Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Elgarbo you are in Melbourne right?

Sydney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also interested in a copy, despite not being in.

Shipping to Europe?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Whoa you guys work fast, I remember Elgarbo talking about the idea but a few months later you guys have put it together? I'm definitely in for at least one copy.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

nielsm posted:

Also interested in a copy, despite not being in.

Shipping to Europe?

Worldwide shipping!

Geektox posted:

Whoa you guys work fast, I remember Elgarbo talking about the idea but a few months later you guys have put it together? I'm definitely in for at least one copy.

Well, so far it's a semi-complete in a digital form... but I should be able to have a proof by mid to late January and from there we can getting exact prices and taking orders. But I wasn't kidding when I said I wanted to do this!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Should we advertise the zine in the Creative Convention ?
Whoever is going to package it might want to keep a low count though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I think it would be easier if Elgarbo setup a Google forms submission thing to capture the details of those who want a copy (and more).

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I will not be able to commit to printing anything until at least February. Even then I would need to discuss this with my boss.

We are doing the install of our digital press the middle of January and then a couple of weeks of training and dialing things in.

So at this time I would not count on me printing anything just in case.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

IMO Kickstarter would actually be good in this case - could essentially take "preorders" for a # of zines per-person with the cost set at whatever KS takes + payment processor cut + printing costs + shipping etc

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

ansel autisms posted:

IMO Kickstarter would actually be good in this case - could essentially take "preorders" for a # of zines per-person with the cost set at whatever KS takes + payment processor cut + printing costs + shipping etc

"If your project is successfully funded, the following fees will be collected from your funding total: Kickstarter's 5% fee, and payment processing fees (between 3% and 5%). If funding isn't successful, there are no fees." https://www.kickstarter.com/help/fees

So, 10% markup?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

huhu posted:

"If your project is successfully funded, the following fees will be collected from your funding total: Kickstarter's 5% fee, and payment processing fees (between 3% and 5%). If funding isn't successful, there are no fees." https://www.kickstarter.com/help/fees

So, 10% markup?

Seems fair. They deal with the organization, payment, etc.

Plus more people will probably buy in making things cheaper for everyone.

Kickstarter makes sense for this I think.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

huhu posted:

So, 10% markup?

Yeah it'll be about 8% if prior experience is anything to go by. But Paypal isn't free either and at least kickstarter does all the backend work. And, perhaps most significantly, it sets a hard deadline for orders.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah I wouldn't mind the 8-10% markup as an administrative cost. Makes payment collection and processing much easier too.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I'm all for a Kickstarter. 50 copies isn't very many if we want to get this further than the Dorkroom, so this would be a good way of judging extra demand and gives us a way to promote (even if just in CC) before we have to decide on a print run. Again, happy to pay extra if it makes admin easier for elgarbo.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm on-board for KS if that's the thread consensus. I can think of a few people on my facebook who might swing for a copy if I posted a kickstarter link with a "hey folks I took some pictures and so did other people".

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Yeah KS seems like a good idea. Extra 2.5 USD won't be a deal breaker, and maybe some of my friends and family might be silly enough to spring for a copy if it is open to people outside of dorkroom.

Quick question: will you be posting a mockup of the layout you are planning for the magazine? I am curious how you will be handling horizontal images in it.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Putrid Grin posted:

Yeah KS seems like a good idea. Extra 2.5 USD won't be a deal breaker, and maybe some of my friends and family might be silly enough to spring for a copy if it is open to people outside of dorkroom.

Quick question: will you be posting a mockup of the layout you are planning for the magazine? I am curious how you will be handling horizontal images in it.

Here's a basic mockup with a landscape oriented shots. Imagine the fold dividing these two pages:

Generally, shots are justified to the top of the page, centered with the bleed area as a border. Obviously that means portrait oriented shots get more page real estate but there's not much that can be done to solve that (other than crossing the fold, but then there wouldn't be space for two photos.) Obviously, I am open to any other suggestions that might solve this problem that I'm missing, but I've been poring over photobooks to get layout ideas and this is what I've found most palatable so far.

90% of submissions are in the same format, so I've been opting for symmetrical layouts across the double page spread. In the cases where I have different crop sizes or different orientations, I've just been experimenting until I find something that looks pleasing to my eye.

In some instances, I've been experimenting with black page backgrounds to add some contrast and variety. Not sure if I'm going to run with this in the final copy or not at this point. Open to feedback on this as well.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You can't straight up rotate the page for landscape shots? So you rotate the zine to view those. I've certainly seen that done in print before.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

elgarbo posted:

Here's a basic mockup with a landscape oriented shots. Imagine the fold dividing these two pages:

Generally, shots are justified to the top of the page, centered with the bleed area as a border. Obviously that means portrait oriented shots get more page real estate but there's not much that can be done to solve that (other than crossing the fold, but then there wouldn't be space for two photos.) Obviously, I am open to any other suggestions that might solve this problem that I'm missing, but I've been poring over photobooks to get layout ideas and this is what I've found most palatable so far.

90% of submissions are in the same format, so I've been opting for symmetrical layouts across the double page spread. In the cases where I have different crop sizes or different orientations, I've just been experimenting until I find something that looks pleasing to my eye.

In some instances, I've been experimenting with black page backgrounds to add some contrast and variety. Not sure if I'm going to run with this in the final copy or not at this point. Open to feedback on this as well.

Looks pretty cool. I would consider aligning the caption with the left side of the photo, instead of centering it, and maybe use regular font for names instead of bold. Maybe having just one line of text. In my mind captions are meant to be unobtrusive, instead of being central to the page composition. Just my 2 cents.
The back background idea seems pretty neat!

nielsm posted:

You can't straight up rotate the page for landscape shots? So you rotate the zine to view those. I've certainly seen that done in print before.
I feel that you would usually need some "breaks" between horizontal and vertical layouts in order to inform the reader that a change in reading experience is coming. If you hit a page you have to rotate out of the blue, it can disrupt the "reading" flow and be jarring. Although I might just be over analyzing it.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

elgarbo posted:

If we're aiming for a consistent, clean design, I'd be tempted to make all images have apparently equal area rather than print each one to fill as much page area as possible. Given some images have different aspect ratios, I'm suggesting what one perceives to have equal weight, not necessarily what is actually equal.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Ric posted:

If we're aiming for a consistent, clean design, I'd be tempted to make all images have apparently equal area rather than print each one to fill as much page area as possible. Given some images have different aspect ratios, I'm suggesting what one perceives to have equal weight, not necessarily what is actually equal.

It's certainly an option, although filling up all of the top space of the page up to the bleed also provides that unifying consistency - just in a different way.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ric posted:

While that would be consistent, I kinda feel that's just probably going to end up wasting space on paper. I'd probably go with the solution of rotating landscape shots to turn them into "portrait" orientation, maximizing the space. And although I do think it could possible be jarring, ultimately this isn't a sequenced photobook but a showcase of separate works so the continuity in that sense doesn't really matter so much IMO. But I guess the final choice should be Elgarbo's, since he's the one doing all the hard work.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Putrid Grin posted:

Looks pretty cool. I would consider aligning the caption with the left side of the photo, instead of centering it, and maybe use regular font for names instead of bold. Maybe having just one line of text. In my mind captions are meant to be unobtrusive, instead of being central to the page composition.

Yea I agree with this. Smaller non bold font.
Centered or left aligned, doesn't matter to me they both look good.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I'm gonna chime in here as somebody who hates the idea of having to turn a book/zine to look at a photo. It disrupts the flow of my experience of the thing.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

alkanphel posted:

While that would be consistent, I kinda feel that's just probably going to end up wasting space on paper. I'd probably go with the solution of rotating landscape shots to turn them into "portrait" orientation, maximizing the space. And although I do think it could possible be jarring, ultimately this isn't a sequenced photobook but a showcase of separate works so the continuity in that sense doesn't really matter so much IMO. But I guess the final choice should be Elgarbo's, since he's the one doing all the hard work.
Space around the images is a design choice, to allow images to breathe, help flow, change the relationship between opposing or following images, act as punctuation... - terrible to consider it wasted space.

I've seen books where turning works very well, amongst other devices that remind the viewer that he/she is looking at a book. In this instance, it's unlikely to work, and would merely serve to change the relationship between the selected pairs.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Voting for no turning.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Definitely not going to be able to please everyone in this regard. I'll keep tinkering with it, though. I like the justification for less prominent captions.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Ric posted:

I've seen books where turning works very well, amongst other devices that remind the viewer that he/she is looking at a book.

I have been thinking about doing this in some of my books, but I haven't figured out how to make it work well. Mind dropping some titles where I could get some ideas of how to go about it?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Well at least I now know my design sense is pretty bad!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Putrid Grin posted:

I have been thinking about doing this in some of my books, but I haven't figured out how to make it work well. Mind dropping some titles where I could get some ideas of how to go about it?
The two best examples are probably Stephen Gill's Coming up for air and Claes Oldenburg's Photo log, May 1974 - August 1976.

Chris Killip's In flagrante also requires the viewer physically manipulate the book to reveal a clear image, through use of shiny paper prone to glare.

elgarbo posted:

Definitely not going to be able to please everyone in this regard. I'll keep tinkering with it, though.
It may not seem it, but I'm not really bothered about how this is ultimately done in this zine.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

Voting for no turning.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Thoogsby posted:

Voting for no turning.

Maggie Thatcher on the back cover

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Suggestion: keep the portrait shots the same paper area as the landscape shots and enjoy the whitespace.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

Suggestion: keep the portrait shots the same paper area as the landscape shots and enjoy the whitespace.

Maybe go for 8x8 or 10x10 zine size so that portrait or landscape orientation will be roughly be the same image size.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

alkanphel posted:

Maybe go for 8x8 or 10x10 zine size so that portrait or landscape orientation will be roughly be the same image size.
But then all of your square crops will be bigger than everyone else's!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Saint Fu posted:

But then all of your square crops will be bigger than everyone else's!

Could always make it 3/4 lengthwise of the long side.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Okay, I think I've finished making this thing.

No point discussing layouts anymore because I've plugged everyone's photos in, captioned them and it looks done. Too much work to go back and revise it now... so if the design ends up being poo poo and against everyone's taste, we'll write it off to being a zine made by a guy who just stole all his design ideas from photobooks. That said, I think it looks pretty rad.

Next step: give the PDF a good proof-read, then send it off to the printer to get a proof printed. This will cost me some cash, which I'll account for when I work out the final cost of each zine. Apparently the proof should be ready mid to late January.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

elgarbo posted:

Okay, I think I've finished making this thing.

No point discussing layouts anymore because I've plugged everyone's photos in, captioned them and it looks done. Too much work to go back and revise it now... so if the design ends up being poo poo and against everyone's taste, we'll write it off to being a zine made by a guy who just stole all his design ideas from photobooks. That said, I think it looks pretty rad.

Next step: give the PDF a good proof-read, then send it off to the printer to get a proof printed. This will cost me some cash, which I'll account for when I work out the final cost of each zine. Apparently the proof should be ready mid to late January.
I don't want to make any more work for you, but does this mean everyone's photos are up to scratch res & colour wise? Or is that something you'll be evaluating once you have the proof?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

rohan posted:

I don't want to make any more work for you, but does this mean everyone's photos are up to scratch res & colour wise? Or is that something you'll be evaluating once you have the proof?

Yeah I'll confirm that with the proof. It all looks like it *should* be fine looking at the final PDF, though.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
So are we kickstarting this bitch? Who is organizing that part? I don't mind helping, but I can't guarantee good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

So are we kickstarting this bitch? Who is organizing that part? I don't mind helping, but I can't guarantee good work.

for minimum "money transmission, know your customer" bullshit it should probably be elgarbo's accounts that get the $ straight from KS

• Locked thread