Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klades
Sep 8, 2011

The problem is that they had this huge base of content, and then by and large they don't even sort of try to make a lot of it relevant moving forward. I'm not saying that LotA needs to drop i210, or even any gear that it doesn't already drop at all, but I feel like it wouldn't hurt if the system was designed such that if someone logged in and went "I feel like doing LotA today" they would get some sort of relevant reward from it, like tomestones, allied seals, relic progress, or something like that.

Hivac posted:

I earnestly can't really think of a way to incentivize running old content in a way that benefits maximum level players unless they somehow managed to figure out a way to upscale everything dynamically in a way that would make it challenging to lv60 characters. And even then, you probably run the risk of turbonerds locking onto the most efficient thing possible and suddenly everyone's just running that one piece of content because it's the fastest. On top of that, I can't really imagine them implementing systems that would discourage players from running new content.

So the actual question for this theoretical scenario would be how would they give players a reason to run old content without shooting themselves in the foot with regards to the most recent content; I've found that glamour farming isn't really a very encouraging thing from the tepid responses I got when trying to organize glamour groups back before I let my sub lapse this month.

I think the key is that they don't need to go "Ok, we need to find a way to make players want to do old content". They need to go "Ok, we need to find a way to make sure that if players want to do old content they don't feel like they completely wasted their time", and then tune that reward until the number of people doing old content is reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Klades posted:

I think the key is that they don't need to go "Ok, we need to find a way to make players want to do old content". They need to go "Ok, we need to find a way to make sure that if players want to do old content they don't feel like they completely wasted their time", and then tune that reward until the number of people doing old content is reasonable.

Raid Roulette?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Gearhead posted:

Raid Roulette?

Yes, literally just do this. If people want to do it for a tomestone bonus, let em.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Niton posted:

Yes, literally just do this. If people want to do it for a tomestone bonus, let em.

*Queue pops.*

Corvus fortis
Corvus fortis
Corvus fortis ascendit
Superne videt praeteritum
Praesentem et futurum videt

:gibs:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Reminder heads up.

■Estates Subject to Removal
Type: private estate
World: Excalibur
Plot: Plot 12, 1 Ward, The Goblet
Removal Date: 2015-12-25 10:00:00 (PST)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Reminder heads up.

A Delve house?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gearhead posted:

*Queue pops.*

Corvus fortis
Corvus fortis
Corvus fortis ascendit
Superne videt praeteritum
Praesentem et futurum videt

:gibs:

As if it'll pass meteors.

That said, I'd be down for an extreme roulette, with coil and ex primals. Just only let people roulette into things they've cleared for the love of god.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
If anyone's mentioned this, I failed to notice (it's late, it happens), but even if they incentivize all this great old content, is there enough of a player base to keep spreading things thinner and still have reasonable queues?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Spreading thinner assumes a playerbase that doesn't grow at at least a rate high enough to keep up with newly produced content. Not everyone is working on their HW relic, there are tons that aren't even level 30 yet

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Reminder heads up.

Are houses not blowing up until this afternoon? I thought it would be as soon as the servers were up, but houses still stand.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
So, apparently, even though the Authenticator Removal e-mail only lasts for an hour, you can't send yourself another one for 24 hours.

Guess who forgot he sent the e-mail then assumed it would be simple in any way to send another one? Cool. Great. Fantastic. Wonderful

:negative:

Niton fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 25, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

kafziel posted:

Are houses not blowing up until this afternoon? I thought it would be as soon as the servers were up, but houses still stand.

Note the time listed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Niton posted:

I want new content, but in the absence of new content I would like a piece of content that headlined three patches to be runnable, period, with less than an hour of queue time.

It's not a literal never, you know. It takes a long, long time to pop and there are plenty of simple things they could do to alleviate the fact, without also making it mandatory in any sense of the word.

Have you logged in and joined the CT linkshell? There are people in each FC with invite powers. Hopefully it will fill out and be successful.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'll be happy to hop into that CT LS when I get back from vacation :unsmith:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Same, there's a few CT1 outfits I want and I only ever did the final thing once to finish off the questline. :effort:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kitfox88 posted:

Same, there's a few CT1 outfits I want and I only ever did the final thing once to finish off the questline. :effort:

Yeah, I really want the armor of light set from LotA and the healer set from WoD (at least the hat).

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Sheesh, the answer is obvious. New raid with the very logical storyline that all the old bosses are sick of your poo poo and have teamed up to stop you once and for all. Three randomly chosen bosses one after the other, also it can be the same boss three times (he is REALLY sick of your poo poo).

Or the next raid bosses randomly select from a pool of existing boss mechanics so you can't plan ahead of time. Throw in some new ones to be dicks about it. Now you're not sick of the new content because it's different every time. The correct mmo solution is always more rng, everyone loves rng :grin:

On a less jokey note maybe old rewards should be buyable with (whatever tomes), won't solve the lack of new content but at least people won't be locked out of old glamours or pets forever.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Mordiceius posted:

Reminder heads up.

How long ago did you get this mail, btw? Also, does anyone else on Excalibur have one? I've seen different times listed on different mails, and I wonder if times are server or player specific.

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread
Considering you could 8-man Syrcus Tower and 8-man World of Darkness (up to Cloud of Darkness at least) before Heavensward hit, all they'd really have to do is let people undersize it and just downscale a lot of the more unforgivable mechanics (specifically in LotA) to the amount of alliances in the raid, potentially downscaling enemy mob health as well, though even with an 8-man group of people at 60 nothing outside of instant-kill mechanics should really be an issue. They did it for things like the platforms in T11, so I'm not sure why they didn't/can't do it with Crystal Tower, it doesn't seem like it would be very difficult to implement.

Obviously newer content is better than revisiting really old content, but I don't see why they don't just introduce some kind of Super Echo buff for old unsynced content like Coil and CT, similar to the one you get in old dungeons in WoW, for people interested in just going stupid things like glamour farming solo or in really small groups. Feels like it would take a matter of minutes to implement, and there's no real reason not to do it for content that doesn't matter to most people anymore.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'd be down to join the CT linkshell if I was on Excalibur. I do have a linkshell from when I did all Scholar gimmick runs of content on Hyperion, so I'll probably convert that into its own CT shell when I get back to the states.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Actually, ironically the most bitchin' reward they can do is give the highest-end content rewards that are level 1 all-class items. Reuse existing models for previous high-end gear, slap "replica" on the name, and I'd actually be happy to run it so my low level mage can actually wear something like a skirt that was previously only for l50 tanks. Hell, they could even go rng by making the content give out slot-specific (head, feet, etc) tokens, then you can go to gold saucer and feed those tokens into capsule machines that will give you your gear

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

dromal phrenia posted:

Sheesh, the answer is obvious. New raid with the very logical storyline that all the old bosses are sick of your poo poo and have teamed up to stop you once and for all. Three randomly chosen bosses one after the other, also it can be the same boss three times (he is REALLY sick of your poo poo).

Sounds plausible to me. Just title the breadcrumb quest The Minstrel's Fanfic.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Meldonox posted:

Fanfic is the basic justification for Bullshit Mode Ultima and Thordin now... as to where the EQUIPMENT comes from? uh... BELLISARIO!

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Got a pretty cool house in the rush.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Sargatanas still hasn't seen houses open up. I'm sad.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Gearhead posted:

Fanfic is the basic justification for Bullshit Mode Ultima and Thordin now... as to where the EQUIPMENT comes from? uh... BELLISARIO!

I was featured in a piece of poo poo minstrel fanfic and all I got was this lousy sword that somehow beats what the Allagans stored in the Coil.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
The outrage from people predictably unable to obtain a house has not disappointed.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/276635-Please-implement-properity-tax

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/276637-Someone-Needs-Fired.-%28Housing%29

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Houseget! Woooooo.

So, okay. I have the option to build a Wood, Stone, or Composite house. If I plan to slap a Mogwall on it anyway, does this choice matter at all?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

nope

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Meldonox posted:

I was featured in a piece of poo poo minstrel fanfic and all I got was this lousy sword that somehow beats what the Allagans stored in the Coil.

To be fair, getting dropped from orbit and exploded by a rage dragon space ghost MAY be a valid reason for Alligan gear being less amazing when taken from the Coil.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Meldonox posted:

I was going to joke that the minstrels fanfic would be a romance mini game that dies in 1 patch cycle ala vermilion but then I realized a romance minigame would probably print money and overtake the main game and spawn expansions of its own.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

dromal phrenia posted:

I was going to joke that the minstrels fanfic would be a romance mini game that dies in 1 patch cycle ala vermilion but then I realized a romance minigame would probably print money and overtake the main game and spawn expansions of its own.

Depends on if it's visual novel type romance, jrpg style, or Bioware/American?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I remember there was an April Fool's Joke to this effect at one point

It was amusing but I was also kinda interested

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Kwyndig posted:

Depends on if it's visual novel type romance, jrpg style, or Bioware/American?

You just said the same thing 3 times.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I sure do love my bioware visual novels.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sentient Data posted:

Actually, ironically the most bitchin' reward they can do is give the highest-end content rewards that are level 1 all-class items. Reuse existing models for previous high-end gear, slap "replica" on the name, and I'd actually be happy to run it so my low level mage can actually wear something like a skirt that was previously only for l50 tanks. Hell, they could even go rng by making the content give out slot-specific (head, feet, etc) tokens, then you can go to gold saucer and feed those tokens into capsule machines that will give you your gear

This is basically what they did with the Odin 8man's loot. You can get his heavy armor set as pieces and it's usable by more than tanks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is basically what they did with the Odin 8man's loot. You can get his heavy armor set as pieces and it's usable by more than tanks.

Odin's gear is for disciples of war. Sadly a black mage can't rock his badass helmet :smith:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yaaaaaaaaaaay I got a house in the goblet :unsmith:

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Why no steam sale? Vacation comin up and I need to waste my life away..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Oovee posted:

Why no steam sale? Vacation comin up and I need to waste my life away..

You can get it for a donation of at least $5.25 to Humble Bundle for the next week and a half.

• Locked thread