Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
"Sidequest: Story of Seasons started!"

S-S-Shameless self-promotion?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Trails of Cold Steel is really charming so far and I am enjoying it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The weirdness of Rean's vanishing VO aside, I like pretty much all the dubwork so far, it's real natural sounding.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Zaggitz posted:

The weirdness of Rean's vanishing VO aside, I like pretty much all the dubwork so far, it's real natural sounding.

Rean's vanishing VO? Besides points where he's thinking to himself, I haven't encountered anything like this yet.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It happens after the prologue. Hell be unvoiced talking to a voiced character sometimes

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

So bonding points in Cold Steel: is there some arcane optimal spending pattern that unlocks secret stuff or am I free to use them as I see fit? Since you can apparently farm tiny amounts of link XP in battle I assume you can max out everything anyway.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

oh god, the book collections and BP/AP were already bad enough

if bond points have their own bullshit secrets then I will definitely be mildly cheesed off for like a minute or two

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Ojetor posted:

So bonding points in Cold Steel: is there some arcane optimal spending pattern that unlocks secret stuff or am I free to use them as I see fit? Since you can apparently farm tiny amounts of link XP in battle I assume you can max out everything anyway.

Looking around it's for trophies, learning more about the characters, etc. You can max at least 4 or 5 in one playthrough. Bonding points for a day expire after the end of the day/story event is over so you can't build them up.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Really Pants posted:

oh god, the book collections and BP/AP were already bad enough

if bond points have their own bullshit secrets then I will definitely be mildly cheesed off for like a minute or two

Book collection's actually relatively safe in this one. You can buy the books you missed later, though it's random and makes you do lots of grinding.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Supremezero posted:

That part's not really that odd, when you consider that orbments don't work quite the same way as our tech. Flatscreen monitors would most likely be the default. That combined with it being top of the line military makes a bit more sense.

No, what's strange tech progression is having high speed air ships before cars.
Not sure if they actually had airships before cars or if it's just uncommon in Liberl, because the tech for cars originally was invented in Calvard. A guy in Cold Steel has a limousine, for example.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

What the hell is up with the Cherubic Gates on the second level of the Schoolhouse? Playing on hard, and haven't really had any issues I couldn't get around by playing methodical up until this point, but when they spam that loving Crisis Cry art a bunch, I'm not really seeing a way past other than "grind a lot." Given it applies a speed down along with hitting the entire battlefield for damage, it really becomes stupid when all three of them begin spamming it one after another. And then do it again their next turn.

Currently around level 14, and I've tried only damaging one of them, but it doesn't seem to matter.

edit: And it's not like they have a specific weakness to Mute, so trying to do that is a crapshoot.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 25, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You really do have to use every craft you can in that fight. Resounding Beat helps limit the damage, Armor Breaker and Motivate will set one of those jerks up for both your S-Crafts, Autumn Leaf Cutter delays their turns, Blessed Arrow keeps you healed and lets you rinse & repeat sooner. Are you going in with 200 CP on everybody?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
You could also potentially grind Rean to level 15 and get Arc Slash, so you can delay 2 at a time for even more than Autumn Leaf Cutter.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So I've only just started Cold Steel, but am I going to be waiting a long time to get any S-Crafts?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

So I've only just started Cold Steel, but am I going to be waiting a long time to get any S-Crafts?

Laura is part of your first field study group in Chapter 1; she starts with an S-Craft. You get another for the end boss of the chapter.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Really Pants posted:

Laura is part of your first field study group in Chapter 1; she starts with an S-Craft. You get another for the end boss of the chapter.

I knew Machias was full of poo poo when he was offering to protect the girls, but I didn't realize he was that wrong.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Some Numbers posted:

I knew Machias was full of poo poo when he was offering to protect the girls, but I didn't realize he was that wrong.

Laura's most common moniker tends to be "The Strongest First Year".

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Really Pants posted:

You really do have to use every craft you can in that fight. Resounding Beat helps limit the damage, Armor Breaker and Motivate will set one of those jerks up for both your S-Crafts, Autumn Leaf Cutter delays their turns, Blessed Arrow keeps you healed and lets you rinse & repeat sooner. Are you going in with 200 CP on everybody?

Yeah, I generally get up Motivate and Resounding Beat on their first moves, though initially I was having the issue of Elliot getting confused virtually every single time before he even took a turn, thus delaying me getting Resounding Beat up - though that issue has been fixed. Autumn Leaf Cutter I'm not finding too useful for that fight since they're so spread out since it's only possible to hit one, so I may just try getting to 15 for Arc Slash. CP is not an issue.

Think I'm just going to grind the party to 15 in general, as that shouldn't take too long, and then try again.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I used Autumn Leaf Cutter as an oh-poo poo button, for when it looked like one of the enemies was just about to drop somebody.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Okay, getting up to 15 and picking up Arc Slash, along with some other tweaks, made a significant difference. Had a few close calls, but the only one that went down was Alisa once(well, technically twice) since she can't heal herself with Blessed Arrow, and I really needed it to keep my front-liners going.

What are people's opinions of characters so far, whether character-wise or mechanics-wise? Like, aside from Resounding Beat I'm not finding Eliott too useful, since Alisa currently does both Arts and healing better than him, along with being faster. And I find being able to reliably Guard Break at least certain enemies more useful than having a low chance against most.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

resounding beat is really good though

also heads up: hold r to run. i just realized this

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Also, make the "leader" a ranged character because it's so much easier to faint monsters from behind with ranged attacks, especially Machias' shotgun.

CardTech
Nov 11, 2009

Baseball bro'ing at a super-high level
Yeah, I wasn't planning on using Elliot much, but that craft is incredibly good, especially getting it right off the bat. It feels almost unfair getting access to that as the first move.

I enjoy the characters for the most part, but holy hell can I not stand Machias and that whole conflict between him and Jusis. Maybe he'll become tolerable later, but right now I'm dreading the inevitable mission group with those 2 down the line.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Fie's field attack confuses me. Sometimes it's a really slow double slash.

But sometimes it's a gunshot.

And I have no idea how to choose which it does.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Cake Attack posted:

also heads up: hold r to run. i just realized this

Motherfucker.

I'm about to finish chapter 1, Rean's weird VO stuff seemed to stop as soon as the field study got going. Really enjoying the game on my vita tho I'm excited to get back home from holidays for better load times/framerate on ps3.

Laura rules.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, there's a reason I said "aside from Resounding Beat." :v: I agree that it specifically is extremely good, the problem is it's also the ONLY good thing about Eliott, at least so far.

As for characters, I've generally found them all pretty interesting, but agree that Machias is really pushing my limit in being extremely aggravating currently. Even moreso in chapter 2 than 1 for reasons. Knowing Falcom they'll play it out well, but at the moment he's basically insufferable.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lord Koth posted:

Well, there's a reason I said "aside from Resounding Beat." :v: I agree that it specifically is extremely good, the problem is it's also the ONLY good thing about Eliott, at least so far.

As for characters, I've generally found them all pretty interesting, but agree that Machias is really pushing my limit in being extremely aggravating currently. Even moreso in chapter 2 than 1 for reasons. Knowing Falcom they'll play it out well, but at the moment he's basically insufferable.

Oh, I dunno. The fact that Macchias is somehow managing to be the arrogant noble type of the equation is pretty hilarious.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Really Pants posted:

Also, make the "leader" a ranged character because it's so much easier to faint monsters from behind with ranged attacks, especially Machias' shotgun.

Monsters have a limited chase distance. Move up to the monster so it chases you, run away until it stops. Walk up to it and wait for it to turn around to return to it's original spot you can get an easy faints with any character.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ojetor posted:

Monsters have a limited chase distance. Move up to the monster so it chases you, run away until it stops. Walk up to it and wait for it to turn around to return to it's original spot you can get an easy faints with any character.

But it's even easier with the range characters, since you don't have to get quite so close and risk an accidental encounter.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Machias is funny cause he's the family member who insists on arguing about politics at Christmas dinner while everyone else just tries to ignore it and talk about how nice the stuffing is

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

To get advantages I just hit them from the front and circle while hitting them twice or so to keep them staggered until I'm behind them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Machias is funny cause he's the family member who insists on arguing about politics at Christmas dinner while everyone else just tries to ignore it and talk about how nice the stuffing is
had a rough christmas huh

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

had a rough christmas huh

let me tell you what my family thinks about Trudeau and the alberta ndp

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Oh, as an outsider looking in his actions are hilarious. It's just that if I had to deal with an actual person with that personality my thoughts would not be "gosh, how can I smooth things over with him." More along the lines of "Just ignore him, try and resist the temptation to push him out the window."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I decided to finish my Nightmare Yunica run in Ys Origin and it's still hard as gently caress but I've gotten from the second half of Silent Desert to Blighted Blood and Yunica rules

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Is there any reason for still having lines under the new orbment system?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Is there any reason for still having lines under the new orbment system?

Progressively higher slot opening costs, and longer lines give higher EP gains. So hypothetically, an orbment with a ton of lines would be cheap to open, but give relatively small EP bonuses.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 25, 2015

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
There's probably more to it than this, but from what I recall playing around with the Japanese version, you can stick one status-effect quartz on each line, so honestly, I've gotten more use out of my multi-line people. The casters are kinda lagging behind.

There's these really nice quartz that I don't know the name of in English (drat you UPS) that were those Chinese gods, ie: Suzaku, etc that have 2 status effects each. I'm missing one but, they're probably made for Gaius because Fie has one of her lines restricted to Time.

But honestly, from what I've played of Zero, I think it might be that you're supposed to think that it's a heavily modded ENIGMA and that the lines are vestigial.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Colonel posted:

Yunica rules

:yeah:

She's my favourite Ys character and I wish she'd somehow show up in the main games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Just bought SC for myself for Christmas. I wonder if the writing was this slapstick in Japanese. SLUMBER! And "oh goddess, not yet!" Also the extra BP options are brutal. Only a 2 bp difference between Max rank and total points in the game means I can't go through it without a guide like I did with FC.