Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So what's happening with the final episode of Gravity Falls? Was the whole thing horrendously unpopular or something? The airing of the last few episodes has been dragged out to an absurd degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Not at all. It's still insanely popular. The show's plot has ran it course and now it's ending. In true Disney fashion, the network is drawing out the final episode an ridiculous amount, just like they have with the entire run of the series.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So what's happening with the final episode of Gravity Falls? Was the whole thing horrendously unpopular or something? The airing of the last few episodes has been dragged out to an absurd degree.

Gravity Falls and Dragged Out.. just kind of go along together. It took like, two years for the first season to finish, another year and a half or so for the second. (Roughly estimated.) Long spans where it'd be a month, or two months between episodes.

It's not to Venture Brothers level of waiting, but it's still pretty long.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

They still haven't aired the final episode? I've been holding off on watching the couple of episodes I haven't seen yet so I can watch them all. What is it with Disney and apparently using a dartboard to schedule all their shows I remotely give a poo poo about.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

raditts posted:

They still haven't aired the final episode? I've been holding off on watching the couple of episodes I haven't seen yet so I can watch them all. What is it with Disney and apparently using a dartboard to schedule all their shows I remotely give a poo poo about.

It's been said that they time the releases for dates when kids are least likely to have lots of homework or extracurricular activities going on. No idea if that's true, but it sounds like something Disney would do.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Wakfu is soooo freakin pretty:

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Pakled posted:

It's been said that they time the releases for dates when kids are least likely to have lots of homework or extracurricular activities going on. No idea if that's true, but it sounds like something Disney would do.

Based on that, I'd assume it'll be back once school starts back up after the holiday, before classes really get going again.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pakled posted:

Well it's been a long time since I was in school but it seems to me like the week between Christmas and new years would be the most prime time for that outside of summer vacation... but I guess that's why I don't work for Disney.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Well it's been a long time since I was in school but it seems to me like the week between Christmas and new years would be the most prime time for that outside of summer vacation... but I guess that's why I don't work for Disney.

Yeah but Xmas is also the time of year when families are always going on vacations and visiting relatives and poo poo. It's a much more chaotic time compared to the school year which is monotonous as gently caress and generally leads to families falling into routines.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

No, quite the opposite actually, Disney just have an idea in their rear end that playing keep away with the content boosts the ratings.

It probably does but The optics of the situation (That a three part finale is spread over, what, six months at this point?) are horrendous and far more in the shadow of Netflix.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 26, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
IIRC Hirsch actually used his clout at Disney to get an episode released when he wanted to rather than on their schedule and it got noticeably lower ratings, so even he is pretty OK with it now.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That doesn't make it good.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Cartoon Network is operating in the same way. Air 5 episodes a week, call it a "bomb", then wait a month or two to do it again. One of the guys on Steven Universe said that they're doing another one in January, then straight back to hiatus.

It's good ratings, but it is really annoying :shrug:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
At the very least this show is ending the way the creator wanted it to. There are noticeable dropped subplots but they're not because of foul play, just how the show turned out (i.e. I'm blaming Hirsch for not developing side characters more)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Acne Rain posted:

At the very least this show is ending the way the creator wanted it to. There are noticeable dropped subplots but they're not because of foul play, just how the show turned out (i.e. I'm blaming Hirsch for not developing side characters more)

Yeah kudos to him for that, even if Season 2B is kinda a huge letdown compared to Seasons 1 & 2A

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am way behind on cartoons because I spent a few years deluding myself that I'd like anime if I only gave it more of a try, so I only picked up Gravity Falls somewhere around the mid-S2 break. At which point I discovered it was ending. :( It's not a bad place to end it, mind, although it seems like they could have easily cranked out a decent third season.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My pet theory is that Alex was still trying to renew the show while the most recent few episodes were in production. Since the show's future was still in the air he wrote them in such a way that he COULD make a third season if he wanted too but could also wrap things up if everything went south. Now that negotiations are over and he knows he isn't getting renewed he's taking the next few months to actually make the final episode (hence the long delay).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

Cartoon Network is operating in the same way. Air 5 episodes a week, call it a "bomb", then wait a month or two to do it again. One of the guys on Steven Universe said that they're doing another one in January, then straight back to hiatus.

It's good ratings, but it is really annoying :shrug:
The strange thing is that they only started doing this last summer. Before then, Thursday was the dedicated day for new episodes of their best/most popular shows, which meant minimal waiting unless they had already ended the season. I'm not exactly sure why they went for the current format. Does it give the creators more time to make new episodes?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Y-Hat posted:

The strange thing is that they only started doing this last summer. Before then, Thursday was the dedicated day for new episodes of their best/most popular shows, which meant minimal waiting unless they had already ended the season. I'm not exactly sure why they went for the current format. Does it give the creators more time to make new episodes?

The first Steven Bomb didn't get amazing ratings but it caused the fanbase to explode. They seem to think they can just do that for all of their shows and have the same thing happen. They're ignoring though that SU is tailor-made for the Tumblr audience and that first Steven Bomb was timed with an awesome and eventful season finale that had been building up for a while.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
yeah the second two steven bombs were still entertaining but did not recapture the lightening in a bottle the first one was, first one was pretty magical.
I would HOPE though now that it's been like, what? a year? half a year?, and they've been doing it for all their shows + two more for that show specifically without repeating any of that success, you'd think The Ones In Charge would learn.

but really expecting entertainment company heads to earn their keep acting on logic and data instead of superstition and star sign reading is asking a lot

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can see why episode bombs would work better for Cartoon Network shows that are less reliant on an overarching plot. Doing them for Adventure Time and Steven Universe means that you have less time to digest new episodes. It works better for stuff like Regular Show or We Bare Bears where you don't have to worry about too much changing.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The other major issue to that format is it exhausts episode caches quickly as well. One of the writers said by the end of that third marathon they were desperate for a long hiatus to build up finished episodes.

The format works, I feel, when the handful of episodes form a clearly story arc like the first time. When you just take 5 episodes and like 2 are part of a story and the other three are self contained, it seems pointless.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

readingatwork posted:

My pet theory is that Alex was still trying to renew the show while the most recent few episodes were in production. Since the show's future was still in the air he wrote them in such a way that he COULD make a third season if he wanted too but could also wrap things up if everything went south. Now that negotiations are over and he knows he isn't getting renewed he's taking the next few months to actually make the final episode (hence the long delay).

http://shmalexsmirsch.tumblr.com/post/133619326491/goodbye-gravity-falls

He was actually fighting to not renew the show.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
also there's no any episode of anything animated showing up within the next few months was "still being made" recently, except possibly south park

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Any big new shows premiering next year to keep an eye out for? Did Lakewood Plaza Turbo actually get the go ahead to become a real series?

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Any big new shows premiering next year to keep an eye out for? Did Lakewood Plaza Turbo actually get the go ahead to become a real series?

I believe so, I saw cleaned up designs posted at one point

in any case there was this

Chibs fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 27, 2015

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You do get a neat effect with the bombs where there are sort of "micro seasons" with a total arc along them. Although, if they're going to do that, they could just make seasons shorter instead. A bomb is almost the same length as some seasons for British TV shows, and Steven Universe is organized so that its first "season" was a 52 episode behemoth. It's madness.

Y-Hat posted:

I could swear I remember them doing something similar years back when I was still watching after school.

Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...

OldTennisCourt posted:

The other major issue to that format is it exhausts episode caches quickly as well. One of the writers said by the end of that third marathon they were desperate for a long hiatus to build up finished episodes.

The format works, I feel, when the handful of episodes form a clearly story arc like the first time. When you just take 5 episodes and like 2 are part of a story and the other three are self contained, it seems pointless.

Yeah, Stevenbombs should be reserved for special occasions like season finales. This next one will mean more than half of season 2's episodes aired in a bomb rather than a weekly schedule. It's nice to have time to digest episodes and be able to look forward to a new one next week, so constantly rushing through 5 episodes in 5 days (usually followed by hiatus) isn't ideal.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Lobsterhead posted:

Yeah, Stevenbombs should be reserved for special occasions like season finales. This next one will mean more than half of season 2's episodes aired in a bomb rather than a weekly schedule. It's nice to have time to digest episodes and be able to look forward to a new one next week, so constantly rushing through 5 episodes in 5 days (usually followed by hiatus) isn't ideal.

It made sense for the Sardonyx one since that was a pretty clearly defined character arc, but the second one was clearly "gently caress uh, just put some episodes together whatever". The episode descriptions make it seem like this is the same thing this time too. Why not wait until we hit the mid-season/season finale before doing that?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

OldTennisCourt posted:

It made sense for the Sardonyx one since that was a pretty clearly defined character arc, but the second one was clearly "gently caress uh, just put some episodes together whatever". The episode descriptions make it seem like this is the same thing this time too. Why not wait until we hit the mid-season/season finale before doing that?

I thought the focus for this bomb was Stephens birthday, or is it just the first two episodes?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

TheHeadSage posted:

I thought the focus for this bomb was Stephens birthday, or is it just the first two episodes?

I just re-checked the episode descriptions and only the first two have to do with his birthday from the current information shown.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

I just re-checked the episode descriptions and only the first two have to do with his birthday from the current information shown.

A new promo was just released, but I'm not sure if I should link it here due to possibility of too much derail. Someone's going to need to start up a new thread soon unless we're all decided to put SU in the bin with the small horse show.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Flying-PCP posted:

A new promo was just released, but I'm not sure if I should link it here due to possibility of too much derail. Someone's going to need to start up a new thread soon unless we're all decided to put SU in the bin with the small horse show.

I feel like even though most of the thread's issues were one dude whose been banned and a few other guys, a new thread would just get swamped and trolled to gently caress immediately at this point.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If you feel the need for another SU thread, just go Tumblr and you've basically got the thread back.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If you want to know what a new SU thread would be like now that GBS has its eye on it, just type the words "triggered" "tumblr" and "gay space rocks" over and over until it stops being funny. And then keep doing it for two more years.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If you feel the need for another SU thread, just go Tumblr and you've basically got the thread back.

Eh, not really, there's a vast space between Tumblr's SU discussion and GBS's (which is mostly making fun of what Tumblr likes about it). The thread here was happily in that space except for a few bumps and its final wracking death spasms, which were the same death spiral of each repetition of the same discussion getting worse and worse that you see with a lot of shows while they're on hiatus. Is there actually a mod ruling against a new SU thread for the post-hiatus, or just general commentariat nervousness about it turning into a shitshow?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It will almost certainly turn into a poo poo show and it'll get gassed within like 3 pages. Just keep the discussion here, it makes the most sense and it has the bonus of avoiding the threads major problem of getting way too big and just devolving into stupid rear end fights constantly over why fanart is bad and blah blah blah. This thread at least discusses other shows too.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Test Pattern posted:

Eh, not really, there's a vast space between Tumblr's SU discussion and GBS's (which is mostly making fun of what Tumblr likes about it). The thread here was happily in that space except for a few bumps and its final wracking death spasms, which were the same death spiral of each repetition of the same discussion getting worse and worse that you see with a lot of shows while they're on hiatus. Is there actually a mod ruling against a new SU thread for the post-hiatus, or just general commentariat nervousness about it turning into a shitshow?

I've not seen any explicit mod rulings. I feel like it'd at least be worth having it while the bomb is airing since I'm SURE there will be poo poo people want to talk about a lot and it seems like it would cause this thread to derail extremely hard into all SU chat for a week.

If it needs to be closed immediately after the bomb because people are big angry babies then so be it I guess, but I think there's worth in having another one at least for awhile.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

This thread will get destroyed by discussion of gay space crystals if you don't make a new thread or outright ban discussion (don't do this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Comedy option: Make BotL a TV IV mod and use some kind of elaborate blackmail scheme to force them to keep the SU thread clean

Seriously though, I have no argument against your point. The level of 'discourse' is pretty much the same anywhere you go.