Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

For me it's the realization that I share a hobby with these people that's concerning. Wehraboos are one thing (see also Panzeh's avatar), but posters who would otherwise unironically be just at home sounding like rabid Trump supporters is quite another, and especially when Matrix Games is supposed to have a "no politics" rule on their forums.

The super silly thing is that it's possible I share an office with some of the people working on gender integration in the armed forces :ssh:

e: but also I just wanted to poke the grumpy old man routine with a stick because on average 2015 was the best year to be alive ever and it's only going to get better

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I just broke down and bought War in the East. I'm just dicking around with the interface and manual and noticed a production mode.

Is there any way to effect the types of equipment being produced a la War in the Pacific, or is just information letting me know what, and how much is being, produced?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The game is indeed only showing you the toys. There is no way to affect their production or distribution.

Also you fool oughta have gotten DCB instead.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Saros posted:

Mind explainign these things? The HQ system is opaque to me, I get that you build 'into' HQ's and that having enough staff is important but the rest is pretty vague and doesnt respond well to experimentation.

Sure.

So the first thing to start with is supply. Supply is your major limiting factor in the game. Only your cities (the ones you start with that are your "people") can produce supply, and the number of cities you have is based on the game size. So x-large maps you have 5-6 cities, and if you max out producing supply for each that is basically the limit of your army. Supply then is produced in the cities and like all production flows down rail lines to your Superior HQ (by default, you can change this with one of the buttons, the factory with HQ over it. You will also need to set this for new cities.) The SHQ then redirects supply to the HQs underneath it, and then on down to your units.

I generally see things as a Corps like structure so I'm going to refer to the basic containers as divisions and to their HQs as corps HQs.

Supply has a max range, it is something like 50 AP (action points) for the SHQ and flows across land according to its AP value or across the ocean from port/city to port/city. So be aware if you want to amphibiously assault an island you want to either capture a city that borders a sea hex or build a port within the first 2-3 turns. Rail connections reduce the AP cost to one so are extremely effective at moving supply across land regardless of terrain. If you are dead set on a land war in asia have engineers following so they can build rails behind the front to move supplies up. If you need to extend your supply lines beyond the max 50 AP you can put HQs in between the SHQ and Corps HQs. There are some other minor rules but that is the gist of supply. There is a button that will show you the supply overlay so you can tell where you are missing coverage.

So with combat. First off your CHQs will have a max number of Staff (The box next to their picture that says STAFF) where if you go beyond this number they will have diminishing returns with the bonuses under the staff box. This needs to be balanced with the STF: XX% rating that appears under the HQs name in the unit box. This number determines the amount of divisions you can have in the Corps. If you go over this number and your staff number goes below 100% this will also eat into the bonuses that HQ gives to the divisions under his command. Be aware the type of elements you throw into your division are not equal and more powerful things like tanks and artillery will eat into your percentage much faster than just some chickenshit rifles.

*So in a perfect world you will have as many Staff elements in the CHQ as the number in the STAFF box and you will have as many divisions attached to the CHQ as it takes to make the STF: 100%. Couldn't be simpler! (lol) Don't sweat it if it isn't 100%. With the latest patch you can set the HQ in the Model menu (that will be a different post) and it will automate all this poo poo for you.

For the divisions themselves the big thing to look at is Stack and Weight. These can be found under the ANL (for anal) tab in the bottom window.

Now as I said in my earlier post the basic attack for all these games is having divisions attacking from multiple hexes and staying relatively in the stack limit. From one/two hexsides this limit is 100, 3 is 150, 4 200, etc. Therefore the best basic Stack number for a division is 50. Each element has a different number and it goes up for relative power just like everything else so infantry will be 1 stack point and a tank is 10. Therefore a 50 stack unit will be 50 infantry or 5 tanks.

Now I just said that 50 stack is the best but generally I go with 60 stack because it allows for the division to absorb a few more casualties and I build all my land divisions (save artillery/flak) with 60 Stack.

Obviously we can do a bit better than 60 rifles or 6 tanks. Here it is going to get a bit more complicated. Now not only does terrain effect supply movement, it effects troop movement (obviously) and troop efficiency as well both in attack and defense. So in cities or mountains something like an SMG is going to be better than a rifle. Furthermore something like infantry gun can't even move into a swamp. Added to this we have units that are considered Rear units that are invulnerable in normal combat so long as there are regular units in the mix.

For the attack then I want something that will be within the 60 Stack limit and have a good attack rating. Mortars and Infantry guns are both Rear units with attack values much better than basic infantry.

For defense we have things like machine guns or bazookas or anti tank guns. AT guns are rear and the other two are not.

How do I decide what to build? First we start with some infantry, think of them as ablative armor or "wounds" for the unit or whatever helps. You will need a basic number to help absorb some damage. So 20 infantry. Then you will want 5 machine guns and 5 bazookas. Finally throw in 6 Infantry guns (5 Stack each) and you got a respectable division that is fairly good on attack and can take a punch or two as well. Unfortunately you will soon find that those infantry guns take 50 AP to move just on open plains.

This is where Weight comes in. Also under the ANL tab is a handy box that will tell you the move type (foot/track/etc) weight and carry of each type of element in the division. So those heavy infantry guns with their weight of 10 a piece will require enough transport to carry 60. Luck for you transport is labeled in the production menu so you can build enough horses or trucks or whatever you want to use. Transport will not add to the stack of the division and will automatically pick up the fattest element in the division and convert its movement to the type of movement the transport uses. Horses go at foot, trucks are wheeled, tanks tracked, etc.

So finally we have a division with 20 Rifles, 5 Machine Guns, 5 Bazookas, 6 Infantry Guns, and 6 Horses. It will move at your basic foot soldier speed and attack/defend competently against infantry and somewhat defend against armor.

Speaking of armor, it has its own carry rating of 5 so instead of 6 tanks we can make an armored division of 4 tanks and 20 infantry to add a little more ablative armor to the mix or perhaps 4 tanks and 20 mortars for more punch in close terrain and still keep our tracked movement to allow us to buzz around the map.

Bleh I'll proofread this later.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I mainly play war board games and economic/industrialisation games and one guy was surprised when he learnt I was left wing. To be fair, he isn't wrong considering the demographic of people that usually play those games.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ZombieLenin posted:

I just broke down and bought War in the East. I'm just dicking around with the interface and manual and noticed a production mode.

Is there any way to effect the types of equipment being produced a la War in the Pacific, or is just information letting me know what, and how much is being, produced?

You don't designate what devices get produced but you can control what is being used by limiting replacements (Germany) or building new unit shells that must be filled out from your stockpiles of equipment (Soviet.) Mostly you can just ignore that screen.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
graviteam posted some new shots of Mius Front a few days ago:

https://www.facebook.com/Graviteam

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Command 1.10 is going to be cool.

Waypoints for cruise missiles

Steam Workshop for scenarios (I did this bit!)

Cooperative Engagement Capability
+ ABM modifiers (sometimes IRL shooting at ballistic missiles doesn't kill them, but makes them much less accurate. Doesn't take much to nudge a scud off course)
+ All ICBMs are capable of performing a high altitude burst which causes an EMP strike.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thats loving amazing :eyepop:

Cant wait for that to drop!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Riso posted:

The game is indeed only showing you the toys. There is no way to affect their production or distribution.

Also you fool oughta have gotten DCB instead.

I have it and have been playing it pretty much non-stop since release. I keep wanting to carry on after January 1942, so really it's DCB's fault I blew $54 on another Gary Grisby title. :argh:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How long does it take to get to the end of game in DCB? Not that that's a problem for a game with replayability I guess.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I would recommend Case Blue.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

LordPants posted:

How long does it take to get to the end of game in DCB? Not that that's a problem for a game with replayability I guess.

Playing about few hours a day after work--half assed while I also play world of tanks, about 2 days. Maybe start to finish 6 or 7 hours.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Alchenar posted:

The super silly thing is that it's possible I share an office with some of the people working on gender integration in the armed forces :ssh:

e: but also I just wanted to poke the grumpy old man routine with a stick because on average 2015 was the best year to be alive ever and it's only going to get better

gently caress those people (not the ones you work with, the other ones in that loving thread). Really. Their worldview cannot die, with them, fast enough.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 25, 2015

philosoraptor
Nov 4, 2008
Soiled Meat

ZombieLenin posted:

gently caress those people (not the ones you work with, the other ones in that loving thread). Really. Their worldview cannot die, with them, fast enough.

Great user name/post combo!

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Aw man that Command update makes me wish for a Bravo Romeo Delta remake. :sigh:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

philosoraptor posted:

Great user name/post combo!

I got no farther than the first page, and I could not loving stop myself.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Welp first game as Allies in WitW and a Major Axis Victory.

:downs:

edit: I really got clowned by V-Weapons, and I think the AI felt so confident that they put more units on the eastern front because the war lasted 6 weeks longer.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 26, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I have no interest in learning witw vs the computer but if anyone is interested in some pbem action I could validate purchasing this dumb game.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

uPen posted:

I have no interest in learning witw vs the computer but if anyone is interested in some pbem action I could validate purchasing this dumb game.

I have this feeling about all the Grognard games I've bought :smith:. Also first turns are the worst thing ever that keep me from starting new play throughs.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
How is the DC:B AI? Game worth playing singleplayer on both sides, or is it mostly for PBEM?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Anyone have issues logging into the Slitherine unified login thing? I can login on their main webpage at slitherine.com but get an error on the unified one at samelogin.slitherine.com, I want to claim my 3 year reward coupon :shepspends:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

LordPants posted:

Welp first game as Allies in WitW and a Major Axis Victory.

:downs:

edit: I really got clowned by V-Weapons, and I think the AI felt so confident that they put more units on the eastern front because the war lasted 6 weeks longer.

You know, you've got to have win conditions in a game, but the same historical results, in July instead of May, does not really ring in my ears as a Major Axis victory.

Still hanging on in 1946 seems a better fit for that label.

Llyranor posted:

How is the DC:B AI? Game worth playing singleplayer on both sides, or is it mostly for PBEM?

You know the Soviet AI seems pretty good, and linked with hosed German logistics, winning isn't easy.

Now the German AI, oth, seems pretty weak. Don't expect the computer to try to do large encirclements of you as a soviet player.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 27, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Another War In The East question:

So since I have no control over production (why can't you allow me to be able to prioritize not crappy equipment) what is the point of capturing factories or strategic bombing?

Is this just a victory point thing?

On a side note, and I've probably said it before, it's really annoying to me when games model strategic bombing and make the only game effect "points" you score at the end.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

For me it's the realization that I share a hobby with these people that's concerning. Wehraboos are one thing (see also Panzeh's avatar), but posters who would otherwise unironically be just at home sounding like rabid Trump supporters is quite another, and especially when Matrix Games is supposed to have a "no politics" rule on their forums.

Shoutout for the most left-wing wargame designer ever (he was literally a CPUSA diehard, back in the Brezhnev days!), Jack Radey.

http://www.c3iopscenter.com/documents/F&M%20Interview%20Jack%20Radey.pdf

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

So since I have no control over production (why can't you allow me to be able to prioritize not crappy equipment) what is the point of capturing factories or strategic bombing?

On a side note, and I've probably said it before, it's really annoying to me when games model strategic bombing and make the only game effect "points" you score at the end.

When you capture a factory you prevent the Soviets, or Germans, from producing said crappy equipment. Capture the proper factory and you'll even prevent them from making essential tanks. Now the Soviets will likely move the factories east, so the Germans have to really strive to nail a city before it's out.

I've found the strategic bombing to be fairly useless in WitE.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ZombieLenin posted:

As a Soviet player, you spend your Admin Points to produce an on-map counter, and then the automated production system fills up that counter with Stuff. You can't control whether the factories are producing T-70s or T-34s to serve as Stuff Filler, but if the Germans capture your factories, then you either can't build T-34s even if they're otherwise available, or worst case you can't build any tanks period.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

gradenko_2000 posted:

As a Soviet player, you spend your Admin Points to produce an on-map counter, and then the automated production system fills up that counter with Stuff. You can't control whether the factories are producing T-70s or T-34s to serve as Stuff Filler, but if the Germans capture your factories, then you either can't build T-34s even if they're otherwise available, or worst case you can't build any tanks period.

So as the German player it's merely a denial of resources thing? I.e. You can't capture the factories in Kiev before they are evacuated and have them switch over to producing German equipment at some point?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
It also puts a drain on the rail resources of the USSR. They don't have the space to max out factory transportation east and troop transportation west so if you are really hitting those factories hard it will mean more weak spots in the soviet line.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ZombieLenin posted:

So as the German player it's merely a denial of resources thing? I.e. You can't capture the factories in Kiev before they are evacuated and have them switch over to producing German equipment at some point?

I wouldn't really classify that as "merely", since preventing the Soviets from filling out their counters into decent fighting formations is a cornerstone to German victory.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The war for the Germans is a matter of speed. The war for the Russians is a matter of attrition and sheer numbers. Production should not be among your worries as a German player - you've got the whole over greater Germany pumping out arms and armor for you. Instead, you need to be focused on preventing the Russians from being able to develop that same luxury.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Drone posted:

The war for the Germans is a matter of speed. The war for the Russians is a matter of attrition and sheer numbers. Production should not be among your worries as a German player - you've got the whole over greater Germany pumping out arms and armor for you. Instead, you need to be focused on preventing the Russians from being able to develop that same luxury.

You are absolutely correct, and I am not really complaining.

But in keeping with the grognard spirit of the thread I want my simulation down to the useless minutia! I want my factory in Kiev spitting out ME109 frames after I've owned it for a year drat it!

Then when I'm losing the war and getting my rear end kicked in 1944 (who am I kidding I'd stop before this unless playing a human) I want to have to destroy the factory before the Russians retake the city. Why else would you buy a Grisby title!? :argh:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Except you never ever have enough tanks, trucks and other AFV's to fill out your Pz divisions so you have to prioritise. If you get to the oilfields you do get a lot of use out of them and I think some sorts of industry are captured intact it's just device (tank/plane/whatever) specific factories that are destroyed.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
You've uncovered a niche ripe for exploitation in the grognard genre: Gary Grigsby's Wartime Factory Manager

Each and every part entering/leaving your facility is tracked. Labor pool morale/disruption/shortages have an effect. Strategic bombing causes damage (though of course high level air raids are still OP). In a nod to DC:B, you deal with the personalities and demands of your various superiors.

All with graphics from the mid '90s and inscrutable UI.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

pthighs posted:

You've uncovered a niche ripe for exploitation in the grognard genre: Gary Grigsby's Wartime Factory Manager

Each and every part entering/leaving your facility is tracked. Labor pool morale/disruption/shortages have an effect. Strategic bombing causes damage (though of course high level air raids are still OP). In a nod to DC:B, you deal with the personalities and demands of your various superiors.

All with graphics from the mid '90s and inscrutable UI.

Stop giving the devs a reason to delay WitP 2

(Please make a new game incorporating all the theatres and call it something like A World at War, Gary!)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
If it doesn't simulate every ship and pilot then it ain't witp.

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010
Is there actually a WITP 2 in development? Please say yes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gary's apparently working on a new "War in Europe" title that combines WITE and WITW into one massive game.

It's going to be awful, and almost certainly won't see the light of day before 2020.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Drone posted:

Gary's apparently working on a new "War in Europe" title that combines WITE and WITW into one massive game.

It's going to be awful, and almost certainly won't see the light of day before 2020.

I would sperg so hard over a multiplayer combined theater.

I keep wanting to do a WITE PBEM but I'm not amazing at the game and the first turn is daunting :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Drone posted:

Witw being released really put a damper on me looking forward to this.