Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Just saw it tonight. I liked it. Never felt like it was dragging on or moving too fast or anything like that.

I think my only problem with it is how many coincidences needed to happen in order for the plot to work.

-Rey finding BB-8
-Finn crashlanding near that settlement, and not in the middle of nowhere in a literal desert planet.
-The ship they steal just happens to be the Millennium Falcon
-The Cantina just happens to have Luke's light saber in it's basement.
-Them happening to come across Rey in that super structure they needed to blow up. Wouldn't she be held in the command center or main base?
-R2D2 waking up at a convenient time

That's just off the top of my head

There is no such thing as luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

FrancoFish posted:

Just saw it. I have some small gripes but overall I want to see more. They did a good job of making me care about the characters enough to want to see what happens to them, so good job. My biggest issue is Kylo Ren. He doesn't seem threatening at ALL. He only killed people who were helpless, was really inconsistent with how powerful he was in the Force (he can slam Rey into a tree dozens of feet away but can't bring the lightsaber to him seconds later?), and, as a trained lightsaber user with what is presumably his own custom built saber, was beaten by someone who had never even held one before. He seems more like an angry child than a dangerous villain and I really hope they do something about that.

I find it amazing how many people can watch this movie and come away with these thoughts. Like, you think Kylo Ren coming off as more "angry child" than "dangerous villain" is a mistake that the filmmakers just need to fix in the next movie? Really? How can you be that bad at watching movies.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!
I think I'd seen this on here awhile ago but can't find it again. A friend was asking why did Luke ever make that map if he wanted to remain secluded...
We came to the conclusion that the map is not actually the map to Luke Skywalker but a map to the first jedi temple the empire had discovered.
Han mentions having heard rumors of Luke looking for it, I assume the resistance/Leia had the same info. Wich would be why its known as the map to Luke.
Kinda makes sense that the last piece could be found on Jakku in a super destroyer.
How its the exact piece that was missing from R2-D2 and how Rey fits into all this, we couldn't come up with anything.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
R2D2 had a force spell cast on him so he would wake up when The Force Awakened.

Pictured: Luke putting the map in R2 with the force.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 26, 2015

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

iSheep posted:

Luke so happened to find some droids that belonged to his father one of which had a hologram of his sister asking for help of a guy that he happened to be saved by after he got knocked the gently caress out by some sand people.

Coincidences are not new to Star Wars.

Droids that went into separate directions and ended up on the same jawa crawler... it keeps going..

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Whenever you see something that doesn't make sense to you, <s>a wizard,/s> The Force did it.

I had a thought after watching this, considering the movies marketed towards today's teens: one young female lead, one young good guy lead, one young bad guy lead -

Who will be on Team Finn, and who will be on Team Kylo?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So I am assuming Phasma died? That's a weirdly offscreen death.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

beejay posted:

I find it amazing how many people can watch this movie and come away with these thoughts. Like, you think Kylo Ren coming off as more "angry child" than "dangerous villain" is a mistake that the filmmakers just need to fix in the next movie? Really? How can you be that bad at watching movies.

This.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Pick posted:

Yeah, just like all the crew from the first movie got crushed to death in a trash compactor, right?

I can't imagine how a Stormtrooper captain with a radio literally built into her helmet will call for help and get a maintenance crew to shut off the power to the trash compactor or anything.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Amethyst posted:

*Vulcan mild meld* "Remember..."

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

Amethyst posted:

No we don't, idiot.

smell a tree

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Away all Goats posted:

I think my only problem with it is how many coincidences needed to happen in order for the plot to work.
Narrative convenience in a blockbuster film? :monocle: Why I never!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Amethyst posted:

Is there an explanation for why Luke now has a robo-hand instead of a fleshy cyber-hand?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

beejay posted:

Never said I thought it was a mistake the film makers made, I said I personally didn't feel like he was a threat. What I want them to "do something about" is keep going with his issues, and develop his problems into real danger for the cast. As it stands currently, he didn't seem like someone who was very dangerous without help, such as troops to help him raid a village and capture his prisoners. But as unhinged as he is, he could make an awesome, terrifying antagonist for them to overcome, and I hope they do that in the next film, because he has a lot of potential to be super rad. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings you big loving baby.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 26, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Here's some real poo poo: that storm trooper who wiped his bloody hand on finn's mask, jump starting his panic? Was shot by Poe. Who could, and would, have just as easily shot Finn.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

rear end Catchcum posted:

Here's some real poo poo: that storm trooper who wiped his bloody hand on finn's mask, jump starting his panic? Was shot by Poe. Who could, and would, have just as easily shot Finn.

Poe will truck no rivals in his bromance with Finn.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pick posted:

Nah, she's confirmed to appear with a bigger role in Episode 8.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

All I could think of in the scene where Kylo kills Han is this post about "eclipse" imagery which seemed to be mirrored rather exactly with a giant machine that blots out the sun so thanks Star Wars thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514675&userid=209402&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post452082674

quote:

Lucas supplements all this with literal eclipse imagery:

The still-partially eclipsed sun shines bright for a moment as Obi-Wan offers Anakin one last chance to repent. Then its light is once again blotted out as Anakin rejects Obi-Wan's offer and Obi-Wan ignites his saber for battle.

At the orgiastic high-point of the titanic violence consuming both man and planet, we're presented with a glimpse of the eclipsed sun with its rays of light still struggling to break through

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

rear end Catchcum posted:

cool details. glad you were here pal.

not being godawful sarcastic. nice wee touch.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

All I could think of in the scene where Kylo kills Han is this post about "eclipse" imagery which seemed to be mirrored rather exactly with a giant machine that blots out the sun so thanks Star Wars thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514675&userid=209402&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post452082674

Why are you importing the dreadful memories of those abhorrent prequels into this thread? Shameful.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cnut's posts are very good and should be read by anyone interested in Star Wars, regardless of your personal feelings about the film he's discussing.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I'm a few pages late on this but i unironically think most people who have a tough time wrapping their mind around the Force would be better served reading the Buddhism thread in A/T. Also this made me laugh so hard

Chucat posted:

"EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP ON JAKKU AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DVD INTO THE SLOT. ITS ATTACK OF THE CLONES AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING ALL THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, OBI-WAN"

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
The robot (?) and the creature with the peg leg are walking arm and arm when Finn is leaving with them to go to the outer rim. Couple? Or just being mindful of the peg leg and stairs? Really makes you think.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FrancoFish posted:

What I want them to "do something about" is keep going with his issues, and develop his problems into real danger for the cast. As it stands currently, he didn't seem like someone who was very dangerous without help, such as troops to help him raid a village and capture his prisoners. But as unhinged as he is, he could make an awesome, terrifying antagonist for them to overcome, and I hope they do that in the next film, because he has a lot of potential to be super rad. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings you big loving baby.

I can't believe I'm jumping into this argument again, but why? Why should Ren be a major impediment to the goals of the protagonists? Snoke, Hux and the entire First Order are aligned against them with an immense military force, and they blew up a bunch of populated worlds while the Resistance stood around unable to do jack poo poo.

There's more than enough conflict to move the plot forward. Why is it important that Ren drive it? He's a hosed up kid who idolizes his evil grampa and does bad things badly. Why does he need to be Vader to be awesome?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I can't believe I'm jumping into this argument again, but why? Why should Ren be a major impediment to the goals of the protagonists? Snoke, Hux and the entire First Order are aligned against them with an immense military force, and they blew up a bunch of populated worlds while the Resistance stood around unable to do jack poo poo.

There's more than enough conflict to move the plot forward. Why is it important that Ren drive it? He's a hosed up kid who idolizes his evil grampa and does bad things badly. Why does he need to be Vader to be awesome?

Put words in my mouth more please. I'd like more out of him, that's all. It isn't a big deal, it's just how I feel about it. Snoke and Hux aren't nearly as rad as Kylo, and I want to see Kylo do more rad poo poo. I don't want another Vader, that's tired. But I also don't want to see the character end up not being what he could. Quit getting so loving worked up over it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I finally saw the movie, it was pretty good so here's some lovely opinions. I think Kylo could be cool. I'd like to see him go completely off the deep end. Maybe screw over the entire First Order some how, kill his master in true sith fashion and just become a giant rear end in a top hat instead of a whiny baby. Him being like sort of crazy in that last fight was pretty neat and I liked him like that, no so much in the rest of the movie. I also don't like Rey. I tried explaining why to one of the people I saw the movie with and they immediately headed it off with "It's just because she's a woman, and not luke, right!?" but that's not it at all. It's because she just instinctively knows how every machine works, which is fine she's a scavenger or whatever, but she can also pilot the millennium falcon, she becomes a pretty crack shot after one or two missed shots and in literally ten minutes gets a better grasp on the force than Luke did during however long he had with Yoda, and then wins her first light saber duel against a guy who had presumably been trained to fight with laser swords. I dunno, I just couldn't get into her character at all because it felt like fanfiction bullshit, I was more interested in Finn actually and kept hoping he would get the limelight because he seemed like a bit of a screwup who after like half a movie of largely doing things for selfish reasons finally tried to do the right thing. Then he gets sliced up by a laser sword.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
I'm still rather salty about the FYAD forum title (a forum I don't even read, but you see it in the dropdown) being what it was for as long as it was, because I put as much active effort as I could into avoiding all the trailers, gossip sites, and Star Wars threads for the last few years combined with substantial keyword mute filters on social media, all so that I could've gone into this one completely cold. But I guess they got me on the big climax, and feeling :smith: as a result makes me the nerd loser because I care about some fictional story or whatever. Still, at least I didn't know anything else about the rest of it. Even though I heard the name "Kylo Ren" prior to seeing the movie, I actually thought that would be the name of the hero. Anyway, speaking of him:

FrancoFish posted:

Never said I thought it was a mistake the film makers made, I said I personally didn't feel like he was a threat. What I want them to "do something about" is keep going with his issues, and develop his problems into real danger for the cast. As it stands currently, he didn't seem like someone who was very dangerous without help, such as troops to help him raid a village and capture his prisoners. But as unhinged as he is, he could make an awesome, terrifying antagonist for them to overcome, and I hope they do that in the next film, because he has a lot of potential to be super rad.

The problem with presenting Kylo Ren as a powerful, malevolent badass with iron conviction in his ethos is that in 2015, those are no longer the traits of a villain. You put a character like that out there, and the viewing audience will start to root for them. Look at how many people nowadays think of Darth Vader not as an "awesome, terrifying antagonist" so much as just "awesome" because "he takes no poo poo from anybody and gets things done." People like that are our heroes now, rather than someone whose presence is despised.

The qualities of what makes for a bona fide villain have shifted since the 70s-80s, and you really don't see too many of them in blockbuster films nowadays. So even if so much of The Force Awakens is mirroring A New Hope, the dynamics of what makes for a proper antagonist need recalibrating to 2015 standards. Now, to get an audience to dislike you, you can't just be rugged and tough but on the side of "the bad guys." No, you have to exhibit traits people DON'T aspire to. You have to be a bully with shows of cowardice and insecurity just below the surface; someone who whines and throws tantrums when things don't go their way, who resorts to cheating to win even if they're skilled. They should also not be conventionally attractive, but that's not a practice most would adopt.

And it's largely worked! Kylo Ren should not be "cool." He is a goddamned fantastic modern villain precisely because people don't walk out of the film thinking "wow, what a badass!" They think "what a poser!" or "what a whiny, emo, brat!" All the memes and "parody" social media accounts to this end aren't in fact some clever takedown: the root of what drives their creation is that he elicits the desired reaction of a villain. And not just any villain: the kind you want to see get his rear end kicked because his victories and accomplishments aren't earned. The concept of "heat" may not be permitted to exist in nonfiction due to modern audience sensibilities, but as far as being a :bahgawd: approved "heel" Kylo Ren is it. The inevitable mountains of slashfiction and fanart aren't using Kylo Ren, "tortured handsome bad boy" as their subject. The majority is Poe and Finn, because most fans don't "like" Kylo Ren the way they like lovable handsome devils like say, Loki from the Marvel movies.

I feel like it was absolutely part of the plan to make Adam Driver bear a passing resemblance to Hayden Christensen from the prequels, because on some level it triggers in us the desired reaction of "oh come on, look at this pushover!" In a sense, the prequels almost had something by portraying Anakin with all the traits of the "modern heel" as I noted above. A problem was that audiences were somehow intended to LIKE him prior to turning to the Dark Side, a feat which was only accomplished by way of The Clone Wars animated TV series in which the character was changed entirely.

It's going to be interesting to see how they save Ben Solo in subsequent installments, if in fact they do. Still, that would be too soon if it happened in the next Episode. Then again, a lot of things seem to happen "too soon," like Finn just knowing how to use that lightsaber: the Star Wars equivalent of nunchuks as far as "one wrong move and you've seriously hurt yourself" weaponry. Perhaps a "double turn" is in order, whereby Rey cuts him down in a "THAT'S FOR HAN" sort of moment, as a catalyst for her to fall to the Dark Side.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 26, 2015

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Darth Maul is still the most badass looking villain in Star Wars.

Vader had the best personality.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FrancoFish posted:

Put words in my mouth more please. I'd like more out of him, that's all. It isn't a big deal, it's just how I feel about it. Snoke and Hux aren't nearly as rad as Kylo, and I want to see Kylo do more rad poo poo. I don't want another Vader, that's tired. But I also don't want to see the character end up not being what he could. Quit getting so loving worked up over it.

Sorry, some poo poo went down in the other thread. I'm certainly excited to see what he evolves into in the next one.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

^^^^
That's pretty literally all I said.

I don't know why everyone thinks I want him to be the next Vader, I already said I didn't. All I said was that I hope they do more with him, rather than making him the token lightsaber black armor guy. He has potential to be scary on a level past "look how badass this guy is", since he is obviously unhinged and pretty hosed up in the head. You people are arguing against nothing? If you think he's perfect just the way he that's great. I'd like to see him grow as a character over the movies rather than following the standard blockbuster trend of villains.

loving goons, I swear to god.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^ There was a very long derail about whether Kylo Ren was a "threatening" villain that got pretty heated and exhausting.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FrancoFish posted:

^^^^
That's pretty literally all I said.

I don't know why everyone thinks I want him to be the next Vader, I already said I didn't. All I said was that I hope they do more with him, rather than making him the token lightsaber black armor guy. He has potential to be scary on a level past "look how badass this guy is", since he is obviously unhinged and pretty hosed up in the head. You people are arguing against nothing? If you think he's perfect just the way he that's great. I'd like to see him grow as a character over the movies rather than following the standard blockbuster trend of villains.

loving goons, I swear to god.

The fact that he basically is just a manchild throwing a gigantic tantrum half the time is kind of what I find most entertaining and threatening about him. Children can be terrifying, people with no real emotional control or gauge are too. Dude is nuts and I loved when he just started to slice the poo poo out of those computers. His complete willingness to just rip information out of people too is really hosed up especially when he's just like "I can take whatever I want!" I think the problem might be that some people have trouble equating someone threatening to a child immediately flicks all those "calling him a dumb baby" switches. Dude could be great, turning him into a stone-cold vader archetype would be boring.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Dude could be great, turning him into a stone-cold vader archetype would be boring.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Well, we're at least going to see Supreme Leader Snoke train Kylo Ren in the sequel.

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

Immortan posted:

Darth Maul is still the most badass looking villain in Star Wars.

Vader had the best personality.

not anymore

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

real_slime posted:

not anymore

Oh.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Just saw it tonight. I liked it. Never felt like it was dragging on or moving too fast or anything like that.

-Rey finding BB-8
-Finn crashlanding near that settlement, and not in the middle of nowhere in a literal desert planet.
-The ship they steal just happens to be the Millennium Falcon
-The Cantina just happens to have Luke's light saber in it's basement.
-Them happening to come across Rey in that super structure they needed to blow up. Wouldn't she be held in the command center or main base?
-R2D2 waking up at a convenient time

That's just off the top of my head

Those all happened because of the Force, man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Coincidence-wise it actually isn't that implausible either.

BB-8 was heading towards the nearest settlement that hadn't just been First Order'd. Rey lives near that settlement.
Finn was being piloted by Poe who wanted to get to that settlement and so even crashing they ended up as close as reasonably possible to that settlement.
They didn't run across Rey in the thermal regulator structure. They went into the command station first. They had to go in there to disable the shields and also to find Rey. Remember they go in, find Rey, and leave. They're preparing to head off and then Han is like "we have to go and help them and my friend has a bag full of bombs" so they go into the thermal regulator instead. Han even takes off his jacket twice.

Basically the big coincidence was the Falcon (which is pure coincidence) and Maz having the saber (which is easily justified with The Force Willed It.)

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

lizardman posted:

^ There was a very long derail about whether Kylo Ren was a "threatening" villain that got pretty heated and exhausting.

I kinda agreed with both sides, in that Ren was both a flawed wannabe vader on purpose, and that he was never very threatening. I think it was a mistake to have his first encounter with one of the plot important characters, much as I love the line and delivery, be handled so flippantly. When Vader boards the rebel ship at the start of ANH, everyone is scared and desperate, fighting etc. Ren gets established as a joke from the get by Poe. They could have rectified this by showing his tantrums having a larger physical impact. Some poo poo being force crushed around him during the saber tantrum, some hapless villager challenging him, anything to drive home a bigger threat. Instead, he's established as a chump a few minutes in, and isn't a threatening dark side presence until later on, and only against solitary, nonsuperpower opponents until the end. He's still a powerful force compared to a regular unarmed human and crazy and a killer and blah blah blah, but he's not supposed to be as some have said, a school shooter archetype, he's supposed to represent the type of threat that can't be stopped by conventional military means, a guy who as a trainee killed a bunch of other trainees and got away with it from luke fuckin skywalker, the guy who redeemed the last guy to kill baby jedi in a jedi temple. The guy shown in the movie would have lightsabered himself in the jedi library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OxMan posted:

I kinda agreed with both sides, in that Ren was both a flawed wannabe vader on purpose, and that he was never very threatening. I think it was a mistake to have his first encounter with one of the plot important characters, much as I love the line and delivery, be handled so flippantly.

Like I'm really confused by what you're arguing here. Our first encounter with Kylo Ren is him capturing and murdering an old man, stopping a plasma bolt in mid air and then torturing information out of a protagonist. He is absolutely not portrayed as a joke and if you're claiming that a protagonist snarking off to him establishes him as one then I'll just point out Leia did the exact same thing to Vader.

OxMan posted:

, he's supposed to represent the type of threat that can't be stopped by conventional military means,

That would be shocking considering that has never been something established about any other character before.

Darth Vader is not an unstoppable threat who can't be stopped by conventional military means. He is taken down by a regular non-Jedi pilot in ANH and never actually has a non-solo battle for the rest of the franchise. Luke is presented as a very capable fighter but not one who can't be defeated. If you go to the prequels things get a little murkier and Jedi are shown to cleave through droids like butter but even so a bunch of them end up dying at the end of AotC and Order 66 shows they're certainly very vulnerable to surprise attacks or being overwhelmed. Jedi are capable of killing multiple opponents and probably need a concentrate effort to put down permanently. So is an elderly Han Solo.

The EU has given people a weirdly bloated idea of Jedi and Sith. Within the context of the films even the biggest badasses in Forcetown are not one-man armies. Darth Vader is a powerful intimidating presence but he isn't singlehandedly winning wars. Even in the prequels where the Jedi have a fighter kill count they're taking out a handful of droids with surprise attacks at the most.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 26, 2015

• Locked thread