Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...

COOL CORN posted:

Best of luck!

We're having elections tonight, and things are looking like I'll be Junior Warden next year, which puts me as master two years from now. Yikes!

Me too. We'll share tips. You're an Aussie, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Me too. We'll share tips. You're an Aussie, right?

Nope! North Carolina, USA.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I just had my initial interview last night. I think it went well, and I'm told that I'll likely receive word around mid-December. It's been about a year long process, given that I left the country after submitting my petition, so the fact that things are moving along is pretty exciting.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
GLofDC lays it out: http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2015/11/glofdc-issues-statement-concerning.html

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Do we have any brethren from this thread or known to us here in it in Paris at the moment?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Don't tell me you guys were behind this one, too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Whoo, I'm in!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

GlyphGryph posted:

Whoo, I'm in!
Congrats :) Is there a date set for your initiation?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

COOL CORN posted:

Congrats :) Is there a date set for your initiation?

I was told my degree work begins on January 19th, I don't know if that is when any initiation would happen or what.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

GlyphGryph posted:

I was told my degree work begins on January 19th, I don't know if that is when any initiation would happen or what.

It is :) Can't wait to hear how it goes.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Given the daily telegraph article that was published on the 23rd of November, do you now want to confess your organizations culpability in rigging the Titanic Board of Trade inquiry and hiding the identity of Jack the Ripper? :catdrugs:

Also please done :smugissar: me. I didn't write the article! :cripes:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

Also please done :smugissar: me. I didn't write the article! :cripes:

Why would we do that when it's all true?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

What a lovely conspiracy. We murder prostitutes and sink a giant cruise ship, but we can't prevent a reporter from printing stories about it?

Ugh!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Emron posted:

Why would we do that when it's all true?

I don't think you would! It was meant as a joke; however, If you want to understand the logic behind the accusation and why this poo poo still ends up in the news...:

You are a member of a private and secretive organization, and might go out of your way to provide social and economic capital to other members of your organization who are in trouble.

So, in the case of Titanic, if the owners and builders of a ship that sinks with incredible loss of life stand to be culpable for that disaster based on the British Board of Trade inquiry, and the owners and builders of said ship are Masons, and the Board of Trade members conducting the inquiry are also Masons, then people who are not Masons might find any Board of Trade Inquiry that exonerates their fellow Masons suspect.

The idea is that, like in Modern Fraternities, or maybe the "Brotherhood of the Police", Masons might do all they can to help their "brothers", even if the broader society might find such behavior unethical and unjust.

Same for line of reasoning goes for the Jack the Ripper Mason thing. The idea is the Masons in police and government positions hide the identity of the killer to protect either the image of Free Masonry or to protect a particular individual who is a Free Mason.

This is basically at the heart of nearly all Free Mason conspiracy theories.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 30, 2015

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

As some of you know, I am a MM from the Netherlands. We had a small scandal recently regarding a Lodge keeping a fellow EA out of troubles by not saying anything when he, while giving a speech to his brethren confessed to have committed 11 (eleven!) killings/murders as revenge for the death of his family in the chaotic times that were post-war Indonesia. This confession was done about 40 years after the deed and of questionable truth, on the other hand, why would one lie about this when amongst those he trusts.
The lodge set up an investigation that focused mostly on whether or not this man could maintain a member. The committee considered the time that passed and the huge mess Indonesia was in the early 50s and decided not to act in any way to keep the matters in closed rooms. They were wrong of course. The reasoning why they were wrong is interesting in itself, the Dutch Grand Lodge responded in an official and public letter to all the members and press that the Lodge messed up back then.

Anyway, this is a prime and publicly known example of how the Masonic Brotherhood protects a fellow member who turns out to me a mass murderer.

All those involved are dead now.

Of old age, you dimwits.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Colonial Air Force posted:

What a lovely conspiracy. We murder prostitutes and sink a giant cruise ship, but we can't prevent a reporter from printing stories about it?

Ugh!

Excuse me. Ocean Liner. There is a significant difference between Ocean Liners and Cruise Ships. For instance, Cunard's Queen Mary 2 is an Ocean Liner--meaning it was built specifically to get people from point A to point B over the open ocean. In practice this means Ocean Liners have a deeper draft and approximately 50% more steel than a Cruise Ship. This is because the ship has to stand up to the stresses of continuous open ocean travel, and needs to be more stable in large wave conditions.

Cruise Ships on the other hand, while occasionally crossing open oceans to re-position, typically stay in shallow water areas within the relative safety of being close to shore. Because of this, they use less steel and build in more things like cabins. They also have a shallow draft to get into shallow ports.

In 1912 I do not believe there were any purpose built cruise ships, and certainly Titanic was not. Titanic was built by White Star Line for the regular transatlantic passenger trade--back when planes could not get you across big oceans. She was to run with her sister ship Olympic, which was already completed, and a third sister "Gigantic" (later Britannic). That way White Star could offer service going from England, France, and Ireland to New York once every 3 days--though White Stars other, smaller vessels, would also continue both the Boston and Canada routes. :downswords:

See this is what happens when my maritime history grognard comes out...

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 30, 2015

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Colonial Air Force posted:

Ugh!

Well, we keep complaining that Masonry's not as good as in the old days. Clearly this is why, not our declining member numbers!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Hello! I just started the petitioning process. Figured I'd check in here.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
You know, thinking on it, I find it very telling that none of the 'Jack the Ripper was a mason!' people ever stop to check if the three 'Juwes' are known in English masonry. It's one of the substantial differences between American and English masonry, and if we were to accept it as the smoking gun, it would make the culprit an American or Continental Mason.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Loomer posted:

You know, thinking on it, I find it very telling that none of the 'Jack the Ripper was a mason!' people ever stop to check if the three 'Juwes' are known in English masonry. It's one of the substantial differences between American and English masonry, and if we were to accept it as the smoking gun, it would make the culprit an American or Continental Mason.

I have so many questions right now

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

You came at the right time, we just were discussing Jack the Ripper and world domination.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Paladine_PSoT posted:

&

Keetron posted:

You came at the right time, we just were discussing Jack the Ripper and world domination.

Would you like to join the Scottish Rite (would domination) or York Rite (Jack the Ripper) or perhaps you'll make a B line to the Shrine (Aliens). Because this is how Freemasonry works and I'm not just make crap up right now.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 2, 2015

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

I have so many questions right now

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Chuck me a PM then and I'll answer and send you my thinking on the matter. Just make sure to, if you haven't already PMed about mason stuff, let me know you're a MM by an appropriate method since the matter does involve the teachings of that degree.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

These guys are getting desperate, someone call corporate and tell them this is a bit low.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Paramemetic posted:

These guys are getting desperate, someone call corporate and tell them this is a bit low.

Wow, lycos? Get with the times, illuminati.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Havent checked up on the thread since my promotion (I now work for my Grand Lodge as a full time administrative assistant to my GS), but that's not what I came here to post.

I came here to post this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/_VeBtNho9p/

and I think it's rad

(if you don't know who that is, https://youtu.be/f712UmUYHyA & https://youtu.be/yzC4hFK5P3g)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

SylvainMustach posted:

Havent checked up on the thread since my promotion (I now work for my Grand Lodge as a full time administrative assistant to my GS), but that's not what I came here to post.

and I think it's rad

(if you don't know who that is, https://youtu.be/f712UmUYHyA & https://youtu.be/yzC4hFK5P3g)

I don't understand any of what you linked, but I would like to.
Wait, I think I have it figured out, it is some Japanese singer who is using FM symbols as a fashion statement just because she can?

Keetron fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 22, 2015

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

What the gently caress. :staredog:

Edit: I think there are 40k goons in here, is that what a Slaanesh party would look like? You know like that part in the Horus Heresy book Fulgrim where they had a kickin rad party and summoned daemons and stuff.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 22, 2015

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Keetron posted:

I don't understand any of what you linked, but I would like to.
Wait, I think I have it figured out, it is some Japanese singer who is using FM symbols as a fashion statement just because she can?

Haha yeah.thats it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
One of these days I'm gonna find the perfect Mason ring for the perfect price that fits me just right. I just can't justify hundreds of dollars for a ring :(

I think Jems By Jem might be the best option.
This ring looks both classy and simple and not too gaudy. http://store.jemsbyjem.com/hisqandcoans2.html

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 22, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

COOL CORN posted:

One of these days I'm gonna find the perfect Mason ring for the perfect price that fits me just right. I just can't justify hundreds of dollars for a ring :(

I think Jems By Jem might be the best option.
This ring looks both classy and simple and not too gaudy. http://store.jemsbyjem.com/hisqandcoans2.html

I like jemsbyjem and Proline. This is my ring: http://prolinedesigns.com/catalog/masonic-ring-style-006b/

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Good news! I was accepted, and my initiation is set for December 29th.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

SylvainMustach posted:

and I think it's rad

If any of you non-masonic readers are curious, yes, this is more or less how a Lodge meeting goes.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Loomer posted:

If any of you non-masonic readers are curious, yes, this is more or less how a Lodge meeting goes.

And for those that haven't visited a Prince Hall lodge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dCNym6sO3E

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Those are nice. Here's mine: http://www.bodenseeschmiede.com/epages/62310632.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62310632/Products/%22FMRS%20100%22

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, I had my initiation last night. Everything went very well, and after we closed and congratulations were issued, we had a nice drink at the bar that operates right next to our building.

I'm very glad I decided to pursue this course in my life. The members of this lodge are very warm and friendly, and even though I'm by far the youngest member at 23, I feel welcomed and respected by everyone.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Well, I had my initiation last night. Everything went very well, and after we closed and congratulations were issued, we had a nice drink at the bar that operates right next to our building.

I'm very glad I decided to pursue this course in my life. The members of this lodge are very warm and friendly, and even though I'm by far the youngest member at 23, I feel welcomed and respected by everyone.

Great to hear mate. What part of the world are you from. Were scattered all over the earths broad surface itt ...

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Congratulations! The younger members at my lodge do the same. I think it's a great thing--it really deepens the ties you're building with your new brethren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Great to hear mate. What part of the world are you from. Were scattered all over the earths broad surface itt ...

USA, specifically Eastern Shore of Maryland.