Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I do wonder if it was a conscious decision for him to play Kilgrave exactly like Ten.

I think that helped make Kilgrave all the more creepy. I would almost start to like him because of his similarity to Ten and then he'd go and do something like lick a face or make someone slit their throat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
So how's your Christmas Eve? I've officially made a new tradition: Bad Doctor Who Christmas Eve. Last year was spent falling asleep to Warriors On The Deep. This time is far more extravagant.

Chips and dip, a nice mixed drink, and the classic debut of the Sixth Doctor as given to me by a good pal. What fun we are going to have!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I watch Blackadder's Christmas Carol.

Nicola Bryant could've beaten Bonnie Langford for sheer volume if they'd let her.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The_Doctor posted:

I do wonder if it was a conscious decision for him to play Kilgrave exactly like Ten.

It was a fantastic choice no matter why it was made, since it adds a lot of emotional context to the character. He doesn't get much direct play for the first half or so of the show, so you don't actually get a strong grasp of who he is, you just know what he does. And sure, it doesn't entirely matter who he is until he starts becoming more of a presence, but before then you can get a really good idea of who he is by just realizing how much like Ten he is.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreezingInferno posted:

So how's your Christmas Eve? I've officially made a new tradition: Bad Doctor Who Christmas Eve. Last year was spent falling asleep to Warriors On The Deep. This time is far more extravagant.

Chips and dip, a nice mixed drink, and the classic debut of the Sixth Doctor as given to me by a good pal. What fun we are going to have!

That's a good tradition!

For me, it's a candlelit service, Die Hard, an early bed and an early rise, and listening to The Chimes of Midnight during the ride to and from my in-laws house.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Christmastime is the only time of year me and my sister watch Doctor Who at the same time, since we both go to our parents' house. That's good enough for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

CobiWann posted:

That's a good tradition!

For me, it's a candlelit service, Die Hard, an early bed and an early rise, and listening to The Chimes of Midnight during the ride to and from my in-laws house.

I can't Die Hard so I will have to have Good Who Christmas Day, The Deadly Assassin!

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Happy Feast of Stephen Eve Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox8QYFvltIw
edit: Hartnell original style w/ recon animation link- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvqeixdSSP0

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 25, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress.

The christmas episode is on at 5:15PM UK time, even before lovely Crude Prancing.

What is the BBC doing? Are they returning the show to a time slot where a family show can actually be watched by the whole family?

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

This was my Christmas present from my girlfriend. Now, to get her hooked on Big Finish!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hey hey here's a cracker of a joke!
Q: Why was River Song really arrested?

A: For smuggling!

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Dabir posted:

*Hoists gun* How many regenerations?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Speaking of K9, I just got through Creature from the Pit and I do not like the new voice. I don't like the new Romana either so its been a downer of a season for me. At least Destiny of the Daleks wasn't awful and City of Death turned out good too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Short runs are the price we pay for lead actors that are, quite frankly, a lot better than this show deserves

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Short runs are the price we pay for lead actors that are, quite frankly, a lot better than this show deserves

Interesting way to look at it. Not sure if it's right or if it's wrong.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cliff Racer posted:

Speaking of K9, I just got through Creature from the Pit and I do not like the new voice. I don't like the new Romana either so its been a downer of a season for me. At least Destiny of the Daleks wasn't awful and City of Death turned out good too.

I thought Lalla Ward was rubbish at first as well, took me a while to get used to her. I don't think she ever gets as good as Mary Tamm was but it's fun for the doctor to have a companion pretty close to his level and with a similar attitude to everything.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Merry Christmas everybody :)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Topical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1AjE4eDH8

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hans Zimmer's best work.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was goofy fun with some cheesy moments, but everything from River realizing who she was standing next to up to the ending was really drat good, I thought.

Now the interminably long wait for the next season begins :gonk:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

NowonSA posted:

Goddamn I would have loved to see both of those. I'd have to give the edge to Cumberbatch.

I think theatre doesn't get the respect it deserves, particularly when it involves big name actors (Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen come to mind). The idea of seeing a big deal actor live is exciting, but seeing them perform live seems like a hell of a time, even if it costs hundreds of dollars.

Live theatre is,to coin a phrase, fantastic; in the UK, anyway, there have been directives to lower ticket prices in order for more people to enjoy it.

I never got to see David Tennant as Hamlet, but did see him do Richard II (which was lovely) and Much Ado About Nothing with Catherine Tate (which was terrific -- they have fab chemistry and comic timing!), a moody Eccleston as Creon in Antigone, and Paul McGann a few years back as a gangster in a play with Dominic West.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I wasn't too impressed with Capalidis run last year, and to be honest I only watched the first two episodes of this season and completely lost interest. I wish I hadn't because I loved this Christmas episode. The big robot crap I can do without, but everything to do with the Doctor and River was pure gold, and really tied up her whole story arc magnificently.
This has to be the best Christmas special so far. No Coleman, who I didn't miss in any shape or form, was a huge bonus, I wonder what happened to her? I think ill have to catch up on this last season.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
I was happy with this being a nice fun breather episode, but bogging it down in continuity for the last bit didn't sit well with me.

Speaking of River though, this is out tomorrow... http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-diary-of-river-song-series-01-1313

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I really enjoyed that episode, it was fun and sad and heartwarming without having Christmas forced into it beyond the time the last scene was set.

I think that was my favourite Christmas special of all of them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

For me it's still a toss-up between Christmas Carol and Last Christmas for best Christmas special so far. I think I have to give the nod (just barely) to Last Christmas if only for the final scene of the Doctor and Clara excitedly rushing downstairs to the TARDIS like kids on... well, Christmas!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
That was silly, fun, but quiet sweet. In other words, a great Christmas special.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

That was goofy fun with some cheesy moments, but everything from River realizing who she was standing next to up to the ending was really drat good, I thought.

Now the interminably long wait for the next season begins :gonk:

I liked the immediate shift from the besotted look Capaldi's giving her in that scene to them bickering to them revealing it was mostly them riffing to buy time. Actually has me a bit more confident in the Diary audio set and Doom Coalition, because the trailer for the former made it sound like Kingston was just going to shout and overact her way through it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I quite liked that.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

what a load of pish

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't dislike it but I didn't really think much of it. It wasn't bad but it wasn't especially good either. It was about on par with "Voyage of the Damned" which wasn't really much of anything either. "Unadventurous" is probably the word I'd use. Granted, my expectations weren't high. This is the way of things. Christmas specials alternate from year to year in terms of quality; there's never been two good ones in a row.

In any case, I have lots of new things to watch now. I got all three seasons (so far) of Continuum and all three seasons of Millennium for Christmas (I was a bit put out because the DVDs for seasons one and two of Millennium had slipcases but the third one didn't - it's funny how that sort of thing happens).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

For me it's still a toss-up between Christmas Carol and Last Christmas for best Christmas special so far. I think I have to give the nod (just barely) to Last Christmas if only for the final scene of the Doctor and Clara excitedly rushing downstairs to the TARDIS like kids on... well, Christmas!

Yeah, I haven't seen today's yet (it's not on local TV for another 5-6 hours) but so far those are my favorites as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The "It's bigger on the inside" scene was just wonderful. I love Capaldi so much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

It's actually available for purchase right now!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And that was probably the least insufferable River Song has ever been. Good way to cap off her story Moff.

Of course he'll send Twelve on a quest to get her a new android body so she can escape the computer she's living in.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I liked the Giant Head Swapping Robot, it was probably the best villain out of all the Christmas episodes, which isn't really saying much. :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
That was good Who. Very good Who.

E: and I have no idea whether it's come up in this thread (probably) but a bunch of Big Finish audiobooks are in a Humble Bundle at the moment.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

That was a really fun bit of nonsense until the final scene. Then I got a bit misty-eyed. Moffat's really on a roll since series 8. :allears:

On a related note, I recently rewatched the main arcs of series 6 and 7, and they're both rubbish. Series 6 barely even makes sense. Why didn't the Doctor just tell River that everything was under control? Series 7 technically makes sense. It's just more crammed than that MST3K episode about the Japanese series that got condensed into a very confusing film. (I'm thinking of Time of the Apes.)

And More fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Dabir posted:

"Knock, knock."
"Who's there?"

1: Of course I am, hmph. Now, open this door I say! Young Chatterton seems to have wedged himself into a- now what is that thing? I shall have to take a sample. Never mind the doors and do fetch me a trowel and bucket, there's a good entity. Hmmm.

2: I say, how did you know? It's quite nice to be recognized. Any case, don't panic. I'm sure there's a perfectly innocent and safe explanation for why I'm at your door. Quickly now. They're probably not right at our heels or anything... like... that. Oh, hello. Can you help us with this door? No? Very well. Must be off. Jamie, Zoe, sprightly now.

3: I think you'll find that command of this door has been recently re-assigned to me. Never mind reading the entire document, I assure you everything is in order. If you value your career and the lives of every man on this base you must do as I say! And have someone wash my car.

4: What a fascinatingly primitive structure this is. You know, I was there when doors were invented. It's a particularly interesting tale since it was right before they realized that locks would also be useful. Speaking of locks, someone seems to have picked yours while we were talking just now. You should probably have that looked at. Anyway, hello. I'm the Doctor. Don't mind me, I'm off to find you a qualified doorsmith.

5: Well done! I wasn't sure if you'd remember me since it's been a few hundred years since I last saved your society, but I suppose android memory banks aren't as corruptible as they thought. Do please let us in before the sigma-radiation and lack of air becomes a problem. Also you're all in danger.

6: How did a lesser intellect like you figure that out? Was it the 7, no 8, armed security drones pointed at my head? Do be sure to send me the recording, I'm looking especially fabulous today. Now LET ME IN.

7: Yes, I am. Arrrn't I. But on which side of wwhich door have I knocked? Are you quite sure? Look again.

8: Am I? Doesn't sound like me. I don't knock much, as a rule. I'll come round again when I'm more myself. Oh dear, I seem to have let my "self" in. Now you can go outside, you knock and I'll guess.

• Locked thread