Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Steve2911 posted:

So who is everyone's favourite droid? My favourite droid is the one that gets torn apart at Jabba's palace for no discernible reason.

I like the one who says gonk. I can't remember his name, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The more I think about it, the more I think that Rey being Luke's daughter is a little too on-the-nose, that they'll spend a major portion of the next movie setting her up to be a Skywalker and her believing it, but that her actual origin will be totally different. Kind of like a reverse Empire reveal. It just seems a little too obvious, even for a movie series that isn't particularly subtle in its foreshadowing.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Ok, just watched this a second time without about a weeks break. I was a bit ambivalent towards it originally, though I was pretty emotional coming out of the first viewing so maybe that and the year-long expecations coloured it somewhat. Coming into it without the pressure of not knowing what was going to happen, and having watched A New Hope again in between the viewings, I think this is justly the second best Star Wars film after the ESB.

I went in really to see if I could see anything I missed which may have clues for Rey's parentage, and this second time around I felt it didn't try and suggest Luke being's Rey father as much I remembered it doing the first time round. The only one line that does suggest it is Maz talking about how odd it was that the Skywalkers lightsaber, that was Luke and Anakins before him, was calling out to her. The lines after which I thought were labouring the point, seem to be referring to something else entirely.

"You already know they are not coming back. But there is someone else out there who might." I think Rey says "Luke?" in between, but I think the coming back bit is really supposed to suggest Finn, who had just walked away a minute or two before. Both don't have a blood family, both are lost and lonely, and both have the chance of finding belonging with each other.

Also, people have gone on about the score being a low point of the flim. The score is very good at amplifying what's going on the screen, but it is missing iconic standalone pieces, and seems to rely on just using two main pieces, the Force theme and Rey's theme to supplement general background music. Rey's Theme is probably played 10 times or so in different bits - I didn't really notice it at all on first viewing, but having listened to it throught the week and having had it stuck on my head, you do hear that melody a lot whenever she's doing anything on screen, and as it's still stuck in my head now I'm pretty certain it'll become as iconic as some of the other pieces from the first films, we just haven't listened to it a hundred times over yet.

Kylo seems to have a theme as well, that plays in the first scene when he lands on Jakku, and also when he is attacking Rey on the Starkiller base, but it's very understated, and I wonder if that a consious choice. You can't make a character more Vader than Darth Vader, so for Kylo they decided to subvert expectations with a different approach and made him a self-doubting, frightened child, and you're not going to be able to make a bombastic theme for the baddy that won't get compared to the Imperial March, so perhaps they went for something a lot subtler which isn't so easily comparable.

Also, I don't know why people were moaning about the "tearing me up inside" dialog from Kylo, on second viewing it still remained a very well acted, very powerful scene.

Anyone, I haven't watched a movie at the cinema twice since I was 7 and forced my mum to let me watch the Phantom Menace again. Even a week later, I really enjoyed watching the Force Awakens the whole time- while I moaned about the pace first time round I think the quick speed lends itself better to rewatching it. The two and half hours don't seem like two and half hours.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gatts posted:

Along with the Raid dudes what the gently caress was the point of Phasma?

They wanted to be in the film like a lot of folks, so they made a part for them. Same for Daniel Craig and loving Michael Giacchino [You know your series is beloved when even a composer wants to get in on the action] and a bunch of other people in the film. They wanted to be in the film, so they got in the film.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Force Awakens is up to 765 million dollars now, is it still on track to surpass Avatar?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Finally, a definitive answer to the question of Jedi training:

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Steve2911 posted:

So who is everyone's favourite droid? My favourite droid is the one that gets torn apart at Jabba's palace for no discernible reason.

Oh man, I've always got a kick over the ludicrousness of the robots getting tortured in Jabba's dungeon, complete with one crying out, "No! NO!" It reminds me of that Simpsons joke with a robot on fire lamenting, "Why? Why was I programmed to feel pain?!"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Finally, a definitive answer to the question of Jedi training:

This is good.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Phylodox posted:

Trashbot 9000 is the hero star wars deserves

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

euphronius posted:

The prequels are better than Tfa but less entertaining.

The prequels are more ambitious. TFA is better executed.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Phylodox posted:

He's a GNK-Series Power Droid, or 'Gonk' droid. The official name.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Force Awakens is up to 765 million dollars now, is it still on track to surpass Avatar?

That's insane what. Already?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

That's insane what. Already?

International number. It was already above $500M over the weekend. Still doesn't release in China for another 2 weeks. Even though Star Wars isn't big in China, I know Disney pushed really hard to market it there. I'm thinking it hits $1B by New Years.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So just saw this film. Four things, first this is as near as you can get to a clone of Episode IV, without it being an obvious "remake" of Episode IV.

Second, after the first two Deathstars you'd think someone would figure out, "Hey planet killing mega weapons are a bad idea. They are too drat vulnerable and cost so much that their one off use is not worth the investment.

Perhaps instead we should build 500 star destroyers and a million tie fighters.

Or if we just have to have a mega weapon, we should at the very minimum work on making them not super vulnerable to fighters and boarding actions."

Third, I am super confused about the "resistance" and the Galactic Republic. It seems to me that the bad guys should now be "rebels" and the Republic outright fighting them.

Fourth, what happened to all the other Jedis-in-training. And since we already know Luke's sister is force sensitive (ffs even in this movie she feels Han die), why was she never trained as a Jedi?

In fact, other than "this is a clone of episode IV," not a whole lot made sense in this movie at all.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ZombieLenin posted:

Fourth, what happened to all the other Jedis-in-training.

That was a major plot point. Like, central to the movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

Second, after the first two Deathstars you'd think someone would figure out, "Hey planet killing mega weapons are a bad idea. They are too drat vulnerable and cost so much that their one off use is not worth the investment.

In this particular film they wiped out an entire enemy fleet and also the enemy command structure. It blowing up afterwards doesn't mean much when it already did its job very well.

ZombieLenin posted:

Fourth, what happened to all the other Jedis-in-training. And since we already know Luke's sister is force sensitive (ffs even in this movie she feels Han die), why was she never trained as a Jedi?

Kylo Ren killed them. This is kind of a central plot point in the film. Leia presumably just did not want to become a Jedi.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
Here are some (alleged) call sheet leaks (spoiler tagging these because they may or may not contain details revealed in VIII / IX)

EXT NIGHT - 01 - SPACE - SAVANNAH • A Sword tumbles through space, crashes toward ground
EXT DAY - 02 - SAVANNAH • Sword lands - dawn into day - a strange hand appears
EXT DAY - 192 - SAVANNAH • Reprise Hand takes sword, we reveal Naka
EXT NIGHT - 193 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Peasant is using the sword as a firestarter
EXT DAY - 194 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Local trader buys sword off of Naka
EXT NIGHT - 195 - SAVANNAH • Local trader already has sold the sword on
EXT NIGHT - 196 - BATTLEFIELD • A battle rages. The sword is being used.

These potential spoilers reveal even more details on the above.

EXT NIGHT - 209 - CASTLE • Kylo Ren and his Knights at campfire. Maz Kanata steals sword
INT DAY - 210 - CASTLE STAIRCASE • Walking down stairs, Maz Kanata reveals she stole it.
EXT NIGHT - 211 - MOUNTAIN SIDE • Reveal Maz Kanata on Speeder, she has the sword

And for those interested here is the full list of the alleged shooting schedule at one point.

http://millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9790

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

ImpAtom posted:

In this particular film they wiped out an entire enemy fleet and also the enemy command structure. It blowing up afterwards doesn't mean much when it already did its job very well.

Kylo Ren killed them. This is kind of a central plot point in the film. Leia presumably just did not want to become a Jedi.

They didn't really make that clear to my memory. As I recall Han says something about Ren destroying everything. Maybe I just misheard it.

And his "skills" in the movie, aka getting owned by someone with no training (wounded or not) make that though sort of hokey.

Unless, which is possible, I am totally missing something.

And while I am venting a little, way to make Han's death totally predictable and, somehow, anti-climatic.

Edit

And like being the only Jedi left is not really in continuity with other Disney Star Wars properties, aka Star Wars Rebels. Not that I'm someone who is concerned with that. Just an observation.

Double edit.

So my question is really, why is the resistance called the resistance and why do they make it seem like the resistance, instead of the Republic navy/armed forces is fighting to suppress the new dark side rebellion?

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 25, 2015

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

It blew up like 5 or 6 planets. Entire civilizations with tens or possibly hundreds of billions of lives, and everyone in the galaxy got to watch the show. Two towers wrecked America, so I'd say this was worth the investment for the First Order.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ZombieLenin posted:

They didn't really make that clear to my memory. As I recall Han says something about Ren destroying everything. Maybe I just misheard it.

And his "skills" in the movie, aka getting owned by someone with no training (wounded or not) make that though sort of hokey.

Unless, which is possible, I am totally missing something.

And while I am venting a little, way to make Han's death totally predictable and, somehow, anti-climatic.

Edit

And like being the only Jedi left is not really in continuity with other Disney Star Wars properties, aka Star Wars Rebels. Not that I'm someone who is concerned with that. Just an observation.

Han said that Kylo destroyed it all, yes. In Rey's force vision, she sees Kylo with this Ren buddies standing over the corpses of all the slain jedi.

As for Rebels, that takes place a long time before Episode 7. Those characters could all be dead by now for all we know.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

The Raid guys were a cameo. Phasma may have been a minor role (comparable to Boba Fett or Tarkin), or she may be expanded later. Who knows/cares?

Not that everyone is telling the truth necessarily but it's been said several times that she's getting a much expanded role in the next two films.

I'd be really baffled if that doesn't happen, honestly. I thought it seemed obvious she was being set up for later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This Phasma stuff is all on the marketing team, right?

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

This wasn't a stubbed toe, he was shot in the kidney and bleeding out pretty bad and tagged with a light saber a few times. Those are some pretty serious injuries to sustain. There is a reference at the end where it's made obvious that he's not fully trained also.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

p.crestmont posted:

It blew up like 5 or 6 planets. Entire civilizations with tens or possibly hundreds of billions of lives, and everyone in the galaxy got to watch the show. Two towers wrecked America, so I'd say this was worth the investment for the First Order.

I disagree. You want a weapon like this, a weapon of mass destruction, to be capable of cowering your enemy into submission.

If your weapon has taken out 6 planets in a republic with a thousand, then gets destroyed you end up with Mao's attitude towards American nuclear weapons in Korea. Let them use their 11 bombs and then they'll be out, and we will still outnumber them by 200 million.

Maybe a better analogy would be the DPRK lobbing some missiles at the US. It would be terrible, but then we'd just be pissed and the DPRK would cease to exist.

You really need to keep that weapon to say, "see what we just did? Do what we say or we will use it over and over until we get what we want."

I still maintain 500 star destroyers and a million Tie Fighters is a better investment.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Keep in mind that 5 or 6 planets out of 1000 housed the central government of the Galaxy. No better way to take over and get people to submit than wipe out their leadership in one shot, along with billions of innocents.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

I disagree. You want a weapon like this, a weapon of mass destruction, to be capable of cowering your enemy into submission.

If your weapon has taken out 6 planets in a republic with a thousand, then gets destroyed you end up with Mao's attitude towards American nuclear weapons in Korea. Let them use their 11 bombs and then they'll be out, and we will still outnumber them by 200 million.

Maybe a better analogy would be the DPRK lobbing some missiles at the US. It would be terrible, but then we'd just be pissed and the DPRK would cease to exist.

You really need to keep that weapon to say, "see what we just did? Do what we say or we will use it over and over until we get what we want."

I still maintain 500 star destroyers and a million Tie Fighters is a better investment.

This is the worst post in this thread.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

In the context of the film it blew up the Star Wars version of Washington DC and also destroyed a significant portion of its military forces as well.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

mr. mephistopheles posted:

This is the worst post in this thread.

Then why did you make it?

Ahaha, I'm just kidding, I couldn't resist a lead-in like that.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

When kylo was fighting ren why did he keep pounding on his wound?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Uncle Wemus posted:

Probably because he believes (maybe rightfully, but probably not) that pain gives him power. Sounds like something a crazy dark side junkie and Vader fanboy like him would believe.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mahoning posted:

International number. It was already above $500M over the weekend. Still doesn't release in China for another 2 weeks. Even though Star Wars isn't big in China, I know Disney pushed really hard to market it there. I'm thinking it hits $1B by New Years.

It's probably going to close tomorrow over 800 million, I'd be surprised if it wasn't at a billion by Saturday.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pakled posted:

Probably because he believes (maybe rightfully, but probably not) that pain gives him power. Sounds like something a crazy dark side junkie and Vader fanboy like him would believe.

My friend said that but to me it seemed like a bad idea to make yourself bleed more during a fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

My friend said that but to me it seemed like a bad idea to make yourself bleed more during a fight.

Kylo Ren is not a man brimming with healthy rational good ideas.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Uncle Wemus posted:

Well society also frowns on murdering your father in cold blood or blowing up inhabited planets, yet here we are.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ZombieLenin posted:

EU, so whatever, but there was a plot point in one of the books where some Imperial admiral gets the idea to build a smaller Death Star rather than a larger one. Its megalaser couldn't blow up a planet, but it could cut through a Star Destroyer (or in the New Republic's case a Mon Cal Cruiser) no problem, and that this would be much more useful if you were ostensibly going to fight a "regular" interstellar war rather than trying to implement the Tarkin Doctrine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

There's a few ways to read it: using pain to increase his tie to the dark side, frustration at being hobbled by it, as a psych out maneuver. My initial read, mainly because I've seen it in other movies, was that he was losing consciousness due to blood loss or exhaustion and was using pain to unfog and clarify his mind.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Kylo Ren is literally beating himself up for his weakness. He's frustrated that his body is crapping out on him and is lashing out against himself.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
he was punching his wound because the paijn makes him stronger. i do the same thuing when mymom tells me to clean up my room

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Republic / Resistance distinction confused me too. The Resistance has the Republic's support but was pretty clearly distinct from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

The Republic / Resistance distinction confused me too. The Resistance has the Republic's support but was pretty clearly distinct from them.

It sounds like the cut scene where Leia's aide petitioned the Senate for help in battling the FO did a lot of heavy lifting to clarify the political situation, a ton of people are confused about it. I probably would've been too if I had seen a little explainer beforehand. I liken it to American expats fighting Franco in the Spanish Civil War or pre-1940 vs the Japanese in China, mixed with a bit of Western aid to the Pesh to fight ISIS today.

It does seem to add some unecessary layers to the landscape, why not just the New Republic vs the New Order, but maybe that's more important down the line.

• Locked thread