Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hapquack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
just get outta here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Avshalom posted:

just get outta here.

Do you need a hug?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
See, that's a guy who needs to heal. Welcome, friend :smith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
And yet his posts were still better writing than Slow Regard.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Evil Fluffy posted:

He stumbled into Postings, a typically unfriendly place. Today, instead, he found it somewhat welcoming, with an offer of a hug. This was atypical, but not unwelcome.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It was shitposting in three parts.

The most obvious part was the stream of annoying, low-effort posts made by a goon who was lacking in things.

In the thread a group of regulars huddled in the comfort of their hatred. They posted with righteous indignation, avoiding humour and wit. In doing this, they added sullen shitposting to the more annoying one. It made a foul mix, a counter-troll.

The third shitposting was not easy to miss. It streamed form the keyboard of the goon who appeared only recently, making long effort posts about the state of fantasy literature.

The goon had a webcomic avatar, animated as unto a cartoon. The goon's posts were snobby and long-winded, ranting on the artistic failures of the books.

It was the patient, cut-flower trolling of a goon waiting to die.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 26, 2015

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I hope the new book comes out soon!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Opal posted:

I hope the new book comes out soon!

It did. Someone posted it in it's entirety about six posts ago.

:v:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Anyone who actually read the book, aside from the stupid "this special moon child character" theme was the prose as least somewhat vivid/compelling? I can freely admit finding some writing boring as poo poo yet still insanely impressed by how the language is used. The most recent example is Moby Dick, where I sure as gently caress am not drawn into the story but just reading it out loud it blows my mind how incredibly the words are used to convey meaning.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

pentyne posted:

Anyone who actually read the book, aside from the stupid "this special moon child character" theme was the prose as least somewhat vivid/compelling? I can freely admit finding some writing boring as poo poo yet still insanely impressed by how the language is used. The most recent example is Moby Dick, where I sure as gently caress am not drawn into the story but just reading it out loud it blows my mind how incredibly the words are used to convey meaning.

I tend to doubt it, but here's the first page of the third chapter (arbitrarily chosen) so you can decide for yourself.

quote:

AFTER TAKING A MOMENT for her leisure, Auri got a drink of water from the pool in Mote, then headed back down to gather up the brazen gear. It was patient as three stones, but still, it deserved to find its proper place as much as anyone.
For lack of any better ideas, Auri carried it down to Wains. Perhaps it belonged there. Or better yet, perhaps the brazen thing might hint to her of what the tiny hidden wrongness was that kept the sitting room from ringing sweetly as a bell.
Or perhaps she might see the gear in a better light down there. Especially with the place so new and nearly perfect. It was as good a place as any, she supposed.
So down she went, to proper, rich, wood-paneled Wains. Then into her new sitting room. She sat the brazen gear upon the couch and curled up close beside it, tucking her feet underneath herself.
It wasn’t any more content. Auri sighed and cocked her head at it. Poor thing. To be so lovely and so lost. To be all answerful with all that knowing trapped inside. To be beautiful and broken. Auri nodded and lay her hand gently on the gear’s smooth face consolingly.
Perhaps Throughbottom? Why hadn’t she thought of that before? True, when she thought of love and answers, the ancient wreckage in the cavern hardly sprang to mind. But maybe that was just the point. Perhaps some long-dead hulking mechanata was in desperate need of nine bright teeth and love in its abandoned heart?

Just remember, if you criticize Slow Regard, it wasn't for you.
https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/24/the-adventures-of-twisp-and-catsby

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At least GRRM missed his deadline for the release of his next book, so Rothfuss can feel better about not writing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm really really digging Baudolino, thanks again for the recommendation thread. I just got up to a part where he and his friends spend all night with alcohol and drugs writting up a letter from a fable Christian king to hand to Frederick I. Then they had to sit on it for several months to revise it so it sounded legitimate. Had Kvothe wrote that letter it would have been done in a hour and it would have been the most perfect forgery in the history of the universe forever.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I'm reading it now, and I've found parts amusing. Overall I don't really know what the point of the book is though. There's no conflict and it doesn't seem to be building to anything. I'm assuming that Baudolino will eventually go seeking Prestor John's kingdom and actually find the holy grail.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Aggro posted:

I'm reading it now, and I've found parts amusing. Overall I don't really know what the point of the book is though. There's no conflict and it doesn't seem to be building to anything. I'm assuming that Baudolino will eventually go seeking Prestor John's kingdom and actually find the holy grail.

How far into it are you? I would say the "conflict" is between what we consider to be accepted history and what actually happened, superficially in terms of relics and weird creatures and such, but also more pointedly around the death of Frederick.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the main conflict between characters doesn't come into it for quite a while. But from your speculation on the direction the plot will go in, it feels like you're already been dragged into into the conflict between the medieval way of thinking and Baudolino's more modern means of doing things.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I am reading Name of the Wind for the first time, and I just read a scene that really surprised me. I have heard some disparaging things about Rothfuss's writing and characterization (though so far I like both), but I wasn't expecting to be so moved by the scene around page 200, when On the way to the University, Kvothe plays a lute for the first time in three years. That was a great scene and stirred my emotions.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

blue squares posted:

I am reading Name of the Wind for the first time, and I just read a scene that really surprised me. I have heard some disparaging things about Rothfuss's writing and characterization (though so far I like both), but I wasn't expecting to be so moved by the scene around page 200, when On the way to the University, Kvothe plays a lute for the first time in three years. That was a great scene and stirred my emotions.

You don't have to spoil things here friend, but I agree with you. That was really well written scene and the reaction from the rest of his traveling party really showed how good he had become. Its also when we Denna soooooooooo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Please keep posting your impressions when you start on Wise Man's Fear.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Please keep posting your impressions when you start on Wise Man's Fear.

I'm reading Stormlight, Malazan, Mistborn, and Kingkiller concurrently, so it'll be a while. I've decided to rotate my series reading book by book so that I'm always excited to read the next book and never get sick of one author

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

blue squares posted:

I'm reading Stormlight, Malazan, Mistborn, and Kingkiller concurrently, so it'll be a while. I've decided to rotate my series reading book by book so that I'm always excited to read the next book and never get sick of one author

Thats a pretty smart approach, but I'm sure Rothfuss will still find a way. For what its worth I did enjoy Wise Man's Fear quite a bit, but I also skimmed over tons of stuff just because they were insanely boring and akin to reading a booklet of Tekken combos.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I finished and I don't think I'll be reading the next one. I read the first 400 pages in one sitting and really enjoyed it. But the final 260 dragged and by the end, it was all I could do just to read every word and not keep scanning ahead. I'm not sure what it was that made me lose my taste for the book, but I think Deena was a big part of it. I don't like her character at all, though its funny how much of a goober Kvothe is with her and his "friendzoning." Also, every single female character in the book is described as "beautiful."

There was just no payoff, either. I know it is a series, but each book, especially the first, should have at least some sense of resolution, I think. There can be cliffhangers, too, but it would have been nice of the character accomplished even one of the things listed on the back of the book.

Overall, felt like a lot of potential wasted. Not interested in continuing.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

You just don't get literature.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

blue squares posted:

I finished and I don't think I'll be reading the next one.

Probably for the best; Name of the Wind is generally regarded as better than Wise Man's Fear.

blue squares posted:

There was just no payoff, either. I know it is a series, but each book, especially the first, should have at least some sense of resolution, I think. There can be cliffhangers, too, but it would have been nice of the character accomplished even one of the things listed on the back of the book.

He did.

The Back of The Book posted:

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

The draccus may have done more than Kvothe to burn down Trebon, but the events Kvothe is referencing happened in the book (see chapters 79-81).

The expulsion is held in repealed, but after calling the name of the Wind Kvothe is sentenced to 6 lashes and expulsion (see chapter 86).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The draccus burned like two buildings. He didn't "burn down the town." And that expulsion doesn't count. Typical Kvothe tall tales!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

blue squares posted:

The draccus burned like two buildings. He didn't "burn down the town." And that expulsion doesn't count. Typical Kvothe tall tales!

Exactly. Tales of Kvothe don't match up at all to the reality of what happened. Even something as simple as the name of the major town near the University, Imre, gets distorted to Amary in the retellings.

Trebon had minor-to-moderate fire damage; over various retellings it becomes "the whole town burned to the ground"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Of course, then the sequel throws it all out the window. WMF is... not good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh and also the map in the beginning of the book is the laziest fantasy map I ever done saw

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

blue squares posted:

Oh and also the map in the beginning of the book is the laziest fantasy map I ever done saw

Even worse than Shannara's Eastland, Westland, Southland, and Northland?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

jivjov posted:

You forgot Centreland!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

I haven't read that, but NotW has all this random poo poo like a "great stone road" that goes to loving nowhere for hundreds of miles and is never mentioned in the book. And there is no scale. And half the cities mentioned in the book don't appear on the map

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

blue squares posted:

I haven't read that, but NotW has all this random poo poo like a "great stone road" that goes to loving nowhere for hundreds of miles and is never mentioned in the book. And there is no scale. And half the cities mentioned in the book don't appear on the map

The great stone road is there to distract you from the fact that he just tweaked a map of Europe.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

blue squares posted:

"great stone road" that goes to loving nowhere for hundreds of miles
It's a metaphor of his career

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mallamp posted:

lmao

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mallamp posted:

:drat:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mallamp posted:

:cool:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Only if there's several million dollars and a movie deal at the end of the road.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Only if there's several million dollars and a movie deal at the end of the road.

You guys are giving me whiplash.

I.e. Double snap, son!

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Rothfuss used a monkey paw wish to become a famous author. It's the only explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

So I read the first book due to the rave reviews from authors that have written legit fantasy/sci-fi literature like Le Guin and i don't get it at all.

I'm not much of a fantasy reader but i'm a fan of China Mieville's bas lag stuff (i wish more fantasy was mostly just made up by the author and not all tolkienesque poo poo) and the First Law trilogy (i want to read more ofJoe's stuff). I figured this would be more like Abercrombie's books from the reviews but it's pretty much straight fantasy and it's confusing me. I've skimmed the thread so I know a lot of this has come up before but I don't understand how it got the reviews it did. It does appear the prose is better than most fantasy (it was serviceable but got pretty bad when he tried to be more literary) but again I'm speaking from ignorance here and Joe and China's prose are both better.

What I've never really grasped from these sorts of books is how fantasy novels can be so long with so little happening. I didn't read the second book but it seems he's even worse about not enough actually occurring in the narrative - it's just weird when you can read novels with fully realized characters and plots that span just as much but in a single book 1/3 the length. From the perspective of a writer I don't understand WHY you would want to write so much about nothing happening - the fun is writing the fun stuff. I just read the Southern Reach trilogy and the entire thing is shorter than one of these books, there's really no reason for fantasy novels to be such an insane length.

The other thing that confuses me is what I saw skimming this thread which was "well yeah the plot doesn't move much but the world building and magic system are great" and I don't understand this defense. The primary purpose of a novel is to tell a story, stuff like "world building" should be organic to that - I'm not reading a guide book. And magic is just a storytelling device, I can't imagine reading a book or series just because this was cool. I don't like the Star Wars film because of the Force and the Force is just barely explained as a "system" and often just does what it needs to do for the sake of the plot. I would hate to say why you should read a book, but I will anyway, but you should be reading a book because the plot is interesting and the characters are well realized and the writing is good to great. I don't see how it matters if the world is cool or whatever, I think Bas Lag is a cool setting but I keep reading because of the characters and plots in the novels. The world building and magic and all that is just window dressing in the end.

He also seems like a huge creep and seems to purposefully look like the most annoying goddamn nerd.

• Locked thread