Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Harold, the mute hunchback genius mechanic that built the Batmobiles is the first that comes to mind. I know he's not a sidekick really but they tried really hard to make him a thing for a long time. And then he got his body fixed or something?

Hush killed him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How about poor ol' N52 Carrie Kelley. I'm sure Tomasi had plans for her that got shuffled because of Steph Brown getting jammed into Batman Eternal and Bruce suddenly having one too many teen girl helpers on his plate.
Most of my affection for her probably comes from Pat Gleason drawing her throwing a pizza at a skeevy dude. That would've been a good Robin there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 25, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Hush killed him

I take it back, Hush was awesome.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Man, fuckin' Harold. What a weird, bizarre piece of Batman history. So loving unnecessary and random, like here's what Batman needs is a mute loving hunchback to invent poo poo for him.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's a pretty freakish idea that Batman would keep him in a cave, but I liked Harold. I think he would have been great in Batman Inc to compliment the modern, movie style Lucius Fox.

Batman needs more friends.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Harold's debut was the Penguin abusing him into creating bird-control radio waves to make birds rob jewelry stores and stuff. Batman locks up the Penguin and Harold ends up on the streets, fixing kid's toys in exchange for candy bars. Batman saves him from an angry mob and basically decides, this literal mentally handicapped adult man is pretty handy, I should take him home. And he does. And then he sticks around for an incredibly long stretch of comics.

Harold belongs in the Shit_that_actually_happened thread.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

redbackground posted:

I said her own series :colbert:

pod rules

I will be sad when they use Pod to show how dangerous the secretly evil the whole time Blue Marvel or whatever is.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't Mark Gruenwald try and create a distaff counterpart for Captain America?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm pretty glad the era of french cut unitards for heroines has mostly ended.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Actually, French-Cut Unitards for Heroin is widely considered the third-most successful exchange program in modern law enforcement, after Toys for Guns and Toys for Tots.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Of course Guns for Tots is still at the bottom of the list.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Travis343 posted:

Harold's debut was the Penguin abusing him into creating bird-control radio waves to make birds rob jewelry stores and stuff. Batman locks up the Penguin and Harold ends up on the streets, fixing kid's toys in exchange for candy bars. Batman saves him from an angry mob and basically decides, this literal mentally handicapped adult man is pretty handy, I should take him home. And he does. And then he sticks around for an incredibly long stretch of comics.

Harold belongs in the Shit_that_actually_happened thread.

If you view it as Batman adopting the guy, it becomes a lot less monstrous.

Still pretty wacky.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Let's see-

Wikipedia posted:

As a graduate student Cathy Webster participates in an unsanctioned psychology experiment involving subliminal recordings. She is subliminally programmed to hate all men, and her body is subjected to "mutagenic radiation". The radiation enhances her body to peak human conditioning similar to Captain America. Cathy eventually overcomes her brainwashing and discovers the woman in charge of the experiment, a criminal scientist named Superia.

Ah.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Let's see-

Ah.

Wow, that's almost as bad as that Powerpuff Girls episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This is basically that 'comic dudes trying to deal with Second Wave Feminism' thing that came up a few pages ago.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's basically the exact same way people strawman today. The more things change, am I right?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Wow, that's almost as bad as that Powerpuff Girls episode.

Yo if you thought that PPG episode was anti-feminist you missed the whole point

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

The writer of the episode(Lauren Faust) regrets writing it because it's just a huge strawman. It goes to lengths say everything is actually alright and girls are totally equal now and anyone still making a ruckus is just a manipulative misandrist.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think the villain was a strawman but I liked that it was other women who called her out. I didn't get the impression that they were saying that everything was equal now but more like here are actual, everyday women who embody actual feminism and the villain was just being a huge selfish hypocrite.

I guess the message was that shady people are willing to cloak themselves in whatever cause they think will help them get ahead, but recognizing those people doesn't invalidate the earnest, genuine people who believe in that cause.

That's me though and I was like 18 when PPG was on the air.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The episode was really brought from "lame episode of a children's show" to "ugh, is this a republican nasty old man's political cartoon" by ladyhero's portrait on the wall of cats licking each other.

Kind of like just calling her the d slur.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lauren Faust has unintentionally done a lot that must be answered for, I guess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Let's see-

Ah.

Gruenwald had some serious issues with feminism.

Travis343 posted:

If you thought it wasn't, you weren't paying attention.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah like I said its been like 15 years since I saw it...I'll concede Im probably wrong about that

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I've been tasked with writing about every Spider-Man/Deadpool comic ever and I want to make sure I have a complete list. I'm only counting those where Spider-Man is there and not instances of "Hey, Deadpool looks a lot like Spidey so let's make a joke around that." If I did, it would be a million entries long. So I got:

- The Kelly Deadpool issue where he goes back in time to the 60's and takes over an old Spider-Man comic.

- The unfinished/unreleased Deadpool Almost Destroys the Marvel Universe.

- Ultimate Spider-Man comic.

- Two instances in Cable/Deadpool.

- In Kelly's ASM run where they had a "yo momma" joke-off.

- Deadpool: Suicide Kings.

- During Way's Deadpool run against Hit-Monkey.

- I think there's an issue of Marvel Adventures Spider-Man where Deadpool was in it but they couldn't mention his name because it wasn't all-ages appropriate.

- Marvel Universe vs. Punisher where Deadpool is Spider-Man's top flunky.

- Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe and Deadpool Killustrated.

- The crossover where the two of them and Hulk went to an alternate dimension where Victor Von Doom was a mercenary and Wade Wilson was a tyrant.

- An Avenging Spider-Man story where Deadpool went into Spidey's dreams.

- What If Venom Possessed Deadpool?

- The Duggan/Posehn run of Deadpool where he teams up with SpOck.

- While not comics, there's Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions and an episode of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

- The Deadpool annual where they switch costumes.

- Uncanny Avengers.

Anything I'm missing? Did they work together in Axis? I can't remember.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's an issue of the All-Ages Ultimate Spider-man with Deadpool as well.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

There's an issue of the All-Ages Ultimate Spider-man with Deadpool as well.

Ah, good catch. Thanks.

I also forgot Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Did they work together in Axis? I can't remember.

I want to say yes since Spider-Man wasn't flipped but Deadpool was (from being kill-happy and thus for some reason aligned with the villains in promotional material to being a pacifist) but god knows I'm not going to reread Axis to check.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I might be misremembering, but I don't think Deadpool is quite a Spider-man flunky in Marvel Universe vs Punisher, just an obnoxious rear end in a top hat Frank can't get rid of. He briefly allies with Spidey and later betrays him.

They also technically worked together in the Ultimate Alliance games, if we're counting vidcons.

I know versions of Deadpool and Spidey were involved in the same Exiles run, but I don't think they ever interacted. Ain't 100% on that, tho.

Did anyone else think it was really weird how the Shattered Dimensions version of Deadpool was supposed to be Ultimate Deadpool, but acted even wackier than regular Deadpool instead of being a dead serious racist monster like UDP is supposed to be?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I might be misremembering, but I don't think Deadpool is quite a Spider-man flunky in Marvel Universe vs Punisher, just an obnoxious rear end in a top hat Frank can't get rid of. He briefly allies with Spidey and later betrays him.

I thought that Deadpool was part of Spider-Man's tribe and acted as his messenger because he was one of the few infected who could still speak relatively normal.

quote:

Did anyone else think it was really weird how the Shattered Dimensions version of Deadpool was supposed to be Ultimate Deadpool, but acted even wackier than regular Deadpool instead of being a dead serious racist monster like UDP is supposed to be?

Yup.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It still doesn't bug me quite as much as Dan Slott using the game to undo Spider-man Noir murdering Vulture. Like really, dude, even an alternate version of Spidey can't do something you don't approve of? Even though it was a major character beat in the story and undoing it deflates his entire arc?

Gavok posted:

I thought that Deadpool was part of Spider-Man's tribe and acted as his messenger because he was one of the few infected who could still speak relatively normal.

Sounds like I should re-read that comic. Boy, that setting sure was interesting before the Avengers story.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I know versions of Deadpool and Spidey were involved in the same Exiles run, but I don't think they ever interacted. Ain't 100% on that, tho.

They were briefly on the same reality-hopping Weapon X team! The Spider first appears in issue #12, and Deadpool dies in #13, according to Wikipedia. :pseudo:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Sounds like I should re-read that comic. Boy, that setting sure was interesting before the Avengers story.

You said it. They really dropped the ball by not making the third story Marvel Universe vs. Deadpool. His limited role in the first two books painted him as one of the more interesting characters in that world and making him a protagonist in the finale would've made for some great payoff.

Instead we got a prequel that didn't answer any questions that needed to be asked and even screwed up its own continuity. Which was impressive, considering the trilogy was a mere 12 issues total.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

If you count video games Spider-man and Deadpool are in the Facebook game, Avengers Alliance.
One of the last Spec Ops was based on the Spider-verse. In it you had to deploy Deadpool because he looked so like Spider-man they figured he might distract the Inheritors. True story.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Deadpool #0 had a scene where he walks in on Aunt May & Uncle Ben (clones) having sex, and as May mistakes him for Spidey (and calls him Peter), then Wade kills them both while shrieking about nasty naked old person flesh. That merits an honorable mention, at least.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dario the Wop posted:

Deadpool #0 had a scene where he walks in on Aunt May & Uncle Ben (clones) having sex, and as May mistakes him for Spidey (and calls him Peter), then Wade kills them both while shrieking about nasty naked old person flesh. That merits an honorable mention, at least.

Like I said, there are so many gags about how Deadpool looks/acts like Spider-Man that it wouldn't be worth naming them all.

Though speaking of their similarities, there is that one comic from Aaron's Wolverine run where it shows Logan's day-to-day life. How one day he'll be an Avenger, one day he's on the X-Men, one day he's on X-Force, one day he's fighting a monster with Thor, one day he's just drinking, etc. There's a gag where one day shows him fighting alongside Spider-Man, being disgruntled at Spidey's joke about them teaming up. A week later, Wolverine's teaming up with Deadpool, who makes the exact same joke and Wolverine's just as annoyed.

Anyone remember what issue that's in?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Like I said, there are so many gags about how Deadpool looks/acts like Spider-Man that it wouldn't be worth naming them all.

Though speaking of their similarities, there is that one comic from Aaron's Wolverine run where it shows Logan's day-to-day life. How one day he'll be an Avenger, one day he's on the X-Men, one day he's on X-Force, one day he's fighting a monster with Thor, one day he's just drinking, etc. There's a gag where one day shows him fighting alongside Spider-Man, being disgruntled at Spidey's joke about them teaming up. A week later, Wolverine's teaming up with Deadpool, who makes the exact same joke and Wolverine's just as annoyed.

I think that's A Day in the Life, Wolverine v3 issues 73-74. Probably from issue 73, since the second part is more about Wolverine leveling with Spidey about how hosed his life is.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Gavok posted:

Brought it up because of May & Ben getting killed, not because of that. Oh well.

Gavok posted:

It was in that two-parter between Wolverine and Dark Wolverine, #73+74. "A Mile in My Moccasins"

EDIT: Curses! Beaten.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Can I pretend X-Men: Deadly Genesis doesn't exist? Because that recon was blah.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

Can I pretend X-Men: Deadly Genesis doesn't exist? Because that recon was blah.

It led up to the cosmic stuff, so even though Bru's time on X-Men wasn't great, no you can't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm super ok with pretending anything with Vulcan in it didn't happen, up to and including War of Kings.