Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

slut chan posted:

I just got a bottle of Fernet Branca and I don't know what to do with it. halp

Industry sour is the best use I've found so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Ralith posted:

2:1 hot apple cider to root beer liqueur is amazing :allears:

this but drambuie and a splash of bourbon

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Yeah, I've been shooting the Fernet, so sounds like I'm off to a good start.

Looking at the Toronto, does Fernet work well subbing for Campari in Negroni type drinks, or does it need additional sweetness?

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

For the longest time I thought I just didn't like Martinis, but it turns out i just really loving hate olives. I stumbled across some posts waaaaaay earlier in the thread and tried making one with 4:1~6:1 gin:vermouth, a dash of orange bitters, and a lemon twist, and holy poo poo that was delicious. I hit the middle ground and used 5:1, and it was fantastic.

gently caress olives.

Sugar out with me and try some gingerbread martinis instead for some variety.

Seriously, olives can suck my rear end.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dirty Martinis are a god drat crime against nature, and I probably make them more than any other martini.

We've also been out of dolin red for like two weeks at the bar and we've been using punt e mes as a sub and every time I have to make a Manhattan I die a little inside and wish I could pre-emptively apologize for the bad drink I'm making. I don't even understand why we have it when it's sole role at our bar seems to be "use when we run out of dolin red" :mad:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My wife only wanted dirty martinis for a long time, so I insisted on at least getting some nice olives so I wasn't tipping a huge jar of pimento manzanillas into the perfect martini I'd just made.

Later she decided she's done with vermouth for awhile; more Left Hands and Presidentes for me.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Dolin red is good and all but come on, so is punt e mes. I think they're both too soft for Manhattans though so I'm scoffing at your lack of carpano

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I made a booze run. Rittenhouse, Famous Grouse, Angosutra, and Martini Rossi (only red they had in 375ml). I made baby's first manhattan, 2oz / .75oz / 3 dashes. It's pretty good, but does anyone else have ratios they like for me to try? Would the ratios be the same for a Rob Roy, or does the flavor difference in scotch call for a different ratio?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I made a booze run. Rittenhouse, Famous Grouse, Angosutra, and Martini Rossi (only red they had in 375ml). I made baby's first manhattan, 2oz / .75oz / 3 dashes. It's pretty good, but does anyone else have ratios they like for me to try? Would the ratios be the same for a Rob Roy, or does the flavor difference in scotch call for a different ratio?

I like 2.25/.75/3 but depending on the backbone of your whiskey and the flavor of your vermouth (and personal preference of course) you could go 2.25/.66/3, or your ratio is also pretty good, or just experiment and report back. I don't make many Rob Roys but I make em the same as manhattans when I do.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Dolin red is good and all but come on, so is punt e mes. I think they're both too soft for Manhattans though so I'm scoffing at your lack of carpano

Punt e mes is not a good sub for dolin imo unless the person is specifically looking for a bitter take on a drink

Of course we have Carpano, but dolin is our rail vermouth so punt e mes the sub for it

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That is a very odd vermouth schematic. All very different styles of vermouth which are not interchangeable. Punt is spicy and much closer to Carpano but cheaper, Dolin is a de chambery and a total 360 in style from either of the others. If I ordered a Manhattan and didn't specific, I'd probably assume Carpano but would be stoked if I got punt instead.

Your bar manager has a poor understanding of vermouth.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone make brandy Manhattans? I was looking at recipes and found one for a "brandy vermouth cocktail" which was a Manhattan but with brandy instead of whiskey. I'm wondering how well it turns out.

I also want to buy some Peychaud's when I get some gin so I can make a Hearst.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I used to do 2.5/1/2 but I guess I got lazy in having to measure out that extra 0.5, so I just do 2/1/2 which is coincidentally Manhattan's area code (if that's something you find amusing).

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Your bar manager has a poor understanding of vermouth.

:agreed:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I think his logic is "Also a bottle of vermouth which is red colored and cheap"

E: It's embarrassing we run out of dolin as frequently as we do, apparently our GM (who doubles as our wine and liquor manager, our bar manager only does beer) is allergic to buying it by the case.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 22, 2015

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If you're anywhere on the West Coast and it's coming through Pac Edge you have to order it 5 days in advance for delivery so there's another wrench in things.

I'm switching two of my wells, one to Lo Fi which is my new favorite personally and La Quintinye, both of which are cheaper than Dolin and from Wine Warehouse and Henry respectively so I can get delivery over night. I still keep about 10 others on hand for different drinks, but yeah.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone make brandy Manhattans? I was looking at recipes and found one for a "brandy vermouth cocktail" which was a Manhattan but with brandy instead of whiskey. I'm wondering how well it turns out.

I also want to buy some Peychaud's when I get some gin so I can make a Hearst.

A lot of classic whiskey cocktails were first made with brandy.

Peychauds will also let you do a killer sazerac with your rittenhouse...just have to get some absinthe too

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

and a total 360 in style from either of the others.

Sorry but i just caught this and had a chuckle

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Drinking a black rider right now, except it's not a real black rider as there was no cynar around. Subbed aperol for it, and it still kicks a lot of rear end.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There should be an exception in these booze threads to the drunkposting rule. I'm not drunk now, I just think there should be an exception.

I made a Rob Roy with Famous Grouse, I really liked it. The Grouse itself reminded me of a muskier Gold Label, although my palate isn't very good so I'm probably missing a lot of notes they don't have in common. I'm sure musk isn't the term, either. What is it?

My manhattan and Rob Roy both seemed to get sweeter near the end of the drink. Is that me not mixing it enough, or does the whole thing get sweeter as it warms?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think it's more of a "Don't ask, don't tell" unofficial policy.

My wife was very please with the vanilla honey liquor I just gave her for Christmas. Initial taste tests are positive.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I made a Rob Roy with Famous Grouse, I really liked it. The Grouse itself reminded me of a muskier Gold Label, although my palate isn't very good so I'm probably missing a lot of notes they don't have in common. I'm sure musk isn't the term, either. What is it?
Grouse has always been my father's favourite blended scotch. I swear it tastes just a little like bacon. Black Grouse moreso.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 23, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There should be an exception in these booze threads to the drunkposting rule. I'm not drunk now, I just think there should be an exception.

My manhattan and Rob Roy both seemed to get sweeter near the end of the drink. Is that me not mixing it enough, or does the whole thing get sweeter as it warms?

Rather, the chill of the ice inhibits the ability of your taste buds to perceive sweetness. As the drink warms you taste more of the sweetness, which is why when you build a cocktail in the shaker and taste it it will be sweeter and more tart than when it's chilled (and that's not just dilution).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wait, are you supposed to put it in the shaker, taste it, and then put ice in? I put ice in, then the ingredients, then shake the poo poo out of it. And hope like hell it comes out decently. This one I did 4.25 scotch, 1.5 vermouth, and 5 dashes of bitters. I liked it, at least.

The cold muting the sweetness is kind of what I meant. Like how alcohol is smoother cold, and macrobrews are best cold because that way you can't taste them as much.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, are you supposed to put it in the shaker, taste it, and then put ice in? I put ice in, then the ingredients, then shake the poo poo out of it. And hope like hell it comes out decently. This one I did 4.25 scotch, 1.5 vermouth, and 5 dashes of bitters. I liked it, at least.

The cold muting the sweetness is kind of what I meant. Like how alcohol is smoother cold, and macrobrews are best cold because that way you can't taste them as much.
You're not supposed to, but you could if you wanted to see what it was like before chilling.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it's not really useful to taste before shaking unless you're doing something really weird and just want to make sure it works on a really basic level before you make the big show of shaking and realise you suck at being creative

Also I'm so loving hyped for nog season I don't give a poo poo that it's summer and 35 Celsius where I live it's still nog season and if you wanna get drunk with me any time in the next week you have to drink my egg nog with me sorry for being that guy

Probably going with spiced rum as a base but I wanna try a little bit of sherry in it this year, anyone got any good recs for a sherry that would go well in a rum nog? Was thinking some PX since that's the sherry I remember was in the best nog I had in my life but I don't know poo poo about sherry and if there's a better idea I'd be up for it

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 23, 2015

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

The Maestro posted:

Sorry but i just caught this and had a chuckle

drat. Wasn't intentional, I was just real tired :////

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's not a drink one would shake, that would be a stirred drink.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't care. Partially because I don't have a good spoon for stirring, partially because I'm still getting over the novelty of having a shaker, partially because I don't care.

E: I know that you're right, that a manhattan or martini is better made stirred, I'm not debating that.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 23, 2015

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
How do I live in a city of 20 million in one of the largest economies in the world and I'm resorting to making my own vermouth. Guys Korea needs to get its act together. Too many of my bartender friends just smuggle stuff in, no other way. I once saw a fifth of Early Times for $65.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I just posted about it in Phiz but I wanted to spread the word in here: I can be a real snob about liquor but for the price, I've always been really really happy with stuff from Jim Beam. Their 7yr stuff in particular is excellent value but unfortunately it's been discontinued in favor of the flagship 4yr Jim Beam (and their higher-end stuff like Basil Hayden's, etc) and as far as I know they sent out their last shipment a couple weeks ago. If you're a budget-conscious whiskey drinker, I don't think you can do much better than Jim Beam 7yr (I just scooped up the last of it at my local liquors store and it was $40 for a handle in NC, which has state-run stores and liquor here is on the expensive side) --- I haven't really found anything I'd rather drink in that $20/bottle range, and if they've still got some of the 7yr in a store near you I would recommend at least checking it out while it's still available. Certainly not the finest whiskey you can get but I think it kicks rear end compared to anything else I've tried at that pricepoint.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My girlfriend is going to the country for Christmas and she gave me my present early and it's egg nog soap bless her merry nogmas y'all

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

MC Eating Disorder posted:

My girlfriend is going to the country for Christmas and she gave me my present early and it's egg nog soap bless her merry nogmas y'all

Got Alton Brown's aged eggnog recipe stewing in the fridge right now. Good eggnog is good stuff.

Just got back from a run and wanted something Negroni-ish, but I didn't have any Campari or vermouth. Ended up mixing 1:1:1 Averna, Wray & Nephew and tawny port. Expected a disaster, but it was surprisingly good! A little unsubtle, though. (A problem I have with regular Negronis too.) I was rather pleased with how the sweetness and fruitiness played with the hogo in the rum.

Any ideas for how to dress it up for company? I think some people would be fine with nothing more than a lemon peel garnish, but I've already thought about putting it over ice and topping with soda for a Collins treatment, or even adding pineapple juice and going for a swizzle. Or just toning down the Averna to .5, it's probably a bit too assertive for a full ounce.

Anyhow, hope everyone is having fun consuming or producing tasty concoctions. Remember the reason for the season! It's citrus.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Limmer's punch is a great success with Christmas lunch!
Kenning, you've saved Christmas!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

:toot:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

pgroce posted:

Got Alton Brown's aged eggnog recipe stewing in the fridge right now. Good eggnog is good stuff.

Just got back from a run and wanted something Negroni-ish, but I didn't have any Campari or vermouth. Ended up mixing 1:1:1 Averna, Wray & Nephew and tawny port. Expected a disaster, but it was surprisingly good! A little unsubtle, though. (A problem I have with regular Negronis too.) I was rather pleased with how the sweetness and fruitiness played with the hogo in the rum.

Any ideas for how to dress it up for company? I think some people would be fine with nothing more than a lemon peel garnish, but I've already thought about putting it over ice and topping with soda for a Collins treatment, or even adding pineapple juice and going for a swizzle. Or just toning down the Averna to .5, it's probably a bit too assertive for a full ounce.

Anyhow, hope everyone is having fun consuming or producing tasty concoctions. Remember the reason for the season! It's citrus.

I haven't tried Wray and nephew (kill me now), but your proportions sound a little sweet. I'd go 2:1:1 rum/etc, maybe add a dash of chocolate and/or orange bitters, orange twist to go Left Hand cocktail route, but if you skip those and add pineapple juice I'd add soda water too because it still sounds way too sweet. Maybe throw a fresh herb garnish too, mint, basil, or sage would probably all work well.

Get wild with it, do 2:1:1, .5 oz oj or pineapple, top with dry bubbly and a splash of soda, slap a sage leaf and rub it on the rim and drop in, and an orange twist, rocks in a wine glass. Go more winter style, skip the pineapple but keep the oj, everything else the same, add a cinnamon stick and grate fresh nutmeg on top.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

goferchan posted:

I just posted about it in Phiz but I wanted to spread the word in here: I can be a real snob about liquor but for the price, I've always been really really happy with stuff from Jim Beam. Their 7yr stuff in particular is excellent value but unfortunately it's been discontinued in favor of the flagship 4yr Jim Beam (and their higher-end stuff like Basil Hayden's, etc) and as far as I know they sent out their last shipment a couple weeks ago. If you're a budget-conscious whiskey drinker, I don't think you can do much better than Jim Beam 7yr (I just scooped up the last of it at my local liquors store and it was $40 for a handle in NC, which has state-run stores and liquor here is on the expensive side) --- I haven't really found anything I'd rather drink in that $20/bottle range, and if they've still got some of the 7yr in a store near you I would recommend at least checking it out while it's still available. Certainly not the finest whiskey you can get but I think it kicks rear end compared to anything else I've tried at that pricepoint.

I also countered with this argument in phiz: Jim Beam Black is their 8 year and it averages 2-3 bucks per 5th more than 7 and is a little better so the loss of 7 isn't a big deal and I'll freaking fight anyone over the honor of JB black.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I swear the black label has the 7 yo statement on it over here and this whole conversation confused the living poo poo out of me but I looked it up and it's actually only 6 years

Australia actually drinks more bourbon per capita than the US though so we probably just get the lowest rent poo poo they can't sell over there

Black label also is labelled 'triple aged' which kind of sounds like the result some kind of booze marketing Markov generator because I have no idea what it means

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 25, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I swear the black label has the 7 yo statement on it over here and this whole conversation confused the living poo poo out of me but I looked it up and it's actually only 6 years

Australia actually drinks more bourbon per capita than the US though so we probably just get the lowest rent poo poo they can't sell over there

??? http://www.drinkhacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Jim-Beam-Black-Bottle.jpg

I've only ever seen it as 8 over here

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
behold; the glory the TRIPLE AGED bourbon

bourbon is kind of the quintessential low-rent spirit here so poo poo like this seems like an attempt to fob off the older barrels that didn't make the cut in order to sell them at a premium cost to ffly in/fly out miners who are 100% gonna mix it with cola. There's not a single beam branded bottling that isn't available premixed with cola in some form here, its a weird market and I'd love to work for beam just to find out what their strategy is. They do really well off knob creek and their other prestige bottlings but there's absolutely no market pressure to have a nice tasting jim beam at all.

I'm interested in what double or triple aging is supposed to mean because I've googled both terms and the only thing that comes up apart from beam products is dewars 12yo which is also apparently double aged. In the context of bourbon I guess it could mean taking it out of the barrel and putting it in a fresh barrel but in the context of scotch that seems even more nonsensical so I'm really confused, it might be a real thing but it honestly just feels like some marketing dude noticed that things with 'triple" on the label and "aged" on the label sell well so why not "triple aged"?

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Never had hot buttered rum before. Followed the serious eats version here. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/time-for-a-drink-hot-buttered-rum-recipe.html
Wasn't particularly buttery or rummy, but I did hit it with an immersion blender like you do with bulletproof coffee. Used Anchor butter and Brugal Anejo, and the recipe calls for unsalted butter but a little salt might be good. Not sure if it's supposed to be creamy or a bit oily.