Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

skooma512 posted:

Steam is now cycling through random accounts when you try to log into the store. Nobody has turned the server off yet and it's been an hour. People can see PII and everything.

:frogsiren: THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION :frogsiren:

Pour one out for the homies on call at Valve.

Its ok, the Chinese have all my info thanks to the OPM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

go3 posted:

Its ok, the Chinese have all my info thanks to the OPM

Same here!

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Looks like they fixed a configuration error that was causing caching issues.
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/458604254431478327

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Of course the one year I get a 20-buck Steam card for Christmas is the one where the Store fucks up :v:

Looks like they couldn't really access any bad information, anyway; not a whole hell of a lot you can do with the last four digits of someones' card and their purchase history. You could look at it, apparently, but being an rear end and attempting to use it prompted a "This is not your account" from the system.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Of course the one year I get a 20-buck Steam card for Christmas is the one where the Store fucks up :v:

Looks like they couldn't really access any bad information, anyway; not a whole hell of a lot you can do with the last four digits of someones' card and their purchase history. You could look at it, apparently, but being an rear end and attempting to use it prompted a "This is not your account" from the system.
The last four digits of your credit card can almost certainly be used as a verification method against a service you're currently using right now.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Such as? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm truly curious. Every verification method I've seen wants the three digits on the back, not the last four on the front.

To be fair, I'm a security guard, so it's not like I've seen very many...

Edit: looks like Steam only shows the last two digits of your card number, anyway. Though whether that's how it was before the problem happened, I can't say.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 26, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Look, I don't want the world knowing whether or not I own Hunie Pop.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Such as? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm truly curious. Every verification method I've seen wants the three digits on the back, not the last four on the front.

Edit: looks like Steam only shows the last two digits of your card number, anyway. Though whether that's how it was before the problem happened, I can't say.

According to this article Apple used to use billing address and the last 4 digits to reset iCloud accounts.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fil5000 posted:

That's none of your concern.

:drat:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

flosofl posted:

Bad song. No Buffalos a-failing

Days 6, 9, and 10 have that covered. Did you forget that CE only bought Buffalo products? :v:

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Woman just called in and stated that her label printer was not working. Further prodding I got her to explain that, "it is printing a fade." Further sighing lead to her saying, "it starts right, then gets lighter." Over the next fifteen minutes I had been attempting to get her to reset the printer and instead of doing what I ask, she simply tells me that the buttons don't do anything when the power is turned off. Over and over even after telling her to do it and see what happens, she did it and then IMMEDIATELY said, "nothing happened. You know what? Just send someone out here to deal with it, I don't feel like trying to explain these buttons to you." I feel sorry for the poor chap who has to go deal with that AT FOUR THIRTY IN THE MORNING.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

Ironsolid posted:

Zebra stuff

Please tell me you get to charge her handsomely for the tech call out?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ironsolid posted:

Woman just called in and stated that her label printer was not working. Further prodding I got her to explain that, "it is printing a fade." Further sighing lead to her saying, "it starts right, then gets lighter." Over the next fifteen minutes I had been attempting to get her to reset the printer and instead of doing what I ask, she simply tells me that the buttons don't do anything when the power is turned off. Over and over even after telling her to do it and see what happens, she did it and then IMMEDIATELY said, "nothing happened. You know what? Just send someone out here to deal with it, I don't feel like trying to explain these buttons to you." I feel sorry for the poor chap who has to go deal with that AT FOUR THIRTY IN THE MORNING.

I woke up and vomited at 4:30 this morning. Thought it was from the alcohol and weird foods, but now realize it was transcontinental goon sympathy pain.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Malachite_Dragon posted:

There have been two fairly famous attacks that were carried out with the last four digits of a CC number, one being the attack against Matt Honan, the other the extortion for the @N handle on twitter (Was actually last 6 digits, but were permitted to guess missing digits).

I didn't get to see exactly what was visible, but phone number, email address, and physical address are also required as part of the account recovery process for many services.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Ironsolid posted:

I hate non-emergency situations like this with a burning passion. I still remember getting a call at 5am on a Saturday for a bad monitor, at an old help desk job when I was on call. Person had dual screens and the right screen kept blanking out or changing between shades of green and pink. I walked through having them check the VGA cable to the monitor and PC both, they said they already checked and everything was connected.

I get to the office, grab a cart, a spare VGA cable and a spare monitor, head to the person's office. Cables connected to monitors were tight, no problem there. Cable from the right monitor to the tower was loose, I plugged it in all the way, tightened it, and wouldn't you know...it magically works again. Never have I wanted to choke a bitch with a VGA cable so badly before, not just for wasting my time but for lying about what they even looked at.

Same job had a lady that refused to ever reboot her PC because she didn't want to re-open all her programs and files. Because of all the various patches and updates that had been released without reboot, it was causing her PC to freak out and apps to crash randomly. My boss argued with her about it for a couple hours, even offered to save her work, take a screenshot of the programs she had open, and get her password so he could reboot and log in as her when he was done. She flipped out and refused, but apparently forgot she put her password on a sticky note under her mouse pad. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Ozz81 posted:

Same job had a lady that refused to ever reboot her PC because she didn't want to re-open all her programs and files. Because of all the various patches and updates that had been released without reboot, it was causing her PC to freak out and apps to crash randomly. My boss argued with her about it for a couple hours, even offered to save her work, take a screenshot of the programs she had open, and get her password so he could reboot and log in as her when he was done. She flipped out and refused, but apparently forgot she put her password on a sticky note under her mouse pad. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Oops, sorry, power outage happened so the PC rebooted.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

People are loving cowards. It's policy to shut your PC down every night here and if you don't it's not our problem if you lose your work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GreenNight posted:

People are loving cowards. It's policy to shut your PC down every night here and if you don't it's not our problem if you lose your work.

Hell, isn't there a GPO that will force it?

We don't have enforced overnight rebooting, but the patching tool that's used where I work pops up a "do you want to reboot now, or do you want us to do it for you in 8 hours?" dialog.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ironsolid posted:

The worst part is the condescending tone. "I dont feel like" and such.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I wonder what kind of relationship you guys have with your users, because when I was still on helldesk poo poo like that would not fly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MSPs probably, where you're so starved for business you can't risk upsetting a single user no matter how moronic they are.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'd be in their office first thing next day telling their manager/boss/whatever that were not supporting that person any longer

And yeah, force reboots and when they say MY WORK WASNT SAVED you take that to their manager too and highlight how this idiot isn't capable of even small productivity tasks

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 27, 2015

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
We force a reboot once a week. Every week this obnoxious email marked high importance with a bunch of red text goes out and tells people to save and close all their work before leaving for the day and if they don't it's on them

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
At my old job I wrote a KIX-script/GPO that would forcefully log off and turn off machines if they had been idle for two hours after 11pm, and their CPU utilization was lower than 50% (journalist desktops runs Cinema 4D render engines in the background, and some times the graphics guys runs renders overnight)

An SMS came in. My boss had deleted his entire 2015 mail archive folder and swore he couldn't find it in outlooks "restore from deleted" (or whatever) menu. It was in a folder in a folder in that menu. I told him I'd be charging 40 hours PTO for supporting stupid user errors during the holidays, and he told me to make it 50 if that would keep me off his back.
I'm not going to charge anything, I'd rather bring it up in every internal meeting the next six months. :haw:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, the lady in question IIRC was related in some way to the VP of the company and had a bad habit of making poo poo up and lodging complaints to get her way. I'll never understand that level of laziness and stupidity from people, just boggles my mind that someone freaks out over having to spend all of maybe 5-10 minutes opening their programs again. Oh well, not there any more and not my problem :shrug:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

"I can't close Outlook because all the messages I need to respond to are open (going back more than a month). How will I know what I need to do if you restart my computer?"

Maybe have a work flow or task list that doesn't disappear if your computer crashes?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

go3 posted:

And yeah, force reboots and when they say MY WORK WASNT SAVED you take that to their manager too and highlight how this idiot isn't capable of even small productivity tasks

When I was with an MSP, we had several ridiculous "NEVER CLOSE ANYTHING EVER" people. All of them were the CEO/owner of the company we were supporting.

You haven't lived until a CEO has yelled at you about not importing their Chrome history because "That's how my workflow works!" Actually, that company is the type of thing that will probably go public sooner rather than later, so that'll be a fun little tidbit for when people know who the hell they are.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 28, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

When I was with an MSP, we had several ridiculous "NEVER CLOSE ANYTHING EVER" people. All of them were the CEO/owner of the company we were supporting.

You haven't lived until a CEO has yelled at you about not importing their Chrome history because "That's how my workflow works!" Actually, that company is the type of thing that will probably go public sooner rather than later, so that'll be a fun little tidbit for when people know who the hell they are.

Do all the MSPs you guys work for not have Statements of Work and signed contracts with the customers that detail what exactly you deliver and what the SLAs are? Because every one I've worked with has had everything defined as to what the SLAs are for each severity level, what a sev 1 event is, and what is covered when the contract is signed.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Your system uptime is directly related to your salary.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A ticket came in ...

My laptop was really slow booting, so I turned it off by pressing the power button. Now it's showing some weird thingie that says it's repairing the system. What should I do?

:negative:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lodewijk posted:

My laptop was really slow booting, so I turned it off by pressing the power button. Now it's showing some weird thingie that says it's repairing the system. What should I do?

:negative:

"User made his/her bed. User will now lay in said bed." [close ticket]

A ticket came in:

"We need a better time clock system."

It's true though. I just absorbed this department of ~30 people. Their current solution is an awful XP desktop application that attaches to two USB HID card readers. Each hourly employee has a HID card they tap on one to clock in and tap on another reader to clock out.

Problem: there's now three sites these hourly employees may go to on any given day. Any of you got a good time clock solution that can handle multiple sites? Smartphone administration would be a massive plus.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Anyone know anything about distance learning classrooms? My first task at my new job is to deploy a bunch of them in poor districts in the state with a $500k budget.

My last experience with them was in 2002 :sweatdrop:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in:

My phone is not working. My computer is not working.

All different people. turns out five switches had multiple ports fail over the weekend???

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I have no phone and I must scream

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I have no backup and I must buffalo

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

larchesdanrew posted:

Anyone know anything about distance learning classrooms? My first task at my new job is to deploy a bunch of them in poor districts in the state with a $500k budget.

University or k12?

edit: stupid question, "districts." I've used Coursera before. Poke around. Are you looking for "sit through an automated training thing" or "interact with a professor 50 miles away" thing? From context I'm guessing #2.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

In my world (new york state public k-12 in a poor rear end district) , this is something my department would put out to bid, and let the salespeople come in and jerk you off / show you their wares. We have a handful of Polycom units and support through the horrid middle-man everyone gets their poo poo through.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

University or k12?

edit: stupid question, "districts." I've used Coursera before. Poke around. Are you looking for "sit through an automated training thing" or "interact with a professor 50 miles away" thing? From context I'm guessing #2.

I'm honestly not sure on the specifics just yet. I don't start until next week and this was just something the president mentioned on the phone when I accepted the job. I figured I'd get a head start and do some research so I'd have at least some idea of what I'm going into. I'd assume it would be my school leading classes across the state. When I was in high school, it was basically a webcam and then a poo poo ton of mics at each desk, but I have no clue what the current state of distance learning is.

Nerdrock posted:

In my world (new york state public k-12 in a poor rear end district) , this is something my department would put out to bid, and let the salespeople come in and jerk you off / show you their wares. We have a handful of Polycom units and support through the horrid middle-man everyone gets their poo poo through.

This is likely how it will go. Just have to figure out who in the area does this poo poo.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A biller called in. They are unable to locate a printer in the billing office. An office that is maybe 500sq feet. She has worked there for over a year.

I have tons of PTO why the hell am I working this week?

Also Potato Salad, I love your avatar. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Edit to cut down in length: nothing like busting your butt to get something delivered from a vendor on Dec 24, then have the person making the request still complain to your manager.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 28, 2015

• Locked thread