Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I still expect to see an announcement from BL any day now saying that they've dropped printed media entirely. Because it sure feels like they've done so already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
When i saw that they where going to start a new series happening in M31 with Orks as antagonist my mind immediately went "drat it this is going to further stall the Horus heresy isn't it?". Not to say that you can't do both.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The BL needs more tongue in cheek stuff like The Masters, Bidding. The 40k universe never recovered from GW starting to take it seriously, imo.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

Pay disputes? I know the authors don't get poo poo and the only ones I know they are writing right now is Dan Annett and ADB which are two of their biggest names.

I think it's more likely a re-evaluation by the new CEO. Plus, they have to do a lot of find/replace to update things for the big AoS-ing of the 40K universe.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Whoa whoa whoa. They are AOSing 40k?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Only in the minds of salty goons.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
AOSing?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Age of Smegmaring.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

AndyElusive posted:

Age of Smegmaring.

Is that an actual answer or some kind of goony and/or 4channy smug reply? I honestly have no clue. Could someone take pity on me and give me a straight answer please.

Edit: Oh Warhammer fantasy. Sorry!

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 22, 2015

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
GW killed off the setting for Warhammer Fantasy and replaced everything with a brand new game set as a continuation of the story in a new setting with new rules. The game is significantly less strategic and the setting is pretty lackluster. To some people, this indicates that a similar dumbing-down must occur to 40k as well.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Sure, I'll bite. Earlier this year GW killed off warhammer fantasy and replaced it with Age of Sigmar, which is really dumb and bad in almost every way. There's a ton of stuff on it in both the warhammer thread and GW death thread in the trad games subforum, and if you ask in either of those threads someone will have a good page number to start on.

Some goons are afraid/hoping that GW will give 40k a similar treatment and hasten their demise.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There was me thinking it was just goons using it to refer to GW's "rename everything" plans for 40k, as they did with fantasy so that they no longer use generic terms for their armies.

Polpoto
Oct 14, 2006

I'm enjoying the whole battle of Calth stuff but holy poo poo is GW dragging it out. They could be releasing tons of poo poo about the Whire Scars' fight to return to Terra or what the gently caress is going on with the Dark Angels but nope, "let's get back to the Battle of Calth cause Chaos and poo poo."

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am really really looking foward to the emperor of mankind, the next black legion Installment, the next ahriman installment and thatssss pretty much it. I dont know anyrhing else worth a poo poo on the horizon. I really wanna read some ham but like nothing decent has come out. I reread Helsreach and Night Lords recently cause I miss my hams.

Ive also been reading the safeway series by david webber lord help me

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. They are AOSing 40k?

I was just talking poo poo. I highly doubt they would AoS 40K, as it would be literal suicide for GW. Then again, I never thought they would trash Fantasy either, so...

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

WHFB was a tiny enough fraction of GW's sales that they could afford to fundamentally mess it up and give no fucks when it died in a fire.

They're not going to look at the horrific flop that is AoS and say "hey let's do the same with 40K what can go wrong".

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Waroduce posted:

I am really really looking foward to the emperor of mankind, the next black legion Installment, the next ahriman installment and thatssss pretty much it. I dont know anyrhing else worth a poo poo on the horizon. I really wanna read some ham but like nothing decent has come out. I reread Helsreach and Night Lords recently cause I miss my hams.

Friends don't let friends read baen books.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Waroduce posted:

All I'm looking forward to is The Warmaster.
Can it please come out next year? :(

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Apparently there's a Dan Abnett book coming out in 3 weeks about the Imperial Fists: http://www.amazon.com/I-Am-Slaughter-Beast-Arises/dp/1784960675/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1450989511&sr=8-3

I guess they're focusing on M32 now, for some loving reason.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Apparently there's a Dan Abnett book coming out in 3 weeks about the Imperial Fists: http://www.amazon.com/I-Am-Slaughter-Beast-Arises/dp/1784960675/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1450989511&sr=8-3

It's already available from BL. Sort of a weird book, honestly. I don't see how some of it will mesh with the story in 40K.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pendent posted:

It's already available from BL. Sort of a weird book, honestly. I don't see how some of it will mesh with the story in 40K.

The important question is, does it condradict any of SPACE MARINE?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/the-librarium-club.html

So apparently BL has announced a new exclusive book club deal where you get access to "exclusive" content, aka yet another excuse for them to cram more digital novels down your throat.

One of the features is that you can review the novels and get that review displayed on their website.
Why you need to pay them 75 quid for this is beyond me. Also yes, 75 loving quid for a novel a month seems a bit much.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
They really hated selling mass market paperbacks. Do they really do much better now then the old pricing scheme?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

drgnvale posted:

Sure, I'll bite. Earlier this year GW killed off warhammer fantasy and replaced it with Age of Sigmar, which is really dumb and bad in almost every way. There's a ton of stuff on it in both the warhammer thread and GW death thread in the trad games subforum, and if you ask in either of those threads someone will have a good page number to start on.

Some goons are afraid/hoping that GW will give 40k a similar treatment and hasten their demise.

One should never underestimate the idiocy of GW.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Weird, why M32 all of a sudden? The space wolves battle novel was set there too. It was redeemed solely by how grumpy Bjorn the fell-handed was. :allears:

Oh and Magus getting curb stomped, AGAIN.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
GW killed BL for me. I was a loyal reader, I purchased a lot of their books, like every horus heresy book even the bad ones. They lost me now that they arent doing regular releases and everything is either some piece of poo poo ebook novella or a limited edition $1000 dollar print only available on gamesday eve.

when am i gonna get the end of gaunts ghosts, wheres the next black legion book, whens the next inquisitor book, whats happening ahhhhh

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jerkface posted:

GW killed BL for me. I was a loyal reader, I purchased a lot of their books, like every horus heresy book even the bad ones. They lost me now that they arent doing regular releases and everything is either some piece of poo poo ebook novella or a limited edition $1000 dollar print only available on gamesday eve.

when am i gonna get the end of gaunts ghosts, wheres the next black legion book, whens the next inquisitor book, whats happening ahhhhh

Watch the Warmaster be a loving E-book.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I'm not really sure what their deal is these days. They seem to be far too focused on just spewing out the largest amount of short reads possible, mostly tied to AOS since they're pushing that hard as the new thing and 30k which they know sells really well.
And the thinly veiled product placements but even they have thinned out now as I think they've realized they don't sell as well.

I was going to say that it felt to me like BL revamped themselves to what they are now around the time the whole The Dark Hunters space marine chapter thing fell through but then that apparently happened back in January/February so I guess the revamp happened somewhere towards the end of the year since they still had a bunch of large book projects being released after that point.
I know I said this at the top of the page but I'm still expecting BL to just drop printed media completely because it feels like such of an afterthought for them now and that they just want to keep going with e-books because its cheaper and easier to deal with on their end.

Demiurge4 posted:

Watch the Warmaster be a loving E-book.

That's what I expect by now. :sigh:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Klaus88 posted:

One should never underestimate the idiocy of GW.

Weird, why M32 all of a sudden? The space wolves battle novel was set there too. It was redeemed solely by how grumpy Bjorn the fell-handed was. :allears:

Oh and Magus getting curb stomped, AGAIN.

Seems like there's a new sub-series called "The Beast Arises" that pretty much all of their writers are working on. Kind of lovely that it's taken them away from ongoing series like Pariah. And also that they're using it as a model to push a loving subscription service for audiobooks and ebooks: http://www.blacklibrary.com/the-beast-arises.html

No, I would not like to buy 12 different books in advance, thanks.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It is amazing that they think they've earned that level of trust. I've bought entire series on the strength of the first book, and generally that's been fine, but who could possibly trust GW that much?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I note there's not an audiobook version of the new Pharos novel. Which is unusual. They did seem to have moved to have audiobook versions of all the major novels. They even went back and recorded audiobooks of Nemesis and Battle for the Abyss after all.

Edit: It looks like there will eventually be a physical release, this is just yet another GW 'Exclusive'. So they'll probably be an audio in a few months when they release the dead tree version.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 26, 2015

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Waroduce posted:

This post could be from two years ago, basically (maybe not the ahriman one?). You could also add the desire for a Pariah sequel for good measure.

...since then there's been a few more bad dumb limited edition ebook releases nobody cares about, and the promise of more bad dumb releases nobody cares about. They've got several franchises and/or stories I'd care to read, and there's been progress on none of them. It's baffling.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm genuinely curious how much money they make with limited editions and digital quickreads as opposed to being on the New York Times bestsellers list novel after novel.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I hated pariah tbh, it wasnt the eisenhorn v ravenor I expected or wanted

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Waroduce posted:

I hated pariah tbh, it wasnt the eisenhorn v ravenor I expected or wanted

Abnett seems like he's trying to push the setting in different ways and the GW editors trust him enough to allow it. Which can mean cool things, or it can mean Pariah, where he spends the whole book selling you on the next book.

or Unremembered Empire, which posits that aliens had to kill Martin Luther King Jr. because equal rights and privileges for black people would have advanced the cause of Chaos.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, Pariah would have been much better served by being a standalone book. Instead it is essentially just an extremely long prologue, with all the dissatisfaction that would imply.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 27, 2015

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It's only dissatisfying because the next book is never coming out.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I liked Pariah on its own merits. :colbert:

But yeah, the sequel needs to show up at some point.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Snollygoster posted:

Abnett seems like he's trying to push the setting in different ways and the GW editors trust him enough to allow it. Which can mean cool things, or it can mean Pariah, where he spends the whole book selling you on the next book.

or Unremembered Empire, which posits that aliens had to kill Martin Luther King Jr. because equal rights and privileges for black people would have advanced the cause of Chaos.

Wait no wasn't the deal with the cabal that they didn't want humanity to unify? MLK was a threat to that so they had him killed.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Wait no wasn't the deal with the cabal that they didn't want humanity to unify? MLK was a threat to that so they had him killed.

My understanding is: the alien superfriends want Chaos to burn out through humanity so the rest of the sentient galaxy is spared. Damon Prytanis, their agent, assassinates people through the history of Earth in furtherance of this goal. By killing Martin Luther King Jr., the larger universe becomes safe from Chaos because Dan Abnett is a good writer fart faaarrrttt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Snollygoster posted:

My understanding is: the alien superfriends want Chaos to burn out through humanity so the rest of the sentient galaxy is spared. Damon Prytanis, their agent, assassinates people through the history of Earth in furtherance of this goal. By killing Martin Luther King Jr., the larger universe becomes safe from Chaos because Dan Abnett is a good writer fart faaarrrttt.

It was to prevent the unification of humanity and their power growing too much, spreading too much. I don't remember it being linked to Chaos at all for once.