Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

monster on a stick posted:

Before I pull the trigger, I'd like to know whether (given my impressions of TW2) whether I'd enjoy the game:
- combat overall was meh, I specifically hated the beast fight at the end of act 1 ("use the Yrden!!!") and the forced sequence at the end of act 2
- didn't really enjoy having to look up what potions to use prior to a fight to make sure I didn't get wrecked
- Roche path was best path
- I want to help more trolls with detox

I'd have to say this was the best most polished, well written and just overall great game I've ever played. The combat is good, potion and oil use is pretty obvious, Roche is nice, and there are many many trolls in the game and they all have fun/peaceful resolutions and songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Before I pull the trigger, I'd like to know whether (given my impressions of TW2) whether I'd enjoy the game:
- combat overall was meh, I specifically hated the beast fight at the end of act 1 ("use the Yrden!!!") and the forced sequence at the end of act 2
- didn't really enjoy having to look up what potions to use prior to a fight to make sure I didn't get wrecked

- combat is still meh
- pretty much still in
- there is no mutually exclusive paths but Roche is in the game
- there is a hilarious troll quest

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

combat still ok, better and easier to control then in 2, think like, not as crisp bloodborne.
potions are not truly needed until higher difficulties. you brew potions and oils and decoctions once each, and the refill when you meditate by consuming 1 hard alcohol item.
roche is in the game by default, has multiple quests
there are multiple trolls in the game, and all are great

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you brew potions and oils and decoctions once each, and the refill when you meditate by consuming 1 hard alcohol item.

Not to mention that you do not need to meditate pre-fight and guesstimate what kind of potion you'll need, you can chug them on the go.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

mcbexx posted:

Not to mention that you do not need to meditate pre-fight and guesstimate what kind of potion you'll need, you can chug them on the go.

Oh glory be

I trust GOG/Steam version doesn't really matter?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Oh glory be

I trust GOG/Steam version doesn't really matter?

not at all, i have the gog version that i launch through steam for steam controller support and it works without a hitch

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Finally started the DLC, got past the first main story mission.

So, do you think Gaunter O'Dimm woke up one morning and decided, "I'm going to spend every day of my life being the most suspicious bastard in the world," or does it just come naturally

That's assuming that he sleeps.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can I ever get these trolls their shoes? I feel like I've made a witcher contract with them to get them shoes and it feels bad to leave it unfinished.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Baronjutter posted:

Can I ever get these trolls their shoes? I feel like I've made a witcher contract with them to get them shoes and it feels bad to leave it unfinished.

Hole no. Boom. Hole.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Turdydumps :(

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Can I bind movment keys to the numpad in this video game?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Sometimes Bart thinks lots.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to hold off on this game until I upgraded my 550 Ti. Turns out games can look good. :shepface:

Anyway, is there anything super necessary skillwise? The lack of respec always makes me paranoid.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Robo Reagan posted:

I decided to hold off on this game until I upgraded my 550 Ti. Turns out games can look good. :shepface:

Anyway, is there anything super necessary skillwise? The lack of respec always makes me paranoid.

There's a respec option. The potion costs 1000 gold so you won't be respeccing until later on when you're rolling in crowns but it's an option.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, could have sworn there wasn't one.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Is there any way to know what enemies are susceptible to yrden? Whether or not it paralyzes, slows their attacks, or just slows their movement seems to be random. I hardly used it except when fighting wraiths because the movement speed reduction was so trivial but when I started playing HoS it seemed much more effective.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Is there any way to know what enemies are susceptible to yrden?

Is it an enemy?
Use Yrden.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Is there any way to know what enemies are susceptible to yrden? Whether or not it paralyzes, slows their attacks, or just slows their movement seems to be random. I hardly used it except when fighting wraiths because the movement speed reduction was so trivial but when I started playing HoS it seemed much more effective.

As far as I know it only has special effectiveness against wraith types, but the slow scales with your Sign Intensity. With really high Intensity it almost becomes a time stop zone.

Alt-Yrden in particular I used almost every fight but it's very generally useful

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

There's exactly one enemy in the game who can't be affected by Yrden and they make this fact exceedingly and infuriatingly clear.

I did not care for the Caretaker fight at all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

You mean other than the bestiary?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Who's this Caretaker? I beat the game but don't recall fighting it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DLC boss

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm in the midst of upgrading my computer and I have a low tolerance for replaying RPGs.

Is swapping save files manageable?

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I don't see why it shouldn't be, saves are kept in Documents > The witcher 3 folder, at least in case of GOG version.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

So I just beat the main quest, how does playing the dlc work since I beat the game?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Doesn't affect it either way. You pick up the quest from a notice board and it plays like a long self-contained side mission, opening several new areas on the existing map.

There's a couple of small references in conversation about how far you may be in the main quest but it doesn't affect anything.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, I'm gathering up all my bros for the bro-down at Kaer Morhen, and I've gathered everyone up ("full crew" achievement, etc.). Do I need to wrap up every side quest etc. now or is there plenty of game left to run around and gather poo poo and so forth?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, I'm gathering up all my bros for the bro-down at Kaer Morhen, and I've gathered everyone up ("full crew" achievement, etc.). Do I need to wrap up every side quest etc. now or is there plenty of game left to run around and gather poo poo and so forth?

you only have to do character specific sidequests, all of the stuff you just find in the world should still be fine. If you want to test it out, make a manual save, push the big red button go to the isle of mists and see if you get a quest failed message for anything. if you do, reload and do it if its something you care about.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

andrew smash posted:

you only have to do character specific sidequests, all of the stuff you just find in the world should still be fine. If you want to test it out, make a manual save, push the big red button go to the isle of mists and see if you get a quest failed message for anything. if you do, reload and do it if its something you care about.

Oh, good call, i forgot this game actually tells you when you gently caress up. Thanks!

I was just worrying it was going to be a point of no return type thing.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Nah there's nothing really like that, even after you finish the main plot you can keep wandering around. It just breaks a few quests specific to the supporting cast

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I found a place of power that wasn't marked on the map as an unknown POI. Is that common? Also Kaer Morhen is loving gorgeous.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Taffer posted:

I found a place of power that wasn't marked on the map as an unknown POI. Is that common? Also Kaer Morhen is loving gorgeous.

They're all marked eventually. You probably just found one that they hadn't told you about yet.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Oh, good call, i forgot this game actually tells you when you gently caress up. Thanks!

I was just worrying it was going to be a point of no return type thing.

Yeah you just have to wrap up quests specific to your bro-squad characters, those will get locked out after you go to the Isle of the Mists.

Everything not involving them (so, like 90% of the game) is fine and you can come back to it later or even after finishing the game.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

You mean other than the bestiary?

So am I just imagining things? I went the entire game using yrden and it only slowed things a bit but in HoS it regularly paralyzed some enemies into not taking any action at all.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

So am I just imagining things? I went the entire game using yrden and it only slowed things a bit but in HoS it regularly paralyzed some enemies into not taking any action at all.

At high enough Sign Intensity it basically becomes a time stop zone. So either you're imagining things or got a bunch of additional Intensity for the expansion, I think

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Are you thinking specifically of the frog prince? Because that's essentially his boss gimmick.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Mostly saw it on spiders and flaming rose knights. Went out and tried it again on some bandit camps in west Velen and never saw it happen once.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I only used Yrden to be able to hit ghosts harder.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Every time I use yrden against ghosts if there's more than one they flip the gently caress out and combo the gently caress out of poor Geralt. It almost makes me want to ignore their weakness because of it, though they usually don't do too much damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Im a quen spamming bitch boy so i never used Yrden too much except when I panicked.. but the alternate Yrden looks really useful, especially for crowd control (the one where it keeps shooting little yrden lasers at enemies).