Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Firstborn posted:

Goggins is great I just hope he isn't typecasted.

I think it's too late for that. Has he ever not played a racist character?

And yeah Tarantino's narration is definitely the low point of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SeANMcBAY posted:

And yeah Tarantino's narration is definitely the low point of the movie.
I actually enjoyed it :shobon: It took me by surprise and I laughed my rear end off when I realized what was happening. I was glad it was only done briefly, though, and not through the whole runtime. That would've gotten annoying.

Was his narration just part of the roadshow version? I'm assuming it was because he's filling the audience in about what happened before the intermission, and there is no intermission in the regular version.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Was his narration just part of the roadshow version? I'm assuming it was because he's filling the audience in about what happened before the intermission, and there is no intermission in the regular version.

But there's still the fifteen minute gap to account for, intermission or no.

Don't know if this happened to anyone else, but in my theater the film broke twice, once with the full melting frame effect during one of Kurt Russell's closeups. I was convinced it was all part of the show until it happened a second time. If this is the last movie I ever see on actual film, at least I can say I had the full experience.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Question for y'all who saw the roadshow version: Did you get your collectible program? Because I sure didn't :smith:

Almost everyone in my theater seemed to have one, but I didn't get one. I don't even know where I would've gotten one. The ticket ripper wasn't handing them out, and there wasn't someone handing them out at the entrance to the theater either. And I got to the theater half an hour early, so if it was a "while supplies last" type deal, I don't think I would've missed it.

Where I went (Arundel Mills in MD) they were sitting on a table right inside the seating area. If anyone wants I can take mediocre phone pictures of all the pages; it doesn't have much in it besides a page or two about how it got started and made and some behind-the-scenes pictures but it's kinda neat. :)

Also god drat is 70mm wide. It really did a fantastic job of making the landscape feel truly empty and lonely, and I'm curious exactly which shots got cut out for the general release.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

But there's still the fifteen minute gap to account for, intermission or no.

Don't know if this happened to anyone else, but in my theater the film broke twice, once with the full melting frame effect during one of Kurt Russell's closeups. I was convinced it was all part of the show until it happened a second time. If this is the last movie I ever see on actual film, at least I can say I had the full experience.

Just saw it in Seattle, then? I was really glad nothing worse happened and I didn't miss more of the movie. I got nervous when it started melting.

The movie was fantastic. Great writing, memorable characters, real pretty cinematography and costumes, basically everything I expected it to be. My one major complaint was Channing Tatum. He's a lovely actor and can't do an accent to save his life. Other than that, the performances were top notch. Jennifer Jason Leigh might have given my favorite performance.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Mullitt posted:

Just saw it in Seattle, then?

Sup Pacific Place buddy. :respek:

It was a good crowd. Lots of great reactions. And I admit that I was one of the two people that laughed at the Red Apple Tobacco joke.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

Sup Pacific Place buddy. :respek:

It was a good crowd. Lots of great reactions. And I admit that I was one of the two people that laughed at the Red Apple Tobacco joke.

I want to know if Kurt Russell read the whole letter in that scene we missed because of the film melting. Hearing Walton Goggins read it at the end was hilarious and I'm not sure if it would have been as funny if I had heard the whole thing earlier.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mullitt posted:

I want to know if Kurt Russell read the whole letter in that scene we missed because of the film melting. Hearing Walton Goggins read it at the end was hilarious and I'm not sure if it would have been as funny if I had heard the whole thing earlier.
"'Ol' Mary Todd is calling.' Nice touch :v: "

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Firstborn posted:

Also you should've gotten like Sam Elliot to narrate, not Tarantino himself.

One of the primary things that just ruined for me, it sounded like someone recorded him explaining it to some executive.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rocksicles posted:

One of the primary things that just ruined for me, it sounded like someone recorded him explaining it to some executive.

Didn't he do public readings of the script a few times last year? Maybe it was taken from that.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

Question for y'all who saw the roadshow version: Did you get your collectible program? Because I sure didn't :smith:

Almost everyone in my theater seemed to have one, but I didn't get one. I don't even know where I would've gotten one. The ticket ripper wasn't handing them out, and there wasn't someone handing them out at the entrance to the theater either. And I got to the theater half an hour early, so if it was a "while supplies last" type deal, I don't think I would've missed it.

I had to walk up and ask the front desk afterwards to get her to hand me one, cause she certainly didn't when I went up and swiped to get the pre-purchase tickets and mentioned Hateful Eight.

It didn't become my favorite Tarantino film (Jackie Brown), but I enjoyed the movie a whole lot, and I think the 70mm was a lot of the reason. I am not well versed in all things film so I don't have any meaningful thoughts for critique.

I was very surprised at the theater being full for a 9:45pm showing on Christmas Eve.

DKWildz fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 25, 2015

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Are we to assume both characters at the end died of blood loss or what have you? That's the feeling I got.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Zotix posted:

Are we to assume both characters at the end died of blood loss or what have you? That's the feeling I got.

Yeah, that's what I got, too.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yes. They're still at the start of a two day blizzard. They're hosed.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know why every screener isn't a self-destructing, time-limited Vimeo link at this point, which is what I usually get for festival review screeners. You could probably still grab the video with software but I would think it'd cut down on physical copes just randomly going missing.

They tried that one year (2009?), everyone over 40 complained and the dvd screeners came back.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Most people who get screeners are old, but I absolutely hate the links they send out. You have a limited number of attempts and the stream will just randomly die on you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was meh at first at the idea of a movie taking place almost entirely in one room, but it ends up working to the movies advantage. This film has a great premise and interesting plot twists. I enjoyed it a lot. I also liked Django Unchained, Kill Bill, and Pulp Fiction from Tarantino.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
A program :allears:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zotix posted:

That place is going to be a huge mess for the next people to come by and no one capable of cleaning up. :/

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

blue squares posted:

Yes. They're still at the start of a two day blizzard. They're hosed.

This is interesting because I was fully prepared for night scenes where everyone is asleep or pretending to be, and some character says "naw motherfucker I'm staying up all night" and all of these. I thought for sure the blizzard would end before the movie did, but these hateful basterds can't even go a single day without murdering each other.
Everyone talks about the black dingus scene, but I honestly thought Jackson's best line was concerning the sign that said "no dogs, no mexicans" and it was only taken down because they started to allow in dogs.
Kurt Russel owns so much in this, and how cruel he is in juxtaposition to immediately thinking he is the one to root for was great. Some of his lines I could SWEAR I heard Jack Burton from Big Trouble in the delivery. I really hope we is suddenly in a lot more things, because I missed the hell out of him in these sort of roles instead of the dad movie poo poo he's done.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 25, 2015

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Rocksicles posted:

This is exactly why I found it so funny and enjoyable

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
Just saw this at AMC Lincoln Square in Manhattan. Some poor shmuck usher had to come out beforehand and let everyone know that there were problems with the 70mm and that the showing would be in digital. I was disappointed for a few seconds but realized that it's not the end of the world (I was more disappointed that I missed the extra footage), and I still got the program and to see the movie, which was Hateful Great.

That being said, I wonder if they even have a 70mm projector or just lied about it and always just planned to show the digital version.

Also, gently caress every movie theater that doesn't have assigned seating.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

centaurtainment posted:

Stop showing up late, plebe

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Saw this today. I really liked it a lot.

How did you all feel about Bruce Dern's character? The movie ended up painting him as way more sympathetic than I expected.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zotix posted:

Yea. Just like at the end of The Thing, both chars are alive but completely hosed and will die eventually.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea. Just like at the end of The Thing, both chars are alive but completely hosed and will die eventually.

not in the video game which is canon apparently. macredy survives and later rescuers u or some poo poo in a helocopter. i poo poo you not.

I could easily see this being presented on the stage. It very much has that structure. And the dialogue and humor are very much textbook Tarantino, but I feel like they could still transition seamlessly to the stage. I'm honestly not a fan of the vast majority of Westerns, but this sort of structure along with the the rapid-fire yet intelligent dialogue and humor made it a great experience overall.

yeah thats what it felt like for me too. I might not have liked it as lot of other people here. but the idea was at least interesting.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

centaurtainment posted:

Just saw this at AMC Lincoln Square in Manhattan. Some poor shmuck usher had to come out beforehand and let everyone know that there were problems with the 70mm and that the showing would be in digital. I was disappointed for a few seconds but realized that it's not the end of the world (I was more disappointed that I missed the extra footage), and I still got the program and to see the movie, which was Hateful Great.

That being said, I wonder if they even have a 70mm projector or just lied about it and always just planned to show the digital version.

Yup, was at this showing. What was also annoying is they made everyone leave after being seated for 45 min (before show time) and stand in line outside so they could do something (try and fix the projector?). There was already a decent line outside so we had to move to the back of it. Luckily they let us leave our stuff on the seats and nobody moved it, because I would've been pissed if I showed up 90 min early for a movie and got some lovely corner seats.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I like Tarantino/his movies and find most of the criticisms thrown his way to be unfair (especially the "he just wants to say the n-word!" argument). However, the entire audience at my showing cackled with glee at every racist line and every time Ruth beat the poo poo out of Daisy. They laughed so hard and joyously that I felt gross walking out of the theater. I don't really know what to make of this, or where the line should be drawn for artist's intentions vs. artist's reception, but I wonder -- did anyone else have a similar experience?

On a lighter note, my favorite running gag in this movie is the pronunciation of Domergue.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

trip9 posted:

Yup, was at this showing. What was also annoying is they made everyone leave after being seated for 45 min (before show time) and stand in line outside so they could do something (try and fix the projector?). There was already a decent line outside so we had to move to the back of it. Luckily they let us leave our stuff on the seats and nobody moved it, because I would've been pissed if I showed up 90 min early for a movie and got some lovely corner seats.

Hence my comment about assigned seating theaters being better...the Internet is the great equalizer and keeps us all from wasting time showing up early and still maybe not getting a good seat.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Just saw the 70mm version. Pretty meh on the experience. Some great moments and lines of dialogue but overall I wasn't very engaged with the "plot" or any of the characters. None of the characters really felt memorable in that distinct Tarantino way. Like he always apes genre stereotypes but he gives them dialogue and qualities that make them feel like Tarantino characters, and this just felt like he didn't go beyond just aping stereotypes. Daisy was the closest to feeling like a real Tarantino character but she felt underdeveloped compared to most of the rest of the cast.

I was honestly kinda disappointed with Kurt Russell. He felt underutilized and like he never really got a big defining moment. I love Sam Jackson and Walton Goggins but I've seen both of these characters so many times that it did nothing for me. Madsen, Roth and Bechir felt totally wasted. I thought Bruce Dern was used the best for the amount of screen time he got. He got to do a lot of actual acting between his outburst and his reacting to Jackson's story.

Just really disappointed, honestly. Definitely felt like a step back.

And this movie is the first time I've ever agreed with people saying Tarantino overuses the n-word. I thought it worked in Django Unchained because the movie put a lot of effort into showing the ugliness of slavery and I feel like it couldn't have done so effectively if it steered clear of that word, but here it's like, okay they're hillbilly racists, we get it, a couple times to show that would have been fine but it's well into the double digits and I think every major character uses the word at least once and I have a hard time finding a justification other than "historical accuracy" which the rest of the dialogue sure as hell isn't so I don't know how that's a reasonable justification.

Naet posted:

I like Tarantino/his movies and find most of the criticisms thrown his way to be unfair (especially the "he just wants to say the n-word!" argument). However, the entire audience at my showing cackled with glee at every racist line and every time Ruth beat the poo poo out of Daisy. They laughed so hard and joyously that I felt gross walking out of the theater. I don't really know what to make of this, or where the line should be drawn for artist's intentions vs. artist's reception, but I wonder -- did anyone else have a similar experience?

Yes. It was weird because it definitely felt intended to be humorous, but I didn't laugh at it and was kinda weirded out how hard some people did.

Meanwhile my gf and I cracked up at Sam Jackson saying diabolical bitch in slow motion and nobody else in the theater seemed to laugh at all. That poo poo was hilarious.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Back from the Toronto screening at Varsity Theatre. I can't believe how packed it was for a 2 PM screening on Christmas but I guess I wasn't the only one chomping at the bit to see this. :v: I don't know how they cut things out of this for the general release; I don't feel like anything could be lost. I'll echo some of the sentiment here that it feels a bit safe after Tarantino's last two movies, but I still enjoyed it immensely. It's like a really violent Glengarry Glen Ross.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

Back from the Toronto screening at Varsity Theatre. I can't believe how packed it was for a 2 PM screening on Christmas but I guess I wasn't the only one chomping at the bit to see this. :v: I don't know how they cut things out of this for the general release; I don't feel like anything could be lost. I'll echo some of the sentiment here that it feels a bit safe after Tarantino's last two movies, but I still enjoyed it immensely. It's like a really violent Glengarry Glen Ross.

The only thing you missed is an opening musical number and an intermission, and someone correct me of i'm wrong but some of the wide shots of the landscapes are missing as well? Minor stuff.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I should be clear that I did see the roadshow version; I actually have no idea when the general release is up here. Are they counting the intermission as part of the run time? If that's the case then yeah I can see how they chopped 20 minutes out. I got there 20 minutes before the movie started and the place was already packed, and I didn't bother trying to get a programme while the place was flooded with people leaving as well as more people lining up for the showing immediately after ours.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The theater I was in (Lincoln Square in Bellevue, WA) was probably about half-full for the 10am showing. The programs are pretty nice, with shots of the characters and a brief quote, lots of photos and information about 70mm, etc.

The film was great, the crowd overall had a pretty positive response to it. Nice timing for the intermission. Probably the best I've seen Samuel L. Jackson since Pulp Fiction.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

At the theater now to see the Point Break remake and I was able to grab one of the programs despite not getting one last night when I actually saw the movie :dance:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

EDIT: I have had drinky winky and seem to have posted in the wrong thread. drat. I will relocate this post.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 26, 2015

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
this movie was insanely nihilistic politically and the whole 2nd half was essentially a horror film

best loving thing tarantino's ever done

edit: also reading this thread I don't get people saying there was "a twist", like yeah showing that everyone in the cabin was in cahoots to free Daisy could be considered a twist but it was so incredibly foreshadowed that they were all sick sons of bitches who were ready to kill it didn't come off like it was intended to be a real surprise, other than channing tatum being in the basement ready to blow up samuel l jackson's junk. the 2nd half tone shift was incredible, even Bruce Dern's death at the end of the 1st half was practically bloodless and then as soon as Kurt Russel drinks that coffee it's just a sprint to the hateful, sadistic bottom, with the "good guys" simply being the ones with the most deserving blood on their hands

ParanoidInc fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 26, 2015

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
Went to today's sold-out screening at Arclight Hollywood, everything went smoothly except for the threesome in my seat who wrongly purchased tickets for tomorrow's showing, whoops.

The presentation and performances were great and the story and dialogue did keep my attention for its entire length in spite of its restricted setting, providing evidence that Tarantino's writing and character banter remains strong enough to do so.

On the other hand, I thought the characters were the least inspired among Tarantino's creations. Sure, many of his previous characters could be plainly described as revenge-seeking protagonists and the vicious villains that they run up against. But in the Hateful Eight, everything was more abstract, their motivations left in the sociohistorical background: there's obviously racial tension with Jackson but unlike Django, it's introduced in lengthy exposition instead of graphic scenes. Nor is it like Inglourious Basterds, where Shosanna's revenge is set up from the very first scene. It also doesn't help that half the cast don't interact with each other because they're already in cahoots. What we're left with is lovely people doing lovely things to each other, and I didn't have much interest in how they'd all end up by the conclusion. Given the ending, perhaps we're not supposed to. But even if the characters were stand-ins for bigger things, I was left wanting something a little more substantive.

Guerrand fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 26, 2015

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Naet posted:

On a lighter note, my favorite running gag in this movie is the pronunciation of Domergue.

Apparently there's nothing funnier to the people in the audience with me than graphic violence and rape. I get that it's a Tarantino movie, I just wasn't feeling the gut-busting uproarious guffaws that a lot of the theater was doing during the latter. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

FirstPlayer posted:

Apparently there's nothing funnier to the people in the audience with me than graphic violence and rape. I get that it's a Tarantino movie, I just wasn't feeling the gut-busting uproarious guffaws that a lot of the theater was doing during the latter. :/

:wtc:

My theater was dead silent during that part at least.

• Locked thread