP to software and licensing all need to be documented. I can't count how many times our server or network guys "forget" to add all the info that's needed for us to troubleshoot and fix issues. Case in point, I'm on call and had an alert come in for a server being down for another engineer's client. Said client has several locations across the US, so I tracked down the one affected and checked documentation.

There was absolutely NOTHING documented for the problem location. No ISP info, no on-site contact, no address, nothing. In that particular location there are several ISPs providing DSL, cable, and fiber, so I had zero clue which ISP they used to check for outages. Ended up calling one of the engineers for the account, he had the info scribbled away somewhere outside our usual documentation and hadn't added it to the client profile yet. :doh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
People who stay mad about a problem after it's solved, like complaining is going to retroactively improve the situation.

People who get really fuming mad about something on my behalf, when I myself am not mad about it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Ozz81 posted:

My folks are HUGE fans of all the Despicable Me movies and love the little minions. I bought 3 of them for Christmas, 2 plush ones for my mom and a plastic one with changeable outfits for dad. They were ECSTATIC and my dad couldn't stop playing with the Kevin one and his banana costume :3: I guess what I'm saying is either Cowslips maybe didn't explain why she got them and that's why her mom didn't "get it", or her mom just assumed it was a joke gift. Then again I like to give benefit of doubt, never know :shrug:

My dad loves Minions and I can't hate the tubby little fuckers for that reason. Every time I see one I imagine how gleeful my dad is over them and I can't help but feel happy.

Related peeve: People who get irrationally angry over being exposed to things that aren't marketed towards them, i.e.: Frozen, Minions, ... boybands... whatever else kids like, I don't know. I mean, I agree that the kind of relentless marketing tie-ins are pretty absurd.

But people, and I mean adult people, get SUPER MAD about movie tie-in garbage like it's new. It's not. I'm pretty sure the reason you were able to buy a coonskin cap in the 50s was because of Davy Crockett.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
When you're screwing something up and the people that know better elect to not tell you and instead sit there fuming silently until they can't take it and blow up at you. If I don't know I'm doing something wrong then I'm not going to stop doing it because you're glaring at my back and wishing I wasn't.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Davinci posted:

When you're screwing something up and the people that know better elect to not tell you and instead sit there fuming silently until they can't take it and blow up at you. If I don't know I'm doing something wrong then I'm not going to stop doing it because you're glaring at my back and wishing I wasn't.

I think people do this because a lot of people take any correction or suggestion as a personal attack. I keep this kind of stuff to myself as long as I can because I'd rather hope they just stop doing it soon than correct them right away and deal with the snappy "i KNOW what I'm doing" retort while they fume in silence at me while they intentionally avoid doing what I said just to spite me. There's no winning that kind of situation.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Echoing travel. I hate it. I like seeing family, I like exchanging gifts, but I loving hate driving hours and hours to do it. It turns a nice family function into a logistics strategy because everyone needs "their time" with this or that particular relative.

I've been really pushing to host every holiday at our house, not because we have all the space, but because I'd much rather get on my sleepy pants and watch movies/video games/whatever in my own house and sleep in my own bed than drive 3 hours to sleep in a drafty farm house because ~family~.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
-People who would rather look for a parking space for ten minutes than park five minutes away from a destination.

-People who put dirty dishes in the sink so that before you can wash them you have to take them out.

-Safari on my iphone re-loading whatever dumbass last thing I searched for, so that there's this huge lag before I can start typing something new.

-The inability to warm my feet.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
It turns out that pinching me in the meat of my upper arm as a way to silence me is a great way to turn me into a huge ball of rage instead.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Reiterating that coming to my wife's family farm makes me hate Christmas.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

DavidAlltheTime posted:

-People who put dirty dishes in the sink so that before you can wash them you have to take them out.

If I'm doing the dishes and my dad starts to help, he will invariably put a dirty plate on top of all the stuff I have just cleaned.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CrotchDropJeans posted:

I feel like an rear end in a top hat complaining about getting gifts, but I hate that thing people do where you mention offhandedly that you like something once, and that becomes Your Favorite Thing Ever Forever in their eyes and they deluge you with themed gifts around this thing you aren't really that into.

Oh good it's not just me.

I finally started playing dark souls and talk about how I like it a lot, and my cousin surprised me with a ps4 for christmas so I could play bloodborne. Really generous, but I can't think of any other ps4 games I'm interested in. :negative:

e: I thought this was the first world problems thread, huh.

How about people that post things in the wrong thread??? I hate that!!!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Bomrek posted:

It turns out that pinching me in the meat of my upper arm as a way to silence me is a great way to turn me into a huge ball of rage instead.

What the gently caress is that? Who would do that? A vicious granny? That's rude as hell.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Putting the dishes in the both sides of the double tubbed sink so now there's two sinks to clear out AND rinse of gross food/drink residue before doing dishes. There's 2.5 feet of countertop, shove the coffee machine over i mean gently caress.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm Facebook friends with a bunch of women I haven't seen since grade school, most of whom got married and changed their name. So it's not uncommon that I have no clue who in hell is commenting on my posts.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Speaking of Facebook, people who have non-their face profile photos. I can see their name, I know who they are. It still bothers me and I have no right to be bothered. A true pet peeve.
I have been on Facebook long enough to watch some of my friend's babies grow up and it's interesting how around 6-8 years old moms stop using their kid's photo as their profile. It's like jeeze ladies, get an identity outside of your kids because it's creeping me out when it looks like your toddler is posting memes about wine.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

My roommates would rather take dishes as needed from the clean dishwasher rather than spend five minutes putting them all away.

I'm reading damninteresting on my phone with a blanket over my legs and my lap cat refuses to join me because it's not the blanket she likes. Become less picky, cat.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Wedemeyer posted:

Putting the dishes in the both sides of the double tubbed sink so now there's two sinks to clear out AND rinse of gross food/drink residue before doing dishes. There's 2.5 feet of countertop, shove the coffee machine over i mean gently caress.

I guess I can add 'Having a single tub sink' to my list of pet peeves. Especially since we broke the glass bowl we were using a pseudo 2nd tub.

Also: Being tall so doing the dishes kills my back.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
When I click on a news article and it's a video with no accompanying text article.

On the subject of videos, phones should use the GPS feature to determine if you're in a public space and disable playing of videos on full volume if the headphone jack is not being used.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

When I click on a news article and it's a video with no accompanying text article.

On the subject of videos, phones should use the GPS feature to determine if you're in a public space and disable playing of videos on full volume if the headphone jack is not being used.

Yes yes yes. Actually this should be standard on anything that little kids might play with in public.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kopijeger posted:

When you are going somewhere as a tourist yourself, find yourself in an area full of tourists and other tourists ask you for directions. What makes them think they are the only non-locals around?

This but in a foreign country where you don't speak the language.

I was in Spain a few years ago and a British lady asked me for directions to some church. I pulled out my TOURIST MAP to assist her. She thanked me for my assistance and complimented me on my English.

I am Australian, with an Australian accent. English is my only language.

In fairness, a Spanish-speaking tourist approached me for directions a few days later. Maybe I just have a 'helpful' look about me.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Both of these.

Another iphone Safari gripe is that it never remembers the volume I play videos at, and always defaults to full volume. So annoying. It's probably following the volume I set the ringer/alarm to, but iphone volume controls are a pet peeve of their own.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

artsy fartsy posted:

Yes yes yes. Actually this should be standard on anything that little kids might play with in public.

In addition, it should just go ahead and brick the device if it detect you're not using headphones in an airport GODDAMN

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

And then the page takes twice as long to load because it auto-plays.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

CrotchDropJeans posted:

I feel like an rear end in a top hat complaining about getting gifts, but I hate that thing people do where you mention offhandedly that you like something once, and that becomes Your Favorite Thing Ever Forever in their eyes and they deluge you with themed gifts around this thing you aren't really that into.

Me too, man. When I was 5, I said that cats were my favorite animal. Now, at 25, I'm still getting cat-themed gifts. I mean, I like cats, but not enough to put a fuckton of statuettes of them everywhere. I'm 25, not 60.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I can't remember the last time I was around my boyfriend's dad where he didn't bring up Benghazi multiple times, completely out of context of the current conversation. Nobody wants to talk about this dude, especially not at the dinner table at Christmas! Nobody even tries seriously talking about it with him anymore, it's not worth it because he believes what he wants to and won't listen to anything that goes against it. So yes: people with no conversational awareness who don't realize that these topics have a time and place and if everyone around you looks extremely uncomfortable maybe that isn't it?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Sociopastry posted:

Me too, man. When I was 5, I said that cats were my favorite animal. Now, at 25, I'm still getting cat-themed gifts. I mean, I like cats, but not enough to put a fuckton of statuettes of them everywhere. I'm 25, not 60.

From 12 to 19 people insisted on getting me Emily the Strange stuff because my name is Emily, and I have black hair. And I like cats. In any case, it got sort of annoying after a while and I'd get a little nervous getting a gift from anyone who wasn't super close to me and knows what to actually get me.

Conversely, my dad always gets me stuff he WISHED I liked, such as a beige poncho, which looked loving awful and was also too small. Other gifts he's given me: Books about British naval history, several cameras (which are great gifts, but then he gets mad that I don't take the sames sorts of photographs he does. ?????) and so on.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
When you choose to do a task and someone else notices and wants to do it, but there is only one thing so now your on a time limit. I am glad you share the interest but don't you fuckin dare ask if I'm done yet.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Christ, Article a Video. It's a video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I get annoyed by those recipes shown online as a series of pictures that are just full of swearing for no real reason.

Like, "preheat that fuckin oven up to 11 (450 degrees)", "marinade that poo poo", "chop that bitch onion until it begs for mercy". I still see them all the time - dunno why it hasn't died off.