Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Well experience potions work on destinies since they get the same amount of experience as your main experience bar does. Combine that with the daily first completion bonus and they're not that bad to level really. It's just frustrating when you want/need to level one of the really bad ones, or something that literally does nothing for your build (Dreadnaught as a wizard hooray).

In theory UMD tomes can drop in game, tomes are a hell of a lot more rare than they used to be and there's so many skill tomes that seeing a UMD tome would be difficult. I can't find concrete information if UMD is explicitly excluded, but I doubt it. It's probably just the rarest of all skill tome drops.

Iconic TRing:
  • You don't have to do the dumb sewer quests you've done a million times
  • Almost all of the really good low level quests (House P!) have higher level versions that you can do while leveling
  • You get to take advantage of all the good raid gear, including epic/legendary ones
  • You get to play with those destinies you leveled, using all the cool destiny abilities which makes builds more fun
  • 99% of the post-MotU quests are pretty awesome, so you get to play the better quests in the game
  • You get two past lives (iconic + regular) every run, there's 12 iconic past lives total (3x each of the 4), there's 14 classes, so you can do it with very little overlap
  • 20-30 has no higher experience requirement for TRing, it's the same for everyone
  • Since you start 15, you can do level 13+ quests for bravery streak, you can easily hit 20 without repeating or even doing all of the available quests (you could even stop leveling at 14 and do 12s if you want for some reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006
Other cool thing about Iconic TRs is that other experienced people do them too so you don't have to solo from level 1-12 or so before ever finding a TR buddy. If you already have one it's fine but I don't and have to pug from 1 til cap, after level 12 or so people for whatever reason start grouping. Also in epics groups are easy to find.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Well experience potions work on destinies since they get the same amount of experience as your main experience bar does. Combine that with the daily first completion bonus and they're not that bad to level really. It's just frustrating when you want/need to level one of the really bad ones, or something that literally does nothing for your build (Dreadnaught as a wizard hooray).

In theory UMD tomes can drop in game, tomes are a hell of a lot more rare than they used to be and there's so many skill tomes that seeing a UMD tome would be difficult. I can't find concrete information if UMD is explicitly excluded, but I doubt it. It's probably just the rarest of all skill tome drops.

Iconic TRing:
  • You don't have to do the dumb sewer quests you've done a million times
  • Almost all of the really good low level quests (House P!) have higher level versions that you can do while leveling
  • You get to take advantage of all the good raid gear, including epic/legendary ones
  • You get to play with those destinies you leveled, using all the cool destiny abilities which makes builds more fun
  • 99% of the post-MotU quests are pretty awesome, so you get to play the better quests in the game
  • You get two past lives (iconic + regular) every run, there's 12 iconic past lives total (3x each of the 4), there's 14 classes, so you can do it with very little overlap
  • 20-30 has no higher experience requirement for TRing, it's the same for everyone
  • Since you start 15, you can do level 13+ quests for bravery streak, you can easily hit 20 without repeating or even doing all of the available quests (you could even stop leveling at 14 and do 12s if you want for some reason)

Honestly I think almost everything from MOTU on quest wise has been pretty garbage. Far fewer interesting puzzles, they balance difficulty with 'rooms full of monsters'.
Some of the old dungeons they reworked for epic content were good, but almost everything FR is trash. (Study in Sable I did enjoy)

You also get 2 past lives, TR and ETR doing 1-30 non-iconic. Iconic just skips the 1-15, but honestly this isn't a big deal.
The value of this comes down to if you need Epic past lives or not.

I did do a morning lord elf spending the +1 lesser tome to play a laser Favored soul and that was a lot of fun.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

(Dreadnaught as a wizard hooray).
This was exactly the point where I "took a break" after MotU. I think all I was using from Dreadnaught was extra action boosts. Xp pots and waiting on a lot of saga turnins sounds like a good idea.

DemonMage posted:

[*]You get two past lives (iconic + regular) every run, there's 12 iconic past lives total (3x each of the 4), there's 14 classes, so you can do it with very little overlap
Wait, wait, what!? I thought you only got an iconic life?! You get regular lives too? (On top of epic ones if you epic TR? or wait, no, since you can't tr out of iconics until 30?). I think this was the info that I was missing.

(I kind of like half the newbie sewer crawls, or maybe a quarter of them, but more so stuff like the Pit and Spies in the House. I like the older more puzzle oriented, multiple option type quests more as well. The necro quest with the rats? Yeah I'm one of the five people that like it, haha (well if I'm blade barrier enabled). The new FR stuff I've done (half of Shadowfell and no newer content than ToEE update wise however) is /ok/ but I was getting big LOTRO vibes from it ("nice scenery and decent writing but low puzzle or multiple ways to complete things.")

I'm a bit annoyed that I'm on Sarlona and not Argo but I have too many characters to easily move :(

Noricae fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 25, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If you do 15-30 as Iconic, and then use an Iconic heart you get your Iconic Past Life, and your Class Past Life and go back to 1/15 depending on your Iconic or not choice for the next life.
If you do 1-20 as a regular and then use a True Reincarnation heart you get your Class Past Life and go back to 1/15 depending.
If you do 1-30 as a regular and then use an Epic Heart you get an Epic life and go back to 20, which then you can regular TR too.

And there's been very few quests over the the lifetime of DDO that you could complete in multiple ways, especially meaningful. While I absolutely appreciate those, and do prefer non-linear, I can understand not wanting to put a lot of effort into something that'll be used a very small percentage of the time. Which is why it was infrequently used before too. The around-MotU and beyond quests have better writing, voice acting, visual design, layout, and monster placement. I don't think the puzzles in the newer quests are less frequent or less interesting than the old ones either. Study in Sable, Creeping Death, Multitude of Menace, The Archon's Trial, Terminal Delirium, Through a Mirror Darkly, The Lost Thread, are all quests with puzzle elements to some degree or another.

That's not to say I don't have problems with some of the newer quests, I don't think either of the Legendary Shroud flagging quests are super awesome (nor are they particularly bad) for example, but I just think overall they have a much better ability to design them.

One of the biggest problems with the necro quest with the rats, and the jumping puzzle quests, is the engine wasn't designed for it. You get really weird, inconsistent and frustrating behavior that fucks with what they were going for. If the rat thing wasn't so janky, and people with sub 100ms pings and great computers didn't warp while jumping, they'd likely be better received and in more frequently.

[Edit] I always liked the pressure plate puzzles, where you could use corpses or flesh to stone to do the triggers. But they understandably moved away from things that forced you to have multiple people (or good luck/timing/specific abilities to replicate it). I'm glad they've mostly gotten rid of stat requirements, but apparently Legendary Tempest Spine has some :bang:

Xorian Cipher is a good example of pressure plates and floor puzzles that's a lot of fun. It's also a great example of janky floor bubble tech and gently caress-you traps.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 25, 2015

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

is the engine wasn't designed for it.
Yes, definitely. If I'm forced to do a quest with jumping elements (Shroud flagging) it's terrible, but if it's an optional with rewards or big xp, I enjoy it even if it's wonky (Spies in the House). Then again I have played MMOs that had much, much worse client to server synching issues and the like, so my tolerance is high for this.

I do like much of the new content, especially for writing and voice acting for sure. Notable exception is Ensign Crusher narrating and reading from his diary :D

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I noticed an e-mail in my inbox today and it turned out to be from that DDO game I tried out like 10 years ago. I didn't know it was still going on! It was one of those games that I wanted to try to play but my computer wasn't good enough for it at the time... and I was only allowed to get to like level 6 or something before they required me to pay. So I dropped it and said I'll try again later or whatever.

Well, seeing that e-mail made me decide to give it a shot this weekend. Hopefully I'll be around for the next few days, grinding my way up or whatever. Hope my account still exists.

edit-- :thumbsup: wow I can't believe it's still there! I don't recognize a drat thing anymore. I was level 5 apparently. I think I'll start from scratch.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 27, 2015

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Oh yeah definitely start again. They've even changed the level 1 newbie island several times and it's /loads/ more fun than it was 10 years ago. A lot of the better content is paid after level 6/7 however, so if you're free keep that in mind (but there is a massive triple point sale going on and a sale on all adventure packs too, imo great time).

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Also the expansion packs are on massive sale which is some decent value cause you get tp with 'em and some adventure packs.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Is there any way to tell what tomes melee power, ranged power, PRR, MRR, tomes of fate, ranged power or spell power?

I know I've used a few of those but can't see it displayed anywhere, I know you can derive them all but with all the bugs in the game I'd rather not waste 7.5k rems on something I already have.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I imagine the power ones are in there too.

Woden
May 6, 2006
They do indeed, TYVM.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Help what do I play? Cleric edition!

This is primarily focused on nuking with evocation spells, with the new epic stuff should do pretty well for Epic Hard/Normal at least, and nuking clerics have been solid in Heroics. You don't need anything special besides Empower Healing (and sort of Quicken) to Heal, and you should have plenty of spell points and time to nuke.

I don't think focusing on insta kill spells is really worth it given the effort it takes to get spell penetration and DCs up for a first life cleric. But it's definitely an option, and the new Arcane Insight feat can help with those nasty epic mobs. Which speaking of, the shiny new epic feats make picking the best feats a lot harder, which is cool! I just wish the same could be said for heroic levels for everyone.

Also I'm not 100% sure if Intensify Spell can be used with the SLAs, if not that makes it way less worth considering.

pre:
Newbie Cleric
Cleric 20
True Neutral Human

Stats
               28pt     32pt     Level Up
               ----     ----     --------
Strength         8        8       4: WIS
Dexterity        8        8       8: WIS
Constitution    14       14      12: WIS
Intelligence    10       12      16: WIS
Wisdom          18       18      20: WIS
Charisma        12       14      24: WIS
                                 28: WIS

Skills (Heal if 32 point)
          1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
         ------------------------------------------------------------
Concent   4  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  23
Spellcr   4  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  23
UMD       2  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  ½  11½
         ------------------------------------------------------------
         12  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3  3

Feats

1        : Maximize Spell
 1 Human  : Empower Spell
 1 Deity  : Follower of: Sovereign Host
 3        : Empower Healing Spell
 6        : Quicken Spell
 6 Deity  : Unyielding Sovereignty
 9        : Mental Toughness
12        : Improved Mental Toughness
15        : Heighten Spell
18        : Spell Focus: Evocation
21 Epic   : Wellspring of Power
24 Epic   : Master of: Light OR Burst of Glacial Wrath OR Intensify Spell
26 Destiny: Epic Spell Power: Light
27 Epic   : Ruin OR Level 24 feats
28 Destiny: Elusive Target OR Epic Spell Power: Positive
29 Destiny: Arcane Pulse OR Deific Warding OR Dreamscape
30 Epic   : Greater Ruin OR Level 24 feats
30 Legend : Scion of: Celestia

Spells

1. Cure Light Wounds, Nightshield, Remove Fear, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Summon Monster I, Divine Favor
  2. Cure Moderate Wounds, Resist Energy, Soundburst, Remove Paralysis, <Any>, <Any>
  3. Cure Serious Wounds, Magic Circle Against Evil, Searing Light, Remove Curse, Prayer, Protection from Energy
  4. Cure Critical Wounds, Holy Smite, Freedom of Movement, Mass Shield of Faith, Recitation, Death Ward
  5. Mass Cure Light Wounds, Divine Punishment, Greater Command, Protection from Elements, Break Enchantment, Slay Living
  6. Mass Cure Moderate Wounds, Blade Barrier, Heal, Undeath to Death, Cometfall, Heroes' Feast
  7. Mass Cure Serious Wounds, Greater Restoration, Mass Spell Resistance, Resurrection, Mass Protection from Elements, Destruction
  8. Mass Cure Critical Wounds, Mass Death Ward, Holy Aura, Death Pact, Fire Storm, Symbol of Death
  9. Mass Heal, Implosion, Energy Drain, True Resurrection, Summon Monster IX
Enhancements (80 AP) Divine Disciple (46 AP)
  • Emissary: Light, Sacred Defense, Sun Bolt, Sunbeam, Sunburst, Transcend: Light
    1. Nimbus of Light III, Spellpower: Light III, Spell Critical: Light
    2. Spell Penetration III, Spellpower: Universal III, Efficient Maximize III, Spell Critical: Light
    3. Searing Light III, Spellpower: Light III, Spell Critical: Light
    4. Holy Smite III, Evocation DC, Spell Critical: Light
Radiant Servant (32 AP)
  • Healing Domain, Pacifism, Positive Energy Burst, Improved Empower Healing
    1. Wand Mastery III, Divine Cleansing III, Altruism III
    2. Divine Healing III, Efficient Empower Healing III
    3. (none)
    4. Divine Health
    5. Positive Energy Aura
Human (1 AP)
  • Spell Power Boost
Harper Agent (1 AP)
  • Agent of Good I
Destiny (24 AP) Exalted Angel
  1. Avenging Light, Radiant Power III, Healing Power II
  2. Soundburst III
  3. Shadows Upon You
  4. Rebuke Foe, Blood and Radiance III, Excoriate
  5. Leap of Faith
  6. Divine Wrath, Reborn in Light
Twists of Fate (22 fate points)
  1. Energy Burst: Fire (Tier 4 Draconic) OR Cold if you do Burst of Glacial Wrath
  2. Empyrean Magic (Tier 3 Crusader)
  3. Energy Resistance (Tier 1 Sentinel)

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 2, 2016

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I didn't know that about tomes either. I've been waving my mouse over my character sheet hoping to identify which were skill tomes etc, oops.

I just took Ruin on my arti (at 27) and it's pretty great. I guess I'm giving up on overwhelming critical though :( Update 29 had a ton of great caster feat buffs; I'm not sure what a twf ranger/barb would pick for epic feats at 27 and onwards? (That's the class I'm playing with and he can't decide since nothing looks too great). None of the Masters would benefit a twf fighter would they? (I had an urge to tell him Ruin for shits and giggles ;)).

Thanks for the cleric post; I do have a 16 cleric that I should reincarnate sometime, or maybe LR - she's a clonk and well monks :/ :/

What's the best way to get commendations? Do commendations at higher level quests (28+) scale up? 15 on normal and 25 on hard for Gianthold is going to be like 200 quests to get a Epic/Iconic TR heart. Ugh.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 2, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

For melee you want Epic Fortitude or Reflexes so you don't fail on a 1, or Damage Reduction since 10 PRR isn't bad. Speed is okay, but so many newer items have Speed on them it's not really worth it anymore.

For your Legendary feat you have a few options: Ethereal Plane for perma blur and hide to sneak attack damage, Arborea for just easy constant damage, Limbo for fun cycling buffs that are all beneficial besides the confetti technically. Mechanus if you're 'forged to get the reconstruct thing (maybe, haven't tried it).

For your third destiny feat: Dreamscape, Dire Charge (maybe), Deific Warding, Chaos/Law damage

And you get 2 heart seeds (equivalent of 200 commendations) every quest you complete (that is eligible for CoVs normally, i.e. first run of the day) at cap. So at worst you have to run 20 capped quests if you have 0 CoVs from leveling up.

Skill tomes don't show up in there, they just show up on your skill listings themselves as tome bonuses, which does in theory require you to be leveled up enough like the old stat tome bonuses did.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 2, 2016

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

And you get 2 heart seeds (equivalent of 200 commendations) every quest you complete (that is eligible for CoVs normally, i.e. first run of the day) at cap. So at worst you have to run 20 capped quests if you have 0 CoVs from leveling up.

Skill tomes don't show up in there, they just show up on your skill listings themselves as tome bonuses, which does in theory require you to be leveled up enough like the old stat tome bonuses did.
Ahh! Thanks a lot for this info. So I shouldn't be worrying about commendations yet; phew. Iconic TR suddenly looks significantly more fun.

Thanks for the melee feat suggestions - some of those we hadn't even looked at. Limbo looked fun and probably what I'd take if it were my character.

I heard bards got sonic buffed? Or rather, I got knocked on my rear end from bard npcs so they must have gotten buffed. Any of you play a bard recently? Every now and then I want to level my bard, and then find it pretty tedious leveling and much weaker than alternatives, so if they've gotten buffed that would be a first (?).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Swashbuckler bards are super good. Good buffs, easy access to a nearly irresistible instant kill ability, fast movement speed, tons of fun. Not Warlock levels of awesome, but still plenty good.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Warchanter freeze builds are also pretty good, playing one ATM. Both are less DPS than paladins but at least with Warchanter you move super fast and can make any non red/purple named helpless.

Only thing that bugs me with bards is that fascinated mobs contribute to DA after they wake up, you can be miles away and then suddenly DA spikes to red when you're at the boss because they all just woke up.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Also a good example of why it's not worth farming say a Bloodstone is Eagle's Eye. It's ML14 so it's not a direct replacement but it's flat out better by a large margin. And there's also Ring of the Stalker (ML15 or 13 with master craft), pretty easy to farm for, usable right away with ITR and is overall a better source of seeker even though you lose +2.

They're not exactly the same, but waiting a few levels for seeker and getting a better overall item for less work is worth it. The drop rate for U28 items could be better, but it's not Bloodstone bad.

[Edit] We actually used the ML11/9 Ring of the Stalker, which is the same ML as The Bloodstone but less work and has better mods. The next tier up is handy for Ethereal though if you're only ITRing.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 4, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Oh hey, almost missed this. DDO Producer's Letter. First thing is the letters are going to be quarterly, not yearly. Update 30 will include gnomes, including a Deep Gnome Iconic. I guess I might actually play a gnome in that case, especially if the iconic past life or class is any good. Wizard maybe? U30 also includes the new Cannith system that works with the new random loot system.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Gnomes!? That soon? Nice to see the Cannith crafting upgrades; that's what I was majorly waiting for (assuming half the recipes don't get nerfed). I hope there are fixes to the random loot gen pass (esp weapons) as well. I'd love to see cannith challenges upgraded to level 30 as well. I went and ran some challenges for a cloak of flame* and I had forgotten how much fun they were, at least the kobold ones. I wish I had more of a reason to run them more often.

*For duoing ToD, hopefully with tanking of the shadow fiend things not kiting. My current goal's been trying to see how many raids I can duo (and eventually iconic TR a bunch), being relatively undergeared and running with a twf ranger in pajamas (this is such a terrible idea these days). Fall of Truth seems very doable, with some more practice. Any of you shortmanned Caught in the Web? (Also, gently caress Abbot and its constant bugs :argh:)

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Back when I used to play, my guilds used to buddy with a few other off-guild friends and shortman CitW for drops/comms, about 5-6 usually. I'm not 100% sure if it was on eN or eH, it's been so long. Likely the former.

CitW seems doable with a duo as long as there's someone to catch your curses, and you're ready to give up the optional chest.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Doing them on elite? At level or over level?

2 manned CitW a few times on normal and don't remember it being all that bad, took a long time though so I'd recommend getting DW pots in Eveningstar if you don't have someone who can cast it.

ToD can be rough at Horoth if you don't have much defence, dude can still hit hard if you're in PJ's with no PRR. I wouldn't sweat the shadows too much as you can just scroll fireshield like in the days of yore but also now have 15% ship buff, whatever from PLs, MRR, epic destinies and lots more HP. Also less people means less idiots running around the boss causing the shadows to tic damage much more often.

Yeah guessing wizard so then we'll have all the base DnD classes covered and it fits Turbine goofiness*. In my heart I want monk though, +2wis/dex, short so great for pew pewing and monks work so well as a splash for so many classes.

*Robot paladin that sucks at using cures, int bonus on elf for the cleric, human fighter for that much needed bonus feat and dex rogue with crazy aggro pulling chain attack back when int was the main stat and they were squishy as hell.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Woden posted:

Doing them on elite? At level or over level?

2 manned CitW a few times on normal and don't remember it being all that bad, took a long time though so I'd recommend getting DW pots in Eveningstar if you don't have someone who can cast it.
The non epics on elite, yeah, but just normal at first for most of the epics (though Chronoscope is super easy, even on EH so will try EE next). The dw pot suggestion is a great idea; we have visors but it sucks when those run out or you miscast it on the other person.

We only did ToD once and the shadows wiped us and... then we realized that we had the wrong fireshield version on from one of the Gianthold items (oops, talk about a nooby mistake). If I tanked both phase 1 and 2 bosses fine (as my artificer in medium armor, in Unyielding Sentinel (I love this destiny so much), around 103 ac and 60ish prr), would Horoth be doable? I'm sure I'll end up tanking if possible, but good to know that the ranger needs to be sent running around again ;)

Re: Iconics, oh geez. I finally made a Morninglord cleric for some challenges, using the default path and build and promptly deleted her after running around for a half hour. They must do this intentionally to make players of all build-making skills feel better about the builds they make, right?!

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Noricae posted:

Re: Iconics, oh geez. I finally made a Morninglord cleric for some challenges, using the default path and build and promptly deleted her after running around for a half hour. They must do this intentionally to make players of all build-making skills feel better about the builds they make, right?!

The proper way to do this is eat a +1 lesser heart and go full Favored Soul Laser Elf.
20 levels of FVS gives you an amazing light nuke SLA.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Noricae posted:

We only did ToD once and the shadows wiped us and... then we realized that we had the wrong fireshield version on from one of the Gianthold items (oops, talk about a nooby mistake). If I tanked both phase 1 and 2 bosses fine (as my artificer in medium armor, in Unyielding Sentinel (I love this destiny so much), around 103 ac and 60ish prr), would Horoth be doable? I'm sure I'll end up tanking if possible, but good to know that the ranger needs to be sent running around again ;)

Tried to tank Horoth back at the level 28 cap as a BF monk archer, can't remember my defences but they weren't great. 120 AC and probably 30-120 PRR back with the old PRR where you needed 100 for a 33% reduction in damage or whatever it was. I was mashing recon as fast as I could and was just barely staying alive, ended up dying after I ran out of SP pots(usually never need them so only had 3 on me).

So yeah Horoth could be pretty rough. Another trick you probably already know is to twist in no fail will saves, lets you cast haste easier and opens up a gear slot.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Woden posted:

Tried to tank Horoth back at the level 28 cap as a BF monk archer, can't remember my defences but they weren't great. 120 AC and probably 30-120 PRR back with the old PRR where you needed 100 for a 33% reduction in damage or whatever it was. I was mashing recon as fast as I could and was just barely staying alive, ended up dying after I ran out of SP pots(usually never need them so only had 3 on me).

So yeah Horoth could be pretty rough. Another trick you probably already know is to twist in no fail will saves, lets you cast haste easier and opens up a gear slot.

Uhoh. I still haven't gotten around to trying it, but great info about will saves, especially since I've been focusing on reflex saves primarily and dumping cha out of my (half random loot nowadays) gear.

Question about Epic TRs: do they affect raid timers / reset raid completions? I assume no since the wiki says they're like LRs, but it would suck to be wrong. Decided to do a few of these before a chain of Iconics later this year (or at least waiting until U30 and crafting changes).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, when you ETR you keep all your flagging, completions, favor, etc.

Also the no fail will save is nice in Tower because you don't need to wear Boots of Anchoring then, the save for Banishment on Elite is 64 or maybe even lower. So if you can't fail on a 1, and you've got a 64+ save then you don't ever have to worry about Banishment. Which was sort of a neat gimmick but I'm glad they didn't extend it to any other raids.

Woden
May 6, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Yeah, when you ETR you keep all your flagging, completions, favor, etc.

Also the no fail will save is nice in Tower because you don't need to wear Boots of Anchoring then, the save for Banishment on Elite is 64 or maybe even lower. So if you can't fail on a 1, and you've got a 64+ save then you don't ever have to worry about Banishment. Which was sort of a neat gimmick but I'm glad they didn't extend it to any other raids.

Yeah that's what I meant about ToD and will saves.

I think that ETRing resets the raid timers so that you can do say ToD, ETR then do it again right away. I know it does keep completions, flagging, favour, etc. but it's been a while since I've done an ETR.

Oh yeah ETR's also clears ransack so you can farm a quest, ETR then farm it again straight away so I might be getting confused with that part of it.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
To be clear on the TR stuff :

A regular character can TR as soon as they hit 20 into an iconic.
Once you are iconic you cannot TR but must ITR at cap (30?) and with ITR you can go regular or iconic?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Correct. And yes, needs to be level 30 to ITR now.

You can also take your regular to 30 and do ETR bringing you down to level 20. Which then lets you do a regular TR still and you can go regular or iconic as per normal. Not something I'd do regularly, but it's an option, especially if it's a character you've been playing at cap.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ok so if you want to grind out pastlives just do regular TR each time you hit 20, or is the grind 15-30 much faster? I've not really played since cap was 26.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I don't think 15-30 is faster, but it might be. It's definitely more fun for me. You also get an iconic life and a regular past life. Which you can do if you do 1-30 with a regular, but gently caress doing that more than occasionally.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

DemonMage posted:

Gah. I was wondering what the save on this was, so I farmed the boots anyways just in case (and demons blood was a /pain/ to get). I should have asked here first.

Yeah, I was basically asking about raid timers and ETRs because of shroud 20th. It would be nice to be able to Epic TR and have that keep ticking, but it sounds like it doesn't (but flags etc stay) (?).

25ish to 30 felt MUCH faster for me than 20-25 ever did. The latter quests, and stuff like Gianthold (<3 Crucible) have loads more xp (100-110k+ for some, without any pots even) than the low 20s quests did early on. Those lower quests still have the same xp, and the xp needed for 21, 22 etc is higher now, so I'm not sure how tedious leveling is nowadays in the low 20s. High 20s feels significantly better.

Was there (back around Menace of the Underdark) overleveling in epic quests back then and was it removed sometime since? That is, I vaguely remember being a level or two over a quest and getting much less xp because epic quests had the same overleveling penalties as normal quests. I'm not imagining that right? I remember grinding a few quests in the low 20s a bunch because I'd outleveled others. Maybe I'm hallucinating it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

You keep your completions from ETRing, just not any other form of TR.

And yes there used to be level penalties for quests, but now there isn't. Any 20+ quest is doable at any level for full experience, for bravery it's

quote:

For Epic (base level 21 and higher) quests;
The spread between quest level and character level is increased by two, so the highest character level in the party cannot be greater than 4 levels above the base level of the quest.
This means a lvl 21 epic quest will allow bravery bonus for groups where no character is above lvl 25.

3 level range for level 20 quests.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Noricae posted:

25ish to 30 felt MUCH faster for me than 20-25 ever did. The latter quests, and stuff like Gianthold (<3 Crucible) have loads more xp (100-110k+ for some, without any pots even) than the low 20s quests did early on. Those lower quests still have the same xp, and the xp needed for 21, 22 etc is higher now, so I'm not sure how tedious leveling is nowadays in the low 20s. High 20s feels significantly better.

For the lower levels stick with doing the EXP heavy quests (spies in the house, wizking, VoN 3 and especially 5 without doing 6 if you can get it) theres a couple others besides the ones I posted but just doing daily EHard/ENorm runs of those will get you through those first 5 really fast.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
AH is all hosed up after the downtime. 3/4 of the stuff is string table errors.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah it'll all self correct once they expire or get relisted. Anything in your bank/cache will have the proper text after being removed as well. Irritating but nothings really broken.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Perpetual Notion posted:

For the lower levels stick with doing the EXP heavy quests (spies in the house, wizking, VoN 3 and especially 5 without doing 6 if you can get it) theres a couple others besides the ones I posted but just doing daily EHard/ENorm runs of those will get you through those first 5 really fast.

VoN5 is that high in xp? I finally got this down with two people just this week (those jets... ugh) but previously avoided it. Yeah, definitely recommend Wizking as well. I don't think I ever want to see Rusted blades again. *Definitely* felt the grind early on when Epic levels came out and somehow I accidentally had permanent repetition penalties on a lot of older quests, so had few options at certain levels, and especially when Wizking stopped giving epic xp. Glad to see this change.

DemonMage posted:

You keep your completions from ETRing, just not any other form of TR.
Ok, AND the raid timers reset? Hmmm, depending on how fast you could epic TR this would be a good timer bypass ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Is that newbie cleric build from above still good if you're playing by yourself?

• Locked thread