Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
DYELIH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Look, you're already at the store, you suddenly realize you're almost out of armchairs, and you don't want to go out again just for them. That never happened to you?

I call bullshit, someone living alone in an apartment can't possibly use up a whole armchair before it goes bad.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I call bullshit, someone living alone in an apartment can't possibly use up a whole armchair before it goes bad.

Unless they have a problem with binging.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just love how the entire thing he posted just falls apart in so many ways the more you read it. The Experience project is a goldmine of bullshit and butthurt and :downswords:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

quote:

A well-intentioned co-worker took me aside as I prepared for a promotional exam, placed his hand on my shoulder and asked, “What’s your deal?”

In return I offered a puzzled look as the conversation stumbled awkwardly down a familiar path.

He continued, “You need to tone it down. People are saying you're a bit over the top. If you want to get promoted, you need to disappear."

Disappear?

I stiffened inside as I listened to his words. What was wrong with me that doing things my way went against what was socially graceful, safe, or right? It was the part of myself that I despised, but I had always seemed unable, or unwilling, to change it. What had made me such a misfit, living my life with my head lowered, so dead-set on testing limits, permanently at odds with the world around me? Why was I forever pushing upwind, uphill, and upstream?

Disappear?

I began to consider what I was being asked to do. Was I wrong? Was it me? I realized then that I was being asked to compromise what I felt was right, to realign my true north, and my heels dug in once again as they had from the moment I was born. I was being asked to do what was easy as opposed to what I knew was right. It wasn't me, quit had never been in my vocabulary, but fight and adaptation were always part of my life. History has proven that wars are won by those who are students of battle stories, those who press on despite the best efforts of those who try to hold them back.

A wide, satisfied grin spread across my face.

Oh, sorry....

Wait a minute, I'm not sorry.

I've never been a social climber.

I will not disappear. I won't be put in a box.

"Man, people are always telling me to not be so great, I don't understand!"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Buzkashi posted:

"Slow down man, you've only been here 3 months and you're just going to burn out! It's far too soon to move to the fry station!"

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.

Buzkashi posted:

A well-intentioned co-worker took me aside as I prepared for a promotional exam, placed his hand on my shoulder and asked, “What’s your deal?”

In return I offered a puzzled look as the conversation stumbled awkwardly down a familiar path.

He continued, “You are a huge tool and everybody hates you because you're full of yourself"

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
That was a good summary, deratomicdog, but you left out the ending:

quote:

A wide, satisfied grin spread across my face.

Oh, sorry....

Wait a minute, I'm not sorry.

Why are some people so proud of how big of an rear end in a top hat everyone thinks they are?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sometimes you embrace the villain everyone thinks you are

It's because you can't be anything other than a huge, unlikable titty

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Buzkashi posted:

I have a friend in a PhD program who was constantly telling stories about class where it was obvious that she was hijacking a discussion to talk about something unrelated. Her professor took her aside and politely asked her to stop or she would be asked not to participate in class. She took it about as well as the above, but she didn't get kicked out of class, so I assume she actually just stopped.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Buzkashi posted:

quote:

I realized then that I was being asked to compromise what I felt was right, to realign my true north, and my heels dug in once again as they had from the moment I was born.

"To realign my true north"

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
"I don't do well in school/work/life because I'm too smart."

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
A professor actually took me aside after class and asked me not to always be the first person to raise my hand during class discussions, because she thought my good answers were intimidating the other students into silence. I didn't realize that what I was doing was causing problems for the other students, and I resolved to not monopolize discussions in the future.

And then everyone stood up and clapped nobody clapped because there was no-one else in the room.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Buzkashi posted:

*wakes up from dream where I am the star of my very own anime* "Wow I have to tell someone about this"

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

Because I refuse to hit a woman, under any circumstance, I ended up rushed to the ER with four broken ribs, a punctured lung, a shattered humorous, and puncture in my left thigh from her stiletto high heel.

Ironic really that the feminist thing to do would have been to defend himself (i.e. treat her as he would a man and fight back) and so in a way all the injuries he suffered were down to him being sexist after all.

If it really happened, which it didn't.

Chase Derringer
Jun 19, 2011

Hello! Ma baby
Hello! Ma honey
Hello! Ma *SKREEEEEEEEEEE*
Lipstick Apathy
I've never gotten how wannabe feminists guys think that never ever hitting a girl even in self defense is going to help get them internet points. It smacks of "I'm such a nice guy I'd never even hit a girl, so I'm totally safe."

Chase Derringer has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Dec 29, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

A professor actually took me aside after class and asked me not to always be the first person to raise my hand during class discussions, because she thought my good answers were intimidating the other students into silence.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I'll thank you not to cast aspersions on the story of how my wife and I met

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'll thank you not to cast aspersions on the story of how my wife and I met

That did made me smile tbh

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

And they just happened to be in the kid's size :cheeky:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

EmmyOk posted:

If giving a pair of shoes to a little kid doesn't end racism, I don't know what will.
Please inform the police in the US to stop targeting black men. It's finally over.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Zaphod42 posted:

And they just happened to be in the kid's size :cheeky:

I'm assuming any shoe with a name is something like those rare Nikes that go for hundreds; you don't wear them, you just keep them on a shelf like anime action figures

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Kid still looks pretty down... He's clearly being made to give his shoes up on fear of a beatdown.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EmmyOk posted:

How are we to know that he's not taking the shoes? Racism is not over, sorry.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Uh, the story told us and that person would not lie to us.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Fathis Munk posted:

Uh, the story told us and that person would not lie to us.

He's so trustworthy, he capitalizes every word. That takes a lot of effort, nobody would go through all that work just for a lie.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

TheBigAristotle posted:

Well this explains a lot

Source because Adam4d splits his comics up and I don't feel like copy pasting them all.

He's Guy #1

True story.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I really hate "X guy did more drugs in a day than most people see in their lives" and other equally ridiculous claims. Its just inherently STDH bullshit.

Like if you told me he did more drugs in a year than most people did in their lives, I'd believe you, and assume he was a massive druggy. But every morning? gently caress no. That's just plain bullshit. You've exaggerated way too far.

In the beginning of Wolf of Wall Street he brags "I love drugs. On a daily basis I consume enough drugs to sedate Manhattan, Long Island, and Queens.... for a month. I take Quaaludes 10-15 times a day for my back pain, Adderall to stay focused, Xanax to take the edge off, Pot to mellow me out, Cocaine to wake me back up again and Morphine, well, because its awesome."

If he left it at just "I take enough drugs to sedate Manhattan" I'd go okay, funny joke. But pushing it into long island and queens, and then saying for a month... that's just dumb.

I know it was based on a book about a guy's life, but I'm pretty sure 80% of that book was STDH fanfic about his own life.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zaphod42 posted:

I know it was based on a book about a guy's life, but I'm pretty sure 80% of that book was STDH fanfic about his own life.

Literally the first thing I realized about this movie was <blink>UNRELIABLE NARRATOR</blink>

I did see some details on google maps of the prison in which he ended up that mostly jive with the story: tennis courts, basketball courts, a soccer field, and a softball diamond definitely make it look like he was in Club Fed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Paladinus posted:

How are we to know that he's not taking the shoes? Racism is not over, sorry.

Not that it says anything, but the kid barely has a grip on the shoes yet; he'd need another hand under or to adjust his hand to hold both. He's either posing, hasn't fully received the shoes, or has carefully let the other guy grab them but still kept a minimal grip on one.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Unless your teenager is Rory Gilmore, this conversation never happened:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

Literally the first thing I realized about this movie was <blink>UNRELIABLE NARRATOR</blink>

I did see some details on google maps of the prison in which he ended up that mostly jive with the story: tennis courts, basketball courts, a soccer field, and a softball diamond definitely make it look like he was in Club Fed.

Yeah sure, but "guy who boasts and exaggerates his life story in minor ways" is a pretty lame unreliable narrator compared to like, Shutter Island. :cheeky:

I guess a couple lines like that were meant to make you doubt the whole story, but I find most of the movie pretty believable otherwise. I buy that he got away with hell in prison and I buy that he flew a helicopter while on drugs and I'll buy that they had company parties where they threw midgets and paid women to shave their hair or whatever. Maybe I gave him too much credit and some of that stuff was BS, but it seems plausible to me, so the way over-the-top clearly made up stuff just seemed unnecessary. But I guess its supposed to make you doubt everything else, yeah.

netally posted:

My old man made me actually wait until I was 13 to see PG-13 movies in theaters, same with rated R films (or for the most part) and every one of my friends would go see some movie and then I'd just have to watch it on HBO later or whatever, seemed so stupid.

You'd have to be pretty drat repressed to put that on yourself as a kid.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

You'd have to be pretty drat repressed to put that on yourself as a kid.
"I want to be absolutely sure it has absolutely no potential to upset me." Checks out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess a couple lines like that were meant to make you doubt the whole story, but I find most of the movie pretty believable otherwise. I buy that he got away with hell in prison and I buy that he flew a helicopter while on drugs and I'll buy that they had company parties where they threw midgets and paid women to shave their hair or whatever. Maybe I gave him too much credit and some of that stuff was BS, but it seems plausible to me, so the way over-the-top clearly made up stuff just seemed unnecessary. But I guess its supposed to make you doubt everything else, yeah.

I'm pretty sure it's just hyperbole used as one of those "joke" things. He was not literally saying he took enough drugs to sedate millions of people every day. It's supposed to make you think "he does a lot of drugs", I really don't think it was meant to make you feel/think anything besides that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just hyperbole used as one of those "joke" things. He was not literally saying he took enough drugs to sedate millions of people every day. It's supposed to make you think "he does a lot of drugs", I really don't think it was meant to make you feel/think anything besides that.

I know, but it seemed like hyperbole on top of hyperbole which is why I feel it was just too much. That's why I said he should have just said "I take enough drugs to sedate Manhattan". Obviously even that wouldn't be true, that would kill you. But it works as a boast. Pushing the boast even further is what I'm saying was just too silly, its dumb.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

netally posted:

That is the attitude of a kid who is going to have a rough time in a high school

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Who smokes weed all day and wants to get into fights???

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
source: 20 Deeoply Profound Things Kids Said to Grownups.

quote:

6. My daughter was following me around asking whether things were alive or not, and telling me her opinion on them. "Cars aren't alive" she said, "because they can move but they don't grow." Then she asked "What about words? Words change and grow when we use them. Words are alive."

Popcyan
Jun 5, 2012

netally posted:

I think that could have happened. I remember myself saying something like that to adults as a child. It was absolutely NOT a sign of maturity though, it was repression plus people-pleasing. I was brought up super sheltered - parents very strict and religious, we didn't have a TV and went to the cinema maybe once a year. Sermons in church had made me think films had some insane power to corrupt people against their will, so I was being protected by being kept away from them. I took the message to heart way more than my parents probably realised though. I remember my dad wanted to see one of the LOTR films in the cinema and took me with him, and I was terrified because the film was a 12a certificate and I was only 10 (therefore not psychologically ready to withstand it!). When we turned up and it was sold out I was incredibly relieved.

Yes, I did have a rough time in high school.

Popcyan has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sweeperbravo posted:

source: 20 Deeoply Profound Things Kids Said to Grownups.

Sorry bout your tardo kid

• Locked thread