Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
No. She's not unpredictable. She doesn't do poo poo but lay there. She doesn't look out the window. She doesn't move around. She doesn't bark. Again, she loving just lays there.

E: Look, I get it. My chihuahua wants to jump from seat to seat, look out every window, etc. She gets strapped into the snoozer when in the car. When I say the Pom just lays there, I really mean it. Shifting gears is a bigger distraction than she is.

PenisMonkey fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

You are the person we share the road with.

Get the goddamn dog in the backseat.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You should seek treatment for whatever mental condition you have that requires you to drive around with a dog in your lap to achieve completeness

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

PenisMonkey posted:

No. She's not unpredictable.

:ohdearsass: when you veer off the road and into a ditch because the pom just clawed you in the balls i hope you don't kill anyone

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He's a dude and you heard what kind of dogs he has, obviously he is not right so please leave him alone and don't dogpile

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
he's going to catch a face full of airbag powered Pomeranian and the mental image of it is amazing

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I think the dog is cute. The image of a fluff dog smashed into a crotch by a gas generator less so

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
People with pomeranians are usually insane. It's a symptom. Fortunately they tend to be unhealthy little inbred fuckers like pugs and die off relatively quickly.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I once drove from San Antonio to Portland in a moving truck and my dog spent the entire first half of the trip in the passenger seat. Then I picked up my wife in Denver and the dog moved to the floor between us. Then she figured out she could share the seat with my wife by climbing into her lap and laying down, still able to sniff out the window.

Then she tried it on my lap.

45lbs of unpredictable chow/heeler wasn't a distraction :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only because nothing went wrong.

Which is how humans tend to work, nothing is dangerous until after there's a tragedy.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

xzzy posted:

Only because nothing went wrong.

Which is how humans tend to work, nothing is dangerous until after there's a tragedy.

Nah, it was dangerous as gently caress and I shouldn't have let her up but taking the picture was worth whatever cost in human life we might have spent getting it. She is a backseat dog through and through, the moving truck just didn't have a backseat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A couple of weeks ago I passed a tiny Asian woman driving about 45mph on I-580 while holding a large (toddler-sized) dog in her lap. Her arms were stretched around its body, barely touching the steering wheel, and she was clearly craning her neck to see past its head.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

nsaP posted:

He's a dude and you heard what kind of dogs he has, obviously he is not right so please leave him alone and don't dogpile

gently caress you Chihuahuas are awesome. The Pom, yea I can see your point.

go3 posted:

he's going to catch a face full of airbag powered Pomeranian and the mental image of it is amazing

Yes it is, thank you for this.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Last night I witnessed a Honda Odyssey driving <40 mph in the lefthand lane of a 55 mph road, despite having a clear 2 mile shot ahead of them. A tanker truck loaded with fuel came right up behind them and did the flash to pass thing because he was angling for a left exit about a mile down the road. Mind you, I could see the heads of the van being fully loaded snap forward as the Odyssey brake checked the semi before speeding up <50 mph. Unsurprisingly a half mile later the odyssey had slowed down and the truck came up on its bumper flashing once again having maintained the same speed I was going. This time the van sped up unprompted. Left exit comes up and the Van takes it, slowing down to 25 mph to take a 40mph advisory speed turn causing the truck to have to heavy break, laying on the airhorn for at least 20 secs

TL:DR I watched a Van and a Semi-truck attempt to antagoinize each other into vehicular homicide.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

go3 posted:

Or he'll have the windows open just ONE time and the dog will spaz, jump out, and he'll dead stop in traffic and cause a 9 car pile up because he needs to see if Pookie survived. His mentality is the same of the idiots that think "I can talk on my cell and drive, I'm a multi-tasker!" right before getting decapitated in a rear end collision with a semi.

Personally, I don't give two shits about what happens to distracted idiots behind the wheel, as long as they don't take out innocent bystanders. Might as well drive that pile of poo poo car off a bridge and die already, at least then they'd be contributing to something: worm food and plant fertilizer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, driving off a bridge won't work because it'll cost the city tens of thousands of dollars to pay divers to recover his dead dumb rear end.

Best option is to seal himself in a garage and leave the engine running.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
We had some rain today. Not very intense but heavy at times. Half the people on the highway going 30 with their hazards on, half going 60 driving like normal human beings with eyeballs and brains. How loving dense do you have to be to not realize that poo poo causes way more accidents and issues than if you just drove normally? If you're that scared of some rain get off the goddamn road and wait it out.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
drat driving goons are dark. Also, wouldn't salaried divers get paid whether or not they're scooping up that poster?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I think another goon here or in another thread made a point that if someone cares so little about their safety or that of others, they can go gently caress themselves. I can't stand that poo poo and have had too many close calls, or witnessed other accidents caused by careless assholes trying to text or talk while driving. Last year I actually had a manager at my job (who thankfully left about 7 months ago) bitch me out for not picking up my cell when I was on call. While I was driving after a snow storm that dropped nearly a foot of snow that wasn't plowed yet, at almost 9 in the morning, trying to avoid idiots, and hooning through a few drifts to go to a client site to help power up servers. Best part was the owner and VP, along with my direct manager, all agreed that I was in the right and the other douche manager was an idiot.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My favorite part of my last driving job was that "sorry, I was driving" was an ironclad excuse for ignoring your phone at any time during working hours.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
It's dark.

It's raining.

I am the person you share the road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0R27al-Ipw

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Indeed you are.

Please buckle up your pet while driving.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

lol single car crash across the street

apparently my mom overheard the driver say he "fell asleep at the wheel", hit the mailbox and flipped. hmmm....

only passengers were the driver and his dog.

i feel bad for the dog, poor thing must be shook up.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Any word on the breed of the dog?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Some stupid venting/tales:

1) Just cruising around tonight I was at a red light and heard the telltale deep crunch of a low speed collision, looked over to the gas station on my right and saw a mid nineties Camry full on people had just backed directly into a G35 sedan. No idea what had happened leading up to that, but the G35 appeared to be parked at the pump directly behind where the Camry was and going by the sound that I heard clear as day with my windows up and music playing the Camry had to be going at the very least 10-15mph in reverse. The G35 was empty and there was nobody by the pump (unless they dove out of the way) so I'm guessing that the owner had been inside the store at the time. I decided to turn around to check it out after going about 1/2 a mile and by the time I was back at the gas station both cars were gone. No way the G35 got off with barely a scratch, I was planning on giving my contact info as a witness if the scene wasn't full of crazy. Sorry but not even mandated rear view cameras will save people from themselves.

2) Earlier before this I had a driver 4-5 car lengths in front of me turning right and they flashed the person that was stopped and turning left out of the street they were turning as they began making the turn (I had planned on proceeding without slowing down and figured the car taking a left would instead wait for me to pass by...nope). The flashed car then blindly left turned out in front of me as I was going ~30mph. Not a close call by any means but I came to a stop and hit the horn twice. The flashed car stopped directly in front of me now with a deer in the headlights look and the other one did was well mid turn. Both drivers just blankly stared at me but I just waited for them both to turn and go away. I hate this poo poo - and these days I rarely ever signal people to turn out in front of me on busy roads while at speed because they either aren't paying attention or it will increase the odds of them doing something profoundly stupid last minute...and of course just because I see them and recognize what they are doing doesn't mean that every driver in their vicinity does. Flashing drivers waiting to turn out onto a free flowing 4 lane undivided highway with a median strip is like one step below attempted vehicular manslaughter (especially nowadays when things are getting worse and worse by the day) in my opinion.

3) I had what I guess was a blind and/or senile old man almost walk out in front of me to cross a busy 40mph road (no crosswalk, no sign, no nothing) on Christmas morning. Initially thought they were curbside putting out garbage and as I realized the situation I slowed down and went wide around them they appeared to snap to attention and move back. I flashed and waved like a crazy person at the approaching group of oncoming traffic because at that point the guy was slowly making his way across the middle of the road and if they were on their phones I was going to see that loving dude die violently in my rear view mirror and ruin my holiday break.

Not really related but I had a completely car ignorant friend talking about himself having Progressive Snapshot and in earnest selling the merits to me for insurance on my new Fiesta ST and I simply replied "Yeah but I don't think that would work for me" ...? "I don't have Progressive".

El Jebus posted:

I once drove from San Antonio to Portland in a moving truck and my dog spent the entire first half of the trip in the passenger seat. Then I picked up my wife in Denver and the dog moved to the floor between us. Then she figured out she could share the seat with my wife by climbing into her lap and laying down, still able to sniff out the window.

Then she tried it on my lap.

45lbs of unpredictable chow/heeler wasn't a distraction :colbert:

lol I don't even like having my backpack resting on my passenger seat unless it's buckled in, and loose gatorade/water bottles typically get put on the rear floor to reduce the chance of taking one to the dome when I get on off the highway. Maybe it's me but I can't even focus on watching a movie on TV with my dog climbing all over me much less drive a car.

also

http://www.buydropstop.com/

:suicide:

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 27, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think we can make a blanket rule that all phones and or pets are an immediate life threatening danger. I have survived driving down the interstate while using my phone hands free, and similarly I have survived driving down a barren interstate, on cruise control, with an extremely sick cat sleeping in my lap. The cat is no longer with us, this is clearly a result of the road vibrations in combination with radiation from the cell phone causing his kidneys to spontaneously combust become inflamed with cancer cells. Don't drink (anything, not even McDonalds coffee) and drive, don't talk and drive, don't hold pets and drive! For the love of God just don't even drive at all, people die! From cars! Everyday!
And don't slide your phone under the seat and then stare down at it like a dumb rear end in an attempt to sell products.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
Distractions are things that happen to other people.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I've modeled my interior from Death Proof to eliminate all distractions.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Those of you who drive on the Merritt Parkway (Connecticut Route 15) already know it's a deathtrap between the falling trees, no merging ramps, and sharp curves. On Christmas Eve, I figured out a fantastic new way to die on there. While traffic was flowing about 20 over the 55mph limit, some guy three cars in front of me slammed on his brakes, going from 75 to about 20, causing a chain reaction of braking. Thanks to my ABS there were no accidents, but there was quite a lot of squealing and tire smoke both from my car and an SUV in front of me. There was absolutely no reason to stop there either - nothing was blocking the road, and the weather was fine - and everyone got back up to 75 in a matter of minutes.

Unrelated, later on my trip, going through New Jersey, I saw a bunch of lights flashing in the grassy median of one of the highways; when I passed them, it turned out there was a cop car on its side in the median, with another cop car parked next to it and three of them just standing looking at it. These are the cops you share a road with.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Crotch Fruit posted:

I don't think we can make a blanket rule that all phones and or pets are an immediate life threatening danger. I have survived...

Humans are terrible at assessing risk. TERRIBLE AT ASSESSING RISKS, LIKE, FOR EXAMPLE, THE RISKS OF DISTRACTED DRIVING.

So instead of letting the individual fallible human decide what's risky (and probably get it wrong)...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never been eaten by a shark so I fully advocate swimming amongst them, the risk is overrated.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I saw a man try to turn left from the rightmost lane of a 5-lane one-way street. He only avoided causing an accident because either the other guy queued at the light didn't realize it had turned green, or (I really hope, to regain a shred of hope for humanity) he realized he should just stay put until the moron got out of his way.

Further, this was in downtown Calgary, which is essentially a perfect grid system with no irregularities whatsoever. There is no excuse for not going to the next block. Ever.

EDIT: I presume he had to do what he did because it was his favourite way. Going to the next block would only have satisfied 99% of his requirements!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Humans are terrible at assessing risk. TERRIBLE AT ASSESSING RISKS, LIKE, FOR EXAMPLE, THE RISKS OF DISTRACTED DRIVING.

So instead of letting the individual fallible human decide what's risky (and probably get it wrong)...

The problem is finding a balanced solution that pleases everyone. Laws against animals being in cars unrestrained will make pretty much all animal owners flip their poo poo, while NOT making laws or rules like that will have everyone complaining that nothing is being done. Any time I think of someone with an animal in the car I worry about situations like this:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

xzzy posted:

I've never been eaten by a shark so I fully advocate swimming amongst them, the risk is overrated.

On Playa la Ropa in Zihuatenejo Mexico there is an estuary that in certain times of the year drains into the ocean. Crocodiles live in the estuary and feed at night, so occasionally in the morning you see them returning home. This is in the very same area where people sit on the beach or go swimming. I found this fascinating for 2 reasons: 1. This would never exist in the US because we regulate everything out of existence so we don't have to use common sense and 2. Idiot tourists would get very close to the crocs by wading out or riding up to them on jetskis. It was my theory that these people assumed that since we were in a "controlled environment" that the behavior of those crocs would also be controlled and predictable. I based this on the assumption that someone wouldn't walk up to a croc if they were alone in the jungle.

Of course this has nothing to do with driving or even sharks, but it does say something about risk assessment skills of the average American.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Ozz81 posted:

The problem is finding a balanced solution that pleases everyone. Laws against animals being in cars unrestrained will make pretty much all animal owners flip their poo poo, while NOT making laws or rules like that will have everyone complaining that nothing is being done. Any time I think of someone with an animal in the car I worry about situations like this:

Call out lovely animal owners that don't love their pet enough to secure them, problem solved!

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Sorry, I'm too distracted by my dog to take your advice.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Gorson posted:

On Playa la Ropa in Zihuatenejo Mexico there is an estuary that in certain times of the year drains into the ocean. Crocodiles live in the estuary and feed at night, so occasionally in the morning you see them returning home. This is in the very same area where people sit on the beach or go swimming. I found this fascinating for 2 reasons: 1. This would never exist in the US because we regulate everything out of existence so we don't have to use common sense and 2. Idiot tourists would get very close to the crocs by wading out or riding up to them on jetskis. It was my theory that these people assumed that since we were in a "controlled environment" that the behavior of those crocs would also be controlled and predictable. I based this on the assumption that someone wouldn't walk up to a croc if they were alone in the jungle.

Of course this has nothing to do with driving or even sharks, but it does say something about risk assessment skills of the average American.

Similar to how people walk up to "docile" bison in Yellowstone and then are surprised when a 1 ton + wild animal doesn't act predictably.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
ugh jesus christ you drive with your dog on your lap? you make me sick. loving hell. Don't you know if something happened you could hurt or kill yourself or someone else. You risk-taking idiot shitwad I am so angry gotta go let off some steam *gets in miata and drives very fast on twisty roads*

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TNO posted:

Distractions are things that happen to other people.

Agreed, this is why I always remove the stereo, mirrors, gauge cluster, anything else on the dashboard with lights and then build a blackout box around the driver seat so as to eliminate any distractions that might draw my attention away from staring straight ahead at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
A friend of my girlfriend has a helper dog. She has no really functional hands, yet is convinced that she can hold on to her dog in the car, instead of strapping the animal in.

I've time and again tried to convince her that she has no hope in hell of holding a 45kg shepherd, especially considering the dog weighs about as much as she does.

The last time I had to really put my foot down and refused to take the dog along unless she secured it properly. Now she refuses to ride with me because I am so unreasonable about her dog.

Either way solves the problem for me. No more unsecured dog in my car.