Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Glass of Milk posted:

I always did Eregion to 45, get my legendary, then finish Eregion. Moria is doable at 45, but the issue is finishing all the content and being too low for Dunland, which would necessitate doing some lothlorien stuff

I guess that's an option... if you like being called "DUVODIAD" 1000 times rather than running around collecting flowers and sassing drunken elves in a beautiful golden forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

If you were looking to get Turbine Points now's the time. They're offering triple bonus points on all packages.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I really never got the hate for Dunland. The area's quite pretty and varied, the epic quest that runs through it is great since it hits every area and you always have a quest that says something along the lines of "Stick around and help these people out, or don't whatever" so you're never forced to actually do any quest, and frankly the Dunlendings have more reason to be genuinely mistrustful than say the Rohirrim, who despite literally saving every region before coming to their little pointless town have A) never heard of you and B) still don't trust you.

Also, the way the plot went about one of the clans in the epic was genuinely pretty good. Nothing flashy but it was some strong story telling.

Seriously Dunland's alright.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Thanks for the sale, Steam!

Also, I just found out, thanks to this thread, that the level cap is 100 now. Oh my. It was 50 when I stopped playing. I really hope that laptop cooling pad will work, because I want to see all of that new content.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I really never got the hate for Dunland. The area's quite pretty and varied, the epic quest that runs through it is great since it hits every area and you always have a quest that says something along the lines of "Stick around and help these people out, or don't whatever" so you're never forced to actually do any quest, and frankly the Dunlendings have more reason to be genuinely mistrustful than say the Rohirrim, who despite literally saving every region before coming to their little pointless town have A) never heard of you and B) still don't trust you.

Also, the way the plot went about one of the clans in the epic was genuinely pretty good. Nothing flashy but it was some strong story telling.

Seriously Dunland's alright.

I actually don't hate it at all. The quests are pretty easy and fairly well grouped & laid out. The only thing I hate is being called duvodiad over and over. It just sounds so stupid.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Thank you to Nazgun of the Nazgun for walking me through the MT instance last night!

Sadly, I never did get into the second raid - I got frozen on the join launcher forever and eventually just disconnected me.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah, I never got Eregion, I probably should.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

alucinor posted:

Thank you to Nazgun of the Nazgun for walking me through the MT instance last night!

Sadly, I never did get into the second raid - I got frozen on the join launcher forever and eventually just disconnected me.

Is his surname still Nazgun too? So its Nazgun Nazgun of the Nazgun :D

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Haerc posted:

Yeah, I never got Eregion, I probably should.

It's worth having. The only other pre-Moria zone* that has questing as well plotted out is probably Evendim. And in Eregion there's no giant lake to swim fast travel across constantly.

* Haven't gone through reworked North Downs or Trollshaws yet but I'm not holding my breath on either being as well setup or easily traveled as Eregion.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002

flowinprose posted:

I actually don't hate it at all. The quests are pretty easy and fairly well grouped & laid out. The only thing I hate is being called duvodiad over and over. It just sounds so stupid.

But the Uch-Gwirod requires them to give welcome to Duvodiad, as every Dunlanding will tell you at every opportunity.

I think LOTRO does the best job fleshing out the peoples Tolkien didn't describe much, like the Dunlandings and the Hillmen in Aughaire.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Anyone online now that could invite me to the kin? I tried everyone in the OP but they are offline.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

alucinor posted:

Yeah that was fun, the epic battle are good to know how to run for the stars of merit and the chance of getting gold and teals essences.

Np for the thorog raid, it's a 24 man instancethat can be done with 12 no problem and people join and leave these raids all the time.

I really like this new server, there's always something to run.

I still haven't been able to run the t2 osgiliath instance much yet. Maybe with the new toons hitting 100 we can try it sometime soon :)

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SoggyGravy posted:

Anyone online now that could invite me to the kin? I tried everyone in the OP but they are offline.

What I was told to do and worked for me was to open up the social panel and where it says filter (and then probably the name of the zone you are in) type in Nazgun and it will list all Nazguns who are currently online, then /tell the highest level one and they can probably help you.

Hope that makes sense/is correct. Been wrapping gifts (and drinking.... mostly drinking) and I may have gotten something wrong.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Titus82 posted:

What I was told to do and worked for me was to open up the social panel and where it says filter (and then probably the name of the zone you are in) type in Nazgun and it will list all Nazguns who are currently online, then /tell the highest level one and they can probably help you.

Hope that makes sense/is correct. Been wrapping gifts (and drinking.... mostly drinking) and I may have gotten something wrong.

Thanks, you said it perfectly. Now part of Nazgun and ready to lord of the rings rock.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Hobo, it would be nice to have a couple more officer around, I believe I'm one of the only few that do login regularly and there are some people that want to set crafting station and decoration around the kinship house :)

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

AskYourself posted:

Hobo, it would be nice to have a couple more officer around, I believe I'm one of the only few that do login regularly and there are some people that want to set crafting station and decoration around the kinship house :)

Decorations have already been fixed so people should be able to do that now.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Oxphocker posted:

Decorations have already been fixed so people should be able to do that now.

I think only officers can do it, and a nice player who isn't an officer bought a forge we can all use but can't give it to Nazgun to place it as it's bound to account.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

extra stout posted:

I think only officers can do it, and a nice player who isn't an officer bought a forge we can all use but can't give it to Nazgun to place it as it's bound to account.

Well I just changed it last night after I got back from vacation...so if you haven't checked since 10pm last night.. I'd log in and confirm but the login isn't working right now...so I'm going to try later today to check.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

I'm considering coming back (again) to (re)start (again), but I haven't really played since before all the expansions and chapter packs and whatnot happened with F2P, and I'm somewhat intimidated by the sheer amount of DLC packs. As a restarting player, how much would I need to consider buying and when to make the game an enjoyable, playable experience?

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

erazure posted:

I'm considering coming back (again) to (re)start (again), but I haven't really played since before all the expansions and chapter packs and whatnot happened with F2P, and I'm somewhat intimidated by the sheer amount of DLC packs. As a restarting player, how much would I need to consider buying and when to make the game an enjoyable, playable experience?

If you're considering playing again you came back at the right time. Right now you can grab the quad pack and helms deep for :20bux: and get all the expansions, RK & warden classes, and 1000 TP to spend. You'll need to grab a few lower level quest packs to help you bridge the gap into moria but once you get there you'll be good until you run out of HD content and need to move into gondor.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Oxphocker posted:

Well I just changed it last night after I got back from vacation...so if you haven't checked since 10pm last night.. I'd log in and confirm but the login isn't working right now...so I'm going to try later today to check.

Yeah, it's working now. Someone else put down a forge before I could put down the one I bought, but that's fine. All's well that ends well.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

erazure posted:

I was in a similar situation as you. I had played LOTRO right about the time Mines of Moria were released but only ever got to level 30 before I quit. I came back briefly when it went F2P but bailed shortly thereafter. Then about a month ago I decided to give LOTRO another go and have been enjoying myself rather immensely. Before I continue allow me to provide a link that tells you everything you need to know about the different account types and why you should use your old account when returning to LOTRO.

Now I'll tell you what I have done/plan on doing (in other words the helpful bit!)

The first thing I think that is worth buying is the Steely Dawn Starter Pack from G2A which was posted a couple pages ago. I used G2A to buy this pack for $1, it unlocks the Evendim Quest Pack and gives you 500 TP (which can be used to buy a quest pack.) I will add, however, that some people warn others against using G2A, I assume because they've had problems, but my experience was great. One dollar for an entire quest pack and 500 TP points was worth the risk of getting a bad CD Key, IMO.

The second thing I bought was the Samwise Gamgee's Starter Pack for $2.50 as it unlocks the Horse Skill for your entire account and I think is well worth it. However if you plan on subbing at some point then you can probably skip this pack, or just spend the TP to unlock the Horse Riding Skill for each character. But I feel two bucks is worth it.

If you're cool spending money (and you like Skirmishes) then you can also pick up the Skirmishes right now for cheap on the LOTRO official site, but I'll skip that as it is non-essential!

Once you've out leveled Evendim (I guess that's level 40? I'm not there yet!) you will need to buy quest packs, likely only needing to spend TP you've earned by playing the game and completing deeds. The short answer here is you will need to buy Angmar which costs 795 TP. But you may wish to consult this quest pack charter to decide which quest pack works best for you.

With Angmar I should be high enough level to go straight into Mines of Moria expansion, which leads me to what Enzenx already posted about : The Quad Pack which is currently on sale for $10 on Steam and includes Mines of Moria, Siege of Mirkwood, The Rise of Isengard, and Riders of Rohan. These expansions unlock content for (roughly) levels 50-85, so this is only for people who plan on sticking around for awhile. The plus side for buying it right now is that you will need to buy them as subscribing to LOTRO does not unlock 'em and you get 1000 TP. Or maybe the 1000 TP comes with Helm's Deep. Whatever, because if you want to play LOTRO at high levels you'll also need to pick up Helm's Deep which is also on sale for $10!

So far that means you spent $23.50 for a Free to Play game and half of it is stuff you won't get access to until, much, much later! :v

Listo version: Buy the Steely Dawn and Samwise Gamgee Starter Packs for roughly 3.50 and play til level 40ish. After that grab Angmar and then wait for the Quad Pack to go back on sale and pick it up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Really worth mentioning that Turbine Points are accumalted quite easily by just playing the game and in very rare situations will you have to seriously grind. By even going through a region 80% you gain reputation, each level giving you more and more TP up to 20 if you hit kin with that people. You'll most likely score TP just by slaying enemies that you come across and exploration TP is super easy to get and even it's only 5 there's at least 25 per region of those if not more. I'd say if you manage to make it all the way through Rohan and only bought Evendim to make it through to Moria, then you'd more than likely have enough to get at least one if not two of the Gondor regions, which is great because since they're all at level 100 you don't even need to have them all to level up.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

Thanks guys. I decided to pull the :20bux: trigger for Quad Pack, Helms Deep, and Steely Dawn. Looking forward to playing again!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Conskill posted:

Yeah, it's working now. Someone else put down a forge before I could put down the one I bought, but that's fine. All's well that ends well.

You still have it? I have an oven I can place there instead.

Edit: I just figured out that with user-bound decorations, you can get rid of them by clicking "return to owner" in decoration mode. I put a LOT of poo poo in the kinhouse, don't anyone hesitate to send it back to me.

alucinor fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 28, 2015

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

alucinor posted:

You still have it? I have an oven I can place there instead.

Edit: I just figured out that with user-bound decorations, you can get rid of them by clicking "return to owner" in decoration mode. I put a LOT of poo poo in the kinhouse, don't anyone hesitate to send it back to me.

I still have it, yeah. I'm cool either way (I have more points than sense right now, so it didn't hurt me to buy it).

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
My biggest issue with the game is trying to read the in-game fonts on large screens. Is there any way to scale that up aside from playing at a lower resolution?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Thanks for all the write-ups about topics like quest packs etc. It is super helpful. I grabbed all the stuff available on Steam, and plan to subscribe too. The only thing I will have to buy with Turbine Points seems to be the Beorning class. Which I really want to play.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If you subscribe, you get a bunch of TP every month. So then you can buy all the stuff you want. Eventually.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Also you might want to use the non-steam client unless Lotro-via-steam doesn't force you to always use Steam like FFXIV and other games.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also you might want to use the non-steam client unless Lotro-via-steam doesn't force you to always use Steam like FFXIV and other games.

You can run LotRO outside of Steam fine; Steam never patches it ever, so you have to use the Turbine patcher anyway. The only difference is that your account will always have to buy Turbine points through Steam (or a code from a card)

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Got the quad pack and Helm's Deep and made the switch to Landroval, so I'm ready to grind 75-100 and, if I'm not burnt out yet, run endgame content with some goons.

First off, recommendations on how to use the 1000 TP I received with Helm's Deep?

Second, who should I contact for the kin invite?

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I have my forge ready to place in the front yard of the Kin house, but there are no available Large Yard slots to put it into. All the slots have bound items in that I can't move, such as the stone trolls.

Would it be possible to free up a space sometime?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Cnidario posted:

Got the quad pack and Helm's Deep and made the switch to Landroval, so I'm ready to grind 75-100 and, if I'm not burnt out yet, run endgame content with some goons.

First off, recommendations on how to use the 1000 TP I received with Helm's Deep?

List in OP, plus Blondii. What's your username and what times are you typically on?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I have my forge ready to place in the front yard of the Kin house, but there are no available Large Yard slots to put it into. All the slots have bound items in that I can't move, such as the stone trolls.

Would it be possible to free up a space sometime?

I'll move those out, pretty sure they're mine.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

alucinor posted:

List in OP, plus Blondii. What's your username and what times are you typically on?

Eoannes. My schedule is fairly unpredictable between work and family duties, but I am on anywhere between 7-10 EST on weekdays, and I usually have more time on weekends.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
If anyone wants to scratch my back while I suck their cock or however that expression goes: TP are really cheap right now, some of you have TP from being lifetime account owners, and I will give you gold or a supreme essence or whatever it is you need if you can hook me up with a woodworking table thing for my yard. I think it costs a few mithril coins but there is a way to legally sell account bound items for gold, also since I'm the house next to the kinhall you can still use it for free.

edit

Also I am looking at the sales and may just buy it myself and edit out this post, man this is a good time of year to start this game and you'll all regret it later if you don't buy expansions you're approaching in level when they're 75 percent off

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I think I'm gonna get some TP while the triple bonus point thing is going. That's what I did this time last year, then I sat on the points until the Gift of the Valar went on sale and boosted 2 characters to 50.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

Yeah well I don't want you to mention my dick in any way of form but I do have a little over 2k tp from lifetime pileup.

How does the account bound trade thing work ?

Also Seconding that now is one of the bst time to join this game ever if anyone was on the fence. You get a lot of Tolkien mmo nerdom for about 25$. If you are on the fence, now is the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cnidario posted:

Get the upgraded Wallet if you don't have it yet. The 6th inventory bag is handy too.